Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moisturiser buying advice

I'm in the market for a good moisturiser with SPF (UVA & UVB) which I can wear all year round.

I'm 27 - my face skin is normal but sometimes can get really dry.

I use Invisible Zinc SPF 30 sunscreen which is good but I wouldn't really wear it as a moisturiser.

My daily routine involves a cleanser+gentle scrub (Trilogy), a scrub 2x week (Dr LeWinn's). When I shave I will use a balm, it's made by a small Italian company (aquathermal) (sp?). Will probably have to replace it with something else as I can't find it outside Italy.

Speaking of balm, can moisturiser replace balm?

Any recommendations?

Dr LeWinn's for men moisturiser any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moisturiser buying advice

@Smoth,

I'm pretty confident you can get Natio products in New Zealand - in which case let me recommend the Natio for Men SPF30+ Face Moisturiser:
    http://www.natio.com.au/natio-for-me...isturiser.html

Can I make a few routine suggestions?

1) quit the scrubbing - I don't care how gentle it is. If you need to exfoliate the skin, use a chemical exfoliant incorporating a beta hydroxy acid http://www.paulaschoice.com.au/Skin-...xfoliants.aspx

2) whichever cleanser you use, consider using a facial brush too; or a proper facial wash cloth. My day-to-day cleanser is Natio for Men; although I have used Clarins for Men, and Clinique for Men.

3) yes, your moisturiser can replace the balm

4) You need a skin care routine for morning and night. You probably don't need to moisturise in the morning - just the night will be enough - or if you use the Natio I've recommended above.
    Morning: Cleanse, Shave, Treatment, Sunscreen.
    Night: Cleanse, Treatment, Moisturiser.

5) Dr LeWinn's is good - I'm also fond of Clinique for Men.

http://www.clinique.com.au/cms/produ...rcat/mens.tmpl

PS: Hope Christchurch / Canterbury are well on the way to repair. Awful news from Greymouth. From across the ditch - our best to NZ.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 27th November 2010 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    @Smoth,

I'm pretty confident you can get Natio products in New Zealand - in which case let me recommend the Natio for Men SPF30+ Face Moisturiser:
    http://www.natio.com.au/natio-for-me...isturiser.html
    Yup, most products sold in Australia are also sold here, including Natio. Since you replied I've purchased the Natio SPF30+ Face Moisturiser and I also picked up a discounted bottle of Dr Lewinn's Day Moisturiser SPF 15. Will try them out and see how I go.

My day-to-day cleanser is Natio for Men; although I have used Clarins for Men, and Clinique for Men.
    I've also used the Natio cleanser. Which of the 3 do you prefer?

Morning: Cleanse, Shave, Treatment, Sunscreen.
    Night: Cleanse, Treatment, Moisturiser.
    Great! Will make it my routine.

PS: Hope Christchurch / Canterbury are well on the way to repair. Awful news from Greymouth. From across the ditch - our best to NZ.
    Yeah we've certainly have had a bad couple of months. We really appreciate the support!

Post Thanks / Like

2) whichever cleanser you use, consider using a facial brush too; or a proper facial wash cloth. My day-to-day cleanser is Natio for Men; although I have used Clarins for Men, and Clinique for Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoth_007 View Post
    I've also used the Natio cleanser. Which of the 3 do you prefer?

At the price, I will take the Natio every time - I'm very happy with it. The other two are superior products - in the sense that you need less of them - however I found the Clarins actually dried out my skin a little - so you probably don't want that.

The Clinique is very good, but given $24 versus Natio's $10, I think I prefer the Natio - and it leaves my skin a bit softer and cleaner I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd highly recommend Clinique Superdefense with SPF25.
    Does an incredible job of moisturising and is absorbed very quickly, so no tackiness.
    I actually use this as a post-shave balm.
    Somewhat pricey, but a little goes a long way.
    When my little 15ml tester pot is finished, I'll be replacing it for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Gandhajala,

You do know that's the women's product, don't you? The downside is that you're paying women's prices! Try some of the men's products and give your wallet a chance.

Also, here in the antipodes, it's SPF30+ all the way. So, the SuperDefence might be a great product at night for us, but we'd still need to wear an additional sunscreen in daylight.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 18th December 2010 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Gandhajala,

You do know that's the women's product, don't you?.
    Yes. But, you know... as long as it doesn't contain oestrogen, I don't suppose it will cause me to grow breasts. I admit it is a little pricey, but for my skin, it is the best I've come across.
    Fair point about the SPF 30 though. I lived in Brisbane for 15 years and know the deal with the Aussie sun. I have very olive skin, and found a factor 25 sufficed for day-to-day use. Obviously, if I were going to the beach or planning to spend several hours outdoors, I'd slop on something stronger.
    Ps. Just seen the ashes score for the third test. I suppose a 'congratulations' is in order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I admit it is a little pricey, but for my skin, it is the best I've come across.
    Hey - that's the only thing that matters. I'm quite interchangeable about male and female skin care - it's a bit like the hairdressing salon - I pay a whole lot less for essentially the same service.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Ps. Just seen the ashes score for the third test. I suppose a 'congratulations' is in order

Thanks. We had 20 fantastic years, and our run is well and truly at an end. I was 'incommunicado' for most of Friday's play, and couldn't believe the score when I got to a radio.

I suspect Melbourne will be a very different proposition to Perth, and I expect the Ashes to be staying with England.