Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guerlain Vetiver Feedback

Hi folks,

Guerlain Vetiver is one of my favorite/most used fragrances of all time. My wife loves it too. But I see a lot of bad reviews about GV (most of them talking about a suposed "old man" feeling). So I became curious to know if GV is a fragrance that brings compliments or good feedback from people around when you use it.

Thanks for the responses!

P.S. I'd like to make clear that I don't give a damn for what other people think about the fragrances I use. This post is just about my curiosity on the fact that GV is called an "old people smell" for some. And I want to put that I think this notion varies a lot among countries. Here where I live GV is never associated to old people.
    Last edited by ricardohmedina; 15th March 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver Feedback

Nope, the only two compliments I received while wearing it were both negative. First was from my gf "you smell like an old man". And the second was from two girls while I was standing in line at a sandwich shop "he smells like pinesol".

I think it smells great!

I guess it's too "crisp" for a lot of people. I don't like the sour quality to it, which is why it's on my swap list, but I'm also not a big fan of crisp frags. Once in a while I'll wear Jack Black Silver Mark or M; Men, but this is about as close I get to this kind of frag. I don't worry about the "old man" thing, though, because if I did I wouldn't wear any frags (since the non-old man frags are of little interest to me LOL).

I've liked it for over 20 years and still love it. I did have one friend say after I just sprayed it on, that it smelled like bug spray.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Everyone has an opinion. Now if that is favorable or not depends. Females that have complimented on frags like Guerlain Vetiver, Terre DHermes and similar have been outdoorsy or earthy types. They enjoy the scents of nature and have complimented that they smell rugged and like a man.

Never had any compliments. Even when I wear it and tell my wife, "Damn I smell good", her response is invariably, "Gross. You smell like my Grandpa."
    Can't beg, borrow, or steal a compliment out of that stuff for me. But they are all insane. Its wicked.

A brilliant scent indeed.

I've never drawn any compliments whatsoever whilst wearing it. But then I've never drawn any compliments wearing Yatagan, L'Anarchiste, Hammam Bouquet (oh no, actually that's not true, but it was a from a man not a woman).

I have drawn compliments when I've worn more mainstream fragrances though, the most being for Ungaro III and Desir by Rochas. I have to say I've garnered a lot of favourable remarks when I've worn Sartorial recently.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Sur la Plage

I don't think I have received either a positive or negative comment when wearing Guerlain Vetiver. But then again, I really don't care - I wear it because I like it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have received positive compliments.

I love and will always wear this scent but I have gotten the "old man" comment from younger people. Probably the tobacco note.
    But those who have memories of the scent from the past, have complimented me positively.
    I have also gotten a "Do you smell something musty?" comment on the pre-reformulation version. Probably the vetiver note itself when the juice wasn't so bright.
    They know nothing about quality scents!

I had to give this away as I could not stand the plastic playdough notes I kept smelling within the fragrance.

It's a delight, I must join the ranks of people who haven't received any compliments on it (nor abuse) however I'm not bothered because I enjoy it.

What Vetiver would people recommend to someone whose only Vetiver is this one, and who has never smelt any others so far? Also GV was a blind buy based off the reviews, that gamble certainly paid off.
    Last edited by Anť; 15th November 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Not all female feedback I got on this frag was negative and while it is definitely no ultimate compliment getter, its smoothness and elegance make wearing this on almost any occasion worthwhile, also attracting a few positive comments on this

I did about 3-4 full wearing with this early on here and my wife couldn't stand it and I wasn't a fan either. I just kept pressing it. I wanted to like it but always hated it. Funny because for the "premier vetiver" it is my least favorite and I much prefer Encre Noir, Grey Vetiver, Sycamore and many others. I do like the opening but after that the tobacco is too much and ruins the rest. It leaves it with a "cactusy/spikey" feeling that overwhelms me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

All formulations of this fragrance I think are marvelous. I have never worn a fragrance that I viewed as "old", so I can't comment on that issue.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

reminds me of my great grandmother. Makes me sick to my stomache. Everytime tried it my gag reflex immedietly kicked in.

I love vetiver and wore Guerlain's Vetiver some when I was younger, but as of today, it is a bit dated smelling IMHO. That being said, It is a classic and I respect the hell out of it, but I no longer can wear it. God knows I have tried. I have bought and sold GV at least 4 times in the past 5 years.

GV smelled interesting on paper so I decided to give it a try on my skin. I typically do a one wrist spritz before a full wearing, I don't want to douse myself then have a bad reaction to it. I have an issue with getting headaches or becoming nauseous with certain scents once they are in a full wearing.

I had a steady g-friend I was living with at the time and her car was in the shop so I drove her to work on this particular morning I was trying my one wrist test. She asked me if I was sick. I told her that I felt fine. She asked wtf was that smell then. I told her I was testing a cologne to see if I liked it. She asked if I did. I asked her what she thought. She told me if I was trying to get rid of her that was the way to do it. I asked if I should get the small bottle or the big bottle. She told me not to waste my money a small bottle would work just fine.

Moral of the story... if you ever need to get rid of a woman it's good to keep some GV on hand. I don't like it at all and would never wear it but keep a sample vial around just in case!!!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I've never received a compliment wearing Guerlain Vetiver. The feedback I received was.."What are you wearing?". I said, "Guerlain Vetiver". She said, "Get Rid-of-her".

So this doesn't drop panties?

It drops panties alright... but the girl gets dropped right along with the panties. 'Baby and the bathwater' method.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

It´s interesting. So many answers about the bad feedback on GV. Here in Brasil no one makes the link with the "old man" feeling. Would it be something to do with the north american taste? Afterall, GV received lots of good reviews here in Basenotes.

While I understand the "old man" description, I find GV to be a very likable and versatile.

I used to wear Guerlain Vetiver before, but I have now discovered Frederic Malle`s Vetiver Extraordinaire which I think is exceptional good! Much more refined stuff than the G-V.

-Old man smell? Doesn`t matter. I love "old-man" scents! ;-)

Hmmm. Vetiver is an odd smell in Western cultures, outside of perfume circles. It's important not to press people's noses in things that they find unpleasant, but beyond courtesy I feel no obligation to the tastes of people who just like nice, familiar smells. Nothing wrong with nice, familiar smells or with those who prefer them. But there's no data there about the success or failure of a perfume. How could there be? And the "old man" thing just hurts the feelings of good people, many of them more stylish and vital than oneself.
    About Guerlain Vetiver in particular, I think it's wonderful stuff. To me there is no better vetiver. And it's really nice that it can be gotten cheaply in quantity. Thanks Jean Paul Guerlain!
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I like Guerlain Vetiver. I get "old man" from my wife. But she surprisingly likes TF Grey Vetiver. I certainly like it to, so it will eventually be my bottle purchase instead of Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Red Hot View Post
    I like Guerlain Vetiver. I get "old man" from my wife. But she surprisingly likes TF Grey Vetiver. I certainly like it to, so it will eventually be my bottle purchase instead of Guerlain.
    Well, I'm lucky here. My wife just loves Guerlain Vetiver on me... ;o)

Well, I wear only Guerlains, but Vetiver is the only one that I constantly get "Gosh you smell good" from.

wearing it now, for the first time. I like it and I will wear it out today. feels fresh. Its interesting that I am not a fan of some of the cooed about scents here. This one speaks to me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I bought GV based on the (mostly good) reviews here on BN but found my tolerance of it a bit low, mainly due to the tobacco note. I found my perfect Guerlain vetiver in Vetiver Extreme: less tobacco plus nutmeg and sweetened (or made less bitter) with tonka bean.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I only had bad "old man " comments wearing that, i finished to take the bottle and put it somewhere i'm sure i never find it again !

Basenotes Institution

I have received a handful of compliments when I wear Vetiver. I have never gotten a bad reaction from anyone wearing it. But then again, I only wear the vintage juice (EdC and EdT).

It needs to be worn in low dosage - one spray to the chest, then it keeps its mystery. Should not be worn loud.
    My only problem with it is that it is so "legible" (as Turin would put it) that anyone who knows anything at all about fragrance just thinks ..."oh...Guerlain Vetiver". Many times I've walked into a room and thought that rather than "what is that good smell?"
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Not sure if it was the sport or frozen version but the was a version that didn't have any tobacco. It was spectacular!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

It's a great classic scent. Sadly, some people are going to consider it a more "mature" fragrance. If you're young, some women will be spooked by it unless you have the fragrance personality and chutzpah to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    It needs to be worn in low dosage - one spray to the chest, then it keeps its mystery. Should not be worn loud.
    My only problem with it is that it is so "legible" (as Turin would put it) that anyone who knows anything at all about fragrance just thinks ..."oh...Guerlain Vetiver". Many times I've walked into a room and thought that rather than "what is that good smell?"
    Man, such low amount of juice is just impossible to me. I don´t have any fragrance that projects or persist with one spray only. Even impossible for me to smell the scent I'm using in this scenario.

I respect it but it smells like grandpa.

When it warms up some in March, I'll break my new bottle out! This has to be a good work scent, but I'd say two sprays max.

I've never owned a bottle, but on the two occasions I sprayed some on to test, I received negative feedback from female friends of mine. "You smell like my grandfather" sums it up pretty much!

I've tried to appreciate it, but I'm really not a fan of it.

Personally, I really like this scent, but I was turned off when the ladies at work said it reminded them of the smell of their grandparents.

What is wrong with reminding someone of their grandfather? Seems like it would trigger warm memories.

I don't mind smelling like an old man -but I normally smell like an old lady

I got a negative feedback once, when I was inside a subway train. Maybe I was wearing too much of it, I don't know. But people around me made sure they didn't like my fragrance.

Vetiver is the only Guerlain that I constantly receive positive feedback from, by lovers, co-workers and people in general. That tobacco-ish, green-brown drydown never fails to enchant!

I think the key to Guerlain Vetiver is to go very lightly on the trigger. In light amounts, it reminds me of a grassy, autumnal apple orchard at harvest time. Just a wonderful scent. In heavier doses, though, I can see how some people might get the 'grandpa" association. Just go light on the trigger, wear it outdoors and in the fall (the ideal season for it, imo). Under those provisions, I think chances are good you will hear more compliments. That's when it works best for me, anyway.

I do not get good or bad comments on GV, but it is not my choice to wear when I go to the club or want to get action from the wife. It is for work or other "routine" type events. I save the Musc Rav or the Black Orchid for the other times.
    Just as you would not were a T shirt to a wedding or funeral you should pick and choose to wear the right scent and the right time.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I love Guerlain Vetiver whether it is recent or vintage. It is such a versitile classic fragrance with beautiful sillage and longevity. It is a wardrobe staple. I'll be wearing it comfortably whenever I choose to from now until doomsday. I've yet to receive a negative reaction to GV anywhere, anytime.

Martin

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've never gotten a compliment from GV, and frankly I feel the scent is a bit overrated. Sure, it's utilitarian, casual, and well-crafted, but there's nothing about it that strikes me as particularly exciting or alluring. Its biggest problem for me is the citrus overload, mainly lemon, coming off the top, which does bitter things up quite a bit. Personally I like GV, but can understand if those around me are less than thrilled by it. It's been my go-to vetiver for everyday use in the summer, although soon to be replaced by an aquatic.

Original Vetiver by Creed, however, seems to stop hearts at ten paces. That one is worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    What is wrong with reminding someone of their grandfather? Seems like it would trigger warm memories.
    It is a comfortable smell, it has grown on me over the course of time and I like a lot now.

I love GV on men and on me.

GV was my first blind buy after joining up here, and my first vetiver. I'm not sure what I expected, but I just didn't like it. I found it very overpowering and linear, and didn't get any of the other nuances that others spoke of. So I tried Encre Noir, based on its supposed "darkness." To me, while I do perceive the differences, it still smells 90% like GV.

I think, though, the problem is me. I trust the noses around here, and I can typically deduce from reviews and general discussion what a fragrance is like, but vetiver just confounds me. I do wear Vettiveru and Creed's Original Vetiver and like them very much. But they're not as linear to me. I also love the vetiver note in Bang, which I don't see much discussion on (seems most just get pepper out of it). So maybe I'm just a bit sensitive to it.

As for smelling "old," I wouldn't sweat it as long as you like it. I've worn Aramis since before I could drive, and sport other "old man" fragrances fairly regularly.

I love it and it has garnered compliments. It's a wonderful, wonderful scent!

I've received compliments on GV from men and women. The old-man references baffle me. It doesn't smell musty and dated; the sweetness is carefully balanced, it's not an aggressive vetiver, and there's the wonderful spicy nutmeg note that doesn't make it gourmand, just gives it a bit of interest.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

i tried it the other week because i was told it is "the holy grail" in vetivers.
    so i went to the mall and sprayed some on my wrist.

eeeeeek, no go. DISGUSTING STUFF
    really really old people kimd of smell.

could not wash it off fast enough..

never again

Recently bought this. It is an excellent fragrance!

Excellent fragrance. I can see why it might not be for everyone, but I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardohmedina View Post
    Hi folks,

Guerlain Vetiver is one of my favorite/most used fragrances of all time. My wife loves it too. But I see a lot of bad reviews about GV (most of them talking about a suposed "old man" feeling). So I became curious to know if GV is a fragrance that brings compliments or good feedback from people around when you use it.

Thanks for the responses!
    First thing is I wear any cologne/perfume just to please myself.If I go by what other people likes or not, then I will go crazy.There is something called uniqueness.

Second thing Guerlain Vetiver is for a "CLASS" people.
    Panty droppers!!!????come on..spend money and find escort services.

This cologne is for people with grace.If you don't get a positive review, mostly because of its dominating power which seals people's mouth and not dare to cross your way.

I am very very happy that people in this thread are advising to avoid it, coz it makes it unique [it is unique on its own] and only people with class can carry it with confidence.

THIS IS NOT A MASS FRAGRANCE.

Last but not least, people associate it with old man wibe.....its their subconscious.In this modern world, people has lost contact with nature and the most natural smelling thing will only bring back the memories of nature/old days/vintage era.

SO IF YOU THINK YOU LIKE GV,THEN BE HAPPY THAT YOU ARE AMONG ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO GOT A SENSE OF CLASS AND WHO ARE TRUE JEWELLERS WHO CAN DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN A FAKE AND A GEM.
    Last edited by neo_the_1; 25th February 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Had a bottle, tried to like it, but had to swap it... I like the top citrusy notes, but can't stand the sour tobbaco that comes after mixed with some powder.
    Anyone has ever tried the 2006's Vetiver Sport version? It seems to be what I'm looking for: almost no tobacco, almost no sour or powdery odor, enphasys on the citrusy top notes! Is it correct?