Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances last far longer on "dirty" skin than freshly cleaned skin?

So I know I've read varying things about what causes a frag to last longer on someones skin but was wondering if anyone noticed this. Sometimes on the weekend I'll go a day without showering (Lazy me!) and I notice when I put a fragrance on my wrist a day after showering the smell stays much longer than when I put it on my freshly cleaned skin.

Is this because there's a layer of oil/whatever on my skin not allowing the fragrance to be absorbed? Is it akin to using unscented lotion before putting on a fragrance?

Default Re: Fragrances last far longer on "dirty" skin than freshly cleaned skin?

You got it in a nutshell. Dry freshly washed skin will drink fragrance. But it will also dry the skin out further as it evaporates.

I use an odorless moituriser after I shave and once that's been absorbed, then apply fragrance, I find it lasts much longer that way.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

fountain

Default Re: Fragrances last far longer on "dirty" skin than freshly cleaned skin?

i don't think there's a set rule here. my skin is very dry and i hate using moisturisers. polo, giorgio, new york, or grey flannel last on me for ages and project like mad. some frags like b*men just won't hold on, period.

Post Thanks / Like

I never noticed that, cause I only apply fragrance on freshly cleaned skin- so I have no terms of comparison

Quote Originally Posted by roper512 View Post
    Is this because there's a layer of oil/whatever on my skin not allowing the fragrance to be absorbed? Is it akin to using unscented lotion before putting on a fragrance?
    yes.. theoretically
    like 'fountain' here though, i dont really put moisturizer on my body.. anyway for me, spraying perfume is the last thing i do before i go as i assume it give my body time to settle down and produce at least some 'oil'.. and i spray on my shirt as it is the only way fragrance lasts longer on me.. my skin tends to disintegrate perfumes quickly.. im probably too dry :P
    p.s. cmk20 is now known as lilyboy

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson