Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Serge Lutens scents for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    SL doesn't do "social scent", so sniff the maximum you can and let your brain choose :-)
    I agree. My advice would be to completely throw away any preconceived notions about your personal tastes and what you think you should smell like. I'm an early 20s guy too, I don't care for overly sweet scents, and I don't want to smell like I'm trying too hard either, but SL scents don't exactly "fit" any mainstream genres. If you go in, with no barriers set, you're bound to come away with some winners. Personally I love the line.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Well Tony, (nice name btw - that's my name too ) it's not that sweet scents BOTHER me, per se, it's just that I'm not exactly a fan of scents that are sweet to the point where that's only what they are - sweet and nothing else (e.g. The Dreamer, Pi).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though! I definitely have been wanting to try Muscs Koublaï Khän.....
    That's another thing I'd like to mention. Scents that are SWEET in the designer world, are generally poorly constructed, synthetic sweet scents, thus they can be very overbearing. The very good sweet scents in niche, tend to be far better balanced, and can be appreciated more easily. Chergui for example, many would say is quite sweet, but it's got enough spices and incense to dry it out and ground it into a wearable and amazing fragrance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Chergui and Ambre Sultan seem to be the most popular in the line.

Chergui smells amazing. For me personally, it is totally unwearable though, it's really syrupy sweet.
    I was not impressed by Ambre Sultan and MKK.

I'm also in my 20's btw.

Sur la Plage

Definitely try Chergui.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I arrived today and tried Serge Noir (awesome), Gris Clair (awesome), 5 O'Clock Gingembre (not my style, it was okay), MKK (VERY STRONG but different and interesting! I wouldn't wear it though), and....

Vetiver Oriental, my favorite so far. Sunday I'll have time to try more.....
    If you like Vetiverver Oriental, you better grab a bottle quick. I read somewhere that it's being removed from the export line. You should also check out the other fragrances that SL brought out from their exclusive line on a limited release. MKK is one of them, but you've tried it already. You should also try Borneo 1834 and Chene (if you can find it).

Personally, I wouldn't encourage you to try too many because you'll get very poor very quickly

Blog Entries

Trying Chergui, Chêne, Ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834 and Daim Blond tomorrow....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Blog Entries

Well, it was a hell of a tough choice to make, but I found Vetiver Oriental to be my favorite of the line, and ended up purchasing it. Vetiver is one of my favorite notes and the way it was executed in Vetiver Oriental is something awesome and unlike anything I've ever smelled.

As far as the rest of the scents I tried.....

Chergui was a delicious syrupy tobacco. An extremely rich scent that I strongly considered buying. Is this what Tobacco Vanille smells like?

Ambre Sultan was a very spicy and sweet fragrance. I didn't really like it at first, but the drydown was nice.

Chêne
    was one of the best woodsy scents I've ever smelled. Quite rich and syrupy, though.

Borneo 1834 smelled like an expensive, refined A*Men to me. I loved the usage of patchouli....and A*Men is one of my least favorite scents.

Daim Blond was interesting. A floral/musky leather. A bit too feminine for my tastes, though.

Once again, thank you all for the suggestions and kind tidbits!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

congrats on your purchase.. sounds awesome..
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chêne, not an easy one but probably the most masculine
    Miel de bois
    Gris clair
    Un Bois Sepia
    Cuir Mauresque
    Fumerie Turque

Hello all,

Soon I will be going to NYC and intend to try a lot of niche perfumes. Of course, I'm interested in the Serge Lutens line - any *masculine* smelling frags in the line that are good to start with?
    Fille en Aiguilles.
    A wild poem of pine needles, resins, smoke, amber.
    A must have!

Great choice on the Vetiver Oriental. I was getting tired of Vetivers, but this one is just a masterpiece. It doesn't do enough for a lot of people, but I find its development damn near perfect without being overpowering. The closing musk note is my favorite ever - I ended up getting a bottle of MKK and layer a spray with Vetiver Oriental to bring out the musk note earlier. Not sure if Mr Lutens would approve, but those two scents together are just perfect.

Blog Entries

Indeed, Steve, I love Vetiver Oriental's smoothness. I will have to try layering it!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel