Code of Conduct

Default Help finding youthful chypre?

Hey everyone,

I hope I don't sound too unintelligent. I'm completely new to perfume.

I think I smell best in chypres. I'm pretty young and most girls my age tend to lean towards fruity and floral fragrances. I don't see anything wrong with that but I love deep, heavy scents. However, many perfumes that fit into this category often seem better suited for mature women.

I am looking for a new 'signature' perfume, I guess. I was wearing this perfume from Saudi Arabia almost obsessively. I'm not good at describing smells but it was sweet and androgynous leaning more feminine. I don't know if this makes sense but it smelled... wet? I guess it would be categorized as a Mossy Woods perfume. It was perfect. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get it in the states and the bottle didn't have a brand name.

Anyways, I need help finding some 'wet' youthful chypres. The more long-lasting the better.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Help finding youthful chypre?

Hi Najma, welcome to Basenotes! There are alot of good chypres out there. Here is a list of a few standard ones.
    Guerlain Mitsouko- a fruity chypre
    Chanel No. 19- a green chypre
    Robert Piguet Bandit- a dark chypre
    Lancome Magie Noire- a rose chypre
    Chanel Cuir de Russie- a leather chypre
    Gres Cabochard- aldehydic chypre

More youthful chypres would be
    Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    Dior Miss Dior Cherie
    Narcisco Rodriguez for Her
    Narcisco Rodriguez Musc for Her
    Gucci Gucci by Gucci

I hope this gives you a few to try.

Thank you very much! I've tried the Gucci by Gucci and I absolutely loved it as it has been the closest to the Saudi perfume I mentioned. However, it doesn't seem to last very long on my skin. I'll definitely give those a go. I've heard very good things about a lot of those perfumes.

Although not really a true chypre, Cartier's So Pretty shares the deep and satisfying mossiness of all of my favorite rose-chypres but with a fresh and modern squeeze of tart blackberry in the topnotes. It's gorgeous, chic and sophisticated, and it completely holds its own against many of my favorite classics, even vintage chypres. Both sillage and longevity are great.

Top - mandarin, neroli, bergamot, jasmine, blackberry
    Middle - iris, rose, orchid
    Base - vetiver, sandalwood, oakmoss, benzoin, musk

I'd also recommend La Perla's Parfum Privé. Although classified as a "modern chypre" it's really a straightforward floral with some chyprey tones to it (along the lines of Jean Patou's 1000 without the civet) but you might find it more modern and wearable, also fresher and less dense, than a classic chypre. I'm not sure about the "wet" part, but it's not nearly as dry, dark or austere as many chypres can be. Its notes include clementine, magnolia, sandalwood, musk, orchid, freesia, osmanthus, rose hip, vetiver and ylang-ylang. Perfectly posh, radiant and beautiful, I highly (and frequently!) recommend this one.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Chanel's Cristalle is a green chypre, very energizing and youthful. Revillon's Turbulences is dark, base heavy, loaded with oakmoss.

I recommend you a new chypre which is 'wet' and youthful : Une rose chypree by Andy Tauer , lasting very long on skin