Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon`s Douro - Eau du Portugal.

Hi guys. I have a sample of Douro that I put on my wrist from time to time. I wasn`t a fan of it in the beginning, but now it`s growing on me..FAST! Question; -Do you think Douro is best for formal occasions? A suit and tie/formal fragrance? Or maby more casual? What do you think?

Default Re: Penhaligon`s Douro - Eau du Portugal.

Douro is a quiet fragrance - in as much as it's a quiet gentleman that doesn't need to be loud to gain your attention. It fits well within the Blenheim, Racquets, Quercus family of gentile fragrances.

It has a surprising depth to it and works well as a distinguished office or evening fragrance, but you can equally wear it in a smart casual out-with-friends environment which will help you stand aside from those wearing shouty mainstream frags.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Douro is a quiet fragrance - in as much as it's a quiet gentleman that doesn't need to be loud to gain your attention. It fits well within the Blenheim, Racquets, Quercus family of gentile fragrances.

It has a surprising depth to it and works well as a distinguished office or evening fragrance, but you can equally wear it in a smart casual out-with-friends environment which will help you stand aside from those wearing shouty mainstream frags.
    +1. It's ever so slightly stiff so it leans to the formal side, but the fresh sweetness of it's citrus accord makes it perfectly suitable for both.

It`s one of the most natural smelling citrus I have tried.

I get more shave cream than citrus. It straddles a middle line between casual and formal. I've got a bottle of this, but I much prefer BB or Racquets from this house. Douro does smell a bit dated to me, and I don't say this about too many fragrances.

You're better off with Eau Sauvage imo. Douro just misses the moss/leather notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    You're better off with Eau Sauvage imo. Douro just misses the moss/leather notes.
    IMO they are not very comparable.

Someone once said on Basenotes that they thought Douro was best to wear to see the dentist.

That made me laugh.

Actually, I think Douro to be rather versatile. I once considered buying it, but it just wouldn't get enough usage to justify the purchase.

In this genre, I think Douro is one of the best. It's very classy, and elegant. An awesome classical "gentlemans" scent. I actually like it better than Acqua di Parma.

Wonderful frag for business settings. It's also worn by Jews as well as gentiles.