Code of Conduct

Default ** TABU ** your opinions please

Hi Ladies ,, I had the pleasure to be reintroduced to this perfume a few weeks ago ,, I instantly recognised it as one that an ex high school girlfreind wore back in the early 80's ,, Well I decided to open a thread the other day in the male section and this perfume is being bagged big time .... IS IT REALLY THAT NASTY ?? or is it as my nose says a lovely alluring scent ... cheerio .

Default Re: ** TABU ** your opinions please

I like Tabu! I don't think it is nasty at all.
    I don't include it in my wardrobe, because it is my mom's perfume, and, as much as I love her, I don't want to smell like her!

I always hated it, but I can't remember why. I'm not inclined to go and have a sniff to remind me either. So I guess it must be that nasty - at least to me!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Talking Re: ** TABU ** your opinions please

I had a CRAVING for Tabu not long ago - and rushed down to Target and bought a little 10ml spray. And, for a cheap little thing - it is a real gem and I get a lot of compliments when I wear it. Definately 'less is more' with this, but it smells really classy when applied the right way and with the right look.
    I'm thinking - out for dinner, wearing a long leather coat, then stepping into a restaurant, whipping off said coat and a discreet whiff of Tabu comes out of my cleavage as I am seated at the table.
    Oh dear - I'm such a ROMANTIC!
    Last edited by Gumoosh; 2nd June 2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Typo

It's one of the best things I've smelled on a woman.

On the BN Directory, 15 out of 23 reviews are thumbs up. Check it out: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210986&page=reviews

I am one of those who love - no, adore Tabu. It works very well on and for me.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Nasty? Tabu? On the contrary, it is a powerful, sexy "parfum de puta" according to legend and when you find a great well preserved vintage bottle you have found a masterpiece.

I have loved it since age 14...I'm now 34. My favorite form is the violin bottle that you dab on, I think it smells best when dabbed not sprayed.

The last compliment I paid a friend on fragrance, asking "What are you wearing" was for Tabu. I have a little violin shaped bottle from Micah's mom's estate. He used a good part of it on cotton balls as a room scent. Heh.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Tabu is not a nasty scent, but you can suddenly get too much and it's ruined forever. I can't bear it now, but many years ago, I loved to sniff it. MANY years ago. Recently, I reacquainted myself with it and I still can't stand it. I'm afraid I'd step away from someone wearing it now. But it's not bad. It can just be so strong if applied incorrectly or with too generous a hand. I think Tabu is a love-or-hate scent.

OK, I'll probably be slammed for telling this story, but I must anyway because my opinions of Tabu are so influenced by it.

Where I live, there is a large population of homeless and/or transient people. Very sad but true. Most of them live on the streets and drink all day. I should also mention that where I live is in northern Australia - the tropics. Very hot. Anyway here in Australia, we have a very comprehensive public health system (thank God) whereby these people have a lot of access to health services. I know quite a few people who work in the community health system, and a couple of them work in the Womens' Health section.

Here's where Tabu comes into it.

It's known and accepted that when most of the women come in to have gynacalogical exams, they generally don't shower first. Obviously they're homeless so having a shower is a bit of a luxury. It's also well-known that Tabu is the fragrance of choice for many homeless women, because it's cheap and available everywhere. Anyway, I have heard too many stories from gynaecologists and nurses who have had to endure generous showerings of Tabu to cover up the fact that the patient hasn't showered in a few days.

I'm sorry if you didn't want to read that, I really am!! But I cannot bring myself to go anywhere near Tabu because of its strong associations here in my community!
    Last edited by ozkat; 3rd June 2007 at 03:39 AM.

Yes, Ozkat, my associations with Tabu have also ruined it for me.

Too many stale bottles on too many dressers of my mother's friends, and even stale ones sitting on the store shelves. A cheap loud friend of my parents always wore it at parties. I mean, she was really cheap, and really loud.

I may have to retry it, because a lot of people seem to really like it. But I don't know if I can get past the associations.

Oh, okay... I'll try it

It's dark, it's dry, it's spicy. It has quite a lot of patchouli and civet in its base. It smells (on my skin, after some drydown) like cinnamon and burning nag champa. It definitely isn't light, clean, or sweet, which is the current trend. I do like it quite a lot but I can see why some people hate it so much. I wear it in the winter when I'm staying home with a book, and I don't wear too much. I think over-applying it in the summer might cause brain aneurysms among the people who had to suffer my sillage.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

I tried Tabu a few years ago and disliked it. I found it nauseatingly sweet. I had been wanting to try it again for quite a while, though, so yesterday I finally bought a bottle of Tabu edc spray. It's interesting. It was extremely sweet at first - like bubblegum - which I think is the orange. But sweet fragrances are working much better for me lately, change of chemistry maybe. In drydown, it is smoky on my skin, and I don't actually detect a lot of patchouli, as in Youth Dew, for example, but just a small amount. But I understand Tabu is a heavily patchouli'ed fragrance, so what do I know. For me, wearing Tabu yesterday was like wandering around in a cloud of sweet smoky incense and there was a distinctly sexual scent to it, too (civet?). I really enjoyed it. It will definitely not be an "everyday" type of scent for me - probably wouldn't wear it to church or a baby shower - but I have come to the point where I can appreciate it. It conjures up 1950's/1960's blowsy-boozy-floozy-hausfrau associations for me, which I had a lot of fun with yesterday. I agree with the people who say that if it were part of a niche line in a fancy bottle people would be raving over it. And I think it would be tremendous on a sultry summer night, just don't overapply. ;-)

Hello again ,, I found a 50ml bottle at a church boot sale of all places !! I grabbed it straight away ,, I thank you all for your stories & opinions on this perfume ,, I couldn't help myself and opened it immediately and been sampling it over the past week ,, yes it is very strong and a little goes a long way . Im gonna experiment with it by combining it with ?? and perhaps come up with something like a masculine version . Anyway if any of you ladies have smelt a gents cologne that reminded you of Tabu let me know . cheers to all .. D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hello again ,, I found a 50ml bottle at a church boot sale of all places !! I grabbed it straight away ,, I thank you all for your stories & opinions on this perfume ,, I couldn't help myself and opened it immediately and been sampling it over the past week ,, yes it is very strong and a little goes a long way . Im gonna experiment with it by combining it with ?? and perhaps come up with something like a masculine version . Anyway if any of you ladies have smelt a gents cologne that reminded you of Tabu let me know . cheers to all .. D
    Dimitrios - Congratulations on your fortuitous find! Tabu was definitely meant for you...

Layering combo's to try:

Orange Blossom / Neroli - scents dominated by either of these notes will 'freshen' and lighten the intensity of the patchouli rich animalic base without altering the essential character of the scent. You may need to reapply.

Dana Tabu + Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Neroli Blossom
    Dana Tabu + Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    Dana Tabu + Muelhens 4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser

Dry Woods

Dana Tabu + Gucci pour Homme
    Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Teak Wood
    Dana Tabu + Yardley Sandalwood
    Dana Tabu + Serge Lutens Chene

Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Red Tara

Dana Tabu + Givenchy Body Kouros
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Heritage
    Dana Tabu + Serge Lutens Santal Blanc
    Dana Tabu + Nemat Arabian Wood
    Dana Tabu + YSL M7

Incense

Dana Tabu + Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Dana Tabu + Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Fumari
    Dana Tabu + CDG Incense Series: Jaisalmer
    Dana Tabu + Nemat Frankincense
    Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Chaos type
    Dana Tabu + Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi

Other similar scents suitable for a guy:

Must de Cartier EDT
    Must de Cartier pour Homme
    Lagerfeld KL pour Homme
    YSL Opium pour homme EDT / EDP
    YSL Opium pour femme EDP
    Estee Lauder Cinnabar
    Estee Lauder (Aramis) JHL
    Escada pour Homme
    Montale Patchouli Leaves
    Parfumerie Generale Coze
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Banned

Tabu? I love this stuff. It seems a bit rude in the opening, but when it settles down, it's pretty wild and animalistic.
    Many dismiss it because it's cheap, but so is Bal à Versailles. (Yes, there is a similarity!)

I can't pull it off, but it brings back very fond memories of a very dear friend who is no longer on this earth. It's one of those cheap and cheerful classics from times gone by. It always has a magical, mysterious scent to me. I love it very much, not only for the intriguing and alluring scent, but for the wonderful associations I have with it.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 2nd April 2010 at 06:51 AM.

I have a small bottle of the parfum in Tabu bought cheaply some years ago. Now its not something I reach for alot, but if the craving for some PATCHOULI, come to me then Tabu is the one to go for. Patchouli on steriods, pumped up and no prisoners taken. I like it.
    DONNA

I LOVE vintage Tabu. I even collect it (well, I'll never NOT buy a bottle if I see it). I think the vintage has a depth and quality the newer perfume lacks, but I also think Tabu is a gaudy-sweet, wonderful oriental-bomb of a fragrance. It's gorgeous in the winter with a warm blanket.

Applied with discretion, I love it. It's sexy, sexual (civet?) and mysterious. I think the key with Tabu is body chemistry and application.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

I prefer the vintage cologne, and find it slightly naughty.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

An old thread revived!

Tabu is wonderful --but too many people wear too much of it. I have to dab, not spray.

Although it is not the fragrance that it once was, it still is an appealing spicy patchouli. I have sampled expensive fragrances that are no better and many that are far worse.

Also a dabber - Tabu is a sledgehammer, not a powerhouse! Divine in judicious amounts, have worn for 40 years!

reine

I heart Tabu! I actually prefer the newer one, for the gaudy sweetness latelittlesleeper spoke of. And I probs wear too much of it.

I remember Tabu from years back - I think my mother had it and I remember liking it then. Last night at the grocery store I found a 30 ml bottle of Tabu very cheap, so am going to try it. I'm sure it's a different formula, but it will be interesting to see if it resembles my memory of it.

Sorry.....This is one I never liked!!!
    Gary

from what era are these violin shaped bottles? i have read somewhere that tabu was discontinued for many years, but i have found vintage ads from the 40's till late 70's so i think that's not true. haven't found any ads with dating for the violin bottles, maybe they are less old as these ads then?

I love Ange ou Demon by Givenchy, and many people claim it smells like Tabu. I've been really excited about trying it, however many negative reviews about the new bottles. Where can I find a vintage one? I'm really interested in trying it out, if it's really a better, classy version of Ange ou Demon.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    I'm really interested in trying it out, if it's really a better, classy version of Ange ou Demon.
    Tabu and Ange ou Démon are miles
    apart, no similarities whatsoever!

Tabu is anything BUT classy.
    First of all, it's cheap as trash,
    like 7 dollars for 115ml EdT.
    Ange ou Démon is a hundred times
    more classy than Tabu. That said;
    I looove Tabu!

I love Tabu too! I have a mini cello bottle and a full bottle of the newer cologne .The older has a more "root beer "topnote vibe and the newer more fruity sweet orange to my nose.(this is from bottle sniffing .I have worn the newer one )
    I haven't tried AoD -yet (at least not so I can clearly recall the scent)gimme time!

Tabu doesn't suit me at all, and I don't enjoy it on other people. It has quite a following, though!

What!!!!!! jaw drops Ange au Demon is pure orange cream soda nothing like Tabu no patchouli in sight.
    DONNA

I enjoy it and like it, but I don't LOVE it. Rather than a classy Ange ou Demon it's more like a cheap version of some niche animalic patchoulis ( like Parfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauve and Dr. Vranjes Ambra Iris ) mixed with florals and sweet orange.

Still, better than most designers that sell for more, and one I enjoy more than a number of its niche relatives!

Banned

Tabu is a hooker. Really!
    Having said that, I love Tabu.

Sur la Plage

I tried some vintage Tabu recently that someone gave me. I really liked it. It made me feel like such a naughty girl.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Love Dana's Tabu as well.

As many have said and I agree, discreet application is key. I'm also a fan of dabbing instead of spraying on this one.

On a similar note, have anyone here tried or have Dana's Emir, 20 karats and Platine? They usually we bundled together with Tabu on old advertisements.

cheers!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 25th August 2010 at 01:23 PM.

It's a love/hate fragrance. I used to hate it. Now, I love it - especially in its vintage form which is much better than the current juice. Sometimes I wear it around the house, rarely in public because some people really can't abide the stuff, and I do know how they feel because I was once one of them. It gives me a sexy femme vibe, stilettos and red lipstick.

Adding...As I think about it, I honestly don't find it at all wearable in an everyday sense. It's more of a mood-evoker, costumey type scent.

Un profumo affettuoso

[QUOTE
    Adding...As I think about it, I honestly don't find it at all wearable in an everyday sense. It's more of a mood-evoker, costumey type scent.[/QUOTE]

So true, I absoltely agree.
    It is what I'd call a "boudoir scent". The vintage version is amazing!
    As for the recent, modern el-cheapo Tabu: I find it vulgar and monstrous. Not wearable.

Tabu was one of the first gifts of perfume given to me as a young teen, one aunt gave me the powder which I wore regularly and then another aunt gave me the little violin bottle. I still have both and they still smell great 20+ years later. It was rather a grown up scent at that time and I still do like it. The new version is so different. It's still a nice scent, just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Tabu and Ange ou Démon are miles
    apart, no similarities whatsoever!

Tabu is anything BUT classy.
    First of all, it's cheap as trash,
    like 7 dollars for 115ml EdT.
    Ange ou Démon is a hundred times
    more classy than Tabu. That said;
    I looove Tabu!
    That's quite shocking to me considering how many people mentioned the name Tabu to me when I spoke of Ange ou Demon. None of them are experts though. I'm still curious to try Tabu regardless

Blog Entries

It depends whats your taste are
    if your more a modern watery floral
    or in a unisex vibe sure it would be nasty
    and also body Chemistry and scent
    changes like fashion changes to add
    to the popularity of the people and understand
    that tabu came out 78 years ago and to
    the young crowd it's going to smell old
    and stinky they are used to the light florals
    that does'nt last.

i just broke an big old 1960's pure perfume bottle of tabu the other day. i almost exploded when i did put the stopper on. the bottle was in a hundred pieces. 20 ml of this delicious rich juice, all gone. it made me mad - and then sad.
    now i have an incredible smelling towel..

Modern Tabu smells like A and W root beer to me...but I bet the old stuff was really something.

I like modern Tabu even though it is cheap and cheesy (maybe bc it is!). I have vague memories of vintage Tabu from extreme childhood (1960s) and would love to smell it again if someone would be kind enough to send me a sample.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    That's quite shocking to me considering how many people mentioned the name Tabu to me when I spoke of Ange ou Demon. None of them are experts though. I'm still curious to try Tabu regardless
    And it's shoking to me, that many told you they were sililar.
    They are as much apart as, say, Opium and Chanel N°19!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    And it's shoking to me, that many told you they were sililar.
    They are as much apart as, say, Opium and Chanel N°19!
    Agreed ...how could they even get compared?

You can buy Tabu cologne now in the gift sections of Walmart for under $10.00 USD, and 30 ml for $5.00. They also have the men's classic English Leather. These are cheap joys for many of us.

These are boxed as holiday stocking stuffers.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/08/11...erfume-review/
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have only sampled vintage Tabu, it's not available in my part of the world and I have no associations with it at all. After reading several reviews I found it surprisingly soft, mellow and quite lovely, with a somewhat sneaky, slinky animalic quality that I now recognise in my vintage Youth Dew parfum, too.

Vintage Tabu is on my to-get-list.

I've only tried the new version. I wasn't really familiar with it until I found basenotes. Because it generates strong feelings pro and con, of course I had to try it (also because it's so cheap). Anyway, I like it and it's odd combination of spice, warmth and trashiness, especially after about an hour's wear. Would love to try an old version, although I expect finding one anywhere near would be a challenge.

I love both the vintage and modern. I have many expensive and 'classy' scents, but this is the one my husband comments on!

don't get the new one, the vintage is easy to find on ebay, and often for a good price. the new one smells not by far as good as a vintage one. you won't need a large bottle, a very little of this utterly potent stuff will do, even in the edc edition.

ps. tabu is a strong and animalic oriental fragrance, one of the most sexual scents out there, and some people might find it offensive. but the vintage is very complex and refined, too. it's like a hooker with exceptional manners and style.
    Last edited by gido; 2nd December 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Tabu is wonderful - deep, misterious, warm. Thank you for reminding me of it, it's time to start using it again in this cold.

To the starter of the thread: You simply have a good nose - that's all!

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 2nd January 2011 at 03:07 AM.

Adding to the Tabu love- it certainly has earned its place, I mean its still around after all these years.
    I love it, spicy, sweet, warm, musky, animalic, powdery and a little naughty. Sometimes I really crave it, especially in the dead of winter and nothing else can satiate the craving.