Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many sprays do you use on application?

Hi there, I was recently stalking my local fragrance counter and I rarely ever go into the womens section but I ventured there today.. Well. I witnessed like 5 women sample fragrances and drown themselves in these powerful toxic sweet scents. (Like Angel and Pink sugar).

Then I came home and before my mother left to go out.. She took her DKNY delicious and went crazy... I nearly asphyxiated.

Is it usual to over apply fragrances by accident? Or do majority of women do it? No offense.. I'd just like to know because it seems like MAJORITY.. not all... seem to over apply
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Default Re: How many sprays do you use on application?

6-9 sprays!
    Last edited by Maz24; 14th November 2007 at 06:50 AM.

Lots - 5 minimum, but often more. I have to because fragrances sit really close to my skin. This is both good and bad - it means I can wear things like Angel and Poison without gassing everyone in the vicinity, but I have to pretty much douse myself in stuff before anyone other than myself can smell what I'm wearing.

I agree that some people (men too) over apply - I think they just get too used to one scent. By mixing it up, I never really do - I'm rarely in the same fragrance two days running (unless I'm away and have only taken one with me).

For me, it really depends on which scent I'm wearing. For the most part though, I usually spray 6+ times.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Heavy fragrances - Some times a half spray
    Easy wearing fragrances - 2-3 sprays.

I almost never gets comments, and I take it as a compliment. I don't want my fragrances to enter the room before me

Depends on manner of application...for example, when I get out of the shower, I spray all over from a distance, or when I'm dressed I spray in the air and walk through it. When I spray close to my arm/torso I feel like there's too much fragrance on one spot, if you know what I mean

I prefer to dab fragrances. I feel that it gives me more control over the amount I wear and I'm less likely to gas my co-workers. I apply to both wrists and my chest. If the fragrance is not too strong, behind each ear and nape of neck.

If I'm using a fragrance with a sprayer in my collection - 1 spray on my chest.

If I'm testing a new fragrance with a sprayer - 1 spray on each arm near the wrist and 1 on the chest so I can see how it evolves in each area. It's heavier than I like to apply - but I feel it gives me an accurate assessment of how the scent is going to behave on my skin.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I almost only have frags with sprayers. Since I work at home, I seldom have to think about not offending others when it comes to application (I am lucky, I know! ), but I have a *thing* for re-applying, so I must say I just apply 2, max 3 sprays at a time, but re-apply SEVERAL times during the day...
    At the end of the day, I am just one big stinky cloud (well - at least hubby thinks so! )
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I try to take the fragrance i am spraying into consideration....but usually 5 sprays. There are exceptions like Amarige which one spray is plenty!

I'm with Divatologist on this one.
    It really all depends on the scent
    but, I do tend to go all out.
    Usually, 6+ times.

I don't even know how to do
    this 'half spray'

Although, if the scent is
    one that truly projects,
    I spray only 2-3 times
    then reapply later in the day,
    (which could be even worse I fear)
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Depends.
    Are we talking about 4711 or Youth Dew?
    I like to joke that I have the "amazing scent-killing skin" but I also like strong odors, and am not affronted even by those that tend to revolt people: aged cheese, skunks, perspiration, or horse manure.
    This is actually a good question, because it makes me think about standardizing my method of application.
    Let's see...I like to apply on each wrist, back of hands, and behind the ears. And one more on the neck. That makes seven spritzes.
    Some houses are light on me (Bulgari for example) and this amount hardly lasts.
    Madini, however, requires one light roll-on application to both wrists and it's good for hours.
    If I'm alone, I spritz double that amount and go outside until it settles.
    When I'm in public, I spritz four and carry a vial to dab on repeatedly in small doses.

2 or (rarely) 3 sprays: on forearm, then on finger to dab on neck, sometimes on torso or back of knees instead of forearm.

I cannot imagine what 5, 6, or 9 sprays of any scent would be like for me, but my skin holds scent very well, so I know I'm not going to go there....

A spray on each wrist and a spray in my cleavage area and
    one behind each ear.
    Less if it's a strong one like Angel or Melograno, more if it's
    a subtle scent.
    If I want to make a huge impact I may walk through a spray
    and use it in my hair too.

Three to five sprays, depending on the potency of the scent. I always wait at least half an hour before forcing myself on others but, like musse, I love to reapply my SotD at midday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Blog Entries

Depends on what scent and strength I'm wearing - but I prefer to dab - rather than spray, and never reapply during the day at work, but my day ends around 2:30pm so if the scent I applied early at 5 am is gone I may switch to something else for afternoon/evening when I get home.

Dab to inside wrists and top of hands, perhaps to inner elbows, behind the ears, and in the hollow of my neck. During summer I apply to back of knees if wearing a skirt.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I spray to my heart's content, everytime. This helps screen undesirable a-holes from my life.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I'm a master of the "half-spray". But I half-spray everywhere. Once to each wrist, once to each inner elbow, once behind each ear, once once to the cleavage. If it's a special night I give the back of each knee a wee squirt. And if it's something really potent (like Dune, on me at least) I just spray a cloud and walk through.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I risk under applying unless I'm planning to be alone. Like spices, you can always add, but it's very tough to subtract.

If I have a quiet night in, though, watch out. I may take a fragrance vacation and go crazy.
    Last edited by bernat; 15th November 2007 at 02:36 AM.

If it's a strong scent (like Organza or Collection) I try to use only use 1 squirt, lighter scents (like Fidji or Mure et Musc) get 2 or 3 sprays.

First off, it depends on the scent potency and the product strength.

EDTs and EDCs tend to be weaker, for some scents. With those, I may spray 2 sprays to my neck/cleavage area and one spray to my left wrist/forearm. (I then dab - not rub! - my right wrist/forearm with the left to spread the scent to that area too. Depending on my day's activities and the scent potency, I may carry a small atomizer or vial for a light re-application, if needed.

For strong scents or EDPs, I may only apply one spray to my neck/cleavage and another to my (left) wrist/forearm (and dab it on the other arm, again.) I usually don't re-apply them, later. On me most (decent) EDPs tend to stay 10-12 hours .

In any case, I prefer EDP. The only reason I'd buy an EDT is due to availability - some scents only come in that strength - the EDP is somehow "off" and the EDT is just more to my nose's liking, or the price of the EDT is more reasonable for my wallet. (By that I mean a a serious difference. Ex: $50 for a 1 oz EDT versus $80 for a 1 oz EDP.)

Five, in the same places as Kewart as a rule - 2 x wrist, 2 x back of ear/side of neck, 1 x cleavage, such as it is.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

My standard is 2 sprays - one to the left wrist and one down my shirt. (The left wrist, since I always, always end up resting my head on my left hand. Love smelling something nice while I'm at it.)
    I don't own many scents which are considered strong - but I perceive them as strong. I can't possibly spray more than 2 for most scents at the risk of nauseating myself. The one exception is Jour de Fête (and to an extent, Ouarzazate): it's very subtle, and to achieve anything resembling longevity, I need 4+ sprays, quite a lot for me. Bonus: it never reaches nauseating strength, like other frags do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    I spray to my heart's content, everytime. This helps screen undesirable a-holes from my life.

Me too ! **nodding**

It depends on the scent and what I'll do that day. F.ex at work,I'm reeeaally not allowed to use any....But I tend to do so non the less,only one spritz in the cleavage.If I have the day off I tend to wear 1-2 spritzes depending on the strenght of the scent.F.ex Narciso rodriguez edt I use 2 ,but only 1 at work.Angel and Poison +other "silage monsters" I tend to only spray once.It also varies how "hard I'm on the trigger". Parfum strenght is a different matter.I tend to dab in cleavage and on each inner albow.

For really strong ones (Angel, Jungle L'Elephant) I spritz once. Others that are less strong about 5 times - wrists, behind the ears, in the cleavage. I rarely get comments about my perfume so I don't think I overapply. Or maybe people are just being polite, hmmm.

With a light fragrance, if I'll be with people, my usual base is three, one light spray on each inner forearm (a bit above my wrists, so I don't wash it off) and one on my chest below my collar.

If I'll mostly be alone, I may also add a spray on the back of my neck and one spray in the air to walk through.

If it's heavy, it's either a single light spray on my chest or the back of my neck, or a _very_ light dabbing on wrists, base of neck front and back, and beneath my ears.

Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    LOL. That would be such a great tagline...

Anyhoo.

I have to be difficult and say that whether I spray or dab and how much/how often depends ENTIRELY on:

1. Which fragrance it is (if it's a cologne-type; splash with abandon, if it's a mid-strength EDT, about 6 sprays, if it's a potent EDP, 2-4 sprays)

2. How I'm feeling about the weather and my mood and where I'll be going. Some days fragrance lands on ankles and torso only to keep it away from my face (this is either due to feeling hyper-sensitive to scent, which is almost always, or due to the nature of the fragrance, OR because I want to leave room on arms and wrists for sampling my own or other people's creations).

There are a couple of scents that almost seem to demand theatrical presentation, so I don't even wear the on the days when I want to be more subdued in scent selection. Those scents usually go well with layering too. That's when you don't have to walk into a cloud of perfume, but you work the scent into your skin in luscious layers.

Way to many. I do however only spray one spray of Tabu on when I wear that. But that is Tabu were talking about.

I'm a totally wimpy applier. I like keeping my fragrance close to me and am always paranoid that I'm violating other people's air space.

For those that I spray, 2 sprays max, one on each arm, and that's the weaker stuff. Often I'll spray once on one wrist, press it to the other, then press both to my neck and decolletage.

For the strong ones (Amoureuse, Fracas, L'Air du Desert Marocain), I dab.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

6-7, as follows: 3 to the chest, 1 to each forearm, and 1 to the back of the neck, and maybe one to my lower stomach depending on what I have planned for the evening.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 11th November 2008 at 01:15 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I'm convinced that I have skin that eats perfume so I spray a lot ! On average 6 sprays - 2 to the chest,1 on each inner elbow and 1 on each wrist. I sometimes spray the top of my wrist- perfume seems to smell different in that area. I also spray at regular intervals .

Ok - confession- I was so in love with Hypnotic Poison recently - I drained a 50 ml bottle in 1 week ! My poor husband !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th November 2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I thought I was being excessive with my recent increase to five sprays (wrists, neck, cleavage)! With a light scent, I'll spray the lower part of my leg as well.

I cannot fathom using 50 ml of fragrance in one week!
    Last edited by Perfume_Addict; 11th November 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Woah, especially of HP... *cringe*
    That's a half-sprayer for me, and even then I'm risking a headache.

I usually just use 3 sprays... on my wrists and neck. I don't like to overdo it... just have a natural light fragrance.

Faaar too many...

sprays.
    Last edited by Delia; 11th November 2008 at 09:38 PM.

1 on each of my wrists,1 on each of my arms and like about 4 or 5 on my shirt but one of those sprays is on the lower back of my shirt too.I over did it today with Jlo's glow perfume I always use the lotion too.But this morning I put on glow and the glow lotion it was about 10 a.m. and my eyes are still irritated I am smelling this so strong like I just put it on.Glow is a long lasting perfume and I knew that I don't know why I put so much on,I used about a half inch of the bottle today and when I went in Marshall's store this morning one of the cashiers accused me of spraying perfume because they said it was overwhelming but I didn't spray anything it was the perfume I had on!

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post

sprays.
    And I thought I was special... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post

sprays.
    Wow. If dt = 1 spray, there won't be enough fragrance in the entire world. That will be some sillage!

no matter how strong or how weak the fragrance, its always 2 to each side of neck and 1 on each wrist, so 4 (for normal day to day applications).

If I am going out and antiticipate people to drown out my coogne with their own, I go with more, sometimes 1 extra, sometimes I do the insides of elbows as well, even sometimes the chest/shirt!

never above 10 sprays tho

Before selecting a fragrance and deciding how much to use I consider many things: where I will be, with whom, weather, my outfit, my mood, etc.

My work often takes me into tiny rooms full of about a dozen or so people crowded together around a table for several hours. Then I select soft scents that stay close to the body. If I am wearing a pure parfum or an oil, I will probably use no more than three little dabs. If it's a light EDT or EDP, three sprays is enough. If I opt for a scented body cream, I'll probably only put it on my hands and lower arms. I always put scent of some sort on the little piece of skin between my forefinger and thumb so take a little whiff of it under my nose by propping my elbow on the table and cupping my chin with my hand.

In non-work, public situations like shopping or socializing, I use maybe twice that much, typically scent my hair too and select scents with more sillage. At home I wear whatever I feel like and fire at will ~ each shoulder, nape of the neck, collarbone, behind the knees and ankles. If I'm testing fragrances I tend to use the back of my hands, the mid forearms and inside the elbows. When those spaces are used up, it's easy to wash them off and start over.

Basenotes Institution

I know it was excessive- I have not done that again .Over enthusiasm !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

1. Between the breasts
    2. 1 each side of the throat
    3. inside elbows
    4. wrist pulse points

And sometimes a spritz over the head after the hair regimen is complete. So 6-7

Oh yes... my current scent "wardrobe" is... (female) ... Aramis, J. Peterman 1903, J. Peterman Ca d'Oro, J. Peterman Rajasthan, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa, and Caron Eau de Reglisse Licorice. The favorite? Depends on my current body chemistry, but A dP and 1903 seem to be in the running, with Caron EdR L a close second. The J Peterman scents are lovely and "nostalgic"... so they get some scent time too.

Oh gosh, maybe I'm skittish, but I usually only spray once-twice. If it's something with a bigger sillage, like Angel, Hypnotic Poison, First, Amber Nude, I spray once. I have this 'trick' of spraying a half-spray of Angel LOW on my chest so I don't have to have it right in my own face all day.

I might also do this because I love to change scent twice-three times a day and have the option of suddenly going perfume sampling in the middle of the day! So spraying lightly might make it easier for me to change up/sample. Some days I end up with a whole swamp of stuff on. I hate that, because then I'll smell an excellent dry down in the mix and can't place it!

Heheh, someone tell me that this is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    For me, it really depends on which scent I'm wearing. For the most part though, I usually spray 6+ times.

I second this. It really depends on the scent I choose to wear. My minimum spray would e 4 times and maximum is 10 sprays especially when I love the smell. : )

It totally depends on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing.
    Since I work with young children, I tend to always think twice before applying.
    A very potent juice like Bandit or Youth Dew rarely makes it to work, but if I do wear them to work, I only apply to the wrists and cleavage in two sprays.
    Lighter stuff, or if I'm off work, I usually spray to the wrists, cleavage and behind each ear, 5 or 6 sprays.

Haha! well, it seems like that way, though most treacly scents are extremely potent once released from their hazardous beacon! they were meant to be encased for a reason! so no one can experience purgatory while still on earth!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Normally I spray on my neck (or back of my ears), chest and wrists...so about 5-6 sprays.
    For stronger scents it would be about 3 sprays.

It depends on the fragrance. For something like Fracas, two sprays are enough. For a more moderate fragrance, I use four sprays. For something light like 28 la Pausa, I may even use five or six.

If it were something strong like angel and narciso for her, i find it difficult to go past 3 sprays.

Any other fragrance I'd require 6. I seem to have problems with fragrances sticking around on my skin so usually by the time I finish work at 6 all traces of perfume are gone.

The boyfriend usually uses around 5-6 as well and you can still smell a whiff of it when he finishes work.

Blog Entries

Again it depends on the fragrance itself.

With my lighter scents, anywhere between 6-8 sprays (both wrists, inner elbows, cleavage, stomach, back of neck, both sides of neck).

With the stronger, more lasting ones, between 3-4 sprays (both wrists, stomach, cleavage).

Eva Pasco

H-m-m-m, maybe it's one big encompassing spray; most times it's a squirt journey from the pulse points of my heels to behind my ears and the nape of my neck for my hair to pick up the scent. Overdosing depends on the potency of the fragrance. I wouldn't dare do this with Rapture, Paloma Picasso, or Cinnabar--if you get my drift. Sometimes I'll even spray the air and walk into the mist.

3 at the very most.

@latelittlesleeper re the drydown melange effect of multiple "layers":That is indeed normal. At least in my experience! (LOL)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 9th February 2010 at 03:22 AM.

It depends a lot on how much perfumes last one one's skin! Also, the ocasion, how strong the perfume is,the sillage,the weather etc.

So... it can vary from 1 so 20 or more. And don't get freaked by "20 or more", on some "20 or more" can smell very subtle, acording to the lasting power/sillage of the perfume and the way skin soaks it, the weather, etc.

With some perfumes, even 2 sprays can be way too much... this varies a lot!

My personal experience- maximum 10 sprays, even with the weakest.

I adore the smell of perfume and try to make it last as long as i can and keep the smell lasting as long as possible (to my nose).
    I usually spray about 6 - 10 times and then re - apply during the day several times.
    I dont often smell it on me as it wears off after a few hours, however other people seem to notice, i get compliments when i am out and also people moving away from me. My mother is the first to open windows in the car to get air when she is with me (she is a non perfume user) and at times ive been in waiting rooms where people have coughed and moved away from me

As others have already stated...it depends on the fragrance. If it's something with minimum sillage, say, a citrusy thing..maybe up to 8 spritzes, but normally 5 (2 behind each ear, 1 on the wrists)..and if it's a bomb (let' say Paloma Picasso's Mon parfum),just 3 spritzes will do. As during the week I leave early in the morning and get back home for dinner, I always reapply after lunch.
    Don't consider myself an over-applier! But I do know women (and men!!!) that overapply/drown in heavyhitters like Angel...

In concurrence with most of the others here, it all depends on the strength of the perfume in question. In my case, strong perfumes get between breasts and a spray-and-walk application (2-3 total) and medium to fairly light fragrances get applications between breasts, behind each ear, a couple in the hair, a couple on top of each forearm (on the hairs) and a couple of sprays on my clothing (8-10 sprays -- sometimes more!). Strong fragrances I really love get extra applications once I'm home for the night and won't offend anyone.

Great question. I've been wondering this myself. I usually spray 1 time. Usually on the back of the neck or the front. My perfumes last forever...I've never used up a bottle. Which isn't always a good thing. This was very informative!