Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Geranium Pour Monsieur

Testing this one now...it seems like--quite literally--the perfect suit sent. That said, I'm fortunate not to have to wear suits tremendously often at this stage in my life. Even so, this is one for the wishlist, and one that seems 100% worth its price to me. May have to factor this into my 5 year plan

Any fans of this particular frag on the boards?
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Default Re: Geranium Pour Monsieur

Toothpaste Pour Monsieur is what it should have been called!
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree it smells like toothpaste! Just sampled this the other day. Really didn't like it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    I totally agree it smells like toothpaste! Just sampled this the other day. Really didn't like it at all.
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

The only Malle I really don't like . To me it does not smell exactly like toothpaste but it does smell exactly the same as when I go to the dentist, some kind of tooth desinfectant or something, or the rinse product. I wanted to love it so badly, especially given my overall Malle attraction, but I simply can't. Don t want a remember my dentist every time I wear this one. A big No for me.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I'm one that really likes this and always get a compliment when I've worn it. Wore it to my company dinner last month and had 2 people actually wrote down the name. Doesn't remind me of toothpaste at all. Floral with mint overtones in a very masculine way. And at a dinner wearing a suit where there's dancing going on later in the evening, heavy scents I've worn in the past turned out to be disastrous (Bois du Portugal, Musc Ravageur). This one works perfectly when dancing and sweating wearing a suit.

One of my favorite "all year round" scents.

I don't think mint is the problem--in fact, I think the mint note is handled very well.

I would certainly consider this as a warm-weather fragrance if it wasn't for the fact that I pick up an offputting citronella note--so I won't be considering this unless I head for mosquito-infested climes.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Post Thanks / Like

The accord seems wrong to me being that powerful. It would work if it was as diffusive as, say, derby but that minty geranium needs to be subtle for me and GpM shouts VERY LOUD.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    The accord seems wrong to me being that powerful. It would work if it was as diffusive as, say, derby but that minty geranium needs to be subtle for me and GpM shouts VERY LOUD.
    The problem with Geranium Pour Monsieur is that, after about 30 minutes, it's too BLOODY QUIET!

My problem with GpM is that it's a one trick pony, seems very linear and when it's doing what it's doing it's not really terribly pleasant. It's ok, just not great.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It is very linear, not worth the price for mr although, I can see why some like it, it's VERY different and unique.

SALES THREAD

Contact through PM

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a suit. I would never wear this fragrance with a suit - or pretty much at any other time either.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy Geranium Pour Monsieur as an alternative to other more 'standard' summer scents - altho HK is not in the tropics our Spring / Summer is easily compatible to Singapore etc - sometimes even more oppressive. The way the mint is handled actually reminds me more of freshly grown mint I used to use in tea, it's quite soft and uplifting, so no problem there for me - it's a nice change from citrus or lavender styled scents and very natural. It seems to last pretty well for me during the day and I agree that it's quite crisp and dressy - fine for work.

Just an after thought - I wore the Creed Selection Verte a few times and liked that but it is very fleeting, of course. GpM is the only mint I have come across that has the same natural feel to me, and extending the mint with the geranium solves the short lived nature of SV in it's own kind of way.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 15th November 2010 at 02:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Malle collection as well as geranium but I have to add my name to the list of those who feel this smells just like toothpaste.

Post Thanks / Like

an alternative might be C&S's Oxford and Cambridge. It's a minty lavender.

Personally I liked GrM though. not enough to buy a bottle, but it was a very interesting experience.

PS:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...-Pour-Monsieur
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/233...rther-Thoughts
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/225...-pour-Monsieur
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Its unique and I wanted to like it for that fact alone but, it does smell just like toothpaste and I can't shake that fact.

SALES THREAD

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    My problem with GpM is that it's a one trick pony, seems very linear and when it's doing what it's doing it's not really terribly pleasant. It's ok, just not great.
    Well said. Good, not great, and at that price, I would take Heeley's mint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    an alternative might be C&S's Oxford and Cambridge. It's a minty lavender.

Personally I liked GrM though. not enough to buy a bottle, but it was a very interesting experience.

PS:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...-Pour-Monsieur
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/233...rther-Thoughts
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/225...-pour-Monsieur
    For me tbh these two have pretty much nothing in common except maybe for a few notes they might share.

I love Oxf. and Camb but can't wear GpM. I don't get much of the peppermint in the C&S by the way, nothing compared to the Malle's. I smell way more the lavender obviously, and the Oak Moss and Sandalwood. Bergamotte is also detectable, but the mint is really tamed.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    The problem with Geranium Pour Monsieur is that, after about 30 minutes, it's too BLOODY QUIET!
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I do like some loud frags as well as many quiet ones but this strikes me as the type of frag that would work as a quiet cologne type. For a loud frag [i.e. Trebor stylee ;-)] it may go quiet, but for a quiet one - its BLOODY LOUD...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Yes, definitely smelling like toothpaste. Geranium extract is very cheap in price and I just don't understand the inflated price of this toothpaste fragrance. Ungaro III flings it out of the water with its tail any moment of the day.

This smells like minty gum covering up bad breath.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my absolute favorite spring/summer fragrances, but I think it is a little casual.

Also one of my preferred Malles - a wonderfully smelling scent IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I'm one that really likes this and always get a compliment when I've worn it
    Agree, another fan here. Mint is there, but this is no mouth freshner as a few mentioned...

This one's quite potent & projects really well for 4-5hrs, which was very surprising for me; excellent longevity as well.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a terrific scent that needs time and attention to be fully appreciated. It's also best to get the pre-reformulated version.
    My current top five:

Guerlain - Mitsouko
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    Parfum d'Empire - Equistrius
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble
    Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wanted to like Toothpaste Pour Monsieur, but I just can't get past that shouty mint screaming at me before it all just dies out. I also got looks of murder from my girlfriend - so I've pretty much given up on this.

IMO, Geranium Pour Monsieur missed the mark... but Roadster by Cartier got the mint and dry down just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Testing this one now...it seems like--quite literally--the perfect suit sent. That said, I'm fortunate not to have to wear suits tremendously often at this stage in my life. Even so, this is one for the wishlist, and one that seems 100% worth its price to me. May have to factor this into my 5 year plan

Any fans of this particular frag on the boards?
    I totally agree about the tailored, suit-worthy vibe. I envision a super-premium tropical weight wool in charcoal grey or midnight navy with a very subtle chalk stripe. I don't wear this scent but a friend of mine does and I can say it goes just as well with 501's and a waffle henley. He has noted the mint but says it doesn't last and he rather enjoys it.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally irrelevant who this fragrance is made by: Yes it really does smell like youve just sprayed yourself with some kind of antibacterial mouthwash, and it does not get any better by waiting to see if it blossoms into anything interesting or pleasing to the nose...

Post Thanks / Like

I've come to like this one a lot. The trick is to go easy on the trigger; it's actually very strong and radiant. The chemical effect comes about if you over-apply. Worn correctly, it's a sharply-dressed floral freshness that lasts all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised to read all the mouthwash/toothpaste remarks. I am not a fan of mint in general, in anything besides toothpaste, but I think this is a fantastic scent, very well-balanced to my nose. Also very unusual in its composition, IMO.

I find that it strikes a nice balance between classic and modern, and while I see the "suit" references, it works perfectly well as a casual scent, as has also been noted. One of my favorites in the Malle lineup!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled the whole male/unisex line and ended up buying this one.