Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Serge Lutens scents for beginners

Hello all,

Soon I will be going to NYC and intend to try a lot of niche perfumes. Of course, I'm interested in the Serge Lutens line - any *masculine* smelling frags in the line that are good to start with?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Serge Lutens scents for beginners

It depends on what you like, but I find Gris Clair to be an essential Serge sniffer. Lavender and incense, cool and hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm in my early 20's, so I don't want something that will make me smell like I'm trying too hard (in the words of Off-Scenter). I generally will take anything except for apple and cilantro. I don't really like overly sweet scents.

Otherwise, I'm excited to try the line.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

Ambre Sultan
    Chergui
    Gris Clair
    Arabie
    Cuir Mauresque

SL doesn't do "social scent", so sniff the maximum you can and let your brain choose :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Well, I'm in my early 20's, so I don't want something that will make me smell like I'm trying too hard (in the words of Off-Scenter). I generally will take anything except for apple and cilantro. I don't really like overly sweet scents.

Otherwise, I'm excited to try the line.
    If you don't like "overly sweet" scents, this will probably not be the line for you. Test Gris Clair, as has been mentioned, and Muscs Koublai Kahn if they have it. Those aren't sweet, but pretty much all of the SL line, leans toward the syrupy. I can't believe WillC suggested Arabie to somebody who wants a masculine scent that isn't sweet! Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well Tony, (nice name btw - that's my name too ) it's not that sweet scents BOTHER me, per se, it's just that I'm not exactly a fan of scents that are sweet to the point where that's only what they are - sweet and nothing else (e.g. The Dreamer, Pi).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though! I definitely have been wanting to try Muscs Koublaï Khän.....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Tony. If you're open to the sweeter ones, I'd say be sure to try Ambre Sultan and Fumerie Turque. I still have to maintain my "Yikes!" regarding Arabie, though! Have fun with your testing!

Post Thanks / Like

Gris Clair
    Vetiver Oriental
    Ambre Sultan
    Chergui
    Five O'clock Au Gingembre
    Douce Amere
    Chene

Smell all you can. Educate yourself. =)

Post Thanks / Like

Many good suggestions, I would also cite one that does not get a lot of attention and is rarely mentioned but I find Daim Blond to be a great fragrance, very well balanced and confortable. One of the sleeper of the line.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Post Thanks / Like

Not overly sweet:
    Gris Clair
    Five O'clock Au Gingembre
    Serge Noire

And....try everything from this house.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

From my own experiences, Chene does draw a slightly more masculine association, when compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post

And....try everything from this house.
    Oh, yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll check the reviews and write 'em down
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

Gris Clair
    Chene
    Borneo 1834
    L'Eau (fresh, much different from most in the line)

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Noire... it's about as manly as it gets.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Well Tony, (nice name btw - that's my name too ) it's not that sweet scents BOTHER me, per se, it's just that I'm not exactly a fan of scents that are sweet to the point where that's only what they are - sweet and nothing else (e.g. The Dreamer, Pi).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though! I definitely have been wanting to try Muscs Koublaï Khän.....
    MKK?? woooww :P nasty and beautiful.. definitely a must try from lutens.. but like i said, many call it nasty/dirty.. let us know if you liked it

i suggest daim blond.. classy, unique & easy to love.. cool suedey scent
    p.s. cmk20 is now known as lilyboy

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Off-Scenter

Given Grottola's criteria, Fille en Aiguilles, Gris Clair, Chêne, and Cuir Mauresque would be my first recommendations.

Nothing Safe in SL, and almost all of them are unisex. Having said that; Chergui and Ambre Sultan.

All of them require at least 15 min of sniffing on your skin before judging them. Do not make any decision after 3 min of blotter sniffing, what will grow on your skin is completely different and some of them are among the least linear scents on the market (e.g. with Serge Noire, you will get 3 or 4 fragrances for the price of one).

Post Thanks / Like

If you will try masculine fragrances, then look further!

Now that most of them have been reformulated, being suitable for 'beginners' shouldn't be an issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Picture Morocco when you sample them.
    It is an easier way to understand the artistic point of view for the whole line.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    And the glamorous Moroccan castles/mansions that he and the cream of the French elite reside in... thanks to your money.

Post Thanks / Like

^That's true too.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau to begin with. it's the closest lutens got bridging designer flavors to waht he does.. you could then sample Chergui, Serge Noire, MKK (it;s not tht scary, beleive me on that! ), if you liked A*Men, then Boreneo 1834 should be the next. if you ever like Gucci Envy, then you could relate to 5'O clock gingembre followed by the seminal Arabie... im sure by now your nose would be tired...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no logical progression to the line as each fragrance drew inspiration from a variety of subjects. Just sample as many as you can. And sample fragrance lines from other houses. Then go back to review the Serge Lutens and decide for yourself if your initial impressions have changed.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    It is an easier way to understand the artistic point of view for the whole line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    And the glamorous Moroccan castles/mansions that he and the cream of the French elite reside in... thanks to your money.
    ((giggle))

As has already been mentioned, try Gris Clair. They have them at Bergdorf Goodman's, Aedes and Barneys (I think).

Post Thanks / Like

Sample as many you can. Pay special attention to those you find intriguing and compelling yet not exactly love at first sniff. In my experience, the Lutens scents for which I develop a deeper appreciation and understanding over time are the scents I come to love and admire. Approach with an open mind and plenty of patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, trying as many as possible is the best solution, but my personal SL favorite remains Chypre Rouge, which I fondly recommend

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I arrived today and tried Serge Noir (awesome), Gris Clair (awesome), 5 O'Clock Gingembre (not my style, it was okay), MKK (VERY STRONG but different and interesting! I wouldn't wear it though), and....

Vetiver Oriental, my favorite so far. Sunday I'll have time to try more.....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    SL doesn't do "social scent", so sniff the maximum you can and let your brain choose :-)
    I agree. My advice would be to completely throw away any preconceived notions about your personal tastes and what you think you should smell like. I'm an early 20s guy too, I don't care for overly sweet scents, and I don't want to smell like I'm trying too hard either, but SL scents don't exactly "fit" any mainstream genres. If you go in, with no barriers set, you're bound to come away with some winners. Personally I love the line.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

That's another thing I'd like to mention. Scents that are SWEET in the designer world, are generally poorly constructed, synthetic sweet scents, thus they can be very overbearing. The very good sweet scents in niche, tend to be far better balanced, and can be appreciated more easily. Chergui for example, many would say is quite sweet, but it's got enough spices and incense to dry it out and ground it into a wearable and amazing fragrance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Chergui and Ambre Sultan seem to be the most popular in the line.

Chergui smells amazing. For me personally, it is totally unwearable though, it's really syrupy sweet.
    I was not impressed by Ambre Sultan and MKK.

I'm also in my 20's btw.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely try Chergui.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I arrived today and tried Serge Noir (awesome), Gris Clair (awesome), 5 O'Clock Gingembre (not my style, it was okay), MKK (VERY STRONG but different and interesting! I wouldn't wear it though), and....

Vetiver Oriental, my favorite so far. Sunday I'll have time to try more.....
    If you like Vetiverver Oriental, you better grab a bottle quick. I read somewhere that it's being removed from the export line. You should also check out the other fragrances that SL brought out from their exclusive line on a limited release. MKK is one of them, but you've tried it already. You should also try Borneo 1834 and Chene (if you can find it).

Personally, I wouldn't encourage you to try too many because you'll get very poor very quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trying Chergui, Chêne, Ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834 and Daim Blond tomorrow....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, it was a hell of a tough choice to make, but I found Vetiver Oriental to be my favorite of the line, and ended up purchasing it. Vetiver is one of my favorite notes and the way it was executed in Vetiver Oriental is something awesome and unlike anything I've ever smelled.

As far as the rest of the scents I tried.....

Chergui was a delicious syrupy tobacco. An extremely rich scent that I strongly considered buying. Is this what Tobacco Vanille smells like?

Ambre Sultan was a very spicy and sweet fragrance. I didn't really like it at first, but the drydown was nice.

Chêne
    was one of the best woodsy scents I've ever smelled. Quite rich and syrupy, though.

Borneo 1834 smelled like an expensive, refined A*Men to me. I loved the usage of patchouli....and A*Men is one of my least favorite scents.

Daim Blond was interesting. A floral/musky leather. A bit too feminine for my tastes, though.

Once again, thank you all for the suggestions and kind tidbits!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

congrats on your purchase.. sounds awesome..
    p.s. cmk20 is now known as lilyboy

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chêne, not an easy one but probably the most masculine
    Miel de bois
    Gris clair
    Un Bois Sepia
    Cuir Mauresque
    Fumerie Turque

Hello all,

Soon I will be going to NYC and intend to try a lot of niche perfumes. Of course, I'm interested in the Serge Lutens line - any *masculine* smelling frags in the line that are good to start with?
    Fille en Aiguilles.
    A wild poem of pine needles, resins, smoke, amber.
    A must have!

Great choice on the Vetiver Oriental. I was getting tired of Vetivers, but this one is just a masterpiece. It doesn't do enough for a lot of people, but I find its development damn near perfect without being overpowering. The closing musk note is my favorite ever - I ended up getting a bottle of MKK and layer a spray with Vetiver Oriental to bring out the musk note earlier. Not sure if Mr Lutens would approve, but those two scents together are just perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Indeed, Steve, I love Vetiver Oriental's smoothness. I will have to try layering it!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel