Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Default Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Much is said here on what makes a gentlemanly scent.

    This book goes into several scents suitable (no pun intended) for the well-groomed and well-dressed man under the chapter Gentlemen's Requisites:

    Floris
    Penhaligon's
    Geo F. Trumper
    Truefitt and Hill

    http://www.amazon.com/Bespoke-Mens-S...9442673&sr=1-1
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    hmm. interesting. im curious to see what people on here think is a good gentlemens scent.

    Out of my wardrobe, i find La Nuit de Lhomme and Burberry London to be very gentlemen-ish

  3. #3

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Released two weeks ago... and Amazon already has used copies available.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Mouchoir de Monsieur - a gentleman's scent.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    Released two weeks ago... and Amazon already has used copies available.
    Some "used" are from Amazon Marketplace vendors and are actually new. See the notations for the offered books. Some say "new in dust jacket." Some are from re-sellers.

    I enjoy florals with leather and/or vanilla: violets, jasmine, lavender and rose. My favourite "gentlemen's" scents, in no particular order, are:

    Equipage
    Arome Trois (a floral fougere)
    Sartorial (truly inspired by Norton and Sons, a complex fougere)
    Richard James (of Savile Row, a wonderful tuberose)
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Habit Rouge (in all its forms)
    Derby
    Guerlain Arsene Lupin Le Dandy
    Pour Un Homme
    Le Troisieme Homme
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Equipage
    Arome Trois (a floral fougere)
    Sartorial (truly inspired by Norton and Sons, a complex fougere)
    Richard James (of Savile Row, a wonderful tuberose)
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Habit Rouge (in all its forms)
    Derby
    Guerlain Arsene Lupin Le Dandy
    Pour Un Homme
    Le Troisieme Homme
    Great list. I'd add Monsieur de Givenchy and Eau Sauvage.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    The fact is that the very same brands mentioned in the book have already a long history of supplying, besides fragrance, various gentlemanly grooming articles, so the recommendation is even more meaningful from this perspective

  8. #8

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    I love gentleman`s scents! Some of my stuff:

    Penhaligons Sartorial (IMO, the ultimate refined gentlemans-scent)
    Penhaligons Opus 1870
    Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Amouage Dia

    -On my wish-list; Penhaligons Duoro eau du Portugal.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I love gentleman`s scents! Some of my stuff:

    Penhaligons Sartorial (IMO, the ultimate refined gentlemans-scent)
    Penhaligons Opus 1870
    Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Amouage Dia

    -On my wish-list; Penhaligons Duoro eau du Portugal.
    Thanks for this. What are people's favorites from Floris and the other brands mentioned..I haven't tried many but T&H Freshman
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  10. #10

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Floris
    Penhaligon's
    Geo F. Trumper
    Truefitt and Hill

    I don't know. I believe Mr. Sherwood is very knowledgeable regarding sartorial matters, but this list seems based more on past linkages to the Jermyn St. / Savile Row style than the actual state of these brands. To wit: a gentleman who has his bespoke suits made on Savile Row or in Milano at 4000 quid upward may be inclined to prefer a private session with Lorenzo Villoresi. If he chose "ready-to-wear" perfume and was a traditionalist, would he go for a firms who have thoroughly modernized/synthesized their portfolio beyond recognition (T&H, Floris)? If he was a stickler for essential oil quality in the same way that he insisted on the finest Holland & Sherry cloths, perhaps even vintage stock, would he settle for Penhaligon's compromises on ingredient quality? I personally like a number of Penhaligons (Racquets, HB, BB, Castile), but if money were not an issue I'd have them reconstructed by Dominique Dubrana as naturals immediately . That leaves Trumper's, which, with due concessions to times changing, is perhaps still the most traditional of these outfits. Yet there is no question that the perfume world has changed more rapidly than Savile Row and I think that for the highest, rarest quality and artistry suitable and affordable by the monied elite of the kind that frequents bespoke tailoring establishments, one would look elsewhere than to the old English names - to the "perfumism"-kind of fragrance artists not beholden to corporate accountants or image mongering. Btw: I have finally received a decant of Sartorial, which has not been issued in Germany yet officially, and I think Octavian Coiffan is spot on. It's a gilded Brut or Rive Gauche, a very nice, well-constructed perfume, which would have gained by a better ingredient budget and bolder vision (the latter of which would have clearly compromised sales, however).

    Oh yes: just received an ebayed bottle of vintage Floris No. 89. most people would say it's the epitrome of "old man" perfume. I think it smells like "old boy" and I love it .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    I'll proudly add Aramis to the list!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Much is said here on what makes a gentlemanly scent.

    This book goes into several scents suitable (no pun intended) for the well-groomed and well-dressed man under the chapter Gentlemen's Requisites:

    Floris
    Penhaligon's
    Geo F. Trumper
    Truefitt and Hill

    http://www.amazon.com/Bespoke-Mens-S...9442673&sr=1-1
    Those are all British perfumers and it makes perfect sense to push towards them if advocating Saville Row style.

    There are of course many very gentlemanly scents from France and Italy as well. In my wardrobe, Trumpers Eucris, Creed Vintage Tabarome, Guerlain Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, Penhaligons Sartorial, Santos de Cartier Concentre, Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Boucheron Pour Homme are my top gentleman scents.

  13. #13
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Those are all British perfumers and it makes perfect sense to push towards them if advocating Saville Row style.

    There are of course many very gentlemanly scents from France and Italy as well. In my wardrobe, Trumpers Eucris, Creed Vintage Tabarome, Guerlain Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, Penhaligons Sartorial, Santos de Cartier Concentre, Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Boucheron Pour Homme are my top gentleman scents.
    Word. I think the list of four houses only makes sense if one is going for the full Anglocentric effect, in a sort of generic way. Sartorial makes a nice gent scent, and one can certainly find a good one in the four listed houses, but circumstances would dictate something from across the channel rather frequently, IMO.
    * * * *

  14. #14

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Word. I think the list of four houses only makes sense if one is going for the full Anglocentric effect, in a sort of generic way. Sartorial makes a nice gent scent, and one can certainly find a good one in the four listed houses, but circumstances would dictate something from across the channel rather frequently, IMO.
    Me too. I don't want to limit myself. While the Saville Row look is quite smart, I'm a bit more American Eurotrashy.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Those are all British perfumers and it makes perfect sense to push towards them if advocating Saville Row style.

    There are of course many very gentlemanly scents from France and Italy as well. In my wardrobe, Trumpers Eucris, Creed Vintage Tabarome, Guerlain Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, Penhaligons Sartorial, Santos de Cartier Concentre, Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Boucheron Pour Homme are my top gentleman scents.
    Which one of Boucheron Pour homme or Penhaligon`s Douro do you like best?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Amouage Epic and GIT are tops for me if I need to smell of upper-crust and hight respectable.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Some really great recommendations. I'd add the original Monsieur Rochas to the list as well (not the pink version).

  18. #18

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Floris
    Penhaligon's
    Geo F. Trumper
    Truefitt and Hill

    I don't know. I believe Mr. Sherwood is very knowledgeable regarding sartorial matters, but this list seems based more on past linkages to the Jermyn St. / Savile Row style than the actual state of these brands. To wit: a gentleman who has his bespoke suits made on Savile Row or in Milano at 4000 quid upward may be inclined to prefer a private session with Lorenzo Villoresi. If he chose "ready-to-wear" perfume and was a traditionalist, would he go for a firms who have thoroughly modernized/synthesized their portfolio beyond recognition (T&H, Floris)? If he was a stickler for essential oil quality in the same way that he insisted on the finest Holland & Sherry cloths, perhaps even vintage stock, would he settle for Penhaligon's compromises on ingredient quality? I personally like a number of Penhaligons (Racquets, HB, BB, Castile), but if money were not an issue I'd have them reconstructed by Dominique Dubrana as naturals immediately . That leaves Trumper's, which, with due concessions to times changing, is perhaps still the most traditional of these outfits. Yet there is no question that the perfume world has changed more rapidly than Savile Row and I think that for the highest, rarest quality and artistry suitable and affordable by the monied elite of the kind that frequents bespoke tailoring establishments, one would look elsewhere than to the old English names - to the "perfumism"-kind of fragrance artists not beholden to corporate accountants or image mongering. Btw: I have finally received a decant of Sartorial, which has not been issued in Germany yet officially, and I think Octavian Coiffan is spot on. It's a gilded Brut or Rive Gauche, a very nice, well-constructed perfume, which would have gained by a better ingredient budget and bolder vision (the latter of which would have clearly compromised sales, however).

    Oh yes: just received an ebayed bottle of vintage Floris No. 89. most people would say it's the epitrome of "old man" perfume. I think it smells like "old boy" and I love it .
    Yes, the_good_life, this is the British perspective.

    I also think a man who would wear bespoke clothing would also have some private blend of scent, not just some off-the-peg fragrance. Mouchoir de Monsieur, I understand, was the personal scent of King Juan Carlos before Guerlain decided to market again to the masses.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Guerlain - Héritage
    Roger & Gallet -Extra Vieille
    Prada - Infusion d'Homme
    Santa Maria Novella - Colonia Russa

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pensacola,Florida
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Before I spend a huge amount of money on decants for Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive, I was wondering are they worth it. I was reading that they are very gentlemanly. Anyone please. Thank you.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Rive Gauch Pour Homme
    New York
    Tiffany For Men
    ---
    -josh

    www.imaginaryauthors.com

    Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

  22. #22

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    I'm not into the modern, watered down meaning of gentilman so much, originally a classist term. Something one could only be born into.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    No-one has mentioned Acqua di Parma Colonia or Villoresi Uomo yet? These are my two most gentlemannish scents with GIT and Tom Ford Extreme. I think that Creed BdP is very appropriate for gentlemans too.

  24. #24
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,812

    Default Re: Gentlemen's scents: one book's opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
    Before I spend a huge amount of money on decants for Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive, I was wondering are they worth it. I was reading that they are very gentlemanly. Anyone please. Thank you.
    IMO Yes.

Similar Threads

  1. Your opinion on animalic scents
    By JonB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29th November 2011, 05:55 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th September 2010, 06:10 AM
  3. Updates to "Perfumes: The Guide" available at book's site
    By fredricktoo in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 8th September 2008, 07:00 AM
  4. Amouage Gentlemen's same as Gold?
    By JaimeB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th May 2007, 12:25 PM
  5. Castle Forbes Gentlemen's Cologne
    By newtrane in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th September 2005, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000