Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ma Griffe by Carvin, vintage. Really?

I have noticed rather high prices online for Ma Griffe Vintage. That would seem reasonable except that Carven will shortly be going back to the original formula to gain back old customers and entice those who would prefer the original product quality. A good move on Carven's part IMO. Too bad some of the other fragrance companies don't follow Carven's good example.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 9th November 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ma Griffe by Carvin, vintage. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I have noticed rather high prices online for Ma Griffe Vintage. That would seem reasonable except that Carven will shortly be going back to the original formula to gain back old customers and entice those who would prefer the original product quality. A good move on Carven's part IMO. Too bad some of the other fragrance companies don't follow Carven's good example.
    N,

This is good news indeed. Where did you read / hear this - and how will I be able to tell the new (old) Ma Griffe from the poor imitation currently on the shelves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is the story: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/256...ven%2C+vetiver

See original post at the above address.

Ma Griffe Good News! I was reading a basenotes thread by wildwill on the men's board about the new Carven "Le Vetiver".

ROBERTO posted a web address for the Scented Salamander regarding "Le Vetiver" being re-released in it's original formula. As I read on Carven, apparently under new ownership, has decided to re-release, in original formulas, "Ma Griffe" and "Eau Vive". Too bad some of the other perfumers have not got with this program. I am eagerly awaiting availability of all three of these fragrances.

Thanks to wildwill for his posting on the mens board for Le Vetiver and thanks to ROBERTO for the web address below that further helped get the information out on Ma Griffe by Carven. Basenotes is a great resource.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...dition_19.html

I am waiting for the new stuff myself. Not sure what differance the packaging will have, but I am sure they will want it known that the original forumula has been restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    N,

This is good news indeed. Where did you read / hear this - and how will I be able to tell the new (old) Ma Griffe from the poor imitation currently on the shelves?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 9th November 2010 at 03:50 AM.

Very interesting! Thanks for the tip.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

Just for those also searching, the reference point is:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...dition_19.html

Which includes this commentary:

"Carven has had new owners since July 2008 and the proprietors want to go back to the roots of the historic label. They are planning to release an authentic version of Ma Griffe -- which is in dire need of it as it has been undone by blotchy reformulations lately -- as well as Eau Vive which will be released as an unisex scent."

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be very curious as to what they can do, considering the new regulations. Ma Griffe is full of oakmoss and other restricted ingredients.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember who heard it from, but I remember fairly recently hearing that a couple companies, firmench is one I believe, are coming out with some amazing AFRA compliant oakmoss specialties; who knows, we may be able to, at least partially, get some of the old chypres back.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds wonderful, but with all the regulations in place I have some doubts. I have a vintage bottle and it is "potent", maybe "volatile" is a better adjective. There are many things in the original I am sure would probably be considered highly toxic at this point, including those wonderful nitro-muscs which will probably cause me to sprout a tail one day in the future
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Now, can we persuade Rochas and Fendi (among so many others!) to follow suit?

reine

Wow, if this is true, that is wonderful news! It's certainly a step in the right direction at least. I only hope this isn't a ruse being used by marketing strategists. Only the juice will tell for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    Now, can we persuade Rochas and Fendi (among so many others!) to follow suit?

reine
    Rochas is holding on to dear life by a thread, if even that. The sheer fact that anything is available from the company, fragrance-wise, is an act of the almighty. I do not think they have the clout it takes to do anything except exist in name.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Rochas is holding on to dear life by a thread, if even that. The sheer fact that anything is available from the company, fragrance-wise, is an act of the almighty. I do not think they have the clout it takes to do anything except exist in name.
    And that is so sad as they have discontinued or altered so many beauties. I wonder how my mother and grandmothers lived such long lives before governments took control over these ingredients? And Fendi it appears is gone forever as a perfume house.