Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Le Male: The Final Verdict

You all know it, and you probably either love or hate it...i'll take the middle of the road.

I'll start off by saying this is the fragrance that got me into designer fragrances. I respect its popularity, its notes, and even the bottle (love or hate, its unique). Without Le Male, I probably wouldn't have discovered very sweet fragrances...in short it'll always hold a place in my nose's heart. That being said, however, this review is my honest opinion about the smell of Le Male...sorry old friend

I purchased a 1.3oz of Le Male from Wal Mart (dont judge me!) many months ago. It was my first designer fragrances...i'd heard so much about it...i opened the can (i'll talk about that later) and sprayed it. I'd found my signature scent! (for the next month...)

The opening...well here's the notes:

Top Notes
    * Mint, Artemesia, Cardamom, Bergamot..
    Middle Notes
    * Lavender, Orange Blossom, Cinnamon, Cumin..
    Base Notes
    * Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedar, Tonka bean, Amber.

Now here's what I smell: Mint mixed with vanilla; a nuclear lavender note, and some cinnamon. I love the opening, its perfect really.

But a few minutes later, the sh*t hits the fan...

I used to LOVE the heart of Le Male...so powdery, floral, beautiful. It defied the stereotypical male fragrance, it was sensual, lush...Then came Muscs Kublai Khan. After smelling the cumin of MKK, I have been completely unable to enjoy Le Male. The cumin is so prominent and gross, it just turns the whole fragrance raunchy for me. The Mongols conquered my nose...

The drydown was (note "was", i cant even let it get that far anymore) my favorite part: vanilla and sandalwood...mixed with spices (cinnamon). It smelled like sugar cookies to me, delicious, fresh baked sugar cookies. The vanilla was super sweet, but not nauseating.

On to the presentation...

It comes in a CAN! of all things. The bottle itself is a male torso with...well, prominent genitalia. It freaks some people out; me? i could care less, its about the fragrance. But I enjoy the bottle simply because of its uniqueness, its challenge to homophobic society. It says "hey guys, you can have a sensual vanilla fragrance too!" Its a bestseller and its practically unisex. If anything the presentation, and unisex note-nature has helped it.

The longevity on me is bipolar: it can last from 4 hours to 12. I think body heat affects this, much in the same way it affects John Varvatos.

In short: Le Male is my fallen angel. I used to love it, it got my nose accustomed to sweet fragrances...but ultimately the cumin note destroyed it for me. The drydown is spectacular too, its just hard to stand the raunchiness of the heart. I will be trying this every now and then just to see if i can love it again. I highly recommend it to newer fragrance-heads, vanilla lovers, and floral lovers.

Rating: 8/10. Great opening and drydown; the heart is iffy (stupid cumin..). The longevity is usually good. Its a great powdery, floral, vanilla, spicey fragrances. Best sellers aren't best sellers because they smell bad!

Default Re: Le Male: The Final Verdict

didnt even know they sold le male at walmart

How is it compared to Le Male Terrible?

I wore this again a few months back and was so self conscious. After all the work I've put in to make sure i find something that makes me smell unique, I felt horribly generic.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I should *love* Le Male as its note list is almost tailored specifically to my tastes. Almost all of my faves are represented: artemisia, mint, lavender, orange blossom, sandalwood, cinnamon, cardamom. But the plasticky quality of the dry down is what always bothered me - it's also what bothers me about Fleur Du Male, another beautiful scent that is just a tad too synthetic for its own good.

Luckily I discovered Reflection Man which has a lot of similarities with Le Male and Fleur du Male (it's almost like a mix of the two), but has a higher quality throughout and none of the plastic in the dry down.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

Luckily I discovered Reflection Man which has a lot of similarities with Le Male and Fleur du Male (it's almost like a mix of the two), but has a higher quality throughout and none of the plastic in the dry down.
    hmmmmm...guess I NEED to try Reflection...the lack of plastic sounds inticing

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    How is it compared to Le Male Terrible?
    Le MAle Terrible is a modern take of old Le Male. Add some citrus and pepper and there you have it. It is actually very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I wore this again a few months back and was so self conscious. After all the work I've put in to make sure i find something that makes me smell unique, I felt horribly generic.
    In the love it or hate it camp - I HATE IT. The drydown is so powdery and synthetic, I really don't care how many women like the smell of it, I simple DO NOT FEEL CONFIDENT, in a manly sense, wearing something that smells like this and walking around anywhere.

I tried Kenzo Power yesterday and found this in some ways to be similar to Le Male in the drydown, but more wearable IMO. Kind of like how Paco Rabanne 1 Million I can't stand, but Antonio Banderas The Secret bears a striking resemblance, and is not so over the top and a more wearable fragrance.

Blog Entries

No-one here has mentioned the remarkable projection of this fragrance; if there's anyone within 100 yards wearing it, l can recognise it immediately. Not joking! l am both attracted & repelled by it; on the right man with moderate application it is quite sexy, but over-apply it & share an un-ventilated room with me & l'm out the door pronto!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

fountain

a pleasant well-crafted frag, imho. lm terrible is more masculine on the opening, otherwise it's no different from the original.

Solid and well-crafted creation, yet exposed just to 2 major risks: being a tad "too popular" and being perceived as to sweet by the ones not so keen on gourmand frags

Other than that, I can think about no inconveniences regarding this frag

I just think its okay. I wouldn't buy another bottle. I tend to get more complements from rochas man

On right people it smells great.
    On some people it smells funny.
    On me it smells okay.

I bought just decant because I like to smell it from time to time.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Institution

I wish this came in an EdC, I think I would like that version. As it is, it's just too much. The pyramid might as well be:

Top Notes: Tonka Bean
    Middle Notes: Tonka Bean
    Base Notes: Tonka Bean

Kurkdjian (the nose who created Le Male) has moved on to new and better creations. So have I.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    On right people it smells great.
    On some people it smells funny.
    On me it smells okay.

I bought just decant because I like to smell it from time to time.
    Totally agree with this, and on me is smells just delicious , been wearing it since 99' and still my go to guy during crunch time
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

For me, it smells better in the bottle or on paper than on my skin. On my skin, it's far too powdery which makes it feel a little feminine and cheap to me. Personally, I much prefer Cuba gold on several accounts. One.. it's not as loud, but I still get noticed; two.. far less powder; three.. cheap as hell; but doesn't feel cheap. Le Male, however, is still an icon, and it started the whole deep dark rich lavender/mint/vanilla thing which is copied over and over still to this day.

Hate!!I can't wear this and have never gotten it. On me it is a combo of a citronella mesquito candle, powder and something else sweet. I keep trying it just to see what I'm missing and it is just horrible...really bad, on me. I'm not one on sweet fragrances but even if it was and it smelled nice I'd see it. I'm sure the bugs wouldn't bite me though. Weirdly, Issey comes across the same way on me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I don't HATE it, but after several tries, it's just something I don't want to wear.
    The opening is actually quite good but after 30min the "funky notes" are coming and it starts to make me nauseous after 1-2 hours.
    It's not so unpleasant to sometimes catch a whiff of it on someone else, but I couldn't stand to have that smell sticked on my own skin for hours (yes, very good longevity btw).

First time I ever sprayed this on me, it gave me a lil bit of a headache. So, the next time -- I sprayed it on my abs and on the back of my neck (instead of spraying it on my neck) -- and problem solved; loved it. The only thing that sucks about this fragrance is that everyone's wearing it everywhere.

I actually just ordered a small bottle of Le Male Terrible from a seller in the UK. And hopefully, the news is true that this one is not/never going to be sold in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I should *love* Le Male as its note list is almost tailored specifically to my tastes. Almost all of my faves are represented: artemisia, mint, lavender, orange blossom, sandalwood, cinnamon, cardamom. But the plasticky quality of the dry down is what always bothered me - it's also what bothers me about Fleur Du Male, another beautiful scent that is just a tad too synthetic for its own good.

I will try Reflection, cause Le Male and Fleur du Male are my Top1 and 2 respectively.
    Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    a pleasant well-crafted frag, imho. lm terrible is more masculine on the opening, otherwise it's no different from the original.
    Anything called I'm terrible is worth a try.

You smell cumin in Le Male? You've got to be joking. There's nothing even approaching cumin in Le Male. Also, the pyramid fails to include the white musk note which you could drive a semi-truck through. That said, Le Male is a nice frag that was quite groundbreaking at the time but I've moved on to more sophisticated orientals such as Caron 3rd Man.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Anything called I'm terrible is worth a try.
    he meant lm as LM Terrible. In the top note pepper and citrus are prominent. In the heart you get to feel old Le Male. In the dry down Le Male is no longer powdery synth and you can feel the pepper note. Very good creation. Some of these days I'm expecting tons of threads with subject: Le Male or Le Male Terrible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    he meant lm as LM Terrible.
    Yes we know, it was a joke, & it was a good one! Every time l see that word "terrible" l read it as it would be pronounced in English, not French, & l think it's hilarious. lt's almost like a headline!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Le Male was quite groundbreaking at the time but I've moved on to more sophisticated orientals such as Caron 3rd Man.
    3rd Man or Jaipur Homme are far more pleasing to me.

I can take it or leave it, but I am glad it's in my collection.

Sur la Plage

I only like the bottle - not the juice inside.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

There is a note in the middle of LeMale at nausiates me. It is the same for Rochas Man. I used to think it was the Vanilla, but I know alot of Vanilla Frags that I am fond of. So I do not know what the note is, but it is literally repulsive to my nose. Needless to say I am not a fan of LeMale.

It's a classic.

Common yes, and I rarely wear it now, but when it first came out, weren't you intrigued?? Everything about this fragrance is great in my opinion. The presentation, the marketing, the fragrance itself.

Maybe I'll reach for it tomorrow.

I checked this one out many many years ago. Tried it in a department store, and the whole day people around me have been complaining about it. Oh well, I guess if people I care about can't tolerate it on me, then I wouldn't wear it.

To put it into proper perspective, gourmand fragrances don't go well with my skin. Not even those highly-rated A-Men creations.

I hate Vanilla and in turn I hate this fragrance.

Know what? This was a groundbreaking scent that became too popular.

Sure, analyse it to the Nth and you'll find faults with it (plasticky, chemical, too sweet etc.), but when its all said and done, when I first smelled it, it rocked my world.

Tastes and trends shift, I no longer own Le Male but will always grant it the recognition it deserves.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I'd rather wear dog poop

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Every time I smell Le Mle I'm in fresh disbelief that I ever wore it. (Daily. With afternoon re-applications.) It's...well, it's a particular scent, for a particular man. And I am not that man. Nor, I'd wager, are a good 95% of the men who do wear it, usually with too lavish a hand. It smells nice in that innocent, powdery, sweet, clean way that most of us dudes are supposed to grow out of by the time we're in our 30s. (It smells great, and somehow perfectly right, on teenagers.) So...what the eff, you 30/40something guys still buying it by the truckload? It's time to move on to something more you, less vanilla candle on steroids/high school locker room.

Also...cumin? Really? I get not the merest pinch of cumin out of Le Mle, and I can detect cumin at a thousand yards and diluted to a tenth of its magnitude.

I really enjoyed Le Male until one day I tested Body Kouros and Le Male side-by-side. It made me realize how synthetic and cheap smelling Le Male was! No to mention how overpriced it is!

i don't smell cumin either but i do get an old school vibe from it
    and i was thinking about some of the things i never want to smell like and dog shit was one of them. you are a sick man puddlemonkey

Blog Entries

I'm going to start revisiting this. I feel like I was just having bad skin chemistry days if thats possible. Something in the heart has been absolutely revolting, but I'll give it another shot for old times sake

My views on this fragrance:

I honestly don't think the smell is that great. The opening is strange, it's synthetic but there's a bit of vanilla there. I don't smell the mint that other people are referring too. The opening is kind of sweet and reminds me of plastic. People say the projection is amazing on this but I don't get that either, although other people have told me they can really smell it on me from a distance.

The dry down is alright, nothing special and it's like a powdery, synthetic vanilla. There's not a lot going on. I also think the fragrance is quite linear.

Overall, it's just not that great, I have far better smelling ones but it's good to have this in my collection purely for the projection, sillage and longevity. Longevity is excellent by the way.

Girls may well like this fragrance but the main thing is if I do. Versace Dreamer is way better than this. Way, way better.

It's impossible for basenoters (us) to be fair in their appraisal of Le Male. It's like the members of a coffee connoiseur forum praising the nespresso capsules. Won't happen.

Too synthetic, too harsh etc. we say.

In this day of woody ambers, peppery ISO-E overdoses, or bland aquatics, Le Male stands tall. Lavender, mint, and tonka. Awesome! In a way you could call it a modernisation of Caron pour un Homme. It isn't bland and it certainly wasn't safe. Go easy on the trigger and it smells great too.

Give it the damn respect it deserves. It's popular for a reason.

Wow, A fair bit of harshness on this one. After sampling many many fragrances I am always happy to come back to this old favorite. I love it, love the longevity and sillage too. I will always own Le Male.

Le Male Terrible on the other hand smelled atrocious to me, Le Male + Body Odor.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Hate this stuff, everyone wears it and that's GROSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Give it the damn respect it deserves. It's popular for a reason.
    I did, but I expected a masterpiece based on it's reputation and Youtube reviews and what I got was a strong but slightly above average fragrance.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully dissent with this fragrance. If, for example, you do a side by side cologne on paper smell comparison with Le Male or Pi, you will notice Pi smells much smoother and nicer. same with Body Kouros. What do people love about Le Male? If they do what I said they will see how Pi fares better in the end, and definitely Body Kouros. There is a cloying rubber undertone in Le Male that does not resonate well. Period.

I like the inexpensive version of Le Male known as Cuba gold much more. Doesnt smell so synthetic, it isnt as cloying and for the fraction of the original one.

PS: Did I mention that I receive more compliments from this 10 dollar fragrance than my other more expensive colognes, lol.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

If you want to smell like every Jersey Shore, Ed Hardy T - shirt wearing guy who does his eyebrows and doesn't believe that wearing his little brothers jeans is a problem then this is the scent for you!

i bought this fragrance and fell in love with it i got alot of compliments from men and women friends, i like that its a powdery sweet scent not all mens fragrance have that, it's 1 of the most popular fragrance in the whole world...it has a reason to it.