Code of Conduct

Default Diptyque Eau Duelle smells very similar to Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Aedes was nice enough to include me a sample of Eau Duelle in my latest sample order. I couldn't help but to relate this to Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I must say that I get quite a lot of that creamy vanilla in ED that I get in SDV. I think that SDV's top notes are slightly different though, in that they have that slight pink peppercorn and boozy quality, that I haven't seen anywhere...But at the moment, Eau Duelle is reminding me a lot of SDV

Default Re: Diptyque Eau Duelle smells very similar to Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I'm going to have to find a sample of this, if you are comparing it to the great SDV. Oh and you're at 999 posts leor!

Default Re: Diptyque Eau Duelle smells very similar to Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

They're really quite different imho.

I've sampled many vanilla fragrances and not one has come close to the magic of SDV, in my opinion, unless perhaps it is another Guerlain vanilla-focused fragrance (vintage Shalimar).

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post

Sur la Plage

Not to my nose.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Not to my nose.
    Nor to mine.

I have to agree with those that don't find any similarities. Eau Duelle doesn't do the rummy-syrupy vanilla thing that SDV does. I find ED to be a much more transparent vanilla. I'm a big fan of Eau Duelle.

When you say transparent vanilla Kevin, is it more of an "unadulterated" and light, happy-go-lucky type? I do find SDV incredibly dense in texture. In all honesty I've ignored many of Diptyque's releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I have to agree with those that don't find any similarities. Eau Duelle doesn't do the rummy-syrupy vanilla thing that SDV does. I find ED to be a much more transparent vanilla. I'm a big fan of Eau Duelle.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    When you say transparent vanilla Kevin, is it more of an "unadulterated" and light, happy-go-lucky type? I do find SDV incredibly dense in texture. In all honesty I've ignored many of Diptyque's releases.
    I wouldn't exactly call it happy-go-lucky, it's vanilla without the booze. Like the difference between coconut milk and coconut water, does that makes sense?

Indeed - it's piqued my curiosity and I'll have to find a sample now! Thanks K

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call it happy-go-lucky, it's vanilla without the booze. Like the difference between coconut milk and coconut water, does that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Agree.

If you like either of these you owe it to yourself to check out the new Shalimar Ode a la Vanille. It falls about mid way between the two in terms of weight, perhaps leaning more towards the lightness of Duelle, but the vanilla in OalV seems to have a nice touch of the boozy quality of SDV.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 21st November 2010 at 04:53 PM.

They're both nice, but I don't find any similarities as well.

Not really and

1- I'm not a fan of vanilla
    2- SDV and ED are possibly the only 2 vanilla oriented perfumes I love

I can understand where you are coming from.

I thought ED was a little like Creeds ridiculously priced Sublime Musk....erm sorry I mean Sublime Vanille. The musks and vanilla notes seem similar. ED has other complexities though. The connections made me wonder if I could acuse Fabrice Pellegrin of sublime vanille????
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Hirch, Eau Duelle reminds me of Sublime Vanille (and Shalimar Light also, for that matter).

Spiriteuse Double Vanille is just so boozy...this makes it completely different.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I actually agree with leor_77 (congrats on the 1000 posts btw) and the others on this one. I find a transparent, slightly boozy quality in Eau Duelle that reminds me of SDV. 'Reminiscent' is, of course, not synonymous with 'the same as'. To my nose the Diptyque is lighter & peppery while the Guerlain is smokier and leans towards the denser side. Fortunately, I happen to enjoy both.

Do most of you find this unisex with a lean towards the feminine? or the masculine?

I received some of this recently and as soon as I sprayed it on a smile hit my face because this is virtually a dead ringer for SdV. I'm very familiar with SdV as it's one of my fav scents and Eau Duelle is an incredibly well priced alternative. I'm surprised at how many folks in this thread think they smell nothing alike. I'm doing a side by side right now and they are about as similar as it gets. SdV is a little more robust and boozy whereas the Diptyque is a bit lighter and is posing no problems despite the warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Aedes was nice enough to include me a sample of Eau Duelle in my latest sample order. I couldn't help but to relate this to Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I must say that I get quite a lot of that creamy vanilla in ED that I get in SDV. I think that SDV's top notes are slightly different though, in that they have that slight pink peppercorn and boozy quality, that I haven't seen anywhere...But at the moment, Eau Duelle is reminding me a lot of SDV
    I actually couldn't agree more...
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

My friend and I both shave our heads...because of that people always ask if we are brothers just because we both shave our heads. We really don't look alike but people jump to that conclusion. That being said, just because a fragrance has vanilla in it, it doesn't mean that it smells like all other vanillas. I like Eau Duelle and SDV for what they are respectively, but I don't think they are all that similar. Yes they both are prominent vanilla scents but wow does Eau Duelle turn powdery, which is something that I do not like, and SDV never turns powdery, and is a warmer richer vanilla. If you compare them with just the powder difference in mind they are worlds apart. SDV is the superior in my opinion and is deeper, warmer, and richer, whereas Eau Duelle is powdery, lighter, and with less depth. I just don't think that just because they are both prominent vanilla frags that they smell just like each other.

They only share the vanilla aspect to me...they have completely different feels. SDV is so far my all time favorite, but Eau Duelle will have to prove itself to me, that said it is nice. I think the tea adds to the softness, but SDV is not light at all, Eau Duelle can be a little transparent.

Eau Duelle is incense + vanilla
    SDV is boozy + pure extract vanilla

I find Eau Duelle a bit more masculine