Code of Conduct

Question John Galliano edp

Does any of you guys wear this one? Opinions are highly appreciated!!!

Default Re: John Galliano edp

In light of the recent events, I wonder if this will be discontinued. It'll be hard to disassociate the person from the frag when his name is on the bottle
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I just bought John Galliano EDP last week, and I'm wearing it today for the first time.

It begins with some aldehydes and green, sappy notes. As it evolves into the middle stage it becomes primarily a mixed floral scent where violet is most noticeable. It is slightly powdery due to the iris but it is not sweet. I think there is some lavender in there that balances the other florals. It is light and nearly transparent but not weak. The texture is almost alive, yet soft, and very enjoyable. The incense is already there. It gradually dries down to a soft, woody base with notes of patchouli, amber, and incense.

It isn't a bright fragrance, and many commentators have used the words dark or gothic to describe it. There are those who consider it to be very feminine, and I can see that point of view. The lack of bright florals and sweetness, the spicy, earthy incense, and the subtle but complex drydown make it very wearable for me. I would think that most men with a love or at least a tolerance for florals may enjoy wearing John Galliano EDP.

I bought this one too already some time ago and coincidentally it's my SOTD today It's very wearable and reminds me of Guerlain Insolence, but less fruity, drier and woodier with added incense. I certainly hope they won't discontinue the production!

Hillaire

I'd recommend this to any man in heartbeat! I love this, and it's my favorite Nagel creation! It has the leaning-toward-the- 'masculine', powdery patchouli base of her Narciso Rodriguez, with a very exciting, LASTING balsamic, 'dark', sour accord, which is so darn good, it keeps me sniffing and sniffing!

It's not sugary like Miss Dior Cherie, but seems to borrow from that paradigm, which is: tart, sweet, and salty modern bit over a warm, classical, Givenchy Gentleman style of patchouli fougere.

I heard that Dior falls under the control of LVMH, and John Galliano's line of clothing and scents come under this in a minor way.

Interesting to see how this will go.

When Alexander McQueen sadly left us last year, fragrance retailers hiked the price of Kingdom (50 ml) to almost $300 USD per bottle.

EDIT: As an aside, Natalie Portman, the new face of Miss Dior Cherie (posing coyly topless), is Jewish and publicly stated her disassociation from the house of Dior because of Mr. Galliano's conduct.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The Scented Salamander says John Galliano is very wearable for men, a men's violet, a 19th century men's floral:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...parfum_pe.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I am happy to find here other fans like me of this fragrance of quality. Le Parfum # 1 by John Galliano was built with every attention, beautiful bottle, it seems an Arman, : Grin: ART. Gorgeous juice in the bottle (EDP), which is the eighth wonder of the world! I swear to you, I admired John Galliano especially for the 300 tests that had taken care for this fragrance. Then it happened that thing: I think it was a trap to get it out of Dior. However, today, We, as privileged, still have a few pieces of this beautiful scent around, the prices are going up because it is discontinued and its history is becoming a tum-tum novel. I've bought my nice EDP 3,0 oz on ebay in Israel, two pieces, one spare. I'm a guy and I wear it very willingly, my girlfriend steals it from me (she say this perfume is better than Cardinal by Heeley). Absolute of bulgarian rose, and absolute of orris root, angelica and a smoky beautiful incense. Patchouli and a touch of dust and a cozy wood, amber on the bottom. I give to this masterpiece 10/10. Definitely unisex.
    Last edited by AZ3; 20th January 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Personally only have known people who have used this as a room spray.

: Smiley_down:: Evil:
    If the more expensive materials, the best noses and a masterful fashion designer as a John Galliano have to be insulted by someone like you, there are two things: either you are stupid or you are a jew who still wants to punish him for a dirty word that Galliano said when he was drunk. I think you need to remove your comment, you're talking about a Masterpiece, a perfume whose price was $ 100 for 3.0 oz, which could be five times more easily.
    You prefer the garbage instead of the absolute of rose, or you're just an ignorant troll.
    Last edited by AZ3; 21st January 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: perfection

Is it "powdery"? I'm not a fan of powdery frags... it makes it hard to breath, for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AZ3 View Post
    : Smiley_down:: Evil:
    If the more expensive materials, the best noses and a masterful fashion designer as a John Galliano have to be insulted by someone like you, there are two things: either you are stupid or you are a jew who still wants to punish him for a dirty word that Galliano said when he was drunk. I think you need to remove your comment, you're talking about a Masterpiece, a perfume whose price was $ 100 for 3.0 oz, which could be five times more easily.
    You prefer the garbage instead of the absolute of rose, or you're just an ignorant troll.

*nicki minaj blink*

Lol @ John Galliano using a spoof account on Basenotes.

Is this real life?

"I love Hitler" - John Galliano.

I'll pass.

dp...
    Last edited by QWERTYOP; 21st January 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    "I love Hitler" - John Galliano.

I'll pass.

If there is love to talk about perfume, you should know what you're talking about, but if you are bullies, and if all that you want to do here is gossip, you are disqualifying Basenotes: you and not Me! I am a perfumer, I know the material and know what I say also because I study every detail of what interests me, and I participate to provide information, but here seems to be tolerated too much bullying and bullshit: jokes unworthy and stupid remarks, discredit you, dear detractors.
    Last edited by AZ3; 21st January 2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: correct

Overcome By Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I like the Diptyque "Essence of John Galliano" room spray which has been worn by the daring. The candles are still available here and there.

I believe this thread is referencing a different fragrance.

There is a John Galliano edp which is a perfume which some say is unisex but floral - Haven't tried it.

There is also Essence of John Galliano, sold by Dyptique, as a room spray and many wear it as a cologne. I wear this as a fragrance because it is very potent and much stronger than many mens masculines. I also use it as a room spray too. Essence of John Galliano falls into the Or Black, Black Tourmaline, Knize Ten kind of mens masculine fragrance. It is reasonably priced due to its classification as a room spray. It has a nice leather and tar smoke note odor. I like it and recommend it. In addition to being a great masculine skin scent it also produces instant ambience for a room of: burning peat in the fireplace, old leather pub chairs, a round of freshly poured Lagavulin malt whiskey from Islay Islands. No kidding, I think Lagavulin might be an ingredient in this stuff.

The Thread (John Galliano EDP) is on this fragrance: Le Parfum N░1 by John Galliano.

: Grin: This is not a room spray...

: Shocked: It already costs $ 335 in some auctions for the most beautiful bottles!
    Last edited by AZ3; 21st January 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: for a better version

Quote Originally Posted by AZ3 View Post
    If there is love to talk about perfume, you should know what you're talking about, but if you are bullies, and if all that you want to do here is gossip, you are disqualifying Basenotes: you and not Me! I am a perfumer, I know the material and know what I say also because I study every detail of what interests me, and I participate to provide information, but here seems to be tolerated too much bullying and bullshit: jokes unworthy and stupid remarks, discredit you, dear detractors.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. He DID say this. And a lot more. Would you like to see the video?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think you're speaking of the Dyptique air freshener under Galliano's name that was a firewood/smoke and incense-based fragrance. It's a completely different item. Incidentally, many wore this as a personal fragrance instead. It has been discontinued for some time.
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 21st January 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Not a bad scent and very much unisex.

From Scented Salamander: "could be worn by a man in the spirit of a 19th century men's floral scent thanks to its tobacco and hay nuances; perfect for a modern dandy."

Too bad about the designer.

This is a floral musk scent (aldehydes, violet, iris, rose, musks, woods.) Gaudy bottle but I like it. A bit unwieldy in the hand.

Good article here on Scented Salamander:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...parfum_pe.html