Code of Conduct

Default LUSH Lust ~ idoles?

I'm an utter newbie, trying to train her nose to identify various notes. I am curious about indoles. I enjoy some jasmine scents, but others are too much for me. For example, LUSH/Gorilla Lust. Can anyone who has sampled it tell me if that's considered heavy on the idoles? I wouldn't identify it as "fecal" but I certainly react strongly to it!

Default Re: LUSH Lust ~ idoles?

Yes - Lust is very indolic! And you're right in that indoles do not necessarily smell fecal, though sometimes indoles are a part of what gives feces their smell ( sorry to be unpleasantly graphic ). To me they smell something like magic markers but with sort of a rubbery-fleshy undertone.

A perfect example of easily-identified indoles is in stargazer lilies. They commonly sell these at florists, and smelling up-close the indole is usually quite evident; more so than in most flowers.

Blog Entries

Hi claresauntie, welcome to basenotes!
    Yes l find Lust to be a very indolic jasmine, it was love at first sniff for me! Did you react strongly to it in a good or a bad way?
    l'm curious to know which jasmines you've tried, & which are your favourites?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Wink Re: LUSH Lust ~ idoles?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Yes - Lust is very indolic! And you're right in that indoles do not necessarily smell fecal, though sometimes indoles are a part of what gives feces their smell ( sorry to be unpleasantly graphic ). To me they smell something like magic markers but with sort of a rubbery-fleshy undertone.

A perfect example of easily-identified indoles is in stargazer lilies. They commonly sell these at florists, and smelling up-close the indole is usually quite evident; more so than in most flowers.
    I briefly worked at a florist, so the stargazer reference is helpful! Thanks. I find the indoles morr tolerable on-flower, though. Maybe because I can walk away from them?

I appreciate the response. I had read enough here on Basenotes to know indoles were not fecal directly, but a part of that fecal smell. I figured what I was smelling in Lust was the indoles, and now, with your help, I've confirmed it. I can pick that sensation out going forward. Thank you so much.

Hi claresauntie, welcome to basenotes!
    Yes l find Lust to be a very indolic jasmine, it was love at first sniff for me! Did you react strongly to it in a good or a bad way?
    l'm curious to know which jasmines you've tried, & which are your favourites?

Thanks for the welcome! You are all so friendly!

I react negatively at this stage in my nose-development. . I look forward to educating my nose enough to appreciate indolic scents, since so many of you get great pleasure from them - I feel like I'm missing out. I consider it like Brussel Sprouts and coffee, both of which I was too young to appreciate at one point but now enjoy. I just have an immature schnoz!

I wouldn't say I have tried many scent that are jasmine. Not soliflores, that is. But I hapened to have a handy list of scents I have tested or owned that contain jasmine, and that I quite enjoy:
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York
    Bois des Îles
    Cashmere Mist Liquid Nude (Donna Karan)
    Colors de Benetton
    Daisy (Marc Jacobs)
    Flowerbomb
    Green Tea (Elizabeth Arden)
    Pure Grace (Philosophy)

There are a few Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab scents I've enjoyed with their jasmine, and a few I've run from! I don't have that list handy, and I'm too braindead to think of them at the moment.

I'm looking forward to getting to know jasmine and the other indolic flowers! What do you recommend?
    Last edited by claresauntie; 12th November 2010 at 10:36 AM.

Blog Entries

l haven't tried any of the fragrances on your list, so l can't compare, but some of my favourites are;

Jasmin Full by Montale; a beautiful, many-faceted jasmine with incredible sillage & longevity.
    Alien by Thierry Mugler; soaring jasmine with kind of "cold" feel, & an ambery-woody drydown.
    Samsara by Guerlain; warm, cozy jasmine mixed with sandalwood.

I've also tried A La Nuit by Serge Lutens, which gets a lot of love here, but unfortunately Lutens' scents have poor longevity on me. The same with Annick Goutal's Le Jasmin, but you might find they work for you!

lf you want to sample a supremely indolic jasmine, try Bruno Acampora Jasmin, available from Luckyscent.

Happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

To my nose, pure indole (as it is in the lab, in crystallised form) smells moth-ballish, slightly like dry halitosis - and definitely reminds me of that dusty centre of a lily in full bloom. For reference, both Lust and Tuca Tuca by Gorilla Perfume have heaps of indole (naturally from the floral absolutes used in the formula + extra added). I can and do wear Lust but Tuca Tuca turns to bad breath on my skin On some of my colleagues Tuca Tuca smells very sweet and pretty. It's one of those 'try before you buy' things for sure. The whole range changes a lot on the skin from person to person.

[Disclaimer - I work for these guys as a trainee perfumer]