Code of Conduct

Default Specific Orange Blossom question - Serge Lutens

Hi all!

Winter is coming and so my craving for a orange blossom scent. Somehow I am much more comfortable with this flower in colder weather - it never gets cloying and symbolize pure happiness that reminds me of warmer days...

I don´t want an orange scent, and I am not sure if I am good enough to discern neroli from orange blossom.

I have and love Czech Speake Neroli, but now I am after a softer, happier and warmer scent. I also have Guerlain Flora Nerolia which is really good but I want something with less jasmine. I love my decant of By Kilian´s Prelude to Love and it is something like this I want. I remember having tried L´Artisan Fleur d´Oranger and liked it - although I wasn´t ready for an orange blossom soliflore at that time. I do remember it slightly similar to the Kilian and possibly bottle worthy.

But where in this bunch does Serge Lutens´Fleur du Oranger fit in? Is it more like one of these or another, or a completely different animal?

Thanks in advance,
    Pelle
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Default Re: Specific Orange Blossom question - Serge Lutens

I think the nearest is L'Artisan La chasse aux papillons extrême for me.
    It's not a soliflore but a representation of the bush covered with flowers.
    For me it's the best fleurs d'oranger fragrance but the last formulation make it a little more "flat" than before (but it's still nice). It's a good combination of sparkling orange blossom/Tuberose/jasmine, with a little dirty and spicy touch (muscade nut)

"The orange blossom extract doest not translate the opulence nor the fine freshness who naturally emanate from the flower in the air. In spite of that, SL wanted to create a perfume paradox, expressing splendour and freshness."

Serge Lutens is slightly floral, and green. It has a grassy/powdery texture that's also a little bit harsh, the same texture of vetiver. It also has somewhat of a cleaning product vibe, not as much as their lemon blossom though. Overall it's just ok, not one of my favorites, but I'm not big on orange/orange blossoms fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

I think the SL is a good choice for an orange blossom soliflore. It does not have that crisp, gentlemanly feel that the Czech & Speake has, it's a bit more sweet. But not as indolic as the Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia and a bit bolder than the By Kilian (which I found sort of wan and lifeless after an hour or so) and the L' Artisan (nice but extremely linear). Oh and the SL is a tiny bit spicy, which differentiates it also.

You might want to also try Fleurs de Citronnier by Serge Lutens - I think it plays on the same theme with a slight difference that the lemon blossom and musk gives it.

Blog Entries

Pelle, l haven't tried the other scents you mention, but to my nose Lutens' Fleurs d'Oranger is a warm, syrupy, but not too sweet fragrance, with a nice hint of spice. l think it would work very well as a winter scent.
    Fleurs de Citronnier is a much fresher, airier scent IMO, more suitable for spring/summer.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    I think the nearest is L'Artisan La chasse aux papillons extrême for me.
    I will try this one. I beleive it is available for sampling in my town - the only fragrance in this thread so far...

[/QUOTE]"The orange blossom extract doest not translate the opulence nor the fine freshness who naturally emanate from the flower in the air. In spite of that, SL wanted to create a perfume paradox, expressing splendour and freshness."[/QUOTE]

Who said that? Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think the SL is a good choice for an orange blossom soliflore. It does not have that crisp, gentlemanly feel that the Czech & Speake has, it's a bit more sweet. But not as indolic as the Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia and a bit bolder than the By Kilian (which I found sort of wan and lifeless after an hour or so) and the L' Artisan (nice but extremely linear). Oh and the SL is a tiny bit spicy, which differentiates it also.
    Everything above sounds great and I agree with the (slight) lifelessness and linearity. Must try/buy the Lutens!

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Serge Lutens is slightly floral, and green. It has a grassy/powdery texture that's also a little bit harsh, the same texture of vetiver. It also has somewhat of a cleaning product vibe, not as much as their lemon blossom though. Overall it's just ok, not one of my favorites, but I'm not big on orange/orange blossoms fragrances.
    This sounds great too. The vetiver texture might appeal to me...

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Pelle, l haven't tried the other scents you mention, but to my nose Lutens' Fleurs d'Oranger is a warm, syrupy, but not too sweet fragrance, with a nice hint of spice. l think it would work very well as a winter scent.
    Fleurs de Citronnier is a much fresher, airier scent IMO, more suitable for spring/summer.
    Yes! Spice! I have read there is cumin in there - I hope it is detectable...

I tried Fleurs de Citronnier yesterday, and it was nice but rather uninteresting.

My swap thread

Who said that? Sounds good to me.
    It's the official description in a booklet formerly available at SPRS, directly from SL.

"L'extrait de fleurs d'oranger ne retraduit ni l'opulence ni la fine fraîcheur qui émanent naturellement de la fleur à l'air libre.
    C'est malgré tout le but que Serge Lutens s'est fixé : créer un parfum composé en paradoxe, traduisant faste et fraîcheur.
    Les pétales de fleurs d'oranger, blancs, épais, riches en arôme, sont soutenus et appuyés par le jasmin blanc et la tubéreuse des Indes, qui affirment l'extrait dans sa somptuosité solaire, lui conférant ainsi richesse et éclat.
    Le vert pâle de la rose blanche, appuyé par une note zeste vert, traduit la fraîcheur musicale et aérienne de la fleur d'oranger.
    La sophistication musquée de la graine d'hibiscus, la chaleur sensuelle du cumin, l'exotisme épicé de la noix de muscade enveloppent ce mélange délicieux de nuances délicates."

And Fleurs d'Orangers is the best seller perfume from the house.

Careful, the SL is extremely heady and a bit more feminine in the traditional sense of extra white florals, sweetness, etc. My wife absolutely loves it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Careful, the SL is extremely heady and a bit more feminine in the traditional sense of extra white florals, sweetness, etc. My wife absolutely loves it.
    +1 My wife L O V E S Fleurs d' Oranger. She's gone through 2 bottles, it is a bit too indolic for me to wear... I love smelling it on her though.

I am not familiar with the Lutens - but while you're looking round it might be worth checking out the Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM Pour Homme (& Femme, while you're at it).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I am not familiar with the Lutens - but while you're looking round it might be worth checking out the Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM Pour Homme (& Femme, while you're at it).
    +1 on APOM pour Homme. Own it & luurrvv it. It's an orange blossom that's warmed by the amber in the base.

APOMs added to sample list. Thanks!

My swap thread

i have FDOrangeur i dont really wear it out as i find it a tad too heavy or syrupy and it's a bit too feminine-ish for my taste.. but its nice to smell once in a while..

fleur de citronnier i wear out.. nothing extraordinarily unique but a very good fuller bodied cologne for me.. it's crisper and more powdery

gaultier's fleur du male is another scent overdosed with orange blossom which i use.. a more masculine version of FDOrangeur due to the classic synthetic-like accord used by perfumer Kurkdjian
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bought it blind!

And I agree with most of your comments. I didn´t recognize the cumin the first two wearings but then something changed - now I feel all the time! That is definetely one positive thing to me.

It is way heavier and thicker, more syrupy (I know you told me so) than what I now realize was what I was really looking for: a simple, happy yet refined, slightly "transparant" orange blossom scent. But still Fleur de Oranger is a keeper due to it´s beaty (and cumin), I will just wear it on other occasions than I intended to in my quest for orange blossom.

Thanks guys!

My swap thread

Blog Entries

Thanks for reporting back pelle! Have you researched neroli fragrances much? l generally find neroli to be a lighter, fresher version of orange blossom. Profumum Neroli might be worth a try?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

as jrd mentions, it feels feminine.. but on a recent outing with my buddies, i had carried a mini bottle of Fleurs d'Oranger along with Hyperessense matale and during our return following afternoon, i splashed some FdO on.. my freinds were totally memerized by the smell...end results..i almost lost a quater of it i guess it's so beautiful.. people forget to label it as a masculine or feminine

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks for reporting back pelle! Have you researched neroli fragrances much? l generally find neroli to be a lighter, fresher version of orange blossom. Profumum Neroli might be worth a try?
    I can´t say I have researched either Orange Blossom nor Neroli enough to know the difference in smell. I own (and find them worlds apart) Guerlain Flora Nerolia and Czech & Speake Neroli, and I wanted something as fresh as the C & S but with the softness of the Guerlain. A little more "dark" smell but still for everyday wear.

And yes jenson - I think most Lutens goes behind male/female and also orange blossom as a note. (I don´t think I´d have said that last thing two years ago, but we all improve. )

My swap thread