Code of Conduct

Exclamation Frangipani suggestions?

Just the other day, I bought a cheap soap from a chinese store that had Frangipani & Jasmine...The soap smells fantastic and I love the fragrance of Frangipani...

After doing a bit of research here and on google, I found that Frangipani is a flower usually found in India...whoaaao...quite a surprise since I come from there but have never really heard about it.......perhaps I wasn't as much into fragrances as I am now

Coincidentally my gf had also bought a frangipani candle from the same store and she happened to light it this weekend...Though I didn't get to smell it, she's just nuts over the frangipani smell.....

Now the big question....which fragrances have a dominant Frangipani note?
    I've found out about Ormond Jayne Frangipani Absolute & Ava Luxe Frangipani.
    Any others that you can suggest?
    Lastly, this is definitely, definitely a fragrant note that is more suitable on women...any males out there who wear any of these? I know it's a personal thing and believe me I don't really care how feminine a fragrance is, I just wear it regardless but this one apparently is pushing me over the edge

Default Re: Frangipani suggestions?

This will be another surprise- Frangipani is widely grown in Australia.

I also really enjoy it. Rather rare here in the states. If you can get your hands on Mahora/Mayotte, you'll probably enjoy it. There are other floral notes but a very natural frangipani feel compared to the usual ubersweet ones.
    Last edited by argogos; 29th June 2009 at 04:14 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    This will be another surprise- Frangipani is widely grown in Australia.

I also really enjoy it. Rather rare here in the states. If you can get your hands on Mahora/Mayotte, you'll probably enjoy it. There are other floral notes but a very natural frangipani feel compared to the usual ubersweet ones.
    Really....I also read that there was a 'Singapore' vareity of Frangapani too...but Australian? wow...much closer to home than I thought....

Are you suggesting Guerlain Mahora?

and what is Mayotte?

Yes, Guerlain's Mahora. It was taken off the market, renamed Mayotte and became part of Les Parisiennes collection. Mahora= still affordable online/ Mayotte= pricey exclusive boutiques only.

I should mention that Mayotte is a reformulated Mahora. Not ridiculously different but a sort of extreme version with a touch better quality of ingredients.

As you say, frangipani lends itself toward a traditionally feminine frag. However, Mahora has a warm quality with that unisex marvel, Guerlinade base. I wear it. It's not exactly butch but it ain't like wearing Flowerbomb either.
    Last edited by argogos; 29th June 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Frangipani is aka Plumeria here in Hawaii.
    Czech & Speake No 88 has a very pronounced Frangipani note.
    Goutal's Songes certainly evokes a walk through a grove of Plumeria....not sure that it actually contains the notes though.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    Czech & Speake No 88 has a very pronounced Frangipani note.
    Yes, I did note that mate and I absolutely love No. 88....thanks for your suggestion of Goutal Songes...I'd have a look.

Yes, Guerlain's Mahora. It was taken off the market, renamed Mayotte and became part of Les Parisiennes collection. Mahora= still affordable online/ Mayotte= pricey exclusive boutiques only.

I should mention that Mayotte is a reformulated Mahora. Not ridiculously different but a sort of extreme version with a touch better quality of ingredients.

As you say, frangipani lends itself toward a traditionally feminine frag. However, Mahora has a warm quality with that unisex marvel, Guerlinade base. I wear it. It's not exactly butch but it ain't like wearing Flowerbomb either.
    Thanks for the info mate...
    Yeah, I did see Mahora being sold on ebay at heavily discounted prices.
    I'd read some reviews on it and if I can spot a cheaper bottle, I'd pull the plug.

about Flowerbomb....I love it and I don't feel uncomfortable in admitting that I do wear it sometimes

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 16th November 2010 at 03:50 PM.

The Ormonde Jayne Frangipani is amazing and so tart that I could easily wear it. I spritz from the excellent OJ sample pack sparingly now and then.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Frangipani is also common here in southern Nigeria, and i also vote Mahora/Mayotte.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I guess that The Garden Party Frangipane should be on your to try list

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...rangipane.html

Keep us updated on your findings.

2 thoughts:
    Mahora is often available in minis on e-bay. Might be a nice and easy way to test. Then again, it is getting pretty rare, might not want to waste time on the small version. How's that for a conundrum?

Mayotte sounds fantastic. I tried looking for it here, to no avail :/ What's it like?
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

It's like a hot, not warm, HOT summer night in the tropics. If you have ever smelled a summer night heavily perfumed by massive tropical blooms, you know what I mean. The opening is briefly sweet then quickly exotic, it smooths into a creamy blend of white flowers and tree blossoms. There is a slight spiciness like that dusty pepper quality in magnolia. The finish is slightly green/herbal but maintains the frangipani floral appeal. It's basically a great blend of frangipani, tropical florals (jasmine, tuberose, magnolia, ylang ylang types) vetiver and vanilla. I was at a Guerlain boutique last weekend and took Mahora with me to compare it to Mayotte. The similarity in unquestionable. Simply put, Mayotte is everything that was good about Mahora amped up a notch.

Comptoir Sud Pacific's Aloha Tiare has a heavy dose of frangipani.

I always thought frangipani was something from Queensland.
    Renato

It's like a hot, not warm, HOT summer night in the tropics. If you have ever smelled a summer night heavily perfumed by massive tropical blooms, you know what I mean. The opening is briefly sweet then quickly exotic, it smooths into a creamy blend of white flowers and tree blossoms. There is a slight spiciness like that dusty pepper quality in magnolia. The finish is slightly green/herbal but maintains the frangipani floral appeal. It's basically a great blend of frangipani, tropical florals (jasmine, tuberose, magnolia, ylang ylang types) vetiver and vanilla. I was at a Guerlain boutique last weekend and took Mahora with me to compare it to Mayotte. The similarity in unquestionable. Simply put, Mayotte is everything that was good about Mahora amped up a notch.
    Sounds like something I'd enjoy; but probably too floral. Still, its in my "to try" list.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Blog Entries

I just tried The Party - Frangipani, and it is a decent soliflore. Ormonde Jayne is better, IMO (cheaper, too). I don't know about Songes, I can't wear that one, it is high-pitched & powdery, TMN, but I'm not a frang. fan, so you may like it more than I.
    Last edited by kumquat; 29th June 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Coral Flower L de Lempicka has a wonderful frangipani/vanilla note. This is a real treat with its floral gourmand sillage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Le'a by Saffron James is a wonderful frangipani fragrance, probably my favorite. Then would come Ormonde Jaynes Frangipani Absolute and Pink Frangipani by Lucy B. Chantecaille makes one called Frangipane and Ava Luxe has one called Frangipani. The Garden Party Frangipane is good also. There is also Vanille Frangipanier by Laurence Dumont. Beige by Chanel has frangipani in it and smells wonderful, so do Songes and Mahora. Bellini by Calypso Christianne Celle has it too.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

I agree with Kiliwia's recommendation of Le'a, by Saffron James. It's very realistic and beautifully done.

Chanel Beige has a definite frangipani note. It's just gorgeous!

Last, I recently tried Jo Malone Vanilla Anise, which has a distinct and not-too-sweet frangipani note. Great fragrance!

Aloha Tiare is a great suggestion, Renato!

Basenotes Institution

I adore Ormonde Jayne's Frangipain Absolute - it really is a very good frangipani !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Coral Flower L de Lempicka has a wonderful frangipani/vanilla note. This is a real treat with its floral gourmand sillage.
    Plus one
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Really....I also read that there was a 'Singapore' vareity of Frangapani too...but Australian? wow...much closer to home than I thought....

Are you suggesting Guerlain Mahora?

and what is Mayotte?
    i work in Singapore and have probably seen a few frangipani trees around.. though i remember it more from my childhood in the philippines where there were lots of it around our school campus.. and it was known by a local name.. i didnt know it was 'frangipani' until i read about perfumes, came across the ormonde jayne writeups and got curious to lookup what this frangipani flower was.. anyways, i havent tried perfume versions of this flower but based on what i've read so far, the OJ one is one of the best..
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson