Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: How would you describe your personal style?

Invariably skinny, extremely fitted clothes. Either understated solids (less is more!) with a curve ball thrown in (usually a chic, brightly colored or patterned scarf), or I go all the way with vibrant colors and patterns (an eyefuck, but I've been told it brightens days). Not as avant garde as some (I'm thinking Demeulemeester), though if I had that kind of money to blow, I would...

Classic executive look.

Like a thug.

Classic and somewhat retro. I feel a lot more comfortable in fitted dresses than in jeans. I wear a lot of black and dark colors.
    When I work, it's usually black leggings, boots and something oversize on top.
    If I am in the outdoors, I invariably wear sunglasses and a hat.

Jeans only
    Sport shoes only
    Nothing with big logos like RL

In general very sport, like Steve Jobs look.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probably one part americana (workwear), one part trad/prep, and one part military. Where I'm moving towards is more like a Lindberg/MMM look.
    I generally wear solid colors, everything has to fit 'cleanly', and i do a lot of layers.

my standard daily casual wear is chucks, nudie slim jim's, a polo t-shirt and a cardigan or sweater. + scarf and peacoat.
    Tom Ford Splits:Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute, Tobacco Vanille ONE LEFT: Italian Cypress, Patchouli Absolu, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Thumbs up Re: How would you describe your personal style?

Very British style ( love Hackett, Turnbull & Asser, Hilditch & Key), Italian shoes ( Ferragamo, Bally, Magli ) , a Spanish brand, Lotusse, for more casual shoes, but also lots of jeans and some clothes "avan-garde, depending on my mood
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I like colorful shirts, whether dress or casual. Generally, I stay away from plaids. Comfort means a great deal to me.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Lately I feel like I'd be happy with a kind of a Cayce Pollard wardrobe, just the same thing over and over. I found a button-up shirt on Old Navy that came in the magical small-tall size with long enough sleeves and the waist landing in the right place and the buttons perfectly placed, and bought one in every color they had. I wear these with (usually black) pants from Express or Gap to work, and very good shoes (but that is because I'm 9.5 narrow so it's either good shoes or old lady shoes), high heel pumps most days, feel like that's my 'style' for work. I do have one dress, it's sort of like the outfits, gray with button top empire waist. Plain but very flattering.

Jeans usually when not at work, solid color t-shirt, I've not been as lucky with casual shoes, but usually wear one pair of sneakers for a long time (since I don't bust out of them with the narrow feet, they last till there are holes in the bottoms).

When feeling showoff-y I wear sleeveless black top with jeans as I have tattoos.

In general I try to limit the size of the clothing wardrobe, and simplify it, and try to have great hair, good skin and makeup, stay thin and healthy, those things matter more to me appearance-wise. I don't care much about clothes but try to keep them looking good enough that it's not totally obvious that I don't care about clothes

My shoes probably cost more than everything else put together, actually.

Adding: For dress-up events, I generally find a very simple but good fitting dress for very little $ (they have ranged from $15 to $30 over the last 10 years) but buy the shoes I want. It irks me to spend money on dresses when I hardly ever wear them, and better ones just don't seem to look enough better on me to justify it. Work clothes have to hold up to a lot more use and washing so I do spend more on those.
    Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 31st January 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Hillaire

How did I miss this awesome thread! I absolutely love reading about all of your styles! And it's so interesting to see how many other 'over-dressers' there are, who are also perfume-lovers!

In my casual personal arena, I tend toward the Berlin post-punk existentialist, all-in-black, slim fit look. (My mother tells me I have cultivated the 'Lacanian look' of Paris.) But for work, I dress more soberly -- in slim skirts and hose and heels -- not to appear too Bohemian or outre to my clients, many of whom are of the straight-up, conservative parvenu class. Always in black, though, with occasional bits of grey and white. I love scarves and turtlenecks, and have a dozens of black scarves in wonderful textures. Other than that and the occasional string of pearls, I avoid adornment.

I find I am more 'dressed' than my friends at most social events; mostly since I love make-up and heels: "Oh my! You look so nice!" I often hear as a euphemism for 'Everyone else is in jeans!'. I am delighted to say my boyfriend is another dress-up guy, though in the English academic, old-school way. It's oh-so-nice to go out with him and look nice and smell good together.

fountain

extremely plain

Un profumo affettuoso

I hardly ever wear jeans or pants ... - I adore skirts, dresses, long, floating coats ... - boho-style, vivid, bold colours, silk scarfs, shawls etc. of all kinds, grafic patterns, flowery patterns ... I never wear business-style or preppy clothes...I want my clothes to be inimitable, personal, ecclectic and laid-back - many of the things I wear are self-designed and self-made (by myself or creative friends of mine). It's a mix and match of vintage, designer, self-made etc. - but not a girly-style at all.
    Probably as idiosyncratic as my choice of fragrances ... - but a lot of fun.

Wide range for me. I went to a small, Catholic school growing up, well-stocked with arrogant a-holes who had no business being in a religious school. Mean remarks about my clothes - really, just ordinary kids stuff - made me grow up to be Mr. Has Clothes For Every Occasion. So it's Brooks Brothers for dressy business, stylish jeans and sportcoats for regular business days, and after hours I'm mostly in jeans and flannel shirts, shorts and t-shirts in the summer. Mrscologneguy and I are both shoes-addicted, and proud of it. And don't get me started about always wanting to smell nice.

I'm more about correct, nice quality clothes than show-offy looks. But now and then I pull out all the stops. Last night I went to a black tie event. Yes, I own a nice tux. Within about 20 minutes I splashed red wine on my nice tux shirt. So there - well-dressed, and still highly capable of looking like an idiot.

I couldn't agree more: flip flops are not streetwear. Certainly not office wear. Crocs - ick, so hideous. Glad that fad seems to be going away.

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

I couldn't agree more: flip flops are not streetwear. Certainly not office wear. Crocs - ick, so hideous. Glad that fad seems to be going away.
    Yeah... crocs...absolutely hideous. Weren't they designed for work in the garden and pottering in the shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    Yeah... crocs...absolutely hideous. Weren't they designed for work in the garden and pottering in the shed?
    I've read that Crocs are popular with surgeons, because they can be easily hosed off when things get messy. Eeeek!! Fashion rule: avoid shoes that need to be hosed off, not polished.

I tend to wear comfortable clothes when im not out like hoodies/laid back clothes. But when i go out i try to pull off a sophisticated look,i'll wear my Perry Elise Pea Coat with a flat hat and a turtle neck shirt and put on whichever cologne i think suites my expectations.

When I am at home I like wearing just my underwear briefs. When I go out I put on shoes. sometimes a watch.

I like to mix it up...dress down with a nice pair of jeans and a t-shirt...I also like wearing nicer shoes/watches,etc...when I go to dinner. I don't go to bars/clubs, so I only dress nicely for church or a nice night out with my wife or friends..
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Blog Entries

Best way to describe my personal style? Liam Gallagher.

SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

This coat looks nice would anybody recommend it to me thax men or woman http://www.amazon.com/BGSD-Mens-Hood...=2D9DZ0E9NUMG7

Basenotes Member

Boring. I'm an engineer for a good size company, so dress pants/shirt is the standard fare. Never very expensive, as im always cutting/grinding/breaking/greasing something, and I don't make enough to just throw 300 dollar shirts away on a whim. Short hair, neatly combed. I shave daily. I buy quality jewelry, but never flashy. I find ways to mix it up or add a splash of color just to separate myself from the rest, but yeah, boring. Outside of work isn't much better....jeans and a polo do me just fine! I'm done chasing skirt (so my wife tells me...), so being presentable but comfortable is about all I shoot for.

I am wierd cross of a rock star from the 70s, a businessman and a creative director...if that make sense....No particular style...
    Informal (95% of the time) jeand or courderoy, t-shirts and informal shirts, velvet or courderoy jackets
    Formal (5%) classic dark suit with tiny stripes, striped light shirt and usually put fun with tie and cufflinks.
    Lately i am very fond of "classic patterned" things like pied-de-poule or Prince of Wales....
    Some pics to exemplify....ME in very different situations...including my wedding!

n524895636_3872752_627.jpgcamara lau 1055.jpgcamara lau 682.jpg100_3295.jpgPablo1_2.JPGChandon Martes (134).JPGcamara lau 644.jpg_MG_0220.jpglaangelina_chandon_231008_0006.jpg
    SOLOMON saith: There is no new thing upon the earth. So that as Plato had an imagination, That all knowledge was but remembrance; so Solomon giveth his sentence, That all novelty is but oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I am wierd cross of a rock star from the 70s, a businessman and a creative director...if that make sense....No particular style...
    Informal (95% of the time) jeand or courderoy, t-shirts and informal shirts, velvet or courderoy jackets
    Formal (5%) classic dark suit with tiny stripes, striped light shirt and usually put fun with tie and cufflinks.
    Lately i am very fond of "classic patterned" things like pied-de-poule or Prince of Wales....
    Some pics to exemplify....ME in very different situations...including my wedding!
    What a gorgeous family!

Thankyou!!!! indeed...my wife and doughter are the best of the best!!!!! i feel blessed.
    cheers

Pablo
    SOLOMON saith: There is no new thing upon the earth. So that as Plato had an imagination, That all knowledge was but remembrance; so Solomon giveth his sentence, That all novelty is but oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    It seems that you hide a dandy heart inside you, Pablo!!

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    My personal style is quite minimalist in dress and hair.I'm a fan of ' less is more'
    same here

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

casually goth (for lack of a better word), tastefully done (at least that's what I think). casual but not like a ratty old t-shirt and jeans is casual. Casual like friday at an office job is casual compared to the other days. Without the tie and unbuttoned a little bit maybe (this isn't literally how i dress, I mean as an analogy). You wouldn't think I was goth if you saw me outside of the clubs or bars, but without changing anything, I could walk into a club and you would find that I magically transition perfectly. I don't play to the conventions but you could probably see my goth side despite that.

I don't just wear black either. I dress nothing like it but I've often used the color diversity you can find in the pre-raphaelites as inspiration to challenge the fashion expectations of that subculture. I aim for a casual and versatile style that is appropriate for my home, my broad range of friends, the duties of life and my interests, killing all kinds of birds with one stone. I use shades of red, white, blue, dark purple, gray and black. No other colors (no pastels, no earth tones, etc. it all looks bad on me). I like the white and red color combination most of all. I also like predominant blue with complimentary white and red.
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 10th March 2012 at 07:44 AM.

I dress combi style. A few days a week suit and shirt and tie, a few days a week sporty casual style, and then some days in between this

I prefer Eton & Stenström shirts, Armani & Boss suits (or taylor made) and coats, polo shirts from Ralph Lauren, Lacoste & Prada, pants/jeans from Armani, Boss & Acne, shoes/boots from Lloyd, Brooks Bros & Timberland, turtlenecks and roll neck from John Smedley & Ralph Lauren and underwear from Björn Borg & Emporio Armani.

Fitness & tennis cloths are Nike from top to bottom

My style is safe, elegant and a bit boring when I dress in suit, but colorful and trendy when i dress down - sort of like a Chanel Allure Homme frag one day and an YSL frag the otherbday; but I still dress better than 98% of the male Danish population !
    The 2% that dress better are either designers, Dandy's or gays - or all 3 things in one
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 10th March 2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Slightly off-topic reply to our thread starter Pimpinett, though this post mine would have been equally appropriate (or even more so) on the "Let's talk watches thread", I would take the liberty to post some watch pics which may be in tune with your style, since I have noticed you like Art Deco inspired watches.

Enjoy!