Code of Conduct

Default Walgreens really sells Green Irish Tweed and Original Vetiver online

Signature - Rochas Man, Bvlgari Black

Go-to - Baby Blue Jeans, The Dreamer, Rive Gauche.

Go-out - Angel Men Pure Malt, 1 Million

Retired - Polo Double Black, Armani Code, 212, Euphoria

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Walgreens really sells Green Irish Tweed and Original Vetiver online

Not sure if you were referencing this thread but here you go

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...ight=walgreens
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Walgreens really sells Green Irish Tweed and Original Vetiver online

Walgreens also is offering a 20% off code for perfume online (PERFUME) good through the 20th of November.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Thanks, just got a backup!

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll take the time to go through the entire 589-item men's fragrance list, you'll see several Creed selections as well as a surprising list of designer names, JPG, Hermes, Givenchy, DSquared, Dior, Cartier, Guerlain, Varvatos... it's quite a list for what one tends to think of as a corner drug store/variety store.

Some of the prices are better than others. Few are truly amazing. But the 20% off code mentioned above changes the equation quite a bit.

I suspect that one can order from a major retailer such as Walgreens with complete confidence.

So I mean what's the downside to ordering through them? Potentially old product? I mean this is pretty heft discount, on par with what you see on many fragrance etailers.. And many people have issues with buying creeds off of certain websites.

Post Thanks / Like

While I have no experience ordering from Walgreens, I suspect that there is no risk. Walgreens is a huge company with big buying power. I'm sure that they are dealing only through auhorized channels and, probably, directly with the manufacturers. They are savvy buyers and retailers. They are not, themselves, going to be "hoodwinked" into buying counterfeits or out-dated or factory-second stuff and they're not going to risk their own good reputation by retailing such problems. I also suspect that they move a good volume of product so nothin goes stale in their warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    While I have no experience ordering from Walgreens, I suspect that there is no risk. Walgreens is a huge company with big buying power. I'm sure that they are dealing only through auhorized channels and, probably, directly with the manufacturers. They are savvy buyers and retailers. They are not, themselves, going to be "hoodwinked" into buying counterfeits or out-dated or factory-second stuff and they're not going to risk their own good reputation by retailing such problems. I also suspect that they move a good volume of product so nothin goes stale in their warehouse.
    It just seems strange to me, right? More often than not the "you get what you pay for" rule works.. When you save a bundle on fragrances you're either taking a risk on getting inferior product, or you ARE getting inferior product.. If you go through Walgreens which is a trusted seller, and they are selling at a VERY deep discount, then where's the downside? Why would anyone ever want to buy Green Irish Tweed (or several other Creeds) from anywhere else ever again? It just seems a bit strange to me.

So you think Walgreens is really getting their stuff straight from France like say Nieman Marcus?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roper512 View Post
    It just seems strange to me, right? More often than not the "you get what you pay for" rule works.. When you save a bundle on fragrances you're either taking a risk on getting inferior product, or you ARE getting inferior product.. If you go through Walgreens which is a trusted seller, and they are selling at a VERY deep discount, then where's the downside? Why would anyone ever want to buy Green Irish Tweed (or several other Creeds) from anywhere else ever again? It just seems a bit strange to me.

So you think Walgreens is really getting their stuff straight from France like say Nieman Marcus?
    Read the link I put up above...alot of this has been discussed...Wal-Mart, etc
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Well, I just got a 4 piece Coolwater gift set for my Godfather
    $29.99 in store
    I'll probably get one for me for the summer
    Signature - Rochas Man, Bvlgari Black

Go-to - Baby Blue Jeans, The Dreamer, Rive Gauche.

Go-out - Angel Men Pure Malt, 1 Million

Retired - Polo Double Black, Armani Code, 212, Euphoria

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Walgreens also is offering a 20% off code for perfume online (PERFUME) good through the 20th of November.
    Hey thanks KBE, that discount code was enough to push me over the edge and purchase some GIT. $131.00 shipped for the 4 ounce is a competitive deal. I will update this thread when it arrives. I have great faith in Walgreen's return policy if I am unsatisfied.

Post Thanks / Like

sigh, I just wish that VIW wasn't the 75ml... it's almost the same price as the 4oz GIT.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    sigh, I just wish that VIW wasn't the 75ml... it's almost the same price as the 4oz GIT.
    http://www.parfum1.com/virgin-island...sp?itm=CREEVI4

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch31 View Post
    Hey thanks KBE, that discount code was enough to push me over the edge and purchase some GIT. $131.00 shipped for the 4 ounce is a competitive deal. I will update this thread when it arrives. I have great faith in Walgreen's return policy if I am unsatisfied.
    My Green Irish Tweed arrived in the mail today and I couldn't be happier. It is more fresh smelling than my sample with the same lovely drydown. The batch number is A3210F01. I'm not sure how to decode that though I have read elsewhere that the middle numbers on GIT indicate the year making this a 2010? In any case I am very happy with the fragrance and the price that I paid.

Since placing my order I have learned that most of the fragrances on Walgreen's website are drop shipped from Fragrancenet. That would mean their Creed offerings are most certainly grey market though it works for me. I doubt Walgreens is aware of it. Both my box and the underside of the bottle had a clear arabic sticker on them which makes me suspect these are sourced from the middle east. Interestingly enough I was at my local mall last week and they have a store called Fragrance Hut that has a sizeable offering of fragrances. I was talking to the sales associate about 1 Million and asked him how they get it and he said, "We import most of our fragrances from Dubai." Am I seeing a pattern here?

Anyway chalk up a good experience for Walgreens. In the event that I was unhappy, I would have been able to return this to any local Walgreens for a full refund without having to mail it back.
    Last edited by Fletch31; 29th November 2010 at 10:40 PM.

It goes to show you that Creed is more designer than niche these days I think. I never would have thought Walgreens would be selling Creeds.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I ordered GIT 4oz bottle from Walgreens yesterday.
    Why not.
    Next week I will order Aventus 4oz from Creed Boutique.
    Why not.

Quote Originally Posted by roper512 View Post
    So I mean what's the downside to ordering through them? Potentially old product? I mean this is pretty heft discount, on par with what you see on many fragrance etailers.. And many people have issues with buying creeds off of certain websites.
    It makes me scratch my head I am always leery of sites like those especially with creeds you do not know if it is faulty product or fake.

I noticed that within 48 hours this thread being posted on basenotes the first time OV bumped up $20 in price, then in another 48 hours it dropped back down. Basenote related flood of orders trigger some price change? Maybe.... When it dropped back down I seized on that OV deal with the discount they were offering at the time and got the 120ml OV for $103. Just showed up yesterday and it smells perfect. The only issue I might have is that the box didn't come sealed, it had no shrink wrap on it at all. Although the sprayer needed 3-4 pumps to prime up so I know the bottle was brand new.

Another thing that was weird. They dropped part of my address off the shipping info and if I didn't happen to be sitting here and heard the UPS truck go by I wouldn't have gotten the package. It was making another delivery across the street, very luckily, and I went to the driver and explained. Told him I'm waiting for a package, that the website says it should be delivered today and I just noticed that the address listed isn't complete on the info. He asked for the tracking number and my name. I gave him the number and my name and he told me they also dropped my last name off the shipping info. So make sure your shipping info is correct.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I got an extra bottle of OV before the $20 increase. Made it by two days!

GIT is available for $120 until this evening. $150 - 20% off.
    Come on, for that price, I had to order one. Fake or no fake!! Worst case scenario, I can take it back to the local store.

Post Thanks / Like

So I think we can finally say Creed is no longer a niche brand? Unless MPG, Nicolai, l'Artisan and the like are also available through Walgreens, and Costco???

Dam, OV is up to $169, I'm glad I got in on it before the holiday jack up.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    So I think we can finally say Creed is no longer a niche brand? Unless MPG, Nicolai, l'Artisan and the like are also available through Walgreens, and Costco???
    Not trying to start an argument; however does terms like niche, designer truly factor in whether the product is enjoyable or not?

Exclusivity is sometimes overrated.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com | Yep! This Is My Moving Sale Thread
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread | I need a Creed Original Vetiver cap...

Post Thanks / Like

^^
    regardless of label put on it, you should be able to enjoy it no matter what if you like the scent. of course if it becomes very main stream and many more people start wearing and you find yourself no longer unique, then of course that sucks.. majority of the people I would think do not look at walgreens as their cologne to-go store and I don't think people not familiar with Creed would ever buy this at this price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Not trying to start an argument; however does terms like niche, designer truly factor in whether the product is enjoyable or not?

Exclusivity is sometimes overrated.
    I'm using the term "niche" specifically to denote the particular fragrance market wherein Creed falls. I think niche is not an appropriate term for a company whose fragrances are available through Walgreens and Costco. Niche in this term simply refers to the distribution of the fragrances the size of the customer base.

Post Thanks / Like

Niche in this term simply refers to the distribution of the fragrances the size of the customer base.
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

Niche means that the company exclusively makes fragrances. As opposed to Ralph Lauren who makes fragrances AND clothes.

Regardless... you are insinuating that because Walgreens.com and Costco sell CREED for $140 bottle, that it's somehow less worthy than Beauty Encounter selling it for the same?

Your own prejudices are coming into play here...

I'm using the term "niche" specifically to denote the particular fragrance market wherein Creed falls. I think niche is not an appropriate term for a company whose fragrances are available through Walgreens and Costco. Niche in this term simply refers to the distribution of the fragrances the size of the customer base.
    I personally think that Creed, by definition would still be considered niche due to the fact that if you want fresh stock, you have to go to their sanctioned boutique or to stores allowed to sell it. Walgreen's and Costco obtained their product in a manner I'd consider... well, "grey market" and not directly from Creed - and from somewhere else. Walgreen's and Costco have niche products that are not available in many stores - don't ask me for an example, but I swear there's two appliance manufacturers that are semi-exclusive to Costco, only other way would be to approach the manufacturer. So... just because they're not Saks, Nieman Marcus or... whomever, does not denote if they're able to carry niche or not.

Regardless, back to my aforementioned point... does a niche, or in this case, a controlled product obtaining more mainstream appeal and availability really affect the enjoyment of said product?

That's like cars. In 1920, only the rich were able to purchase a car. Now, everybody has one. So to "feel special", niches were created to cater to people hellbent on finding a way to set themselves apart from the "filthy masses" - think supercar/sports car like the Bugatti Veyron. Yet for much less, the new Corvette Z06 is able to hit an electronically controlled 190mph - short of the Veyron's 254mph, but for a few million dollars less, I can accept 64 miles lesser and be that much richer.

I guess I don't get the fuss about it. If it smells good, enjoy it. If you can afford it, buy it. And if other people have it, find camaraderie instead of banal announcements that it's no longer niche, exclusive nor "special". Those are only labels that mean something if you decide they do.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

Walgreen's and Costco obtained their product in a manner I'd consider... well, "grey market" and not directly from Creed - and from somewhere else.
    whuut?

Post Thanks / Like

I just went to Costco's website and they only have two frags for sale. Neither Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I just went to Costco's website and they only have two frags for sale. Neither Creed.
    They had them last year or so. And the whole "grey market" portion in my earlier reply was how the orders are being fulfilled by FragranceNet or somebody and they're not official Creed resellers... and that means that they've acquired their stock "somehow"; thus my remark.

As a person that bought from Walgreen's a GIT bottle on a 30% discount a while back, compared to my purchased bottle from Nieman Marcus is that the one from Walgreen's smells fresher, lasts as long, smells as great... and I had enough money left in my pocket to later purchase other things I wanted also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gecko88 View Post
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

Niche means that the company exclusively makes fragrances. As opposed to Ralph Lauren who makes fragrances AND clothes.

Regardless... you are insinuating that because Walgreens.com and Costco sell CREED for $140 bottle, that it's somehow less worthy than Beauty Encounter selling it for the same?

Your own prejudices are coming into play here...
    Niche is a business term which denotes that a product is designed to appeal to a very small section of the larger industry. Niche companies generally have an extremely limited distribution. The niche fragrance market has nothing to do with whether a company sells only fragrances or also clothing and other items (even if it did, remember that Creed didn't start out as a fragrance company, it was a leather goods company).

The market known as Designer/Luxe fragrances are a fine-fragrance segment which are distributed to larger section of the market and are usually sold in more department stores than are niche fragrances. The majority of companies in the segment of the industry also sell things other than fragrances; however it is the distribution of the products that denote what segment of the industry they fall into.

Mass market fragrances are the next rung in the distribution ladder and are available in drug stores, grocery stores, and discount stores. There can often be bleed over between these market segments obviously.

I meant no disrespect to Creed, I just think they now fall less in the "Niche Fragrance Market" and more in the "Designer/Luxe Fragrance Market." Guerlain and Caron fall in the Designer/Luxe Market in my opinion, and it seems like this is where Creed is headed as well. It means nothing against their quality, it just means they are being distributed to a larger market segment. It was simply an observation on my part. I actually like Creed, so I have no idea what you are talking about regarding my own prejudices. I think I was very clear in the post you quoted that I was describing distribution not quality of product in what I meant by the term "niche." Just thought it was an interesting thing to ponder, didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers or anything.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th December 2010 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

xxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th December 2010 at 06:48 AM.

Where do you get the data to support the claim that major companies such as Walgreens and Costco obtain their products from the grey market? I'd be curious as to where you get this information.
    Despite being contrary to my claim, read post #24 in this thread.

My reasoning is this: FragranceNet isn't exactly a Creed reseller. How did they get the product? Directly? Indirectly? I'm willing to bet the latter.

Regardless... they have Creed products somehow. But as far as the rest of the niche/non-niche conversation goes, I'm on the other side of caring. Seems like semantics is more important than enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite being contrary to my claim, read post #24 in this thread.

My reasoning is this: FragranceNet isn't exactly a Creed reseller. How did they get the product? Directly? Indirectly? I'm willing to bet the latter.

Regardless... they have Creed products somehow. But as far as the rest of the niche/non-niche conversation goes, I'm on the other side of caring. Seems like semantics is more important than enjoyment.
    I actually deleted that post, because I didn't want to be the center of any kind of controversy here, but since you responded; IMO, there is a huge difference between a major company like Walgreens and on online seller like Fragrancenet. I doubt very highly that Walgreens and Costco are involved in purchasing inventory via the grey market, but if you if have information to the contrary, then I will stand corrected. Re the Niche term, I think people use the term a lot without understanding what it means. I didn't mean to weigh down the conversation with meaningless semantics, I thought I was contributing something of value to the discussion.

I have none. Just call it a hunch... or opinion. Same as the rest of my posts in this thread, only meant for discussion, not factual talk. If you wanted the latter, I'd have to request the same.

And in this case, so far I've seen only opinion, so I went with what I saw - opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have none. Just call it a hunch... or opinion. Same as the rest of my posts in this thread, only meant for discussion, not factual talk. If you wanted the latter, I'd have to request the same.

And in this case, so far I've seen only opinion, so I went with what I saw - opinion.
    My opinion based on my own experience is that major companies with the market capitalization of Walgreens and Costco don't obtain their inventory via the grey market.

My opinion based on experience is that most major companies with the market capitalization of Walgreens and Costco don't obtain their inventory via the grey market.
    Agree. But then again, the orders for Walgreen's are being fulfilled by FragranceNet. Any word about how they've come into possession of any Creed product?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. But then again, the orders for Walgreen's are being fulfilled by FragranceNet. Any word about how they've come into possession of any Creed product?
    Ah! There you have a very good point. I didn't realize that Walgreens wasn't warehousing the product themselves. I don't know Fragrancenet at all. In my experience, most companies do decent due diligence with affiliates, but I have absolutely no idea in this case. I do know that Costco has sold Creed in its actual stores, and therefore warehoused the product themselves, so they obviously (in my opinion) have had some sort of distribution rights. I actually just sent an email to Walgreens Customer service asking whether they are authorized by Creed to sell their product. I also sent one to Creed. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th December 2010 at 07:21 AM.

I actually just sent an email to Walgreens Customer service asking whether they are authorized by Creed to sell their product. I also sent one to Creed. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.
    The only ramification that immediately comes to mind surrounding such an action is that Walgreen's might stop selling Creed at prices that many folks find easily palatable. And thus, the beginning of my questioning starts yet again. Does the label, as well as the price, really affect the enjoyment of a product? I'm a person that restocked my GIT 120ml/4oz via Walgreen's. And honestly, I'd like the opportunity to do a couple of others if I possibly could - my Neroli Sauvage is extremely low.

I know that if I could have gotten my 2nd batch iteration of Creed Windsor for cheaper, I would have. But I have to inquire... why did you send off those e-mails? What purpose do they fulfill? Curiosity or do you want something to honestly happen?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious... I want to know the truth. You think my email will have a ramification? Like Creed is completely oblivious to the fact that a major US brand is selling their product online? And my little polite email asking whether it's authorized Creed merchandise is going to take that all away?
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th December 2010 at 08:17 AM.

Who knows. Still odd that people that have reservations about those items being on a mainstream site would also be curious as to their existence there since it only seems to condemn their exalted status of being a niche fragrance. From a very far, detached look, it seems as if it only serves an ulterior motive - one that would guarantee a discontinuance of the sale whilst overlooking the possible economical convenience of such an item being on the aforesaid website.

The curiosity seems to be... well, curious in itself. And with enough e-mails, a highly disputed item could be discontinued once the Christmas shopping season is over. Could your one e-mail stop the sale? More than likely not. Could the combined e-mails from the two threads around this oddity of offerings on the Walgreen's website make a difference? Yes. I think it could.

Post Thanks / Like

boys

Post Thanks / Like

I think the bottom line here is that I should NEVER participate in another Creed thread again...

Where in the world did I ever say I had reservations about Creed being on Walgreen's site? For the record, the only thing I was ever commenting on in this thread was that Creed's distribution seemed to be widening and thus their designation of niche might not completely accurate anymore (which I never said was a bad thing). I also sent Creed an email asking if the products being sold through these companies was authentic, rather than deal with opinion and conjecture about the subject. Not really as big of a deal as all that. If anyone is interested in whether Creed responds and what they say, you can ask me, as I'm not going to comment here anymore.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 12th December 2010 at 03:05 PM.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not to deflect from the current discussion, but I wonder what the Walgreens sales volume for Creed is?

Back before Thanksgiving when Walgreens had something like a 20% off deal, that should have been a good deal on Creeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Not to deflect from the current discussion, but I wonder what the Walgreens sales volume for Creed is?
    Hopefully enough that they start adding other scents from Creed....I would love to pick up MI around that price.

I think the bottom line here is that I should NEVER participate in another Creed thread again...
    No need for such an overreaching response. I was honestly curious about why people need to add labels like niche, exclusive and question such things once they appear at retail stores like Costco and Walgreen's and how it affected enjoyment therein.

Taking it personal means that you somehow overlooked the fact that it was a civil discussion, one where a person questioned a stance that was unfamiliar to the other participant. It was just an exchange of opinions. Nothing more, nothing less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    That's a good question. Bear in mind, it's online only. It is not in their stores. Basically, as far as I can tell, one must be a bit of a 'fume head and go actively search their website.

If they push it any way other than word of mouth in forums like this, I'm not aware of it. I am curious as to what the connection between Creed and Walgreens really is. I have no doubt that Walgreens is selling legit juice. I just wonder through what distribution channels that got their hands on it. It is a limited selection of Creeds.

Post Thanks / Like

so I have no idea what you are talking about regarding my own prejudices. .
    oh i meant prejudices towards Costco and Walgreens... not CREED. haha

not important... but i would like to know if they respond to your email and what they say..

Someone on the forum called Walgreens about their Creed offerings and they said that had partnered with fragrancenet.com for the fulfillment of many of their fragrance orders. That means it's just being drop shipped from fragrancenet. I bought GIT and La Nuit De L'homme from Walgreens during their pre-Thanksgiving sale because the price was cheaper than than it was from fragrancenet directly. Both shipped from the same Long Island address which is the same place as fragrancenet origins.

Can somebody who received their GIT from Walgreens post up a pic of the box they received it in? thank you!

See below.

looks good. you ordered on the 11th and got it already? which state are you in?

Is the bottle itself (unpictured areas) damaged at all? Smells okay too? thanks for posting the pic.

Just wondering because people on another forum ordered from there and complained about this: "
    I received the same lot as bleachboy, the fragrance is genuine, but my only concern is that I think this may actually be the EDT, as "Toilet Water PGS" is printed directly on the back of the black bottle."

And their boxes look like the OLD boxes from years past. I noticed yours has GOLD trim on the front, where as this guy's from another forum has the older white trim.

Last edited by G Man; 14th December 2010 at 09:47 PM.

The packaging is not damaged at all. It smells great (but then again, I am a new comer to the exotic fragrance arena). I am in Maryland and this is shippped from NY through UPS. It takes only a day. Ordered Saturday, shipped Monday.

Now, as a side story..I had ordered this previously and I couldn't get the spritzer to work on that bottle and so I returned it. That bottle (a week ago) had some Arabic (pretty sure) inscriptions and may have been sourced through the middle east. But not this one.

I ordered GIT from Walgreens, too. They buy it from Fragrancenet. Sender's address was Fragrancenet' address.
    My lot number: A3209X01.
    Smells great.Box in perfect shape.
    No Arabic letters on the bottle neither on the booklet.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a bottle from walgreens and it smells just like the bottle I got at Neiman Marcus. The new bottle's serial number is A3211P01

Post Thanks / Like

Wowzers! $133 for GIT. It has gotta be a fake right?

Post Thanks / Like

They are no more fake than Fragrancenet.com or any of the other online discount fragrance sites. They probably all come from the same place. None of them are authorized dealers, but that doesn't mean what they are selling isn't real. Creed obviously knows about it and allows them to do it.

Walgreens only sells a very limited number of Creeds. The last time I looked, I believe there were only 5 for men, and a couple of those were unisex. I found it rather strange that, of the ones they sell, Royal Water (of all things) would be one of them. That's probably one of the least popular Creed fragrances. You would think they would have Himalaya, SMW or MI instead.