Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I saw this fragrance at my local Ross today for a good price. I think I read somewhere before that it was reformulated, but I've never tried it....is it a good fragrance regardless? Anything it smells similar to?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I sampled it a couple times and thought it was unbalanced; basically, too sweet. I should sample it again but I don't think I'd like it enough to buy it and don't want to waste time (with a full wearing) on a frag that has yet to impress me.

UPDATE: When I wrote the above sweet frags were bothering me.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th August 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Red is a strong, heavy powerhouse fragrance that apparently contains over 600 ingredients or something. And it smells like it. It's hard to describe because it's almost impossible to indentify any of the individual notes. I will say that it smells dense, spicy, sweet and leathery, and nothing like anything that's been trendy in the designer world for the past 15 years. It has a bit of a late-80s/early 90s smell to it, i.e. mossy and leathery, if that means anything to you.

If you haven't read any of the reviews on this, you'll see that hardly anyone else has been able to describe what Red For Men smells like either.

The two fragrances that I think it smells similar to are Preferred Stock (by Coty) and Trussardi Uomo.

Hope that helps.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

okay - it's my queue to drop in here give the low down. Below is some industry info from the launch back in 1991:

Red for Men: fast start set. (Giorgio Inc. introduces men's fragrance) (product announcement)
    WWD
    Date:
    February 8, 1991
    Author:
    Ginsberg, Steve
    More results for:
    red for men giorgio beverly hills

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- Giorgio and Red have been blockbuster women's scents for Giorgio Beverly Hills, but the company's men's fragrances have been more like duds.
    Red for Men, which Giorgio will launch in late May -- in time for Father's Day -- is the company's effort to change that and become a dominant player in the men's field.
    Michael Gould, Giorgio's chief executive officer, is projecting $30 million at retail for Red for Men in only seven months, starting in June. The goal appears lofty, considering the recession, but Gould has visions of Red for Men cracking the top six in volume at most department and specialty stores next Christmas.
    Industry sources estimate that Calvin Klein's Obsession for Men, along with Drakkar Noir and Polo, are the market leaders, with retail sales ranging from $65 million to $80 million in 1990.
    To provide the necessary visibility, Giorgio will use TV to back up the launch, the company's first use of television for an introduction.
    After watching Klein score in the men's business with Obsession and then with Eternity, following highly successful women's fragrances of the same names, Gould hopes Giorgio can do the same.
    "I hate to use the word 'blockbuster,' but we think we can have a major success in the men's market," Gould said.
    "We have never really had the mindset in men's to really but a marketing program and the monies together behind the launch and an ongoing program. We have set a high goal and think we can do more with Red for Men in those first six months than we did with our other two men's brands, combined, all of last year," he said, a reference to Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men and Giorgio Beverly Hills V.I.P. Special Reserve for Men.
    Gould pointed out that Giorgio has had its problems in the men's field. Snob appeal was the main marketing thrust for V.I.P. Reserve, but the move backfired, Gould maintains, because the product didn't attract a large enough audience. The original Giorgio men's fragrance was also burdened by an image as a special-occasion fragrance.
    Red for Men will be much more approachable with sexier, lifestyle advertising and in-store visuals. Instead of making the bottle the star of the ads, the campaign will feature a young man and woman kissing. The tag line: Pure Attraction.
    In addition to spot TV commercials in most major markets, a scent-strip campaign is planned in 14 major men's and women's fashion magazines. Men's magazines such as GQ, Sports Illustrated and Playboy will be used by Giorgio for the first time.
    A direct mail program will deliver 1.5 million samples to consumers' homes in June.
    A special events program with red sports cars is being planned to create excitement. Linda LoRe, senior vice president of marketing at Giorgio, has been contacting car clubs around the country for red cars that will be parked around stores. Samples of Red for Men will be housed in plastic replicas of red sports cars on store counters.
    Red for Men will be introduced in half of Red's 1,800 doors in June. By Christmas, it will be rolled out to the full distribution. Launch stores will have about three months of exclusivity.
    The men's fragrance will bear upper-moderate price points, with a twice-yearly limited edition of a 1.7-oz. spray cologne retailing for $26. Other items will include a 3.4-oz. spray cologne for $39.50, an after shave soother and after shave refresher, each 3.4-oz. for $28.
    A blend of 551 ingredients, including 35 naturals, the scent is a woody fougere created by Givaudan. A new note, called Sequoia -- after the giant Redwood trees in northern California -- is meant to give the scent woody freshness, according to LoRe.
    Gould and Dick Recker, senior vice president of sales, will be making presentations to stores this month and next.
    The women's line continues to be a top seller and retail volume in the U.S. exceeded $100 million last year, Gould said.
    Rita Burke, vice president of fragrances at Macy's Northeast, said, "Based on their success with Red for women there is definitely an opportunity for Red for Men. I'm glad Mike [Gould] is not sitting back this spring and is aggressively pursing a fragrance introduction.
    She continued, "There is not much happening this spring. We expect it to be a major success."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    okay - it's my queue to drop in here give the low down. Below is some industry info from the launch back in 1991:

Red for Men: fast start set. (Giorgio Inc. introduces men's fragrance) (product announcement)
    WWD
    Date:
    February 8, 1991
    Author:
    Ginsberg, Steve
    More results for:
    red for men giorgio beverly hills

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- Giorgio and Red have been blockbuster women's scents for Giorgio Beverly Hills, but the company's men's fragrances have been more like duds.
    Red for Men, which Giorgio will launch in late May -- in time for Father's Day -- is the company's effort to change that and become a dominant player in the men's field.
    Michael Gould, Giorgio's chief executive officer, is projecting $30 million at retail for Red for Men in only seven months, starting in June. The goal appears lofty, considering the recession, but Gould has visions of Red for Men cracking the top six in volume at most department and specialty stores next Christmas.
    Industry sources estimate that Calvin Klein's Obsession for Men, along with Drakkar Noir and Polo, are the market leaders, with retail sales ranging from $65 million to $80 million in 1990.
    To provide the necessary visibility, Giorgio will use TV to back up the launch, the company's first use of television for an introduction.
    After watching Klein score in the men's business with Obsession and then with Eternity, following highly successful women's fragrances of the same names, Gould hopes Giorgio can do the same.
    "I hate to use the word 'blockbuster,' but we think we can have a major success in the men's market," Gould said.
    "We have never really had the mindset in men's to really but a marketing program and the monies together behind the launch and an ongoing program. We have set a high goal and think we can do more with Red for Men in those first six months than we did with our other two men's brands, combined, all of last year," he said, a reference to Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men and Giorgio Beverly Hills V.I.P. Special Reserve for Men.
    Gould pointed out that Giorgio has had its problems in the men's field. Snob appeal was the main marketing thrust for V.I.P. Reserve, but the move backfired, Gould maintains, because the product didn't attract a large enough audience. The original Giorgio men's fragrance was also burdened by an image as a special-occasion fragrance.
    Red for Men will be much more approachable with sexier, lifestyle advertising and in-store visuals. Instead of making the bottle the star of the ads, the campaign will feature a young man and woman kissing. The tag line: Pure Attraction.
    In addition to spot TV commercials in most major markets, a scent-strip campaign is planned in 14 major men's and women's fashion magazines. Men's magazines such as GQ, Sports Illustrated and Playboy will be used by Giorgio for the first time.
    A direct mail program will deliver 1.5 million samples to consumers' homes in June.
    A special events program with red sports cars is being planned to create excitement. Linda LoRe, senior vice president of marketing at Giorgio, has been contacting car clubs around the country for red cars that will be parked around stores. Samples of Red for Men will be housed in plastic replicas of red sports cars on store counters.
    Red for Men will be introduced in half of Red's 1,800 doors in June. By Christmas, it will be rolled out to the full distribution. Launch stores will have about three months of exclusivity.
    The men's fragrance will bear upper-moderate price points, with a twice-yearly limited edition of a 1.7-oz. spray cologne retailing for $26. Other items will include a 3.4-oz. spray cologne for $39.50, an after shave soother and after shave refresher, each 3.4-oz. for $28.
    A blend of 551 ingredients, including 35 naturals, the scent is a woody fougere created by Givaudan. A new note, called Sequoia -- after the giant Redwood trees in northern California -- is meant to give the scent woody freshness, according to LoRe.
    Gould and Dick Recker, senior vice president of sales, will be making presentations to stores this month and next.
    The women's line continues to be a top seller and retail volume in the U.S. exceeded $100 million last year, Gould said.
    Rita Burke, vice president of fragrances at Macy's Northeast, said, "Based on their success with Red for women there is definitely an opportunity for Red for Men. I'm glad Mike [Gould] is not sitting back this spring and is aggressively pursing a fragrance introduction.
    She continued, "There is not much happening this spring. We expect it to be a major success."
    Wow. Thanks for the info scentimus! Thanks everyone else, too!

Guess I'll have to try the stuff for myself....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I sampled Red last night, about an hour before I eventually fell asleep. It seemed rather close to Devin at first, a sweet leather with the other notes in the background (wood was clearly present), and little if any floral element. Right before I fell asleep, I noticed the wood get stronger, and it seemed to be getting drier. I awoke about 4 hours later, and at that point it was mostly a dry wood scent, somewhere between cedar and pine. The sweet leather was now in the background. Considering it's current price, this is certainly worth considering, especially if you don't have Devin, Green Jeans, or Montana Parfum d'Homme. Red covers all those bases (minus the soapy lavender of the Montana), but at the price of identity. You start with a sweet leather and then the Sequoia note becomes dominant; it's almost like two frags in one, if that's what you want.

Well, I finally decided to grab 100 ml of this one, not being able to resist the prices it's selling for now. Obviously, it must be the reformulation, so I hope it is true to the original. I finally decided to buy it after I realized that it was close to Polo Crest (to my nose, at least), but more importantly, because I agree with the reviewer who said that there are many different impressions of this frag because it contains so many ingredients. Sometimes you can smell the Yatagan in it (though Red is sweeter), while other times it's like Polo Crest, then other times it's like Green Jeans (if you pick up a lot of the "Redwood sequoia" note during that wearing), and once it smelled like Devin to me, etc. I may even dilute it with vodka to see if I can create a more interesting frag that way.

I have it and I use it as a room spay.

Basically, it's Yatagan gone fougere via Drakkar Noir or something similar with just as much dihydromyrcenol. But Red for Men isn't nearly as good as Yatagan (how could it be?), nor is it even as good as Drakkar Noir. But I like having it around. It's one of those big "What the hell is this? I think I'll spray it up in the air a couple of times and find out what I think of it now" fragrances.

The best thing about it is that its name fits its temperament. And you might as well buy it, because its cheap and provides some good contrast when you need it.

I find it a very cheerful, casual day scent. Like mentioned, comparable to Montana, perhaps Escada.

Didn't like this one at all.

Bought a dated one, blind. To me, it's too close to the synthetic poupourri that is Drakkar Noir, as mentioned. Undefined. I don't see myself reaching for this one much now or later.

Here is my latest review for the two versions:

I think one of the "problems" some aficionados have when trying to grasp Red is that it doesn't fit easily into any established category. Lavender is clearly present, but it's not a typical fougere (lavender isn't listed on any note pyramid for it that I've seen, for some reason). There is spice, amber, and sweetness, but it's not an oriental. There is a "sweaty"/"dirty," Yatagan-like quality. There is also a mossy chypre quality. And there is also a strong wood note, supposedly sequoia (which may be what gives this an interesting dry quality, though the dryness is more of a facet than something that dominates it all the time), but it's not as much a focus to this fragrances as is the case for one like Green Jeans. There's even a subtle floral element. Instead, it has excellent balance among the many notes (all of which I enjoy, as long as they are not really strong). To me, this is not just acceptable (if done well), but should be viewed as the height of modern, "designer" perfumery. The dynamism here is fabulous, the note contrast (as well as note separation) is incredible, and there is no "synthetic"' quality. And while it is "deep" and rich, it's also "uplifting," perhaps due to juniper, wormwood, and basil notes (something is creating an almost minty quality).

The new version of Red is quite different, and of little interest to the aficionado, IMO. Instead of excellent balance, it goes into a particular direction ("dark"/"heavy" lavender with a synthetic smelling wood note in the backgroung) and just sits there. It's sort of like Motana Parfum d'Homme or Havana, but missing a few of the signature elements (no soapy pine, for example, as one finds in the Montana). It's not bad at all; think of it as being on a level with the best Samba fragrances. And since that is roughly where it is priced right now, I can't say it is too expensive for what it is. However, if you wear it and think that the original Red was nothing special (without giving it a fair shake), you are deluding yourself or your sense of smell is not developed to a point where you should concern yourself with such things (instead, I'd advise studying fragrances by doing a lot of sampling). The reformulation wasn't bad, especially compared to ones like Lagerfeld Cologne (which became "Classic"), but I'd say it's like comparing Babe Ruth to Chris Chamblis (and Chamblis was one of my favorite Yankess when I was a kid) as players. Now if you are seeking "purity" or simplicity in a fragrance, neither version is for you. The original Red is the opposite of the J.C. Elena type "transparent" fragrance, and one of my favorites!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th August 2011 at 02:14 AM.

I purchased a bottle for ten bucks at TJMX, thinking that the profile described would fit me to a T. However, I am so suspicious of my bottle that I'm not even posting a review. It squirts rather than mists, and has little strength--not at all what I was expecting. I can't imagine counterfeiting a cheap fragrance, but any suggested comments would be appreciated: why does my bottle smell like watery Quorum?

I also use this one as a (bath)room spray . . . and in the car for that new car smell.

Cheers . . . Wally

A spicy mix of all sorts of stuff. Woodsy, dirty, leathery, spicy. Gets all sorts of reactions too. I wore it and have been asked what it is, been told it smells terrible, been told I smell delicious. The reformlation isn't bad for the price.

Quorum is darker in my opinion.
    Drakkar is less complex.

The problem with using any of those is comparisons is they've all been reforumlated, including the original topic of this, Red for Men. Drakkar smells threadbare these days. Early 1990s knockoffs of Drakkar are better. Even though its lighter English Blazer hits off better than the current stuff when compared against the old. Quorum seems to have lightened up a bit and taken a lean towards cinnamon in the drydown, kind of seems like they've attempted to replace what was originally there with other similar smelling stuff, and its gotten weaker to the point where the current cologne is like the old aftershave, but for the price who can complain.

Thank you, 114. I don't have the means to chase original formulae, but it's good to know that some of these frags lack balls. Right now I fully trust Azzaro... everything else needs to be verified first!

I've got original formulation Quorum, Perry Ellis, Red for men, Giorgio for Men, and Lagerfeld Cologne for sale/swap, along with decants of original formulation Zino, Azzaro Pour Homme, Woodhue Cologne, Jacomo de Jacomo, and Jaguar, for example. Take a look in the sales and swap forums if you want vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by word-doctor View Post
    I purchased a bottle for ten bucks at TJMX, thinking that the profile described would fit me to a T. However, I am so suspicious of my bottle that I'm not even posting a review. It squirts rather than mists, and has little strength--not at all what I was expecting. I can't imagine counterfeiting a cheap fragrance, but any suggested comments would be appreciated: why does my bottle smell like watery Quorum?
    Just bought a new bottle today and my sprayer sprays a mile away and the scent is amazing....This is my second bottle in a year ina half.

I first purchased Red for women at a high end dept. store in the early 90's. It was VERY different from anything popular at that time. Complex, I couldn't identify a single ingredient, as a former reviewer noted. But very pleasant. Red also had a jar of light colored pink creme with tiny red flecks of red, when applied to the skin the red flecks liquified to scent. Had to be used with a light hand, it was strong & long lasting. Loved it. Sadly the reformulated version available at discount stores' shelves is very different from the original, and not in a good way. The only good thing I can say about the reformulated Red is it's much less expensive now. Even if it still smelled good, I won't buy a fragrance that's available at Wal Mart. In a small town like mine I don't want to run into another woman wearing the same fragrance, which happens with scents sold at Wal Mart!
    Deb

completely love this juice, real man stuff!
    ....why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat....

Sound Scents

The vintage Red is fabulous and I am very happy to have it in my collection. I can't say the same of the reformulated re-release on this one... Really too bad, as the re-release is selling for silly money.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The current version is quite good.

Agreed I find no difference and I have used the product for years. I think the older bottles have turned with age and that is what is making it smell different

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Agreed I find no difference and I have used the product for years. I think the older bottles have turned with age and that is what is making it smell different
    It could be the same kind of variations I experienced with the regular Giorgio for Men. I have used the vintage stuff for years, and when I originally bought a re-release bottle a couple years back I was elated, as they were identical scent-wise to my nose. Then I bought a backup bottle more recently late last year and while it was still quite good smelling on the whole and plenty strong, it smelled different after the top notes dissipated (in a bad way). After others confirmed the change in their re-release bottles at the same time we concluded there are significant batch variations (most likely due to using a different manufacturer/process). If EA switched to the same new manufacturer/process for the more recent Red re-release bottles (and those are the ones I have smelled, as the current bottle I sniffed was from earlier this year) then that would explain a lot. In my case, the Red reformulation that I sniffed was a failure.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)