Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Serge Lutens - Jeux de Peau

From osmoz.com:

Serge Lutens is as playful as ever, and his latest fragrance, scheduled to launch in early 2011 will probably surprise you: it smells like buttered toast! The somewhat farfetched idea behind this eccentric scent was that Serge Lutens wanted to recreate the odor of the buttered toast he liked so much as a little boy. To all those – men and women, since it’s a unisex scent – who will be tempted to “butter themselves up” with this unusual, oriental-charred-wood scent, Serge Lutens professes, ‘Eat, for this is my body’. But just what notes actually go into ‘Jeux de peau’ (“Skin Games”)? Monsieur Serge is staying mum about the formula, so we’ll just have to enlighten you. Very sandalwood / milky at the top, the fragrance soon reveals a toast accord with a few sweeter and floral facets that call rosewood to mind, and other, more sugar-and-spice ones, with a licorice-coco feel to them. A hint of something apricot-fruity (would that be osmanthus by any chance, Monsieur Serge?) brings a finishing touch to this tasty breakfast in a bottle. Rumor has it that this toasty eau de parfum even contains a wheat extract. To be sure, you’ll have to wait until February or March...

Last edited by petruccijc; 9th November 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Serge Lutens - Jeux de Peau

It sounds awesome! Like many of SL's scents, innovative and high-quality but so not wearable by me (though maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge...), it sounds just fascinating, all the way through.

I always wondered why nobody tried to recreate the wonderful aroma of warm butter and toasted bread. It seams that Lutens granted my wishes. Will this one be launched in the export or paris exclusive line?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Like many of SL's scents, innovative and high-quality but so not wearable by me...
    Exactly. It's all very impressive to have recreated the scent of buttered toast. But if I want to smell buttered toast, why would I spend $150 for a bottle of perfume to approximate it and not just toast some bread and butter it? And, as delicious as simple buttered toast is, do I really want to walk around all day smelling of it? Maybe the next SL release will be the scent of bacon and eggs frying and we can layer the two?

It may be an interesting -- even amazing -- technical accomplishment in prefumery to duplicate and bottle this scent, but I, for one, can not see myself wearing it.

It sounds delicious and potentially fatal for the diet !!!!!!!11111

I'm on a lowcarb, zero grain diet for life.

But it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Sounds amazing + I absolutely love the name.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Sounds amazing + I absolutely love the name.
    I agree. I am looking forward to trying it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sounds like Serge may be thinking outside of the bottle again.

A scent I often try to get rid of asap. do not want serge.

Milky sandalwood? Sounds like this is going to be a cross between Santal Nobile and maybe 5 Oclock au Gingembre? I think it would give a nice homey and comforting scent. Is there any indication that this is going into the export line, or is it a boutique line?

It's export 50 ml according to the photo http://www.osmoz.fr/Actus-Tendances/...de-pain-beurre

Hmm.. now this sounds interesting! I hope he isn't TOO successful at recreating it, or else it will just smell like buttered toast. That'd be quite bizarre, even for a weirdo like me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I do so love the smell of buttered toast, especially with cinnamon sprinkled on it. I think a lot of these food scents miss an important component that probably couldn't be recreated - the warmth and the steamy wafts of scent that float up to your nose while you're taking a good bite out of the toast. The heat's missing. Then again, that's just my opinion.

Hmmm, I dislike obvious foody notes in perfumes. The smell of white bread puts me off anyway. What "worries" me more is the word "peau"... are we a bit tame again (after Boxeuses)?

Count me among the excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    But if I want to smell buttered toast, why would I spend $150 for a bottle of perfume to approximate it and not just toast some bread and butter it? And, as delicious as simple buttered toast is, do I really want to walk around all day smelling of it?
    To answer question #1, because it isn't just any buttered toast, it will be Serge Luten's buttered toast and so it should taste - I mean smell - phenomenal. To answer question #2, yes, you do.

Thanks for the heads up, petruccijc. Sounds delicious, and your photo is making me drool. Toast never looked so good! All it needs is some tea to go with it. (Tea for Two, or Eau de The Vert? ha ha ha)
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Oh, dear! It doesn't sound particularly exotic, does it? This sounds like something CdG would have rustled up...

Yes yes yes!!!!!!!!

I guess gourmands aren't going away anytime soon. I'm curious, but will continue my breathing as usual.

Thank goodness this is coming out. Rubbing buttery rye bread on my chest was ruining my shirts.

This sounds real good.

Ok i'm done getting super excited. I'm so happy my favorite house is creating something i've been looking for for sometime now. I just can not wait!

When I read the original post I thought it was a joke. Buttered toast? Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Oh, dear! It doesn't sound particularly exotic, does it? This sounds like something CdG would have rustled up...
    It`s quite intriguing that they haven`t done it. Neither Demeter, which does this to a lot of aromas. Now i got curious why doesn`t anyone tried to do it before...

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Now i got curious why doesn`t anyone tried to do it before...
    My guess is that the butter aroma easily can come across as rancid. Butyric acid is not to be toyed with...

Hmmm, that's a smell I enjoy in the kitchen, but I'm skeptical as to how well I will like it as a perfume... I'll have to wait and see.

I wonder whether the bread or the butter will be the top note? And if the bottle would fall on the carpet will it change?

As a fan of certain gourmands (New Haarlem, Puro Intense), I'm very intrigued and excited to try this one.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully everyone likes it and I don't have to read about how "amazing" or "innovative" Chergui is. As if.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully everyone likes it and I don't have to read about how "amazing" or "innovative" Chergui is. As if.
    Actually, Chergui is the only SL scent that I found to be FBW.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I think a person would wear this around someone who really likes buttered toast and was hungry.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Milky sandalwood? Sounds like this is going to be a cross between Santal Nobile and maybe 5 Oclock au Gingembre? I think it would give a nice homey and comforting scent. Is there any indication that this is going into the export line, or is it a boutique line?
    I would blind buy a scent with that description.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

More precisions http://www.lejdd.fr/Style-de-vie/Bea...Lutens-231914/
    It's more the hot bread odor from a bakery i guess...

But it's interesting that SL curently work on a "much more violent story"

As much as I look forward to this, I just read a review of serge lutens critisizing all the bakery smelling fragrance.

Blog Entries

Sounds good to me. Serge Lutens, an artist who creates olfactory art and worries about sales, not so much. Now when I spill a little jam on my shirt, I'll call it layering. Seriously, good work Serge, I'll buy a bottle.

Let's hope it's not simply a lazy variation on L'Artisan's Bois Farine...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sorry, but I just can't muster the enthusiasm for this release. Perhaps Serge needs to take a long (working) vacation to yet another inspiring location...

The premise doesn't sound of much interest to me but I'm sure that I am going sample it at sometimes in the near future. It's just nothing I feel that special urge for.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I guess gourmands aren't going away anytime soon. I'm curious, but will continue my breathing as usual.
    Kevin *LOL* This new scent will be interesting though I'm not sure I want to smell like buttered toast!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I truly am looking forward to trying this one out...as far as buying a full bottle for Lutens prices, hmmmm, time will tell.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Dam... now I'm hungry for toast with no bread in the house.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

My sample is on the road, will smell this at the end of the week.

Don't worry, some already smell it told it's a classical lutens (oriental and fruity), not a groundbreaking hot bread scent...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Perhaps Serge needs to take a long (working) vacation to yet another inspiring location...
    I think he has, Jolly Ole England. First it was tea time, now it's breakfast time. I hear Sunday dinner is next: Force de Muscle
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th November 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Let's hope it's not simply a lazy variation on L'Artisan's Bois Farine...
    Bois Farine smells like a peanut butter sandwich. Another "toasty" perfume is Miroir des Envies by Muegler.
    Evenstar

Can't wait to try.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I finally smelled it..a very good surprise for me (think i'll purchase a bottle).
    It starts with a fascinating bread crust note. Not a white or hot bread of all, but a rustic bread with a well baked big crust. This is followed by a beautiful white santal note, very pure, very milky-creamy. The sandalwood is subtly warmed by discreets spices, apricot jam, something roasted (corn?), but they are never overpowering or gourmand. In the drydown, it's constrasted beetween the crust note and the sweetness from sandalwood. An elegant oriental breakfast in the Lutens house, i think i really love it !

Mon-Petit

Is it another skin scent or is it loud has 5 o'clock ?

I don't really know as i didn't vaporisated it and used little quantity from sample, but the longevity was nice enough compared to the rest of the line, and i don't find 5 o clock particulary so loud (but i don't wear it it's maybe for that). I find it stronger than Boxeuses ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    I finally smelled it..a very good surprise for me (think i'll purchase a bottle).
    It starts with a fascinating bread crust note. Not a white or hot bread of all, but a rustic bread with a well baked big crust. This is followed by a beautiful white santal note, very pure, very milky-creamy. The sandalwood is subtly warmed by discreets spices, apricot jam, something roasted (corn?), but they are never overpowering or gourmand. In the drydown, it's constrasted beetween the crust note and the sweetness from sandalwood. An elegant oriental breakfast in the Lutens house, i think i really love it !
    This actually sounds really nice.
    Thanks for the review.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Demeter has a Cinammon Toast. To me, it smells like someone forgot to toast the bread... no, forgot to bake the bread, so to me, it is more like cinnamon dough.

Anyway, this is interesting, but I wonder how wearable it will be.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I <3 Lutens

I don't really know as i didn't vaporisated it and used little quantity from sample, but the longevity was nice enough compared to the rest of the line, and i don't find 5 o clock particulary so loud (but i don't wear it it's maybe for that). I find it stronger than Boxeuses ;-)
    Stronger than Boxeuses?
    That's nice!
    I like Bouxeuses very much but if I want a skin scent I'd go for another brands!
    A Lutens must be loud and strong for me! And very sweet, of course!
    I think i'll like Jeus de Peau

Basenotes Institution

It sounds wonderful. Exciting!

I finally smelled it....a rustic bread with a well baked big crust.......followed by a beautiful white santal note........very milky-creamy........spices, apricot jam, something roasted..........never overpowering or gourmand.
    I'm glad Monsieur Lutens is back from trying to play Mr. Clean, it just didn't suit him. This sounds like a lovely oriental day-dream. Thanks for your evocative description, MP.

I've just received a FB of this (blind-bought on eBay..the price was too good to refuse >_>) and I too am pleasantly surprised.

Smelling it from the bottle, you can really get a buttered-toast sort-of-smell and it really does smell yummy! I get an Aomassai vibe from the topnotes, but whereas Aomassai becomes more woody in its drydown, JdP has fruitier notes. That's not to say it becomes totally fruity though, as the scent retains its gourmand/oriental-ness. Definitely worth a try if you're an SL fan. =]

Basenotes Institution

So is this officially released?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Something interesting going on with this one.

The Perfume Shoppe Canada has it up for sale at $140.

But the official Serge Lutens site France says its not available until 1st March.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Really want to smell this...

((impatient))
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Something interesting going on with this one.

The Perfume Shoppe Canada has it up for sale at $140.

But the official Serge Lutens site France says its not available until 1st March.
    There has been bottles of it floating around. I'm sure most stores have received it, and not all of them commit to the official release date. The Perfume Shoppe is very reliable as far as I know.

I haven't smelled this one yet (as soon as possible I will) but I have a super stong feeling that this one will be the biggest SL (seller) hit in years. Mark my words.

Maybe the biggest hit since Daim Blond (2004), or Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008) at least...