Code of Conduct

Default Alternative to Guerlain's pricey Spiriteuse Double Vanille

Yesterday, I tried Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille (SDV). For the first 15 minutes, it smelled hideous. Then, it became the most lovely, boozy, straight-out-of-the-pantry vanilla extract smell. But I can't afford the $225 price tag, so I'm looking for a similar substitute. The issue is complicated by the fact that I hate certain vanilla perfumes (see below).

Here are my guidelines:

-I hate Vanilla Fields, and Shalimar makes me kinda quesy- they're too sugary.
    -I love the booze and vanilla combination of real vanilla extract. I've even tried dabbing it on as a scent, but it disappears in 5 minutes.
    -I don't like any other scents in the vanilla- no florals, nothing extra, just plain old boozy kitchen vanilla.
    -Prefer under $100.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, I can't afford the $225 price tag of SDV. So, does anyone know of a straight up boozy vanilla that smells like the stuff in your pantry? I want to smell like I dumped the real extract on my head.

Default Re: Alternative to Guerlain's pricey Spiriteuse Double Vanille

Note Vanille by M. Micallef may be a good substitute, and you can find it for half the price of SDV at ebay

Welcome to Basenotes!

You may want to try Yves Rocher Bourbon Vanilla http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129364.html

It lacks Spiriteuse Double Vanille's depth and complexity, but it is well below what you are willing to spend.

L'Aromarine Vanille might work for you too. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128159.html
    Last edited by socalwoman; 8th November 2010 at 02:34 PM.
    "Scent is very important. Strong fragrances suit some men, while citrus types suit others. I like my men to smell fresh and woody, but also like a man."
    Donatella Versace

Wow you're like me.i too cannot stand concentrated vanilla but LOVE SDV.

Blog Entries

You might try Parfumerie Generale-Aomassai it is a boozy vanilla with a coffee/licorice underneath that gives it a woodsy feeling. It's deep vanilla, not overly sweet.

how about just straight up perfumer's version of vanilla?

I was in mexico and picked up some pure extract in oil... would soemthing like that work?

PS:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/213...le-alternative
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Note Vanille by M. Micallef may be a good substitute, and you can find it for half the price of SDV at ebay
    Totally agree with Rickbr, Note Vanille would be a good choice. Another excellent one would be Vanille Absolu by Montale.

Thank you, everyone, for all the suggestions so far. As a perfume novice, I was wondering which of these scents would be most likely to be found in, for example, a Sephora or a high-end retailer like Saks or Nordstrom (there is a fancy mall within an hour's drive of where I live.) I didn't figure they'd be at my local Walgreens... Couldn't be that lucky, could I?

I am hesitant to buy a bunch of samples online, because that will eat into my overall perfume-buying budget, so I was hoping that some of these can be sampled in person.

Quote Originally Posted by epcotfan View Post
    Thank you, everyone, for all the suggestions so far. As a perfume novice, I was wondering which of these scents would be most likely to be found in, for example, a Sephora or a high-end retailer like Saks or Nordstrom (there is a fancy mall within an hour's drive of where I live.) I didn't figure they'd be at my local Walgreens... Couldn't be that lucky, could I?

I am hesitant to buy a bunch of samples online, because that will eat into my overall perfume-buying budget, so I was hoping that some of these can be sampled in person.
    There's nothing wrong with those stores, but often ordering samples is often the way to go. Somebody mentioned Montale's Vanilla Absolu, and I recently tested it and loved it (very persistent "pure vanilla" scent, not overly sweet), as well as the sweeter but VERY beautiful Vanilla Extasy, also by Montale. They are not too expensive compared with SDV. The Vanilla fragrance I adore, however, is Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, very rich and gorgeous, and almost half the price of SDV. You can imagine which one I would buy, no offense to SDV lovers.

Rereading your original post, you would hate Un Bois Vanille. As suggested above, go for Montale's Vanille Absolu rendition of vanilla, since that's most likely what you are looking for. Many other good options already offered above.

gloria by cacharel (discontinued) but you might find it! It is a boozy vanilla (amaretto and vanilla) and to my nose smells very very like SDV.

Blog Entries

Samsara by Guerlain is available most places. For a more oriental vanilla, there's always Shalimar.