Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default And after much searching, the Holy Grail has found its twin brother...the elegant twin

So I've been trying to get into the whole "niche" thing. I never really gave a damn about them as they were disgustingly priced, and probably over rated. I've tried Creeds, and nothing really grabbed me. I tried Serge Lutens, and was impressed by many of their offering (actually all of the one's i've tried have been nice). But again nothing really made me want to re-think my opinion on niche (cept Chergui, which is growing on me).

Along came Tom Ford...

The other week I got a few samples in the mail: Tobacco Vanille. I got a 4ml and a few 1.5mL samples. I tried it out...and it made my head spin (literally, it made me somewhat lightheaded, but I expect that at this point lol). I'd never smelled something so elegant, so classy, so sweet, so spicy, and so PERFECT. I expected my interest in this to die down (i've learned to NEVER buy a bottle until i've tried it for minimum a month). And it's anything but died down. Two weeks later i'm addicted, i can't get over how perfect I find this fragrance. I never expected ANYTHING to be able to top A*Men, and it really hasn't. A*Men is more casual, while Tobacco Vanille is the absolute definition of classy. I think I've found the solution for my searching: a classy gourmand.

I made my own bottle of it even (lol, its pretty sad, i'll post a picture of it later)

I took a 15mL Vurt (pacsun garbage) bottle and emptied, boiled it, and filled it with all the TV samples I had. I've now got a 10mL bottle of Tobacco Vanille

In addition to that, I got a sample of Oud Wood today and it's really impressed me. It reminds me alot of Thierry Mugler fragrances, as if Thierry Mugler hired Tom Ford to make a fragrance.

So in conclusion: Tom Ford is a damn good fragrance line. Everything I've tried from the line has impressed me immensely

Here's my "bottle":
    Last edited by Neurosis; 8th November 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Default Re: And after much searching, the Holy Grail has found its twin brother...the elegant twin

I just picked up a 10-frag sampler pack as well. Just posted on it in another thread, but suffice it to say that Tom Ford Private Blend is the real deal. Of the 10, there are two I consider full bottle worthy (Tobacco Vanille and Noir de Noir), and four others I'd buy if the opportunity presented itself (Tuscan Leather, Bois Marocoan, Italian Cypress, Black Violet).

Given that my other favorites include Gucci PH, Rive Gauche PH, and YSL M7, I think it's fair to conclude that I'm a Tom Ford fan.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Default Re: And after much searching, the Holy Grail has found its twin brother...the elegant twin

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    So I've been trying to get into the whole "niche" thing. I never really gave a damn about them as they were disgustingly priced, and probably over rated.
    Loved the "probably over rated" part said after having tried 2 houses.

Niche is not all about Creed, and I guess there has to be a reason why every member which is on this board since more than a year has got at least some niche fragrances in his wardrobe. For some reason the general statement that niche (in general, not one house in particular) are overrated always comes from people who actually don't have a clue about them. (No offense though, just a statement).

TF is nice indeed. Now try some Montale, Malle, Amouage, Nasomatto, Tauer, Divine, Profumum, or le Labo and you'll see what it is really about and whether it really is overrated.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    I just picked up a 10-frag sampler pack as well. Just posted on it in another thread, but suffice it to say that Tom Ford Private Blend is the real deal. Of the 10, there are two I consider full bottle worthy (Tobacco Vanille and Noir de Noir), and four others I'd buy if the opportunity presented itself (Tuscan Leather, Bois Marocoan, Italian Cypress, Black Violet).

Given that my other favorites include Gucci PH, Rive Gauche PH, and YSL M7, I think it's fair to conclude that I'm a Tom Ford fan.
    Noir de Noir is amazing and my fav among the line.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Noir de Noir is amazing and my fav among the line.
    I love it too. Also Moss Breeches, Tuscan Leather, Amber Absolute, and Tobacco Vanille. Those are my 5 favorites from that line. Haven't really thought the musk collection is all that worthy of the price, but I need to give them some more wearing time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Loved the "probably over rated" part said after having tried 2 houses.

Niche is not all about Creed, and I guess there has to be a reason why every member which is on this board since more than a year has got at least some niche fragrances in his wardrobe. For some reason the general statement that niche (in general, not one house in particular) are overrated always comes from people who actually don't have a clue about them. (No offense though, just a statement).

TF is nice indeed. Now try some Montale, Malle, Amouage, Nasomatto, Tauer, Divine, Profumum, or le Labo and you'll see what it is really about and whether it really is overrated.
    You seem to have misunderstood me. That was my attitude before trying any niche. I'm saying I hadn't because I assumed they were just over rated and over priced, mostly because I was too lazy to or already content with designer fragrances

Yeah, I don't get this attitude before trying it either. That 's what I said referring to people who had no clue about them, it does actually kind of confirm precisely what I said. I'm glad you changed your mind anyway, and my comment was not aimed to you directly but was more general, i've always found weird and stupid to judge something before having actually tried it properly. But that's just my two cents.

Tom Ford is the line that got me in the niche game. They're mostly simple fragrances extremly well done. But i have to tel you, you gotta give serge lutens another shot; that house has went from unimpressive to my favorite. Another easy to like yet very well blended and unique house (but is rather complex compared to tom fords simplicity) is frederic malle. Of course you probably know their prices.

I'm a fan of a number of the private blends from Tom Ford (from the small amounts that I've been able to try). My current favorite is probably Neroli Portofino. Seems like an odd choice for a "current" fave in the fall, but it's the most recent one I've tried. Good stuff.

well if Neurosis likes it, i know ill like it. cant wait to try this one out

My favorite frag house. TF was the first "Niche" line I tried because of interest in Tom Ford and his history as a designer.

About 16 months ago I sampled TV, Neroli Portofino, and Tuscan Leather. That day I purchased Tobacco Vanille and it has been my favorite ever since. Because I had such a great experience at my first purchase I continued to frequent the Tom Ford counter and Neimans and secured 4ml samples of Italian Cypress, Bois Moracan, White Suede, Musk Pure (another favorite of mine) and made some more purchases of Oud Wood in the refillable atomizer (They filled another one with Black Orchid for my wife) and a 50ml of Azure Limes.

This will sound funny but Tobacco Vanille is the one fragrance I hold sacred. I count the sprays and constantly look to see what I have left in the bottle eventhough I only wear it 3-5xs a month.

I took a 15mL Vurt (pacsun garbage) bottle and emptied, boiled it, and filled it with all the TV samples I had. I've now got a 10mL bottle of Tobacco Vanille ...
    I know this isn't the point of your thread, but what is this Vurt bottle of yours ? I've never heard of it, but it looks nice and of good quality. Where can one find one ( or many ) ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I dont trust you Neurosis, you A*Men lover.

:-P

Tom Ford is NOT niche. He's a designer, do some research !

And I love Tobacco Vanille ! <3
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

As much as I like Tobacco Vanille, I don't think it's "classy" or "elegant". It's simple, loud, synthetic and rugged. But it smells good.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post

This will sound funny but Tobacco Vanille is the one fragrance I hold sacred. I count the sprays and constantly look to see what I have left in the bottle eventhough I only wear it 3-5xs a month.
    Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    I think most people consider his Private Collection line as niche.

Designer can make "niche" perfume (ex: Guerlain isn't a designer and not "niche". Leonard is a designer and produce "niche".)

The niche statue for SL export line is questionnable (at least in Europe).

theres this whole debate about niche Vs designer going on.

Guerlain private line can be consider niche

But not Tom Ford, its readily available here where I live (which is a really small city). Ur lucky to be lviing in France
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

i also love the Tom Ford frags..........Grey Vetiver, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Moss Breches and Bois Rouge are the ones i currently have, and i'm looking forward to adding more to the collection...

Clever reuse of your old bottle! And woot! for finding another HG.

What a pleasant surprise
    I disliked A Men but I disliked TV even more
    It smelled like some honey to me, too much for me to wear
    I do like Grey Vetiver however, real nice option for vetiver
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Next one down for some arguably overrated, overrated stuff
    I like that you like it but personally dont like it.
    Smellin good

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I know this isn't the point of your thread, but what is this Vurt bottle of yours ? I've never heard of it, but it looks nice and of good quality. Where can one find one ( or many ) ?
    The bottle i emptied was Vurt Red. It gave me horrible headaches and smelled like garbage. Its an old line of cologne Pac Sun carried up till this year...to be blunt they're atrocious and not worth your time to even attempt to smell them

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    well if Neurosis likes it, i know ill like it. cant wait to try this one out
    Trust me, you'll love it. There's chance you might not like the spices (its a spice bomb). I agree with Katie Puckrick about it smelling like egg nog. It does to a degree, and it really reminds me of Christmas. Its some great stuff!

The bottle i emptied was Vurt Red. It gave me horrible headaches and smelled like garbage. Its an old line of cologne Pac Sun carried up till this year...to be blunt they're atrocious and not worth your time to even attempt to smell them

Trust me, you'll love it. There's chance you might not like the spices (its a spice bomb). I agree with Katie Puckrick about it smelling like egg nog. It does to a degree, and it really reminds me of Christmas. Its some great stuff!
    oh dude ill definetly like the spices if it has a egg nog-ish vibe. i can imagine what it smells like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    oh dude ill definetly like the spices if it has a egg nog-ish vibe. i can imagine what it smells like.
    I sprayed it on yesterday night and I could still smell it at 2PM today, pretty strongly. Its extremely potent stuff, which i'm sure you'd appreciate haha

Blog Entries

After wearing my "combo" bottle, and trying all the different samples I have, im noticing differences in them.

4mL - more tobacco and spice in the top, blast of cocoa right at the start, really spicy heart

my bottle - much sweeter opening, much sweeter drydown, there's more of the eggnog accord in this

is it possible the trace molecules left from the Vurt cologne altered Tobacco Vanille? I've had it in a sampler of Hanae Mori (the atomizer of my original TV sample was aweful) and it straight up ate the remains of Hanae Mori. Vurt Red is infinitely weaker, and I also boiled all the parts of the bottle until no trace of it remained.

Has anyone noticed differences in their samples and/or bottles of Tobacco Vanille?

hey just wondering guys:

does Tobacco Vanille have any similarities with YSL Opium Pour Homme? They both have Vanilla and they are both spicy.

Honestly TV isn't that spicy to me---it comes across as relatively simple, with tobacco and vanilla comprising 99% of what you smell. That said, it's a terrific scent. It's only like Opium PH to the extent that there's a lot of vanilla in it. I think it's a far better scent though. In fact, I'll sell ya my Opium PH to help fund my purchase of 50ml of TV if you're interested
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!