Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010 ★★★ GOURMAND

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010
    Green July 2008, July 2009, July 2010
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Last edited by Quarry; 28th November 2010 at 09:48 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010 ★★★ GOURMAND

oops
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Dec. 4, 2010 ★★★ GOURMAND

Maybe that would be a time to try Angel. I've been scared of doing that, honestly, but I seem to like gourmands lately anyway

I'm loving gourmands, too. I'm not sure what I'll wear, something yummy.

Basenotes Plus

Yay, I'll be there!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Have I decided, have I decided?
    I have a sample of Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens that I haven't tried on. What a perfect thing would it be to wear on Saturday! Wait, will I be able to wait until Saturday???

I'm the early bird! Wearing Pink Shugggggah!
    I didn't like this when it first came out. I got more of an annoying impression of burnt sugar at that time. But now I don't, or else it doesn't annoy me anymore. I've done a complete 180 - I LOVE Pink Sugar now. This is from a sample sent by a very sweet Basenoter.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain. Notes include vanilla from
    Madagascar and Mayonette that have been infused for 4 years according
    to Now Smell This. Other notes are lemon, bergamot, rose, jasmine, iris,
    incense, opoponax and tonka bean. The first time I tried it I thought it
    was nice but didn't really think it was special in any way. Today I've
    changed my mind, I can definitely smell more vanilla, which is really
    nice. Very gourmand and smooth. Problem with this one is availability,
    only place I've seen it for sale is Amazon, might have to settle for an
    extra large decant. You'ld think with Christmas coming up it would be
    in stores everywhere.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme for me. It's a cold day here - perfect match for L'Instant's warm cocoa notes.

Sur la Plage

Ava Luxe Cafe Noir for me!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Cocooning at home today after a late night, wearing Gorilla Perfumes' Vanillary; sweet & comforting notes of burnt sugar, tonka & jasmine, yum! SOTE will be a toss-up between Anne Pliska & Ambre Narguile. Happy weekend everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Youth Dew Amber Nude is my choice for Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday (Gourmand.)

The nose is Christophe Laudamiel and Tom Ford had a hand in it too of course!
    The bottle is totally gorgeous and I only wish my waist was as tiny as the one enclosed by
    that dinky, grosgrain ribbon.

I never liked the original Youth Dew, so this modern version is a pleasant surprise. I do get a
    weird coca-cola note to begin with (it could be a combination of grapefruit, tea and
    ginger) but then the dark rose mixes with the earthy patchouli and the gingery,
    powdery chocolate to give a sexy,lingering, gourmandy, oriental base.
    This is one hell of a Christmas party scent.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

I'm wearing Angel today. Ah, Angel and me. It's an old story, so my apologies if you've heard it before. When it first launched you couldn't throw an Angel star around here and not hit someone wearing it. It was insanely popular with women of all ages, teens, young moms, middle-aged matrons, dowagers. Even my internist wore it. I tried it as soon as it came out and was put off by its too-muchness. All that sweetness, sillage, staying power. All those notes. I just didn't get it despite many tries and my love for most things oriental and gourmand. I consoled myself with the thought that we all can't like and wear everything and moved on.

Fast forward to about four years ago. I discovered the body creme and it was delicious. I was delighted by how highly wearable a form of Angel it was for me. Angel with training wheels. Emboldened by my success, I decided to give the edp another try. I went to Sephora, spritzed some on, and BAM! The notes unfolded on my skin one by one: honey, chocolate, caramel, patchouli, each delightfully present and accounted for. It was like cracking the code for the Rosetta stone. And that drydown! One of the most spectacular in all perfumery IMO. I bought a bottle on the spot and Angel has become one of my top favorites, one I never want to be without.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Yes! one of my favorite categories. I am wearing Ambre Russe today.

And Kilwia: you can get Ode de la Vanille at the Guerlain boutique at Bergdorf's. That is where I bought mine. Give them a call.

Hi all, first time participating I'm wearing Hypnotic poison which to me smells of root beer and vanilla and almonds so delish.
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Tdem1961...I just LOVE your story, and the way you write! Thanks for sharing that!!

I am now inspired to don my angel as well!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I'm wearing Angel today ... bought a bottle on the spot and Angel has become one of my top favorites, one I never want to be without.

I'm back from annual checkup, for which I had to fast, so now I'm drinking and smelling of coffee -- Black Vetyver Cafe.

I probably should have opted for sampling a newly arrived vial of Heeley Menthe Fraiche. But I've had coffee and toast on the brain for four hours. Will test the Menthe later.

Blog Entries

Opted for Anne Pliska as my SOTE, for a cozy night in with the bf, a fish supper, X Factor & a movie. Baby it's cold outside! Who could resist this delicious orange-vanilla-pastry concoction? Good enough to eat, l reckon! l've nearly finished my sample, though, so this is firmly on my wishlist for next year...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'm wearing Jacomo Arts Collection #2. It's described as a leathery oriental gourmand:

Top Notes: bergamot
    Heart Notes: lily, tonka bean, modelling clay accord
    Base Notes: vanilla, suede accord, amber, patchouli

And let me tell you, it's just nummy!

There's hard leather, like a tooled Moroccan handbag. Play Doh, in all it's vanilla and salty bitter almond glory. A thread of warm patchouli incense. Rubber, like the big pebble shaped erasers that get worn down leaving soft black flakes on your pencilled page. It's that odd teacher you had for one term in your last year of Primary school, all coloured scarfs and quirkily French accented English.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

I'm wearing L de Lolita Lempicka today,as I have been a lot lately.I guess the holiday season and winter weather have me craving cinnamon infused oranges with salty vanilla!I find this one very comforting.This thread smells yummy!
    The nose wants what it wants!

I didn't wear a scent today (gasp) but I've been looking forward to my SotE, just applied. It is Ava Luxe's WILD BLACKBERRY MUSK. Notes include wild blackberries, Madagascar vanilla, white rose, skin musk, animalic notes. Serena classes this as fruity/citrus or musk/animalic, but for today's purposes I'm classing it as gourmand.

For once, the term 'I'd rather chew my own arm off' is not derogatory.

Ah, blessed weekend.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Blog Entries

I'm wearing Angel today. Ah, Angel and me. It's an old story, so my apologies if you've heard it before.
    Never heard it, loved hearing it!
    Thanks for sharing.

I decided to go with Rahat Loukoum, as I originally decided. Rose water, almonds, sugar at first but now honey is kicking in.

I did not expect to love gourmands, but everyone recommended them to me in my fragrant consultations, and I am finding myself steering toward this category. But so far, Rahat Loukoum is not my favorite one in this category. I -- come closer, I'll whisper -- I need something -- I'm embarrassed --something richer...

-- No! How could you think that of me?! No, RICHER, not sweeter!

Trussardi Inside for Women -- a blind buy, girls at work did not appreciate it, it is an OK scent with coffee, heliothrope, soft woods and vanilla.

If you would like a small decant, you know what to do!

My computer did something crazy, so forgive me if this is a duplicate post (or if there's some strange partial post floating around here somewhere).

For gourmand month, I had lots of samples to choose from. It's my favorite category. In the end I went with Angel because it was the first scent I tried after years of going "naked".

I don't wear it much, because there are so many scents to experience and because, frankly, it can be too pushy. But for me Angel is like those Cadbury eggs they bring out at Easter. I couldn't take it on a regular basis, but once in a while, that over-the-top sweetness is the perfect treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    I'm wearing Jacomo Arts Collection #2. It's described as a leathery oriental gourmand:

Top Notes: bergamot
    Heart Notes: lily, tonka bean, modelling clay accord
    Base Notes: vanilla, suede accord, amber, patchouli

And let me tell you, it's just nummy!

There's hard leather, like a tooled Moroccan handbag. Play Doh, in all it's vanilla and salty bitter almond glory. A thread of warm patchouli incense. Rubber, like the big pebble shaped erasers that get worn down leaving soft black flakes on your pencilled page. It's that odd teacher you had for one term in your last year of Primary school, all coloured scarfs and quirkily French accented English.
    What a great description! I love the imagery.

I'm sampling Angel today. Have never smelled it before, got a sample at the mall a few weeks ago and literally spritzed it on blind this afternoon. So far, I'm liking it pretty well, even if I couldn't begin to figure out what all is going on with it.

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Angel today. Ah, Angel and me. It's an old story, so my apologies if you've heard it before.
    Oh Terry, you know what I always say about Angel ... You don't choose Angel, Angel chooses you. It just took her a while to decide to shine for you. (She can be fickle that way!)

For SnS today, I'm wearing Aquolina's Blue Sugar. This is the masculine counterpart to Pink Sugar, which I really enjoy wearing at times. I think PS is more complex than it sounds, and it never fails to land me compliments. Blue Sugar has that same complexity, IMO. It is a little more spicy, more moody, and has deep licorice and cedar notes that makes it totally different from PS. Make no mistake, this is SWEET, but the wood and patchouli notes keep it from going too far into toothache territory. I have a tough time sometimes with licorice notes ... Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, I'm looking at you ... but here, licorice is used just right.

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Caramelised Sugar
    Middle Notes: Licorice, Patchouli, Lavendar, Coriander, Anise
    Base Notes: Cedar, Tonka, Vanilla

SotE Dior Homme Intense, featuring some of my favorite cocoa and vanilla notes, all overlaid with the infamous "lipstick" note. It's just great stuff. Perfect for a cozy night at home.

Petra Ichor's fragrance sounds amazing. I've never heard of it before reading this thread...

I debated for a while earlier today...should I go with my new bottle of Tauer's Une Rose Vermeille - a yummy rose, if you will? Or, maybe something from my Keiko Mecheri sampler (not a drop of regret in that purchase!)? But then I thought...vanilla! Yes - which one? Fragonard Vanille (vanilla & patch) was considered for a second, but I decided on...

Nicolai's Vanille Tonka - perfect! Actually, I wonder if this one was my first "niche" purchase. Hmm. In any case, it's a mix of notes that would seem all wrong on paper - tangerine, vanille, frankincense, tonka - but it's a marvelous and one-of-a-kind vanilla.

Love the gourmand sniff and speak Saturday! Smells yummy in here!

Tonight I am wearing the Laura Mercier Vanille Gourmande. It is a very lovely and subtle grown up vanilla. Described as "capturing the essence of vanilla orchid & vanilla liqueur, vanilla musk, heliotrope, daylily, bourbon vanilla, sandalwood & amber." I really am enjoying this. And the price is very reasonable so it is easy on the pocketbook unlike my favorite gourmand scent Tihota.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed Rahat Loukoum very much. It was still faintly there, when the package from TPC showed itself in my mailbox, so I had to drench myself with Ambre Narguile, for the first time in a spray. I experience it as a gourmand with incense, I always get some there, and one time I got perfect Khyphi with honey. Sadly, that experience never repeated itself.

Not strictly a gourmand in my opinion, but I enjoy it. And I think Quarry said one time that I love gourmands and brought this one as one of the examples, so it's gotta count

This Sniff-n-Speak was kind of a challenge for me, since I am not a fan of gourmands (I always feel like I don't want to smell like something to eat...) I decided to do it anyway, hoping maybe I would be able discover a new side to gourmands, but I guess I still don't care for them much. I tried a sample of "Acqua e Zucchero" by Profumum. My boyfriend immediately remarked: "You smell weird - kind of like a fairground." He didn't like it, either. It is very sweet and has a lot of vanilla in it, now and then a little orange blossom peeps out. I get a feeling of cotton candy and roasted almonds, so the fairground comparison is pretty much on mark. I don't really have much of a sweet tooth when it comes to eating and I guess that goes for fragrances as well...am looking forward to the next Sniff-n-Speak!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Pomander, Quarry, and Warum!

Shannon, there have been so many times that I've tried a frag and there was no question it wasn't for me but that wasn't the case with Angel. Something about it compelled me to persist. I'm just glad that my patience was rewarded.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks for jumping in for SnS, everybody. Klute, I struggle with some categories, too. It's funny how some scents are almost painful to wear. I know what tdem means about persisting; have had those turnaround experiences, too. I think eventually we all go through every possible emotion if we explore fragrances long enough. I think the scariest prospect is the idea of falling out of love with a fragrance which, for a time, has been/was highly satisfying. And our friends wonder what we have to talk about here at Basenotes--ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I know what tdem means about persisting; have had those turnaround experiences, too.
    Mitsouko,anyone?!
    I have in fact had that awful experience with scents that all of a sudden don't work.Big white florals of any kind used to be an instant tropical vacation for me,now all I get is bitterness from them.You know I'll keep persisting,though,no matter how painful.We must be crazy!
    The nose wants what it wants!

I chose Gourmand Coquin for Sniff 'n Speak yesterday. It is one of my favorite gourmands. In fact, I did not even think I liked gourmands until I tried this one. It just smells like a delicious pastry shop that also sells hot chocolate. It is not overly sweet, which is a good thing.
    Evenstar