Code of Conduct

Default parfum d'empire's Fougere Bengale comments

reading reviews on parfum d'empire's Fougere Bengale puts it on my must try list..

eau noire is one of my favorites and there's something about sables that overwhelms me to wear it but i love it nonetheless.. if i can only dream of eau noire's herbal topnotes to stay longer into the far drydown instead of leaving just the sweet maple accord, it would have been more than perfect.. but anyways it is what it is..

which brings me to Fougere Bengale which sounds more than interesting for my likings until the mention of 'hay' i saw in luckyscent: "..the warm and animalic notes of Fougere Bengale recount the famous Bengalese tiger hunts in the heart of the Assam jungle where the humidity is permeated with the odor of hay."

im not sure whether this is just a description of the inspiration or is it actually an ingredient in the perfume and whether it is evident, can anyone who has tried this comment pls?? i have and love diptyque's virgilio but the twist of hay accord there gives me migraines more often than not so i cannot wear it fully!!

and is Fougere Bengale and the parfum d'empire line in general in the same heavy air as is eau noire for me? im just comparing in general to diptyque which does carry 'rich' scents but is still generally more 'transparent' than not..
    Last edited by lilyboy; 2nd November 2010 at 03:51 PM.
    p.s. cmk20 is now known as lilyboy

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Re: parfum d'empire's Fougere Bengale comments

All the ad copy talk about English dandies made me want to sample this.

I enjoy lavender. I so much wanted to love this.

Overall, I could not get over the "curry" note in the mix. This is not for me.

I think the line's Ambre Russe (amber, tea, vodka and leather) and Cuir Ottoman (a true leather with iris and florals) are wonderful.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You raise several points. I don't own FB (tried it once) but I have Eau Noire (immortelle and lavender), Chergui (my hay scent benchmark) and HdP 1740 (leather immortelle). I am a big fan of spicy scents.

The problem with immortelle is that it tends to eat everything else in a composition. Immortelle smells like liquorice, maple syrup and curry, you can't get away with that, unless you manage to cool down the composition with "cold" or herbal spices such as clove or lavender. Hay is not a cold spice to my nose, which is precisely why I like EN better than FB. FB is not really a fougere. Actually EN smells more fougere than FB due to the nice herbal lavender topnote that manages to keep the scent fresh and prevents you from smelling like your favorite Indian restaurant.

Also you might find FB a bit cloying due to its EdP concentration.

i hope i dont get curry overdose as i plan to purchase l'autre unsniffed!! anyway all the classic diptyques have been beautiful even if weird..

is the curry accord in Fougere Bengale more potent than those in eau noire and sables?

what could be the curry scent carrier as i dont see everlasting in the notes of Fougere Bengale.. so probably the tarragon..??

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    You raise several points. I don't own FB (tried it once) but I have Eau Noire (immortelle and lavender), Chergui (my hay scent benchmark) and HdP 1740 (leather immortelle). I am a big fan of spicy scents.

The problem with immortelle is that it tends to eat everything else in a composition. Immortelle smells like liquorice, maple syrup and curry, you can't get away with that, unless you manage to cool down the composition with "cold" or herbal spices such as clove or lavender. Hay is not a cold spice to my nose, which is precisely why I like EN better than FB. FB is not really a fougere. Actually EN smells more fougere than FB due to the nice herbal lavender topnote that manages to keep the scent fresh and prevents you from smelling like your favorite Indian restaurant.

Also you might find FB a bit cloying due to its EdP concentration.
    thanks.. that was very informative.. will take note.. and will also retest chergui to see if it is indeed the hay note that i am sensitive to or the thyme.. i dont remember being migraine-induced by chergui..
    Last edited by lilyboy; 2nd November 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyboy View Post
    i plan to purchase l'autre unsniffed!!

L'Autre doesn't smell like curry at all, even remotely. To me L'Autre is pure Eau de Armpit. And I love to layer it with some fresh citrus cologne to amp up the lime topnote.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post

L'Autre doesn't smell like curry at all, even remotely. To me L'Autre is pure Eau de Armpit. And I love to layer it with some fresh citrus cologne to amp up the lime topnote.
    lol.. and you are still using it (and loving it if my assumption is correct)?? im so coveting this.. hahaha.. my friends are so gonna kill me if i mistakenly wear it out

Post Thanks / Like

Fougere Bengale is wonderful. I don't get the hay at all, but I do get lots of curry. But somehow it works! And it's got that Lutens vibe I adore. I like this house a lot, actually, these strong and thick scents are right up my alley. Wazamba is definitely in my top 3 at the moment and I really enjoy Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman (and, for the record, the clearly feminine Aziyade too, although that's totally irrelevant in a male thread).

FB was only OK for me and didn't hold a candle to the masterpiece that is Eau Noire.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
    Fougere Bengale is wonderful. I don't get the hay at all, but I do get lots of curry. But somehow it works! And it's got that Lutens vibe I adore. I like this house a lot, actually, these strong and thick scents are right up my alley. Wazamba is definitely in my top 3 at the moment and I really enjoy Ambre Russe and Cuir Ottoman (and, for the record, the clearly feminine Aziyade too, although that's totally irrelevant in a male thread).
    Good description! Serge Lutens went to India and all I got was this great curry perfume.
    It's spicy and sweet and it stays with you all day. I have it but don't use it often because it's so damn long lasting, I need to be in a particularly spicy mood, or it simply wears out it's welcome. Get the smallest bottle (or a decant), I can't imagine how many centuries a 100 ml bottle would last..

Post Thanks / Like

FB is an Intense version of Eau Noire. i can see a faint resemblance to Chergui... but nothing to me in FB smells like Virgilio..

I have in my collection the company's entire line and along with Wazamba, Fougere Bengale rank among the top. It's fantastic and well worth the money IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of Sables, but I love Fougere Bengale. I agree with the comments that have been made so far. It does have a serious curry vibe that keeps it from being a frequent wear for me, but I'm glad I own the whopping 100 ml bottle of it, which will indeed last me the rest of my life. There is nothing else in my collection that smells much of anything like this one. I would highly recommend anyone who hasn't sampled it to do so. It's definitely not a safe blind buy, though. I'm not usually much of a fan of gourmand fragrances, but here the curry spices are mixed with immortalle, lavender, and tobacco, along with god knows what else. Unique for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample and to me its really weird,I'm not sure if I like it or not .Its kinda medicinal .This must be sampled first. My favorites are Ambre Russe ,Cuir Otoman (gorgeous after 10 minutes),Aziyade is also very nice , Eau Suave and Osmanthus Interdite (too bad it doesnt have longevity)

Quote Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
    Fougere Bengale is wonderful. I don't get the hay at all, but I do get lots of curry. But somehow it works!
    This is pretty much my opinion too. On my first wearing I thought there was too much cumin, but after a couple more times it's now up on my wishlist as a FB. Love it. I recommend getting a sample (or two) from LS.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me it is a sometimes wonderful, sometimes overkill fragrance. I need to be in the proper mood to wear it and then it is pure pleasure.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Nasty