Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smells Like Vegetables

I'm still in the freshman year of my perfumista training, and having a blast. I've recently become aware that some fragrances have distinct vegetable notes! Now I'm talking strictly about culinary vegetables (not herbs, edible flowers, grains, and the like). I think cucumber is the only one that I experienced in my pre-BN life, and that was mostly in bath and home fragrances.

So here's a question for all of you...

What VEGETABLES have you identified in your exploration of bona fide personal fragrances? (They don't have to be official listed notes - perceptions count too.) And what do you think of them? At the end of the discussion, I can compile a list, if you'd like.

Here are the three that I've identified, so far:

Cucumber - Frederic Malle EN PASSANT (lovely, and I'm sure there are more cucumbers out there)

Green Bean - Les Nez THE UNICORN SPELL (this one is clear as a bell - truly amazing!)

Carrot - Hermes HIRIS and Lutens IRIS SILVER MIST (now I know what motivated Bugs Bunny!)

Default Re: Smells Like Vegetables

Ah you beat me to the punch with the bean reference in The Unicorn Spell. It smells more like a lima bean to me, but that's just splitting hairs. I really like the frag, although it ends up a bit too feminine on my skin.

I also got a bit of carrot in Dior Homme. It's been so long I can't offer a good perception of the scent in general - I just know that I liked it on my skin, but didn't think I'd feel comfortable actually wearing it regularly and so passed on this one.

Celery (faint) in Grain de Plaisir - but honestly I get a stronger nutty/doughy accord there. The nutty/doughy accord is excellent. The celery is faint and fresh and quite enjoyable, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Bell Pepper: L'Artisan Piment Brûlant
    Sniff and let sniff.

pickled vegetables in Nahema Guerlain - unfortunately...

I sometimes get celery from violette notes, esp. in Verte Violette (L´` Artisan)
    Cucumber - Clinique Happy
    Cold vegetable soup - EL Private Collection

Fun thread, Haunani

I second the carrot in Iris Silver Mist...and it's bright orange and enourmous.

And I'll add another two Lutens scents off the top of my head:

Mixed vegetables (as in vegetable soup) = Santal Blanc

Celery = Chypre Rouge (although to my nose it smells like green walnuts)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Fab idea for a thread and I totally second the carrot in Silver Mist - or Hiris for that matter.

I do indeed get green bean or possibly peas in Unicorn Spell. Our mutual friend Farah gets "pickle water".

I get tomato stems in the opening of Chevrefeuille and all the way through CB I hate perfume Memory of Kindness - what is the point of that!

I get flower stems (not quite a vegetable I know) in AG Eau de Camille - sort of hedgerow greenery generally.

Oh, great topic, and I expect more things will come to me later!

Eg White Linen - dead flower water.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 11th September 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Sur la Plage

Sisley Eau de Campagne - tomato leaves

L'Artisan Fleur de Carotte - carrots
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th September 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I got celery in Juicy Couture (also in the old Magie Noire). I get cilantro in Miss Balmain.

Molinard's Iris smelled like pure carrots to me, even more than the other irises mentioned.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Argh! I soooo wish I could get a fragrance that smelled like a freshly grated, sweet orange carrot. I've peeled carrots and have experienced a scent akin to a fresh rose. I know I'm alone in this. Gotta be my nose/brain wiring.

I had, just this morning, set out my sample of Iris Silver Mist to swap because, although I could grant you "rooty" and "soily," it's not fresh carrot to my nose. It's more bitter or sour. I tried L'Artisan's Fleur de Carotte, but it wasn't much better than baby food--cooked strained carrots.

Will have to check out the cilantro/Miss Balmain connection. Have really been into cilantro this summer thanks to dear daughter's cooking.

Great thread, kiddo!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Cilantro in Miss Balmain? You get the prize for most offbeat vegetable/herb of the thread so far! And belated Birthday Greetings. I didn't scroll far enough up on the SoTD thread to see it was your birthday...which was probably only an inch!!

(= the most apologetic-looking of the pre-set Smileys)

Great thread question!
    I really like Grain de Plaisir. The nutty aspect with celery comes from the celery seed. I think it is a great rendition of it.
    I also enjoy Sisley Eau de Campagne. The tomato leaves are very natural, the scent evokes picking tomatoes.
    Creed Sélection Verte is interesting, a super-green scent with the tang of fresh peas.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I get celery in Yatagan (at least in the old bottle I have)

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Cilantro in Miss Balmain? You get the prize for most offbeat vegetable/herb of the thread so far! And belated Birthday Greetings. I didn't scroll far enough up on the SoTD thread to see it was your birthday...which was probably only an inch!!

(= the most apologetic-looking of the pre-set Smileys)
    Lol! Tks for the birthday greetings! And yes, the greenness of Miss Balmain is so intense that I could almost taste cilantro. Actually, I think it's coriander. Same thing, right?

Wow! Interesting responses. Surprised to see so many fragrances with celery. Somehow that doesn't sound yummy, but I should probably try before opining. Ditto bell pepper and cold vegetable soup. :-)

SoS, I liked The Unicorn Spell, too. Even tempted to get a bottle. I agree that it seems to be more on the feminine side. The green bean thing is genius, IMO!

Quarry, I agree that freshly grated carrots smell delicious. I really enjoy the carrots in the opening of Hiris (actually, I like every stage of it). But you've probably tried that one already and dismissed it? I'm intrigued by Sucrose's Molinard recommendation.

The boys have me very interested in trying Eau de Campagne, and the idea of cilantro (Miss Balmain) is tantalizing. Thanks for those recs!

Now I'm wondering - are there any potato or yam-smelling frags? Or how about lettuce? Watercress???

Ah, I had forgot all about the cilantro in YSL's Live Jazz.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hmm, I don't think I would rush to smell a frag featuring watercress - that has too much of a bite to it for my taste! Maybe a lollo rosso or a radicchio would be about my level!

Yes, Lilybelle, we Brits do indeed call cilantro "coriander" - the way we call eggplant aubergine, and squash courgettes. There's a few more too, I think.

I am impressed someone could actually smell celery in Yatagan, what with all the "hot, writhing bodies", to quote one reviewer, and Turkish scimitars cutting off limbs and whatever other chaos and butchery is going on with that one!

Interesting

I find EL's Private Collection intensely green and vegetably on me ... in a peculiarly good way. And, as I've said before, the middle notes have the distinct smell of cooked quinoa on my skin, though strictly speaking this a grain, and not a vegetable.

A perfume that smells like carrot cake! Now, that would be amazing Interesting thread

I get MAJOR celery in Lutens' Mandarin Mandarine. I still love it though.

Mushrooms/Truffles - Sienne L'Hiver (Eau d'Italie)
    Mint (does that count as a vegetable?) - Roma (Laura Biagiotti)
    Fennel - Baume au Doge (Eau d'Italie)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
    A perfume that smells like carrot cake! Now, that would be amazing Interesting thread
    Gap Om!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Really interesting contributions here! Here is the list of fragrances so far with reported vegetable notes - real or perceived. Though I think of cilantro/coriander as being an herb, I slipped it in just because. Feel free to add more - I can always update the list! (I'm still thinking that there must be more cucumbers and truffles out there, for example. And what about lettuce?)

CELERY
    Lutens Mandarin Mandarine
    Caron Yatagan
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Grain de Plaisir
    Lutens Chypre Rouge
    L'Artisan Verte Violette
    Juicy Couture
    Lancome Magie Noire

CARROT
    L'Artisan Fleur de Carotte
    Molinard Iris
    Dior Homme
    Hermes Hiris
    Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    Gap Om (Carrot Cake!)

CUCUMBER
    Frederic Malle En Passant
    Clinique Happy

LIMA BEAN
    Les Nez The Unicorn Spell

PEAS
    Creed Sélection Verte

BELL PEPPER
    L'Artisan Piment Brûlant

TOMATO (LEAVES/STEMS)
    Sisley Eau de Campagne
    Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille
    CB I Hate Perfume Memory of Kindness

PICKLES/PICKLE WATER
    Guerlain Nahema

GREEN BEAN

MUSHROOMS/TRUFFLES

Eau d'Italie Sienne L'Hiver
    Frederic Malle Une Rose

VEGETABLE SOUP/MIXED VEGETABLES
    Lutens Santal Blanc
    Estee Lauder Private Collection

FENNEL
    Eau d'Italie Baume au Doge

CILANTRO/CORIANDER
    Balmain Miss Balmain
    Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz

I occasionally smell a celery note in my beloved Timbuktu

That's a great list Haunani, and quite hilarious! I wonder how many of the vegetable/herb notes are intentional...

You can add Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia for its truffle note. Forgot about that one. Great list!

later: Ack! I mean Black Orchid has the truffle note - it's supposed to. Gardenia is mushroomy.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 16th September 2008 at 05:23 PM.

Sur la Plage

Rhubarb:

John Varvatos Vintage
    Le Prince Jardinier Ciel Mon Jardin
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Of course, rhubarb!
    You can add Burberry Brit Red to petruccicj's suggestions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

For dilled pickles: Chanel #18

Here's an update. Eat your vegetables!

CELERY
    Caron Yatagan
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Grain de Plaisir
    Lutens Chypre Rouge
    L'Artisan Verte Violette
    Juicy Couture
    Lancome Magie Noire
    L'Artisan Timbuktu

CARROT
    Molinard Iris
    Dior Homme
    Hermes Hiris
    Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    Gap Om (Carrot Cake!)

CUCUMBER
    Clinique Happy

LIMA BEAN

PEAS
    Creed Sélection Verte

BELL PEPPER
    L'Artisan Piment Brûlant

TOMATO (LEAVES/STEMS)
    Sisley Eau de Campagne

PICKLES/PICKLE WATER
    Guerlain Nahema
    Chanel No. 18

GREEN BEAN

MUSHROOMS/TRUFFLES

Frederic Malle Une Rose
    Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia
    Tom Ford Black Orchid

Lutens Santal Blanc

FENNEL

RHUBARB
    John Varvatos Vintage
    Burberry Brit Red
    Guerlain Homme

CILANTRO/CORIANDER
    Balmain Miss Balmain

I got cucumber seeds big time in Un Jardin Apres La Mousson.

Oh, and VM, when I went to London, I was completely confused by what "rocket" was. Until I realized it's what we Yanks (and presumably the Italians) call "radicchio."
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

L'Artisan Fragrances - Premier Figuier
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

This is such a good thread, and many thanks to Haunani for the wonderful list! I'll think if there are any others to suggest. In the meantime, I can't resist this. There is a poetry thread on the men's side, but hey, a little poetry is good anywhere! Cheers,

"... my vegetable love should grow
    vaster than empires, and more slow"
    Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress"
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I got cucumber seeds big time in Un Jardin Apres La Mousson.

Oh, and VM, when I went to London, I was completely confused by what "rocket" was. Until I realized it's what we Yanks (and presumably the Italians) call "radicchio."
    I get major spicy cucumber in Mousson!

Didn't know that about radicchio - suddenly "a rocket mission" could simply mean popping out to buy lettuce.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Mushrooms = the drydown of Carnal Flower (just my perception of course ).

Yes, keep these coming, and I'll maintain the list. Agent Provocateur, what vegetable do you perceive in Premier Figuier (you didn't say in your post!). Nukapai, perceptions definitely count. And odysseusm, only *you* could find a poem for this thread. Thanks, all!

I am enjoying this thread. I'm glad you liked the poetry snippet, Haunani.

"Shall I not have intelligence with the earth?
    Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself?
    -- Henry David Thoreau
    odysseusm

I have not seen this referred to so it may just be me, but I pick up kelp in the mapley immortelle-heavy Sables, which is part of what I really love about it. Or some other iodine-heavy sea-vegetable.

I just saw an artichoke (!) scent advertised as new on Lucky Scent. It gets good reviews -- check it out!
    Last edited by Chestnut; 9th October 2008 at 03:51 PM.

lots of cucumber in Missoni (cucumber and chocolate actually, weird but nice), and tomato leaves/stems in Hermessence Un Jardin Mediterrannee. Like a greenhouse that one.

Yay I'm not nuts! This is my first time reading this thread and the green bean note jumped right out at me from The Unicorn Spell. I'm going to throw in that I thought the specific bean was runner bean. In the pod. I didn't like it much but if this is a note you think you might enjoy, you definitely have to try this frag.

I also got something mushroomy in one of the samples I tried recently and have forgotten what it was, damnit. When I do some resniffs I'll post it here. It very well could have been a gardenia-based frag.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

What a great thread!

I get the cilantro note, green and earthy from Little Italy by Bond No.9. It always reminds me of being at an outdoor farmers market at the hottest point of the day. Yum....
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

Rhubarb: Ciel Mon Jardin - Le Prince Jardinier

Great new additions! I'll update the list after a bit. Just so I don't forget about another one, read in another thread that Thundra by Profumum has a distinct mushroom smell.

I thought that I could smell a little red pepper in the Hermes Jardin Mediteranee.

Hi ladies!

Saw this thread from the front page directory and just had to chime in.

I remember the first time I smelled Calvin Klein's Truth for Men. First thought in my mind was salad greens!

Red pepper and salad greens? Fun!!!

so neat, what a good idea for a thread

corn
    Chloé Narcisse

Songes - Annick Goutal

kale
    Green Datura - voluspa

yam
    Malabah - Penhaligon's

besides whats already been said
    Hi there, I really want Muscs Koublai Khan, Le Beige de Chanel, The Unicorn Spell, original Samsara. Will you contact me if you can send me a decant or bottle or those or anything on my wishlist? Trade, buy, whatever. I have 100% positive Ebay feedback & bottles that are not yet listed on Basenotes. =)

Ayala Moriel Grin, which actually has natural green pepper, and is very leafy, too.

I've been procrastinating on the update for this thread. Here's what we have so far, veggie lovers!

CELERY
    Caron Yatagan
    MPG Grain de Plaisir
    Lutens Chypre Rouge
    L'Artisan Verte Violette
    Juicy Couture
    Lancome Magie Noire
    L'Artisan Timbuktu
    Nina Ricci Phileas

CARROT
    Molinard Iris
    Dior Homme
    Hermes Hiris
    Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    CdG Zagorsk
    Gap Om (Carrot Cake!)

CUCUMBER
    Clinique Happy
    Hermes Jardin Apres La Mousson
    Missoni Missoni

LIMA BEAN

BEET
    CB I Hate Perfume Black March

PEA
    Creed Sélection Verte

BELL PEPPER
    L'Artisan Piment Brûlant
    CdG Zagorsk
    Ayala Moriel Grin

TOMATO (LEAF/STEM)
    Sisley Eau de Campagne
    Hermes Un Jardin en Méditerranée

PICKLE/PICKLE WATER
    Guerlain Nahema
    Chanel No. 18

YAM
    Penhaligons Malabah

GREEN BEAN
    CdG Zagorsk

HOT RED PEPPER
    Hermes Jardin Apres La Mousson
    Hermes Un Jardin en Méditerranée

OLIVE

MUSHROOM/TRUFFLE
    Frederic Malle Une Rose
    Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Profumum Thundra
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower (drydown)

Lutens Santal Blanc

FENNEL

SALAD GREENS
    Calvin Klein Truth for Men

RHUBARB
    John Varvatos Vintage
    Burberry Brit Red
    Guerlain Homme

KALE
    Voluspa Green Datura

CORN
    Chloé Narcisse
    Annick Goutal Songes

KELP
    Annick Goutal Sables

P.S. I took out the CILANTRO/CORIANDER LEAF list because that is more of an herb than a culinary vegetable. I think!

Here's that list. Maybe someone can use it to start an herb thread!

CILANTRO/CORIANDER LEAF
    Balmain Miss Balmain
    Givenchy Vetiver
    Knize Forest
    Paco Rabanne
    Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT Concentree
    Miller & Bertaux's Green Green Green and Green
    Victoria’s Secret Love Spell
    Jean Couturier Coriandre
    Kiton Men
    Bond No. 9 Little Italy
    Last edited by Haunani; 1st February 2009 at 06:25 AM.

Rhubarb - YSL Baby Doll and Live Jazz, CdG Sherbet Series Rhubarb
    Tomato leaves - Annick Goutal Folavril, Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Celery - Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver

Gucci Rush smells like carrot casserole ("porkkanalaatikko" - a traditional Finnish Christmas dish)
    Last edited by tigrushka; 1st February 2009 at 07:46 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I don't get pea from LesNez Unicorn Spell, but I think it smells uncannily like pickled jalapeño peppers. Jolie Madame has the same acrid, wet-green note. Must be how I smell violet leaf.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

It is said that Frederic Malle's "Dans tes Bras" smells like a whole field of mushrooms (although I don't think something like a mushroom field exists - but the image is rather nice ). I can't really remember; I've only given it a very brief sniff on paper so far. Must retry sometime.

I just got TPC's 7 Iris sampler.

I agree as above that Iris Silver Mist = carrot in my fridge.

Odori Iris = cumin after 15 minutes on skin.

Unfortunately that is a scrubber for me. I can tolerate low doses of notes that "smells of India" mixed in a perfume, but I absolutely hate any prominent note that makes it smell like Indian food, like Odori Iris.

Tomatoes / tomato leaves are most prominent in Davidoff's "What About Adam".

The return of Haunani's excellent vegetable thread! I think this should be a sticky someplace, or otherwise granted a more visible and permanent status. It is a great resource.
    odysseusm

To add to the collection!
    Peas. Canned Peas. Keiko Mecheri Peau de Peche.
    Pickle Relish: Jar Shadow
    Arabie: Celery and Celery Seed

Tea for Two reminds me of candied yams. (I use nutmeg and cinnamon in mine.)

Celery:
    Malle Vetiver Extraodinaire
    MPG Route du Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver (newest version)

Tomato Stem:
    Hermes Caleche Fleurs de Mediteranee

Carrots:
    Chanel No.19 parfum

Cucumber:
    Chanel Allure Sensuelle (although I am sure it is not a note, it smells like celery to me)

Hot Pepper:
    L'Artisan Piment Brulant

Mushroom:
    MPG Route du Vetiver
    Last edited by Asha; 1st February 2009 at 04:13 PM.