Code of Conduct

Wink Recommendation for scent (preferred notes included)

Hello! I'm looking for a new, "signature" scent. While I've had much success with oil based perfumeries (such as BPAL), I'm looking to beat my wallet to death in new ways. I love the notes:

musks, sandalwood, amber, vanilla, chocolate, patchouli, carnation, blood orange, lavender, some honey, potentially fig and tonka and orris, tea, spicy pepper, mint, bergamot.

I'm not very well versed in aquatics or leathers but I tend to like blends with them. As may be obvious, I am a huge gourmand, oriental, and spicy perfume fan.

Oil perfume wise, I love:
    Boomslang - Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla, cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.
    Philtre #5 - Three ambers, French vanilla, Bourbon custard, golden musk, sweet coconut milk, and a soft whiff of skin musk
    Hetairae - golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a touch of ylang ylang.
    Love's Philosophy - Vanilla, saffron, and cream.
    Gypsy Moth - Bourbon vanilla, Egyptian musk, tonka, white sugar, and cardamom.
    Megaera - Orris, black amber, bergamot, plum and grapefruit.
    How Doth The Little Crocodile - Chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar.

Of the non-oil perfumes I've tried so far, I've really liked:

Burberry "London" - (An elegant, floral fragrance with top notes of rose, clementine and honeysuckle. Features tiare flower, jasmine and peony as the heart notes. Finished with sandalwood, veil of musk and patchouli as the dry down notes.) - smelled like Stripes gum to me.
    Thierry Mugler "Angel" - (Top notes : Bergamot, Mandarin, Middle notes : Passion Fruit, Peach, Apricot, Base note : Patchouli, Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel)
    Kat Von D "Saint" - not very sophisticated, I know. (Sephora. The sweet nectar of Mirabelle Plum and sparkling juicy mandarin create an addictive, mouth-watering top. At the heart, exotic, heady Tiare flower and sweet, tempting caramel are adorned with the velvety floralcy of jasmine, the queen of the night, as she emits her spellbinding fragrance into the sky. Sensual vanilla and creamy musk combine with the warmth of sandalwood for a comforting dry down.)
    Chanel "Chance" - notes of white musk, hyacinth and citron, pink pepper, jasmine, fresh vetiver, orris absolute and amber patchouli.
    Tokyo Milk "Honey and the Moon" - this is the one I've picked up most recently. (Subtly sweet: Honey, Sugared Violet, Jasmine & Sandalwood)

For notes I would run from, these mostly include green, soapy, or certain florals. I've generally found that with a vanilla or sandalwood base, I am somewhat okay with florals. But I really, really don't like rose. I've yet to find a single rose scent I can stand.

--

So! I've been considering the following perfumes:

Parfums d'Imperfiction "Alice in Wonderland" - this fragrance is a blend of mint, bergamot, carrot seed, violet, jasmine, lily of the valley, cedarwood and vanilla.
    Thierry Mugler "Womanity" - (the natural aroma of fig for the sweet accord and cavier for the salty/savory accord. This woody/marine fragrance starts with a bright citrus opening, followed by the sweet note of fig and an iodine-y salty note from the caviar. )
    Carnival Wax "Pearl" - Wood Notes, White Coconut Musk, and Creamy Vanilla
    Carnival Wax "Druglord" - An intoxicating blend of Patchouli and Spice, sweet Island Coconut, and Tahiltian Vanilla bathed in Egyptian Musk
    Carnival Wax "Peach Amber" - Spicy Pink Pepper, Warm Golden Amber, Vanilla and Peach

So if you have any recommendations or anything, please let me know! I'm most definitely willing to branch out and try new categories too, so please don't hesitate.

ETA: Also, I am desperately in search of a perfume that emphasizes vanilla and mint. I absolutely love this combination so if you have a good recommendation for this, I would be extremely grateful!
    Last edited by Dorian; 25th November 2010 at 03:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommendation for scent (preferred notes included)

Welcome to basenotes dorian, & thanks for a really detailed & well-thought-out introduction!
    You mentioned that you don't mind florals if the base is woody or vanillary, & a lot of your favourites feature jasmine, so l'm going to suggest Guerlain's Samsara; a warm, sultry jasmine with a sandalwood base, & Mugler's Alien; a whopping jasmine note with a woody-ambery base.
    You also appear to like coconut/tiare/tropical notes, so l highly recommend Montale's lntense Tiare; a gorgeously sexy scent with fantastic sillage & longevity.
    Do let us know how you get on!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I'm looking to beat my wallet to death in new ways.

Back to Black By Kilian
    Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    Coromandel by Chanel
    Intrigant Patchouli by Parfumerie Generale
    L'oiseau de nuit by parfumerie generale

Thanks for the recommendations! I never realized just how much jasmine was popping up in my perfumes, I'll have to add that to list.

I ended up trying the Guerlain one the other day and loved it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations! I never realized just how much jasmine was popping up in my perfumes, I'll have to add that to list.

I ended up trying the Guerlain one the other day and loved it.
    Woohoo! So glad you loved it Dorian, do keep us posted on any other loves you discover!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Hello What about try
    PG02 Coze by Parfumerie Generale
    It's the most different of fragrances
    it heavy with patchouli Hemp Tobacco
    Dark Chocolate Smokey nuances
    dark oud it's smells wey out of this world

You need to try Amouage Reflection Man. Yes, it's listed for men, but it's overall odor profile is minty/vanilla + florals.

Also, a lot of the notes you love can be found in L'Instant de Guerlain EdP. I love that scent on a woman!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

yes, guerlain. i would say l' heure bleue, habit rouge, shalimar. and new york by parfums de nicolai (which feels pretty much like a classic guerlain).