Code of Conduct

Default Parfumerie Generale - Huitième Art Collection

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/duefte...tieme-art.html

Anybody try these? Why are the samples seven bucks a pop? That seems ridiculously high considering a full bottle is only $133.

Oh and what does zebrawood smell like??? I've never even heard of that in a fragrance.
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/huitie...-naiviris.html

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale - Huitième Art Collection

I`m trying the line one by one this week. The french website has a sample set for a better price, and the shipping is not so high. I strongly recommend buying it there of you want to try each one.

I`ll copy the descriptions i have made of the two previous i have tried, and add the new one that i`m trying today.

Sunday:
    Wearing today Ciel d'Airan. Pretty fragrance, simple, but well done. My impression:

Ciel d'Airain is a good fruity fragrance. It's not so sweet as some fruity floral fragrances are; instead, it explores fruity in a green and ambery context. The pear note here is amazing, for the first minutes it opens in a fresh pear aroma that reminds the smell of pear juice. The pear doesn't last so long, tough, but the scent fades to a nice olive and fruity heart. The olive here gives a green, leafy aroma that surround the fruits in a clever way. The amber finishes it in a luminous and velvety trail. It's not a strong fragrance, seems better for summer days.

Monday:
    Wearing Naiviris today. From the name, i`d expect something an exotic iris, but this one goes very far from exotic for me. Naiviris smell like clean powdery on me, and seems to be more on the feminine side of unissex i think, altough a man that likes powdery fragrances that tends to go on a childish direction would enjoy it very well. I`m impressed that this one only has two notes, because i get at least five: Iris, Saffron, Fruit Notes, Musk, Woods. I see it this way, like a clean powdery iris fragrances of subtle spicy and fruity notes. This one opens on my skin like some kind of red aoud ultra-light. I see like you take the saffron and red fruit aroma of red aoud and fade it to a 30-40% of intensity, matching with it a clean powdered iris. Seeing it from other side, it also reminds me of the saffron and iris heart of traversee du bosphore, but without the rose, honey and spiced fruity aspects of traversee. I get all the notes at once, first saffron, then iris, then fruity notes, then something like wood and then something like clean musk. After some time, what seems to remain is the powdered iris and the clean musk aspects. I found this one ok, but there are better irises on the market and i wouldn`t buy it since it wouldn`t add anything new on my wardrobe. But if it`s clean powder that you want, this is a good choice.

Today:
    Testing Aube Pashmina today. This one matches perfectly the olfactory that i`m living now, where i`m discovering how i love green and leafy fragrances. It seems that with Aube Pashmina Pierre tried to give the green materials cashmere touch, trying to capture their fresh smell at the beginning of the day. This one gives me that dew green impression, which i have already saw in Cartier Le Heure Promise and Miller Harris Fleurs du Bois. But this one lacks the musky airy touch of Promise and the fresh earthy connations given by orris in Fleurs du Bois. Instead, the focus is very clear on the green aroma of the tomato leafs, rosemary and basil, with a discreet sweet fruity touch provided by cassis. At first you have the green and slightly tomato leaf, then the rosemary and basil fastly joins it and after some time you notice the cassis touch. Like other fragrances on this line, is linear and complex at the same time; the scent remains the same throughout the day, with the complexity happening on the first hour on skin. It`s very comfortable for me, gives me a different fresh aroma, like a green vegetal pulp. Until now, one of my favorites on the line.

Wearing today FAREB. My impressions:

Pierre Guillaume was clever in the choice of FAREB. With only two main notes he was able to create a pleasant and complex fragrance. I think that due to the new extraction technique he used he was able to capture one of the beste imortelle aromas that i have already smelled. The imortelle here is as complex and strange as in other compositions where it`s the center. It has that fern, woody, burnt sugar aspects. But they aren`t heavy, they seem to be more airy here, more easier to be appreciated. The scent opens more intense, with a blast of spiciness and something bitter, and then it settles down to a soft sugar-hay impression, with ginger on the background acting like gingerbred for me. The scent also has a very subtle incense aroma that comes mixed in the sweet-ginger and burnt sugar impression. It`s enticing, but not so dramatic that you cannot wear it daily. A really well-balanced frag, one of the best in the line.

What FAREB made me see in retrospect is that there is imortelle on one of my favorite Lutens frags, Chypre Rouge. I see now that part of the boozy honeyed fruity accord of the CR opening is due to the exotic aspect of imortelle. FAREB seems remotely connected to that opening of Chypre Rouge on me, but without the intense honeyed fruity accord, but having part of the burnt-sugar aspect of it.

What is impressing me is how precise were the pressing releases for this line. I keep testing the fragrances, going to check how they were described at nowsmellthis when the line was launched, and it keeps matching everytime.
    Today I`m testing Vohina. I have the impression that few guys would be comfortable wearing it, since what predominates here is a floral fragrance of subtle fruity nuances. It seems delicate, a spring aroma of fresh flowers slightly honeyed (i suspect that this fragance may atract bees because of the fresh honey fruity aroma). When i tried this on the paper, i found it intensive, with a strange sharp honey aroma that i didn`t like. But on skin Vohina is subtle and makes me think that a mythical creature like a nymph would/should have a scent like this. It`s a glowy, pearly scent that starts with a soft peach aroma. The peach is more floral and seems very delicate. The honey seems to come from inside the peach, as if the peach flowers were blossoming and full of a fresh nectar ready to be picked from bees. The hay aroma is a mistery on this spring innocent fragrance for me. The first two times i wore it i was able to get something more dry and woody, but this time it`s not appearing on my skin. I get more the peach blossom and the lavender honey. I think that there`s something slightly chypre on the background, like the patchouli notes of the modern chypres. But it`s barely there on me. The overall impression is that of a young, innocent and fresh fragrance, but with a kind of classical touch. This one makes me think of the pearly plastic flowers, honey and patchouli of boucheron initial, but it lacks the plastic accord and doesn`t have that social aura that emanates from most of boucheron frags. It`s one of the most subtle fragrances on the bunch, seems to last a little less too.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Wearing today FAREB. My impressions:

Pierre Guillaume was clever in the choice of FAREB. With only two main notes he was able to create a pleasant and complex fragrance. I think that due to the new extraction technique he used he was able to capture one of the beste imortelle aromas that i have already smelled. The imortelle here is as complex and strange as in other compositions where it`s the center. It has that fern, woody, burnt sugar aspects. But they aren`t heavy, they seem to be more airy here, more easier to be appreciated. The scent opens more intense, with a blast of spiciness and something bitter, and then it settles down to a soft sugar-hay impression, with ginger on the background acting like gingerbred for me. The scent also has a very subtle incense aroma that comes mixed in the sweet-ginger and burnt sugar impression. It`s enticing, but not so dramatic that you cannot wear it daily. A really well-balanced frag, one of the best in the line.

What FAREB made me see in retrospect is that there is imortelle on one of my favorite Lutens frags, Chypre Rouge. I see now that part of the boozy honeyed fruity accord of the CR opening is due to the exotic aspect of imortelle. FAREB seems remotely connected to that opening of Chypre Rouge on me, but without the intense honeyed fruity accord, but having part of the burnt-sugar aspect of it.
    Fareb was love at first whiff, and it just got better from there. The cleanest, most pure immortelle I've smelled. This isn't your Sables maple syrup immortelle (which I enjoy also) for those of you who think you hate immortelle. You really can appreciate the new extraction technique with Fareb.

Outstanding simple, but complex frag.

Coming to Les Senteurs very soon . Available in store only , no mail order on them for some reason * eyes roll *

Wearing Ambre Ceruleen, Phyto extraction doesn`t add for me nothing on this one - it`s the one that didn`t caught my attention; The smell make me think of what prada l'eau ambree would be if it was done with better materials. It`s something that start in a citrus direction, goes for a moments into a suntan lotion accord, and then settles down into a ambereded powdery accord. The ambar is more evident for a moment, and then you get something sweet, powdery, soapy, in the same vein of l`eau ambree but less soapy and slightly sweet. Seems like a modern version of an old formula, and compared to the others it stands out cause it doesn`t add anything new to the materials used - if you like amber, opoponax and have already tried other fragrances with these notes, you won`t get anything new here.

Wearing Sucre d'Ébene today. This one is my favorite kind of gourmand fragrance. It's sweet, but not fluffly. It's more of a dark sweet fragrance, something sweet and sugary, but dark, roasted, in the same vein of Aomassai, but not similar to it. The opening of Sucre is all about dark, roasted sugar. I sprayed it on me and my mom thought that some neighbour was cooking a dessert. When it starts to develop, you really get a hazelnut aroma, but less nutty. I 'd swear it has hazelnut, was surprised to see that it's hammamelis emulating it. After some hours the scent goes on a more quite aroma , slightly vanillic and incensed, wasn't surprised to it was benzoin on it. It recommend it to somehone that wants a gourmand fragrance in a more dark style.

Check out the original thread on the Fragrance Business and General forum, if anyone is so inclined.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Manguier Metisse is the last Huitieme Art fragrance that i test. After trying all them, you see that there are some aspects that they all share: most of the olfactive changes takes part in the first moments, the phyto extracts appear mostly on the topnotes and they fade to a heart-base note that has some edge in common with the topnote. The line seems also to favor the explore of fruity themes, trying to bring something new to the fruity floral genre. Manguier Metisse is one that fits in all those aspects. It's an exotic fruity floral fragrance, that will probably be more worn by women than men. It's a sweet, ripe, exotic fruity fragrance, where the fruit and flower aspects makes you think of exotic tropical places. The phyto extraction captures a ripe, sugared mango note, which is delicious while it last. Once the mango fades, the tropical theme takes place with a high-quality frangipani note, supported by creamy-airy sort of musk base. The frangipani and musk is what last on skin the rest of the evolution; the mango lasts the first hour only. It's a fragrance easily to be understood, as most of the line. The perfumer favors the simplicity to show the new extracts, and you have to be aware that it's what you get. On me, longevity and sillage were acceptable, and i prefer this way, so i can have the pleasure of wearing them at work if i want whitout bothering anyone.