Code of Conduct

Default The word "cologne"

"cologne" just sounds cheap to me, whenever I hear it I think of the drug store scents, many of which ARE colognes/EDC.

I think "perfume" and "fragrance" sound much classier, but most ppl in real life call all men's fragrances "cologne".

Also, using the word "cologne" to denote all men's fragrances (which many common ppl do) creates confusion because men's fragrances can be EDT, EDP, or EDC, while "cologne" makes everything sound like EDC.

Default Re: The word "cologne"

Only if it is an EDC is it ever a cologne to me, and particularly a traditional smelling cologne a la Jean Marie Farina, 4711, Acqua di Parma, etc. Everything else is a perfume or fragrance.

Re: the word "cologne" - derived from the German town of Koln, Cologne, where Johan Maria Farina perfected his uncles barber tonic into the fragrance which was the type of perfume from Koln or "Cologne". For some reason the name stuck to this version of perfume even though others had been making this "cologne" type of fragrance in Italy and Hungary hundreds of years earlier.

I think there is actually a fair proportion of people who (in the case of men) will always refer to "after shave" - as in "What after shave are you wearing?". After all, a man couldn't possibly be wearing "perfume". Women are invariably wearing "perfume" even though it might be an EDT, or an EDP.

The nuances are beyond most people.

It seems to me that retailers have opted for the generic term "fragrance" to encompass all possibilities.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The cognoscenti know the difference; the rest don't, and they don't care.

In the US "cologne" tends to refer to any fragrance for men regardless of its concentration. From what I understand, in France, it refers to the concentration, and it Germany and Italy, it would refer to the original citrus cologne, light, hesperidic, all natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    I think there is actually a fair proportion of people who (in the case of men) will always refer to "after shave" - as in "What after shave are you wearing?".
    And this is were most people trip over their own words with me, because I don't shave, I have a short beard I keep trimmed.

"What's that after sh... er... smell you have on?"

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    And this is were most people trip over their own words with me, because I don't shave, I have a short beard I keep trimmed.

"What's that after sh... er... smell you have on?"
    LOL! Good one!

I don't know about the rest of the world but I've mainly experienced Americans using the word 'cologne'. It all goes back to the so-called gender connotations many people have with the word 'perfume' (look it up in a dictionary, if you still have an issue with the word).

The existence of many sexually insecure men is one thing but the bastardisation of the English language (regardless of historical origins) is completely another...

When a male SA refers to an EDT or EDP as aftershave to me i always tell them to shave then use it and see if they like the burn it might give; not one has got back to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The cognoscenti know the difference; the rest don't, and they don't care.
    True enough!

Some use the word "cologne" and "perfume" as general terms for the scents of men and women, respectively.

I use "perfume" as a general term for all fragrances.

Yes, the cologne (eau de Cologne/Koln) has the most alcohol.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

go check youtube hot for words where cologne came from :-P if its not there request it :-D