Code of Conduct

Default NEW: Noble Vetiver by Chopard

First of all, I am really really psyched because this is by my favorite perfumer Lucas Sieuzac (who did Reflection Man and Jubilation 25 for Women, along with Wicken 3000 for Six Scents).

Here's the scoop, taken from Fragrantica ( http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Chop...iver-1784.html )

"Chopard launches a new fragrance for men, Noble Vetiver, to mark the 150th anniversary of this house. The fragrance represents timeless elegance and precision of the house and it aims at men who share their passion for high quality and beautiful things.

Chopard Noble Vetiver was created by perfumer Lucas Sieuzac, who was based on woody-spicy-leathery aromas. Top notes immediately await you with elegant vetiver, accompanied by accords of bergamot, cardamom and red hot pepper. A base intertwines clary sage and mahogany leaving an impression of freshness and sophistication, while a base incorporates a luxurious trail of Barenia leather and golden tobacco.

Top notes:
    vetiver, bergamot, cardamon, hot pepper
    Middle notes:
    clary sage,mahogany
    Base notes:
    Barenia leather, tobacco

Noble Vetiver is available as 30, 50 and 80ml EDT, accompanied by 75 ml deodorant stick."

Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th November 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: NEW: Noble Vetiver by Chopard

Uh, I guess this isn't exactly brand new.. somehow I missed the memo. Well, it's news to me, and it's by my favorite perfumer. To top it off, it comes in what appears to be a beautiful bottle. I am PSYCHED!! (I need a vetiver prominent scent, too!)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sur la Plage

Sounds interesting. I will look for it at Marshalls next year - since that is the only place I have ever seen a Chopard fragrance.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th November 2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The ad for the scent is really quite classy, too. Wow, this is one of my favorite bottles, ever!

***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The bottle seems classy, and the notes promises something woody and classic. Will wait and see if this arrives at discounters with a great price.

I really know nothing of Chopard's other scents, although a quick search showed that they are all affordable at the discounters. Are they typically pricey before they get to the discounters?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It sounds interesting, although the clary sage middle makes me want to yawn a bit. The bottle is classy, but looks totally like something Cartier would do. I'll keep me eyes open for it. Thanks for bringing this fragrance to our attention.

What does mahogany actually smell like? I've smelled a few scents with it as a listed note, and it seems like those scents had a nice warm, round, and soft wood note, but I can't be sure that was the mahogany and not some other note listed.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    What does mahogany actually smell like? I've smelled a few scents with it as a listed note, and it seems like those scents had a nice warm, round, and soft wood note, but I can't be sure that was the mahogany and not some other note listed.
    For some reason I think mahogany notes are similar to those of rosewood: subdued, soft and slightly sweet, sharing some of the medicinal aspects of cedar, but I could be completely off base.

I really know nothing of Chopard's other scents, although a quick search showed that they are all affordable at the discounters. Are they typically pricey before they get to the discounters?
    It seems that they are between 70-100 dollars when they are launched, but after a time they get considerably cheap.
    From this house i only know madness, which is for me the feminine king of pepper fragrances, madness black, less peppery and more floral, and casmir, which was more about lavender and nutmeg on me than the chocolate and cherry gourmand notes and which seemed similar, but not better than, By Man on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    It sounds interesting, although the clary sage middle makes me want to yawn a bit. The bottle is classy, but looks totally like something Cartier would do. I'll keep me eyes open for it. Thanks for bringing this fragrance to our attention.
    Isn`t clary sage the note that have a urinous aspect in some creations?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    It seems that they are between 70-100 dollars when they are launched, but after a time they get considerably cheap. From this house i only know madness, which is for me the feminine king of pepper fragrances, madness black, less peppery and more floral, and casmir, which was more about lavender and nutmeg on me than the chocolate and cherry gourmand notes and which seemed similar, but not better than, By Man on me.
    Their men's offerings have been, for the most part, unremarkable. The star of their line-up has always been the feminine designated, fruity oriental Casmir.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Isn`t clary sage the note that have a urinous aspect in some creations?
    I believe that note belongs to regular sage and to costus. Clary sage is an herbaly, spicy tea odor - it has been very popular in men's fragrances for so long, to the point I think it's become a bit of a cliche.

Their men's offerings have been, for the most part, unremarkable. The star of their line-up has always been the feminine designated, fruity oriental Casmir.
    That was my impression of casran - and now i see that i confused the names. I was talking about casran, which is the unremarkable male one. Casmir i never tried, but seems interesting. Madness is a very risky one, and their pure wish seemed like a light angel more flowery and that didn`t last on skin

Quite often I find that purple or blue-ish colored juice is a warning sign that the fragrance is going to be very synthetic smelling. Give me yellows, browns, reds and clears!

I don't know ever since Coty took over the full control of Chopard Perfumes when they did away with Lancaster Parfums the line has suffered terribly. Chopard Pour Homme was a awful let down and the bottle was so cheaply done let alone the scent was so generic.

Quite often I find that purple or blue-ish colored juice is a warning sign that the fragrance is going to be very synthetic smelling. Give me yellows, browns, reds and clears!
    This is true, although I think that most scents are colored. The only time color is guaranteed to be some kind of indicator of quality/natural ingredients is when the color is imparted by the natural oils. That being said, I agree that blues are especially synthetic, usually. I've not had too many problems with purple/silver (the original Reflections, Prada Amber, The One Gentleman, etc). Maybe not the most natural but natural enough, in my estimation.

As much as I wish companies didn't dye their perfumes, I do have to admit that the color for Noble Vetiver works perfectly with the bottle and overall presentation. What I'm really curious about is if it will smell "silvery" at all. The notes list sure doesn't make it seem so, and neither does the initial report from AntonPan. A slightly metallic/shiny vetiver could be interesting, though.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

True about that, I make the same association, but Rykiel Homme was still quite nice despite its "purpleness"

I also see green as natural unless it's a fluoro like Mugler Cologne...

I'd like to try the Chopard if I get a chance.

Anyone else see or try this yet?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sounds interesting! And man, what a gorgeous bottle.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

It's on my skin right now. I'm not an expert, so i can describe it as Encre Noire minus the smoke. Totally different from Fat electrician or L'Occitane vetiver. It's sour vetiver, a bit sharp.
    Not for me.

Anyone else see or try this one yet?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Picked it up yesterday at the Chopard boutique on Madison Avenue in NY. A bit pricey for a designer fragrance - $114 for 80ml. A pleasant but very sweet to my nose vetiver.

Hednic, what do you think of the bottle? Does it feel cheap or does it look as good in person as it does in the pictures?

I'm wondering where the sweetness comes from. Is there a notable citrus element or is it mostly sweet woods?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I was thinking of it from the very first news. But then I found tobacco in basenotes - and almost forget about the scent as it tends to make any scent more sweet.
    Haven`t smell it for now (and who am I to predict?) - but definitely will try this cologne to find it sweet and dismiss...
    Hope I`m wrong. I like vetiver colognes.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I can't wait to try this for sure!!!
    Gary

Hednic, what do you think of the bottle? Does it feel cheap or does it look as good in person as it does in the pictures?

I'm wondering where the sweetness comes from. Is there a notable citrus element or is it mostly sweet woods?
    To me the bottle doesn't not feel cheap. It is pretty weighty for a 80ml.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    To me the bottle doesn't not feel cheap. It is pretty weighty for a 80ml.
    What! It's not at least a 100ml bottle??!!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Looks like it is available at a decent price at Ultra Fragrances. Tempting blind buy.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Quote Originally Posted by jzzbassman View Post
    Looks like it is available at a decent price at Ultra Fragrances. Tempting blind buy.
    It would be tempting except it's out of stock there. Also, if i recall, I believe people have had many problems with Ultra Fragrances before.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've only tried this in passing, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice, crisp vetiver and as a bonus, the bottle looks and feels very luxurious.

tott (or others) did it feel fairly natural to you, or was it noticeably synthetic? Was the vetiver prominent, or did you get more of an oriental/woody like some others have mentioned?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The way I remember it is that it felt relatively natural and smooth with a vetiver that is discrete and fleeting, kind of like the vetiver in Prada's Infusion de Vetiver. Neither are exactly hardcore vetivers. I guess I would go with the "woody" description here.

If you want a true vetiver fragrance, I would advice you to look elsewhere.

Well, I'm not looking for a straight up vetiver so this is good news indeed!

Did you find it very sweet? Any fragrances that you'd compare it's full odor profile to? Thanks again.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I would personally compare it to Burberry Classic