Code of Conduct

Thread: Hypnotic Poison

Thumbs up Hypnotic Poison

Today I tried two women's frags that I've wanted to try for so long. Shalimar was one, which was gorgeous, but I don't think I can wear it.. it ranks up there with Chanel No 5 though.

Another though was the much talked about Hypnotic Poison. Man oh man, love at first sniff, excellent gourmand, but I only smelled it on paper. Sort of reminded me of Lolita Lempicka, not at all in smell, but in style. LL is light in feel, but heavy in smell, unique as well which I felt with Hypnotic Poison. Next time I pick my 3 samples from Sephora, I'm DEFINITELY going right over to the women's section and getting a sample of Hypnotic Poison.

Also, are any of the other Poison's worth trying?

Default Re: Hypnotic Poison

I ran into this one while shopping perfume for my GF. I immediately loved it, she felt it was a bit heavy but I convinced her to grab a sample for a few wearings. To make a long story short, I ended up sneaking a wearing of it (funny I had never read about men wearing it). Certainly not something I see myself wearing, but I sure am trying hard to get my GF to wear it so it can be around me!

Edit:
    I just realized, I was meaning to refer to Midnight Poison not Hypnotic.
    Last edited by Captcrunch; 11th November 2010 at 09:28 PM.

My favorite is Midnight Poison, also probably the most masculine

I bought Hypnotic Poison for my wife, and she loves it. Smells great on her. One of these days I'll try a shot myself.

Haven't sniffed the other Poisons, though. Ask Le Grand Duc - he's the official Poison ambassador.

Midnight Poison

Hypnotic Poison frequently gets me compliments.

I love hypnotic poison - on me it gets to a cozy, warm, close to skin vanilla aroma...

Hypnotic poison elixir, great skin scent, it smells si ilar to the original and lasts all day.

Hypnotic poison is my favorite of the poisons. I think its very wearable. Try a light application, in cold weather.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

It's nice, but a bit simple and "thick", and too gourmand for my taste (so to speak). If it had more of an edge, or an undercurrent of weird (ie. Angel), I'd appreciate it more. A coworker of mine wears it and it smells a bit drier and more floral on her than it does on me, where it's all marzipan goopiness.

Basenotes Institution

Well, The_Cologneist, Hypnotic Poison and Lolita Lempicka were both done by the nose Annick Menardo - so perhaps this is the similarity in style that you're smelling? (Menardo also did Bulgari Black)

The best part of Hypnotic Poison is that wonderful sweet (yet bitter) almond and caraway top note, that just smells so comforting. IMO, that smell is totally unisex and which is why HP is loved by as many guys as it is women.

If you can get your hands on some Hypnotic Poison Elixir to sample, please do so - I've heard it's even better than the EdT. Mind you I believe it has a licorice/star anise note, that is not in the original HP...but still it's supposed to smell very similar to the original and it is an EdP (the original is an EdT).

p.s. - Avoid the flanker, Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle - it's basically a vanilla, orchid floral feminine and is WAY feminine while sort of dumbing down the original.

Where the hell is Le Grand Duc when you need him!!? LOL
    Currently wearing: Aprs L'onde by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Where the hell is Le Grand Duc when you need him!!? LOL
    Still hypnotized by his poisons. =) Hi Grand duc!

Midnight Poison is the easiest to share from the poison`s line. To me what predominates is the woody camphor aroma of patchouli with a soft amber with a dark, dry rose on the heart. If you like caramel fragrances, like Amen, try Midnight Poison Elixir, which has a great caramelic note with something fruity too. But if you like a even darker, with more patchouli added, version of Midnight Poison, i strongly recommend the pure parfum version.

Hypnotic Poison also have a pure perfume version, which to me is intenser, with the almond amplified, but not so bitter, and the vanilla and florals more tunned.

The Eau Sensuelle one for me is the shame of poison`s family. It smells generic, and uninspiried, like they have taken off the almond and put a generic glade-like floral accord.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Hahaha, loving this, I'll immediately add 'ambassador' to my already long title.

His Ducal Highness the Grand Duke of Svendborg
    Prince of Pln,
    By the Grace of God Princely Bishop in Bremen & Schwerin
    Count von Oldenburg, Delmenhorst, Lauenburg & Salm
    Ambassador de la Poison de Dior

Anyhow ...

Midnight Poison is the most male friendly Poison, as stated before me.
    It's a very dark rose scent, which, by my knowledge, some women find
    too masculine to wear for them. A must try ... you'll never know.

Hypnotic Poison is also quite male friendly, but it takes some more gutts
    to pull this one off. Just go easy on the spritzer. Like mrclmind, I get lots
    of compliments in this one.

The original Poison can do. But, a man best go with the vintage juice,
    the modern formulation is very flowery, and not masculine at all.

Avoid Tendre and Pure, they are undoubtly feminine. I can pull them off,
    but then again, I'm not the most masculine of men!

The Hypnotic Elixir does indeed have an extra note of star anise, good.
    The Midnight Elixir is spiced up with caramel, which makes it more feminine.
    I can't remember the added note in Pure Elixir... hmm?!

I find the Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle very close to the original version,
    I think a man can pull this one off too, but hey, to each his own!

Gotta love the Poisons! Wee!

Basenotes Institution

Hypnotic Poison is just wonderful stuff. I love the EDT more than the Elixir which is much sweeter.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I think I'll get samples of Midnight and Hypnotic on my next trip there. There are only 3 available there; those 2 as well as the original.

Looks like i will be include in my own thread about man using female scents.
    Will give a try at the Midnight Poison asap.
    I love to share perfumes with my girlfriend, we use together to go out, its amazing to see people asking:
    "You have the same smell, never see that but loved!!"

We share CK Be (i dont like cause last 30 seconds on me) and Gaultier2 (wich are our secret!!)

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Gaultier2 (wich are our secret!!)
    Not any more it ain't!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Hahaha, loving this, I'll immediately add 'ambassador' to my already long title.

His Ducal Highness the Grand Duke of Svendborg
    Prince of Pln,
    By the Grace of God Princely Bishop in Bremen & Schwerin
    Count von Oldenburg, Delmenhorst, Lauenburg & Salm
    Ambassador de la Poison de Dior
    ((giggle))

The Hypnotic Elixir does indeed have an extra note of star anise, good.
    The Midnight Elixir is spiced up with caramel, which makes it more feminine.
    I can't remember the added note in Pure Elixir... hmm?!
    The Pure Poison Elixir notes are almost completely different than the original Pure Poison, but strangely it smells very similar (just sweeter). I'm pretty sure it has vanilla and cocoa accord in the base notes. Nonetheless, I find this one way too sharp of a floral for me.
    Currently wearing: Aprs L'onde by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Haven't sniffed the other Poisons, though. Ask Le Grand Duc - he's the official Poison ambassador.
    He is the Lord of the Poisions

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The Pure Poison Elixir notes are almost completely different than the original Pure Poison, but strangely it smells very similar (just sweeter). I'm pretty sure it has vanilla and cocoa accord in the base notes. Nonetheless, I find this one way too sharp of a floral for me.
    That's right, it's cocoa. I thought,
    that only one note were added to
    each Elixir?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post

Hypnotic Poison was one I was going to buy to wear myself since it smells really good but I got Tobacco Vanille and they smell too similar or do the same thing for me to justify owing both while I prefer TV a bit more

I easily wear Hypnotic Poison, it's on of my favorites and to be honest I think of it as a sweet vanilla masculine fragrance, but Midnight Poison is the bomb, I just fell in love with it it's gorgeous on a woman, and if I were gay I'd also find it gorgeous on a man, but I'm not so I can't say it's very 'man-friendly'.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

That's right, it's cocoa. I thought,
    that only one note were added to
    each Elixir?

That .gif isn't from BN, is it? I love it hahaha
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

After this thread i goes to the shopping.
    Tried as much as i can, and off course the first one its Midnight Poison (they didnt has Hypnotic).

Yeah, its too much easy to a male use that, my girl loved too.
    Its my next purchase, we will share it, our new secret!!

Its pretty motherfuking nice to go out with your girl with the same smell, people goes crazy, i think they got excited...

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    All Hail The High Prince of Poison The Duke of Dior
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    That .gif isn't from BN, is it? I love it hahaha
    Nope, I just googled 'kneel smiley' ...

Quote Originally Posted by shoegal68 View Post
    All Hail The High Prince of Poison The Duke of Dior
    Mylady!

After reading this I finally tested famous poisons but just on test strip.

Hypnotic Poison - very very nice sensual vanilla almonds. I want to eat it!. I like it and also obtained sample from SA. Cant wait to wear it on skin
    Midnight Poison - this is completely unisex, more on masculine side. I am just sniffing test strip and if I didnt spray it myself on paper I would think it is Pure Malt. Seriously on test strip it smells like less artificial Pure Malt top notes. Anyone else see that connection or I am crazy?
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Nightflight by Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    After reading this I finally tested famous poisons but just on test strip.

Hypnotic Poison - very very nice sensual vanilla almonds. I want to eat it!. I like it and also obtained sample from SA. Cant wait to wear it on skin
    Midnight Poison - this is completely unisex, more on masculine side. I am just sniffing test strip and if I didnt spray it myself on paper I would think it is Pure Malt. Seriously on test strip it smells like less artificial Pure Malt top notes. Anyone else see that connection or I am crazy?
    I get the connection with pure malt more on the midnight poison elixir version, since they have similar caramel/fruity aspects...

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I get the connection with pure malt more on the midnight poison elixir version, since they have similar caramel/fruity aspects...
    Ah. Maybe it was Midnight Poison elixir then. There were few similiar dark blue bottles and perhaps I sprayed wrong one. Anyway unless it smells asbolutely different on skin similiarity with Pure Malt top notes is incredible.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Nightflight by Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Ah. Maybe it was Midnight Poison elixir then. There were few similiar dark blue bottles and perhaps I sprayed wrong one. Anyway unless it smells asbolutely different on skin similiarity with Pure Malt top notes is incredible.
    Well, Midnight Poison Elxir lacks the boozy aspects of Pure Malt, but they are somehow similar in the combination of caramel + patchouly, with some dry roses on it. The other difference that i see is the ripped pineapple note that i get at the opening of midnight poison, that gives it a sugary fruity opening which lends to the caramel + patchouly evolution....

Great thread! I've got both Hypnotic EDT and Midnight EDP and I'm more inclined to the former (probably because I had it for much longer), but Midnight Poison is starting to grow on me.

I had Midnight Elixer before any other Poison but the atomiser was so dreadful that I exchanged it for the Hypnotic EDT, which IMO was a good decision. Go for Hypnotic - you won't be disappointed.