Code of Conduct

Default Could we use oleoresins instead of essential oils?

For instance spices oleoresins...
    Les parfums, les couleurs et les sons se répondent (Charles Baudelaire)

The odours do not have a sex. Nothing is prohibited in a perfume provided that it gets pleasures! (Jacques Cavallier)

Default Re: Could we use oleoresins instead of essential oils?

Not really. Oleoresins are designed to be used by the Flavour Industry, and have less odour (and more taste) than Absolutes or essential Oils. Also some of them are very irritating and should never be put on the skin. Pepper Oleoresin, for example, is full of Capsaicin, and will burn like the hottest chilli.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Also some of them are very irritating and should never be put on the skin. Pepper Oleoresin, for example, is full of Capsaicin, and will burn like the hottest chilli.
    Tell that to the people who make sports/arthritis rubs that contain capsaicin.

The answer to the question is, "it depends". I have some Bourbon vanilla oleoresin that smells wonderful when diluted with alcohol. In addition to the vanillin scent it has all of the other components that make real vanilla extract smell so good. The only down side that I can see is that it's very dark in color, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In any case, most of "flavor" is actually what we smell, so it seems to me that the main issue is solubility in aqueous vs organic solvents, not odor.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

All right, so, no pepper oleoresin, I was also concerned by the capcaisin...

Actually, I've ordered vanilla 10 fold essential oil from New Direction Aromatics Canada and I didn't pay attention to the description, it's an oleoresin that I've got indeed!! The smell is wonderful, made with Madagascar vanilla, but yeah, you're right, Doc Elly, it's super dark (but I am OK with it since I don't use tons and it make it authentic).

I had a look on the date sheet on NDA's website tonight, it's only soluble in water, not oil!! Oopsie, that's why my white vanilla fragranced soy candles are sweating dark vanilla "EO" since few week!!

Since it's only soluble in water, do you need an emulsifier? Or it's OK to dilute with vegetal glycerin? Could I dilute mine with alcohol?...

By the way, is there a vanilla essential oil since there is vanilla absolute?...

The odours do not have a sex. Nothing is prohibited in a perfume provided that it gets pleasures! (Jacques Cavallier)

I didn't think that Capsaicin was still used in sports rubs; if it is, it is used in very small amounts. As far as I am aware there is no Vanilla essential oil, but there is Vanilla Tincture. You can, of course make this yourself from Vanilla pods. You cannot use anything that is water soluble in a candle with or without an emulsifier. Anything with lots of Vanilla or Vanillin will tend to discolour badly.

OK, then, no vanilla EO. In fact, in January, I've made my own vanilla tincture with vodka and premium Madagascar vanilla. It's turned super great, it's still very fragrant but obviously, a tincture is not the same as absolute or oleoresin (I can't use tincture in candles without emulsifier, right?). Another question, is it possible to make vanilla oil/glycerin macerate with vanilla beans?

Not sure about using a tincture in a candle; why not try and see what happens. As it is an alcoholic solution, you may have problems with the candle burning, even if you could incorporate it into the wax.

You are right a tincture is not the same as an absolute; an absolute has been isolated from a concrete by using alcohol to extract the odiferous materials from the non soluble (in alcohol) materials. A tincture is prepared by soaking your stating material directly in alcohol. There are only a few materials that it is possible to use to make a tincture. In the case of Vanilla, the ticture and absolute are pretty damn close. If you could gently remove the alcohol from the tincture it could be used as an absolute. But I have no idea how this is done.

Again, no idea about using glycerin as a solvent with vanilla; why not try that too?

Sorry to bring this back up, but I was considering getting a "Vanilla Essential Oil" from Edens Garden to use as a simple perfume on my pulse points. I read the fine print and apparently it's actually an oleoresin (probably diluted in something, it's pretty cheap), not a diluted absolute or CO2 extract like I was expecting.

Here it is:
    http://www.edensgardenessentials.com...product_id=114

My question is, should I use this stuff as perfume, or is it too dark/discoloring to use on skin (being an oleoresin)?
    Should I go for Aura Cacia's vanilla essential oil instead (a CO2 extract in jojoba)?