Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: lordy look what walked into TJXMaxx

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I suspect the ad campaign was fairly gay-themed right ? I think the naked dude sunk M7 before it took off.......but perhaps the "gayest" ad and bottle of all time sells really well amongst the guidos and broughams.......Le Male......I think the pepper and cough syrup topnotes are likely more to blame.
    Gayness doesn't chase off fashion enthusiasts. Calvin Klein underwear, for example. Sex sells, don't overthink it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whoa, how much for the Curve Crush.............hahahahaha, you know I'm kidding. Seriously though, I've seen Gaultier's Madame at TJ also so their shelves can surprise you sometimes. Or is Madame a "dud" too?
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Post Thanks / Like

I was just at Marshalls, they had 3 different Tommy Bahamas, Azzaro PH, Ferragamo PH, Halston Z14, 2 Burberrys... any of those worth a blind buy besides Azzaro, which is usually there?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ***Eyes gravitate instantly to the Facconnable***

But Yeah, bang is a great designer release, very green, spicy & woody without being cheesy or dated at all, I really liked it.
    I scored a nice bottle of Faconable last week. This is a nice fragrance with eau qualities. Innofensive and work-safe.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I gravitated towards Facconnable as well!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Bang has been very discounted/affordable, for quite some time, on Ebay (I've been watching it, as I'm in the market for a bottle myself), so it doesn't surprise me at all that it's at TJ Maxx. Still, when I buy mine, I want the matching shower gel too.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Bang is nice stuff. It has actually done very well in some stores, according to what the SAs have told me.

I know that some of the better stuff ends up in discount because of age, but I simply can't imagine that ANY Bang is expiring now. Has to be some other reason.

I knew this would have a rough time in the mainstream market.....I do respect Bang but must say that I do not like this at all.....This just didn't work for me!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I like Bang, but to me it was to similar to Polo so I passed(meaning I already own Polo).

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I was just at Marshalls, they had 3 different Tommy Bahamas, Azzaro PH, Ferragamo PH, Halston Z14, 2 Burberrys... any of those worth a blind buy besides Azzaro, which is usually there?
    I would say Halston Z-14 is a safe blind buy, mainly because it's a classic, and it's cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Bang has been very discounted/affordable, for quite some time, on Ebay (I've been watching it, as I'm in the market for a bottle myself), so it doesn't surprise me at all that it's at TJ Maxx. Still, when I buy mine, I want the matching shower gel too.
    Doncha want the balloons?

140.jpg
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post

Tommy's scents are regulars there but they receive really good reviews here. With warmer weather around the corner I'd say the Original (brown bottle) and Cool version are worth the try.
    sent via commodore 64

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marc Jacobs BANG is at TJ Maxx

Just a head's up. I really dig it and so does my wife. Great anytime, anywhere scent. $39.99 for the 1.7 OZ EDT. I bought mine off eBay a while back. Kinda stunned me to see it as my MAXX/Marshall's have had a crappy selection for some time now.

Default Re: Marc Jacobs BANG is at TJ Maxx

As much as I admire this fine fragrance, I think it was marketed incorrectly, and as a result hasn't found an audience, hence the overstock being dumped at discounters. A truly bizarre ad campaign, a cheesy bottle and juvenile name do not represent the sophistication of what's inside the bottle. This one could have been a great release for Gucci.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Agreed. I asked a Nordstrom SA how it was selling, and she said it was a "tough sell" for most buyers. It's probably a case of defied expectations. The people who want a scent like Bang don't test Bang, and the people to do test Bang don't want an austere peppery wood scent.

So this news doesn't surprise me much. Would have been nice if it succeeded.

Is $39.99 a good price? Seems kind of high for TJMaxx,and it's only a $10-15 discount from retail.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

No, $39.99 is not a great price, but it is a very fine fragrance. To me, it's definitely worth that price. Matter of taste, I suppose. It just shocked me to see it at the Maxx so quickly. In my estimation it was better than any other designer release last year, including Chanel Bleu. Of last year's releases, only Aventus surpassed it, IMHO.

FYI, that size is $55 at Sephora, so it's a good deal versus retail.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 19th April 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Whoops! My sincere apologies! I did not see that it had already been posted. Pretty rookie mistake on my part. Sorry guys!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Whoops! My sincere apologies! I did not see that it had already been posted. Pretty rookie mistake on my part. Sorry guys!
    I am just joking with you Chuck. The other thread was certainly not obvious as to what the topic was - unless you drilled down into it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

It's been months since fallin into the local Marshalls. I remember, though, picking up a bottle of something (can't for the life of me remember what is was), seeing a 39.99 tag and thinking 'whats so great about this price'? I guess time will tell... the great finds for 5.99 in the bargain bin gotta come from somewhere.

I tried Bang at a local Macys last holiday season. Good, but I felt my Gucci PHI had it pretty much covered for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not seen it at TJ's yet, but I'll keep an eye open. Bang is one of those frags that I admire and respect for its quality, but I'm not sure I can wear it. There's a "fresh" smelling note among the pepper and wood that doesn't quite sit right with me. I'm not sure it would suit me. But if I see it going for under the $40, I'd probably buy it.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Post Thanks / Like

Got this at my Marshalls last night for 39.99 also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    Whoa, how much for the Curve Crush.............hahahahaha, you know I'm kidding. Seriously though, I've seen Gaultier's Madame at TJ also so their shelves can surprise you sometimes. Or is Madame a "dud" too?
    Hey! I like Crush. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    Tommy's scents are regulars there but they receive really good reviews here. With warmer weather around the corner I'd say the Original (brown bottle) and Cool version are worth the try.
    Yeah, I love T. Bahama's Very Cool & would definitely second that recommendation. (It's a great summer scent with orange and a lot of ginger). It's a favorite if mine. I didn't like Set Sail St. Barts though (too boozy for my tastes). I haven't tried the original TB yet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Bang makes use of some fangled Givaudan captive. I quite enjoy it.

has bang been reformulated? i remember it smelling a lot more peppery when it came out.

Couldn't agree more with a fellow basenoter who mentioned how "bizarre" the ad campaign was and how "cheesy" the name was.

i have a family friend that wears this. i just dont get it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. Vol. 3

Bumping this.

Anybody see anything new?

This was a surprise to me, at TJ Maxx today, I saw Marc Jacobs Bang. it was 39.99 and a bigger bottle, but it didn't say the oz size on there which was weird. It might have been a tester or something, but it was wrapped in cellophane. I also saw Dirty English 1.7 oz at TJM for 16.99. Ed Hardy Love & Luck 3.3 oz or whatever the bigger bottle is, for 29.99.

Also some cool gift sets of mini's, looks like they changed them up a bit. One had Claiborne Sport, Michael Jordan, Lucky 6, Realities, and one other, I can't remember, it was 16.99, they were all .5 oz bottles.

The other was 19.99, it has Usher, Usher UR, Curve, Curve Crush, Curve Connect; all .5 oz bottles as well, for 19.99. Both these sets are a bit different from the ones I have seen in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite buys at TJ/Marshalls/Ross lately have been 50 Cent's Power & Usher's UR. Both were $14.99 & both are really underrated & dismissed because they are celebrity scents. Power is a really good mossy, musky fragrance & UR has one of the best drydowns I've smelled in a long time (smooth sweet cashmere wood & guaiac wood).

Also, I would 2nd the recommendation for Ross's. They usually don't have as many bottles as TJ & Marshalls, but you find more expensive & unique stuff, often at ridiculus discounts. (I bought Davidoff's Echo 100ml there for only $7.99 a few months back).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Bumping this.

Anybody see anything new?

This was a surprise to me, at TJ Maxx today, I saw Marc Jacobs Bang. it was 39.99 and a bigger bottle, but it didn't say the oz size on there which was weird. It might have been a tester or something, but it was wrapped in cellophane.
    Thanks for bumping this - I'll track down the other bang thread and merge it here. It totally didn't dawn on me when I saw it!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I really like Bang. I loved it when I sampled it and bought it. Then I thought it lacked proper development and was disappointed with it. I thought it was simply some pepper strapped onto a rocket of iso-e-super.

Eventually I came back to it and really, really began to get what it was all about. It's like something from Comme des Garçons Red series crossed with something from the Incense Series. Ourzazate meets Harissa. There are some real subtleties deep down in there. I always say that something about it smells like steam rising off fresh baked buttermilk biscuits. On skin, it's really sexy. The bottle is interesting and I admit that I like its goofiness, but I think it's a bit "too much" and a distraction from what a fine fragrance Bang really is.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

Great frag. Weird marketing. Awful bottle.

I wear the hell out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just a head's up. I really dig it and so does my wife. Great anytime, anywhere scent. $39.99 for the 1.7 OZ EDT. I bought mine off eBay a while back. Kinda stunned me to see it as my MAXX/Marshall's have had a crappy selection for some time now.
    Great to hear this. It was one of my favorite new releases last year and I really was close to purchasing it many times but didn't pull the trigger. I definitely will now. It used to be stuffed in a corner at Macy's and even they have phased it out now and added Bulgari Aqua Marine Tonic....better than Marine...and soon to be at TJ Maxx. Aqua PH has a pepper note that hits me like Bang and was a fave too.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

I found a single giftset of Estee Lauder Private Collection - Tuberose Gardenia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Thanks for bumping this - I'll track down the other bang thread and merge it here. It totally didn't dawn on me when I saw it!
    Good job, THANKS!!
    sent via commodore 64

I'm seeking discounted Mugler Cologne. It's been known to frequent Marshall's, etc. Anyone seen it in a discount store lately?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    I found a single giftset of Estee Lauder Private Collection - Tuberose Gardenia
    Oh wow! I hope I'm that lucky next time I'm there.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I'm seeking discounted Mugler Cologne. It's been known to frequent Marshall's, etc. Anyone seen it in a discount store lately?
    Haven't seen this in over a year. But, when I did, it was at TJ Maxx, it was the 2.5 oz I think, and it was 19.99.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont remember all the ones I saw but these stood out to me:

Fujiyama gift sets at Marshalls for $14.99
    There were some Beverly Hills Polo bottles, some Usher, Burberry too

Saw Deauville at TJMaxx for $12.99 75ml
    Faconnable $25 3.3oz
    Halston 1-12 for $9.99
    Jaguar $20
    Remember seeing White Diamonds, a couple of Britney Spears perfumes too

Saw 4711 at Burlington Coat Factory in giftsets from $25-30.

Will make another trip soon and let you know what more I find there. I have been wanting to get some Varvatos, anyone spotted any?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Marshalls in CT -

Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge, both $50.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Bang at Marshalls too, for $39.99 for a 1.7oz bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

100mls?
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (1905—1996)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentcloud View Post
    100mls?
    Yes. I might've gotten one or both but I'm not crazy about either of them. Not a bad deal though. However . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Marshall's:
    Gaultier2 - 2 1.3 oz bottles - 29.99
    Shalimar - 1 oz - 39.99
    Kouros - 1 oz - 29.99
    Beckham Signature gift set with 1.7 oz bottle - 24.99
    I know it's going back in time quite a bit to remark on this, but 1 oz of Kouros for $30? Yikes. I got 3.3 ounces for that much at a local perfume shop in the mall. I thought Marshalls was supposed to offer good deals . . . seems sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I know this was Christmas season, but still . . .
    Last edited by MOONB; 27th April 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Boss Intense ! actually amazing unisex scent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CreedKing View Post
    I have been wanting to get some Varvatos, anyone spotted any?
    I haven't seen any JV bottles there since Christmas.

I haven't seen anything interesting since Xmas. All usual suspects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Marshalls in CT -

I lucked up a few weeks ago and got the 100ml of Vetiver for $20.
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    I haven't seen anything interesting since Xmas. All usual suspects.
    Yep. The shelves seem to be stocked - but with nothing of interest.

Post Thanks / Like

My Marshall's had Dunhill Black yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I might've gotten one or both but I'm not crazy about either of them. Not a bad deal though. However . . .

I know it's going back in time quite a bit to remark on this, but 1 oz of Kouros for $30? Yikes. I got 3.3 ounces for that much at a local perfume shop in the mall. I thought Marshalls was supposed to offer good deals . . . seems sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I know this was Christmas season, but still . . .
    Ya, it's a bit high. I notice their mark up on YSL and Guerlain fragrances seem to be pretty high.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing new of note today, I bought a bottle of Bang because I liked it when it first came out. Facconable was down to $15 on clearance for the 3.3 so I bought that too. This was their bigger store and usually has more of a selection.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lately the Marshalls around here are stocking Quorum like crazy, sometimes 10 bottles on the shelf. Lots of Facconable, Azzaro PH and Black, Jaguar, Cool Water flankers, and everything else I either don't need or don't want.

One of these days I'll walk in there and they'll have something by Van Cleef & Arpels. Maybe Tsar. I know it. One of these days. (not holding my breath).

Post Thanks / Like

One of these days I'll walk in there and they'll have something by Van Cleef & Arpels. Maybe Tsar. I know it. One of these days. (not holding my breath).
    I've definitely seen Tsar at Marshall's before. It's been a few months though...

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro Visit 100ml for $13.99 at Marshalls. I've been looking for another good woody/smoky cold weather scent & I've heard good things about this one. Think I'll go back & pick it up this weekend if it's still there. (They only had 1, & it was marked with a clearance sticker & looked like a return).

Post Thanks / Like

Lately the Marshalls around here are stocking Quorum like crazy, sometimes 10 bottles on the shelf. Lots of Facconable, Azzaro PH and Black, Jaguar, Cool Water flankers, and everything else I either don't need or don't want.

Wish I'd run across more of the Cool Water flankers. I've got Summer Fizz, but I'd like to have them all. I haven't seen any recently in my area. Maybe with summer coming they'll get more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Wish I'd run across more of the Cool Water flankers. I've got Summer Fizz, but I'd like to have them all.

Really? That would take a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some Michel Germain Deauville and Sexual there for $12.99 each yesterday. The Sexual was 4.2oz the Deauville 2.5oz. I wore the Sexual to work and I kinda liked it, leans more towards the oriental side of things reminded me of a softer smoother version of PS.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought Boucheron Pour Homme Fraicheur at Marshall's for $29.99 today. They had 2 or 3 bottles. The Dunhill Black was gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought a bottle of Boucheron Pour Homme Fraicheur yesterday at Marshalls, $29.99 for 100 ml. There was one bottle of that, one bottle of Dunhill Black, and an assortment of the usual stuff I always see there.

Boucheron Pour Homme Fraicheur is a really nice light and fresh version of Boucheron Pour Homme, and I plan on wearing it frequently once the weather warms up!

Post Thanks / Like

I wore the Boucheron to church yesterday and it was really nice. Very light but zesty, and I could smell it all day long. It's like a blend of the original Boucheron Pour Homme and Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta.