Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default My collection so far...Portrait of a Lady

Here are a few of the bottles I've accumulated so far.

This is supposed to be a malachite bottle made by Ingrid (Czech). I would like to verify this but I don't know how to go about it.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th October 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Default Re: My collection so far, & Ingrid Malachite bottle

OH-MY- GOD!

That Malachite bottle is a stunner Kumquat!!!
    Actually the whole collection is lovely!
    (Nice pic of you and hubby too, btw!)

Stunning!

I'm trying to get my hands on a Guerlain bee bottle and fill it with colored water just for decoration. Well, OK, it would be even better if that bottle was filled with one of their fine fragrances - but I see the Shalimar bottle there, which is made by Baccarat, right?

My favorites have to be from Lalique. Check this one out -

http://www.contemporaryconcepts.com/...cat=732&page=1

Blog Entries

Yes the Baccarat Shalimar is really cool. It weighs a ton. It is a 4oz size! It was a gift from a friend whose mother-in-law bought it back in the 40's. My friend was clearing out some things & she knew I liked perfume so she wanted me to have it. It was kind of the start of this little group. I hadn't really spent any of my $ on the bottles, mostly the juice is my thing. Of course the bottles are fantastic, I just can't afford both!

Thanks Dimitri, for your comments on 'Ingrid'. She's a beauty. I ran across her accidentally, looking at malachite on Ebay. I had never heard of this stuff before. This does appear to be the real thing, to me. Except, I know nothing at all about it. I'm hoping it's like a long lost treasure worth thousands. I took the plunge and spent around $300. I think I got a good deal. I hope anyway.

Lovely collection!! The Malachite bottle is absolutely stunning

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat- it's beautiful - you've got a nice collection. I've started collecting Guerlain bottles as a little hobby. Will post my latest acquistion one of these days .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Kumquat, Ive had a little dig through some of my books in an attempt to identify your bottle, and uncovered a little more info.

Youre probably aware Master Craftsman Heinrich Hoffman was responsible for some of the most striking Czech perfume bottles in the 20th century. He worked in an atelier in Paris and put his ornate bottles in production in Eastern Europe. Hoffman also contributed to the glass making ventures of his son-in-law Henry Schlevogt which resulted in the beautiful Ingrid range of bottles. (These are the ones that typically feature complex agate, marble and stone finishes). They are in fact made of crystal.

In a book I have here, Perfume Bottles by Judith Miller, it depicts a turquoise crystal Hoffman bottle, with a motif identical to the figure on your bottle, whose value is in the area of $4000 and up! You can see that one pictured in this link.

Here are a few photos taken from the book (apologies for the photo quality)...

If you visit this link and scroll down a little, you will see some smaller Ingrid malachite bottles, whose estimates are around the $2000 mark, so I think you found a WONDERFUL bargain when you made your purchase!
    Enjoy it and treasure it!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 20th July 2009 at 02:30 PM.

The bottle is gorgeous, Kumquat, and I agree with Dimitir's findings that it is probably glass. Malachite is opaque with white veining, and the neck and stopper of the bottle Dimitri posted looks as though it may be made of stone. However, the carved vessel portion looks to be glass, like yours. Good color match to the actual stone, though! The Czecks have a long glass-making tradition, so historically it makes sense, too, especially given that they had a huge surge in activity during the arts and crafts era (the time period this bottle looks to be from).
    Last edited by Asha; 20th July 2009 at 02:04 PM.

They are sooo beautiful! The Ingrid bottle is particularly gorg.

I love the bottle in the middle with Faberge etched onto the glass stopper.

Dimitri how amazing that you dug up the info on the Czech bottles. Sounds like Kumquat made a savvy aquisition
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Blog Entries

Thanks, Dimitri! That's got to be the same company, "Ingrid Series". I'll check the price request & see what it says (if they will let me). I didn't get back to the thread right away bcs my modem pooped out. i'm getting a new one in 2 days. Now I'm back briefly. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks, again for looking that up. So interesting!

Gorgeous bottles, kumquat! You know me, I love pretty stones and bottles, and the Ingrid bottle is a beautiful combination of both. Before perfume, I was a rockhound. I have malachite pendants & rings (as well as lapis lazuli, jasper, etc.).

The centerpiece in the green collage is also a Heinrich Hoffman bottle for Lalique, c. 1920's.

Blog Entries

Ooo La La They just take your breath away, don't they? I want every one I see.

Your bottles are gorgeous (especially the malachite!!!). Of course, I'm curious about the cobalt blue one in the middle of your grouping. Very pretty.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Thanks for noticing those, too. That cobalt one is a favorite. It's a cut glass Victorian, I think. It's in very good shape so maybe it's only a modern style imitation. It does seem to have some age to it though. I have no rhyme or reason to collecting, just what comes along. Do you focus on blue especially (your name, I see)?

Basenotes Institution

I thought I would share my pride and joy with you. I adore this bottle . It's Coque D'Or glided and signed . Now I will try and post the pic!

There ! I managed to post a pic !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th July 2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: picture too big , inserted smaller one.

Blog Entries

Yousa!! that's a beaut! Is that the juice next to it?

Basenotes Institution

Hi Kumquat . Yes, it's the juice and it's still good - can you believe it ? It smells divine - kind of a leathery fougere. Really old world.

Blog Entries

Be still, My Heart!

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, I know ! My husband is not allowed to touch it ! It just reminds me of when perfume was so glamourous.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th July 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thanks for noticing those, too. That cobalt one is a favorite. It's a cut glass Victorian, I think. It's in very good shape so maybe it's only a modern style imitation. It does seem to have some age to it though. I have no rhyme or reason to collecting, just what comes along. Do you focus on blue especially (your name, I see)?

I adore cobalt blue glass, there is something so magical about it to me. I have quite a bit of glassware, both antique and modern in the cobalt color, but not perfume bottles exactly.

I am drawn to blue perfumes, or blue bottles, or blue in the name for some reason. I haven't bought too many perfume based on color or bottle alone.

I will admit to stopping over on ebay last night and typing "cobalt perfume bottle" in the search ... probably won't be too long until I have one (or several) in my collection!

Blog Entries

I just happened to see these atomizers that don't have bulbs. (The heavy crystal ones with round brass tops) They are made in Paris by Marcel Franck. They all work except one. It can probably be oiled.
    They can be swiveled from side to side & left to right. they really pump air when pressed. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...perfume-bottle
    http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museu.../weekend.shtml
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th July 2009 at 08:45 PM.

I just happened to see these atomizers that don't have bulbs. (The heavy crystal ones with round brass tops) They are made in Paris by Marcel Franck. They all work except one. It can probably be oiled.
    They can be swiveled from side to side & left to right. they really pump air when pressed. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...perfume-bottle
    http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museu.../weekend.shtml
    I bought a flacon of D'Orsay Milord, empty, alas, but a gorgeous little glass bottle with a portrait of the top-hatted Comte d'Orsay on the stopper. (OK, OK...I am the first to admit he never made perfume...)

Very small and precious!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

This is one of the recent acquisitions. I think this is possibly also from the same group that made the Ingrid series.

This is a Limoges I just got. I don't know anything about Tharaud, either.

A close up of the victorian style bottle. I'm not convinced it's an antique. My cat conveniently provided the dark background. And a couple of black glass bottles.

Faberge.

This is supposed to be Victorian era. It appears to be full of a dark liquid. There is a funky 50's bottle in the background.

Crystal pieces.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th August 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Oh, my! I am so envious! They are so lovely!

Thank you for sharing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: My collection so far... Additional bottles

Oh Kumquat- was gorgeous bottles ! I love them all especially the beautiful orangey one related to the Ingrid and the Limoges - really lovely. You got good taste, woman !

Dependent

oh wow.... those are some beautiful bottles....

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    oh wow.... those are some beautiful bottles....
    I agree, matthewfoo! I am going to stop looking at this thread, because the last thing I want to do is start collecting something new.

Kumquat, your collection is gorgeous!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I guess I went a little wild. I decided if I'm going to collect, I want to have very different bottles. A wide variety, so while the collection may appear to be all over the place, it reflects my eclectic interests.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th August 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Basenotes Institution

It's fabulous Kumquat - I will also have to stop looking because bottle collecting is so tempting !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th August 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Probably 1950's, Irice.

Last edited by kumquat; 28th August 2009 at 06:24 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat ! You are doing me in ! Such gorgeous bottles* swooning*

So many breathtakingly beautiful bottles! This is a wonderful collection.

And thank you for the close-up of the cobalt blue one.

Blog Entries

Thank you all for indulging me my crazy new obsession. Make a note: Don't wear bright pink when photographing reflective things.

Absolutely lovely bottles. Your kitty is even more lovely though. Why have you not opened the Faberge Flambeau, i wonder what it smells like?
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

I have the empty Faberge and I got some rough idea from that. I thought it would retain its value if I didn't open it. Plus, since it is probably an ambery frag something like Tabu (I gather) I decided not to take the plunge. But I might sometime, you never know.

I have the empty Faberge and I got some rough idea from that. I thought it would retain its value if I didn't open it. Plus, since it is probably an ambery frag something like Tabu (I gather) I decided not to take the plunge. But I might sometime, you never know.
    Oh, how marvelous and lovely! Such rare finds!

Blog Entries

Here are a few new bottles & some group shots.

This stopper doesn't go with this bottle, but I think it looks pretty good. It's a little too small, though for a good fit.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th August 2009 at 06:35 AM.

I love them all - especially the last one. It looks like Lalique? I bet it would be amazing to see a photo of all of them compiled!

Blog Entries

Thanks, Anthony. I think the last one goes to a perfume called "Isadora" named (I assume) for I. Duncan, the dancer. You are right, it is Lalique.
    Here is a nice bit of info on that perfume: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th August 2009 at 06:48 AM.

Stunning!! I wish I had more space in my condo to house a beautiful bottle collection like yours. Thanks for the background reading - always great to learn some history!

Thanks, Anthony. I think the last one goes to a perfume called "Isadora" named (I assume) for I. Duncan, the dancer. You are right, it is Lalique.
    Here is a nice bit of info on that perfume: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat- the Isadora is wonderful - you have the most beautiful collection and exquisite taste. I love it !

Kumquat, what do you know about these bottles? What are their markings? These look very similar to 1920s to 1930s bottles created by Lalique for Molinard!

Blog Entries

On the gold plated cap it reads, "CORDAY-PARIS, BREVETE S.C. D.C.". and on the bottom MADE IN FRANCE CORDAY
    I did see the Lalique version in 'Antique Trader Perfume Bottles Price Guide'. But it has a push-top sprayer and is 7 1/2" tall. These are 4 1/2" tall.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th August 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries

I believe the round one may have had Vol de Nuit in it. Next, the tiny Dans la Nuit (Worth), and a Victorian cut crystal atomizer.
    I can smell the Infini through the stopper & it still smells fresh. I plan to open it soon & will report on it. This is a holy grail bottle for me!

Last edited by kumquat; 2nd September 2009 at 03:41 AM.

*thud*

Basenotes Institution

Kumquat - I LOVE that Infini bottle- it's so round and voluptuous !

Blog Entries

Dimitri, are you ok?

*still feeling woozy*

Oh my! more gorgeous cobalt bottles! I LOVE them ...

Blog Entries

My HOLY GRAIL bottle has indeed arrived. Sorry to shock you so soon after the Infini. Sometimes these things come in clumps I guess. Maybe I can stop collecting now. Yes, the juice is good. It's amazing! Closed up in its box for all this time. It was sealed when I got it. (The bottle had wire on it, box was open.) The address reads: Caron, 10 Rue de la Paix, Paris France
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st September 2009 at 07:10 PM.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP.

Holy SMOKES (get that? Smokes? Tabac Blond? I slay me!) kumquat! I know that this is probably your number one scent thrill of a lifetime! Actual high-quality vintage Tabac Blond! Congratulations!

And, congratulations, also, to the little bottle of TB, it couldn't have found a more appreciative home!

PS: I have the Book House books in the same edition that you have!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

Thank-you, Mo. It really is. I am much calmer now. No kidding. I don't know how it happened. Maybe folks weren't bidding because it was in Barcelona, Spain? I took a chance because it was sealed & in it's box for criminey sakes! The force was with me. Then I had them ship it under $20 value, no insurance. It made both of us nervous. But customs paid no attention to it. It was marked "gift" "used cosmetics" as per usual. And voila!

Default Re: My collection so far...More goodies

Oh, lordy....I was probably watching that auction, even! I'm watching a few now that I hope do OK...none of this caliber, but I was thrilled to get a mint unopened vintage bottle of original Youth Dew bath oil for only $4 last night.

PS: OK, I got nosey and went to ebay....couldn't find yours, but look at the price this one fetched:

EGADS

And, that's with NO BOX.
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 1st September 2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

Blog Entries

Carumba! I know, that's the usual. I only got up into the mid $240 or something. Isn't that crazy? I never thought I could get my hands on one ever. For some reason it wasn't that big of a deal. The people didn''t put a high price on it & it never got too high. When I got it it was evaporated some and smelled too much like gasoline, even after the dry-down, then it was all powder, so I put a few drops of Everclear in it. I experimented outside the bottle first with a tiny bit. I ended up putting 8 drops in the whole bottle. It seems back to it's bright leathery self. It is def more leathery than the current formula, but I can say that I enjoy the current one equally well.
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st September 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Kumquat - its a stunner!!! Congrats and enjoy! *sigh*

I have no words ...

Congratulations!

Couldn't resist another peek, Kumquat. You are having so much fun! I'm amazed at the variety -- eclectic, indeed! Thanks so much for sharing these with the rest of us.

A quick (and ignorant) question: I see that some folks here are calling that big Shalimar a "bee bottle." I've always called that design a "fan bottle" for lack of a better term, I think of bee bottles as the big ones with little bees all over like this:

Am I wrong?

My goodness your collection is glorious. I adore the Isadora bottle stopper. I have owned Isadora since i was young, only in the EdT, i hope one day to find the extrait in a bottle with that beautiful stopper.
    The Carons are amazing also.
    ((((HUGS)))) for you. Keep sharing, i adore viewing your treasures.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

Mo, I'm sure you're right. That's a bee bottle in the picture you are showing. I think somebody may have been confused.