Code of Conduct

Default 5x Times More People in Male Fragrance Discussion than Female...

On average, there’s about 250 people in the Male Fragrance forum, and about 50 in the Female Fragrance forum (about 1/5th). It varies of course, but on average, these are the numbers.

Just wondering your thoughts as to why this is?

Why is it so much more volume?

Its intriguing.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: 5x Times More People in Male Fragrance Discussion than Female...

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

“Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I think maybe a lot of guys think subjectively that a nice cologe may actually be a like-changing experience i.e. pantydropper cologne threads and such. I don't see many women thinking that a perfume will drastically change her social life. Also, it seems that guys have a different social mentality as well. My wife is always hanging out with friends and even going out to lunch or maybe movies with them. I end up home alone with the kids and my wife lives it up with her group of friends. I think in general that guys, expecially as they get older, don't tend to be as outwardly social as women, but still have a void that internet forums can at least partially fill.

Maybe because girls end interacting more in makeupalley and fragrantica than here?
    I like to visit Female Fragrance Discussion, it`s a place safe of stupid threads, different of the male`s section.
    Last edited by rickbr; 5th November 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Without reading the links listed by previous posters, I think that males tend to be more analytical, so they come here to discuss and analyze every aspect of perfumery, and they can really get into the discussions/analyses.

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Without reading the links listed by previous posters, I think that males tend to be more analytical, so they come here to discuss and analyze every aspect of perfumery, and they can really get into the discussions/analyses.
    That

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Maybe because girls end interacting more in makeupalley and fragrantica than here?
    I like to visit Female Fragrance Discussion, it`s a place safe of stupid threads, different of the male`s section.
    This.
    Plus basenotes started off as a purely male discussion place, way back.
    But I'd say the females tend to be more active and stick around longer in terms of membership (as always, there are exceptions, right duc?)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    BN founded : August 2000

Male only at first? Yes

Female forum added : About Two years (2004)

Why less gals? See b) and c)
    I slightly readjusted grants post to make it understandable. I hope he doesnt mind.
    Smellin good

Um.......no.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I would bet my collection that at any given time, between 60-75% of posters on this board are in the "which scent gets you the most female compliments" thread. honestly, it's what brought me to this board. a very small segment of the general male population is really, truly interested in fragrance. a much, much (much) larger population is interested in getting positive feedback from women.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    a very small segment of the general male population is really, truly interested in fragrance. a much, much (much) larger population is interested in getting positive feedback from women.
    Is that for Basenotes community or just in general?
    I would agree it is true in general, but I see a lot of connoisseurs (and aspiring connoisseurs) at BN.

Is that for Basenotes community or just in general?
    I would agree it is true in general, but I see a lot of connoisseurs (and aspiring connoisseurs) at BN.
    Oh, in general. Those who post here are, on the whole, brilliantly knowledgeable about fragrances. Even those who make a habit out of "lurking," I have no doubt, are far more knowledgeable than the general population. But even here you can bet that what is probably the majority of people who visit these forums will not register a handle, will not read past the first page, and may not even click outside of whatever google thread linked them here. Cologne+female compliments yields a lot of results. Basenotes is #3, just after "collegeconfidential." A good number of people will visit this site just after reading the "collegeconfidential" thread on attracting girls with cologne, and just before the same thread on "bodybuilding.com"
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Thanks for the background about the history of the forum! I have always been puzzled by how much more active the male side is, and now it makes sense.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Blog Entries

Women can openly talk about anything related to fragrances. Guys who do that are basically labeled as metrosexual, bordering on homosexual, which in American society is a no-no. Basenotes is essentially a club/haven for guys who enjoy fragrances to talk and express their interests with other people like them, with little to no judgement.

I'm honestly impressed with the kindness shown on basenotes in that sense. There are so many genuinely good and friendly people on here. We're all just a bunch of fragrance lovers who greatly respect each other. Its probably the only message board on the internet that isnt filled with angry, condescending jerks

As expressed in previous board posts, I feel encouraged and proud that male passion/hobby/enthusiasm for fragrances won't become an extinct preoccupation pretty soon

Not so much... whenever I "visit" the male forum threads there seems to be much "what should I wear for..." and definitely "what gets the most compliments..." and a small amount of discussion/analysis. And quite a few fluffy or frivolous threads as well. (or at least what I'd consider "fluff and frivol")
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Probably simply because women have many places to go to discuss about women fragrances and fragrances in general whereas BN is THE (only proper) place to discuss about male fragrances...
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

It's just a male dominated forum - I don't think it has to do with men liking fragrances more than women. If you want it the other way around, go to Makeupalley, where it's nearly all women. They talk about niche fragrances (men's and women's) as much, if not more, than here.

Wink Re: 5x Times More People in Male Fragrance Discussion than Female...

I think it all stems from the fragrance market for years being mainly focus to the female demographics. Face it you have more choices on the market then men with more launches. It is very rare that if scent is duel branded that the men's would be launch before the women's version. The strengths to the fragrances marketed to you are pushed to ungodly limits every year - Thierry Mugler two years ago released a patented diffusion formula for Angel.

Possibly the women have been so saturated by the market that they have become board -

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Probably simply because women have many places to go to discuss about women fragrances and fragrances in general whereas BN is THE (only proper) place to discuss about male fragrances...
    Yeah I think this is pretty much the gist of it. This question comes up quite often. It's mainly just that the site was started for men. There were no fragrance communities that were catered towards us guys, so Grant changed that! Who knows where I would be if he didn't.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I have always wondered about this myself.....Sometimes I wonder if guys want to get more advice and opinions where the girls just go smell and purchase.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I have always wondered about this myself.....Sometimes I wonder if guys want to get more advice and opinions where the girls just go smell and purchase.....Gary
    Girls have been doing this stuff since they were born, and discuss it all the time with their girlfriends.

Most of this is relatively new to guys, and any individual guy would be hard pressed finding some other guy to discuss this with.
    Hence the popularity (and liberation) of Basenotes.
    Regards,
    Renato

Renato, that makes sense to me. (as a woman and a bit of an outsider I didn't discuss that so-called "girly" stuff with my friends either.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!