Code of Conduct

Default A perfume that smells like creosote?

As a child of the 1970s, I always deeply loved the smell of the garden fences, freshly painted with creosote. Does anyone happen to know of a scent that reminds them strongly of this smell?

For reference, the smokiest perfumes I already have are Bulgari Black, Shalimar (extrait) and Chergui. Probably the Shalimar comes closest with that beautifully complex smokey note but I'd really love to try out some more. I've put this in the male fragrance discussion because I'm guessing if such a scent exists, it's more likely to be marketed at men but I'm interested in either.

Default Re: A perfume that smells like creosote?

This is an easy question to answer - Fahrenheit. I know most people say it smells of Petrol/Gasoline, but for me its always been closer to Turps or Creosote - exactly that 'Treated Garden Fence' smells.

Lonestar Memories could be worth a try, its got a stonking phenolic/smoky section that might fit the bill. True creosote has been banned from IFRA products.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    This is an easy question to answer - Fahrenheit. I know most people say it smells of Petrol/Gasoline, but for me its always been closer to Turps or Creosote - exactly that 'Treated Garden Fence' smells.
    Wow, thanks! I'll stop by Boots on the way home to check it out. How exciting to think there might be something that has this smell!

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Lonestar Memories could be worth a try, its got a stonking phenolic/smoky section that might fit the bill. True creosote has been banned from IFRA products.
    I know The smell of summer gone forever. But maybe its spirit lives on in Lonestar Memories! Thanks for the tip - from past experience, Tauer's stuff is a pig to find here, but I'll keep a sharp eye (nose?) out for it on my travels.
    Last edited by Promethea; 13th May 2010 at 05:51 PM.

I'll second Lonestar Memories and also recommend Le Labo Patchouli 24.

Norma Kamali Incense might work...

Some other possibilities would be Annick Goutal's discontinued Eau du Fier, or two from Comme des Garcons' Synthetics Series - Tar and Garage.
    Knize Ten gets compared to petrol, shoe polish, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Knize Ten gets compared to petrol, shoe polish, and the like.
    I second the motion on Knize Ten - great smoky smell. Also check out Carven's Vetiver Dry or Francesco Smalto PH which both remind me of smoky cork.

This might sound odd, but Fille En Aiguilles has the closest note I've smelled to creosote, just quite a bit sweeter. Think creosote meets treacle, and you'll get the idea.

+3 for Lonestar Memories.

P d Empire's Wazamba might do the trick.

Basenotes Institution

Orris by Tauer. But, since that is discontinued, I would go for the above, Lonestar Memories by Tauer, recommendation.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th May 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Forgive me for butting in here, but I'm not sure Lonestar Memories will hit the spot. There's a very sweet marshmellow note that hits midway... and kinda takes over the joint. Lasts quite a while, covers the great smokiness - and spoils it for me. Creosote? Nah.

Your best bet would be to check out Christopher Brosius' very realistic scent compositions. I don't think he has a creosote one yet, but he does have At the Beach 1966 which contains "a hint of boardwalk" and Ocean/Eternal Return with "wooden ships". And he may well be working on something for release this summer But if not, hey, he's up for a challenge! Email him!

Check out his line here: http://www.cbihateperfume.com/perfume.html
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

Fumerie Turque comes pretty close, with its smoke/tobacco/tar notes. If you combined BB and FT you might have a close approximation.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

The real question is, is there a fragrance that smells like Mr. Creosote?

mr-creosote.jpg

+ 4 for Lonestar Memories.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 13th May 2010 at 09:46 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Fumerie Turque comes pretty close, with its smoke/tobacco/tar notes. If you combined BB and FT you might have a close approximation.

Now, there's an idea...

Fascinating! I'll have to try this out. Good on ya, Actiasluna!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post

mr-creosote.jpg

AH, oui! Eet commences wiz a vairy theen waifair of chocolat accord, an' zen... l'eau du vomi.

Promethea, is it the creosote smokiness you want or will any combination of creosote/phenolic smokiness do? If it's the latter try getting your hands on some birch tar oil or, if you are feeling a little more adventurous, try making it yourself! (it's very simple to make a basic birch tar with a handful of birch bark and a heat source) Careful though, birch tar has been restricted very tightly as it's a cocktail of potential carcinogens and I couldn't recommend wearing it. Wonderful stuff though, like a liquid campfire.

Nicole Miller for Men

Patchouli 24 and Eau du Fier again.
    Onda by Vero Kern too.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Black Jeans. Plays up the tar note from Bulgari Black, but not as acrid as fresh-from-the-can creosote

Lonestar Memories is a good recommendation, though I find it difficult to wear comfortably...however, Tauer's L'air du Desert Marocain definitely also has a touch of that phenolic/smoky/tarry accord, and far more wearable. It's not a literal creosote, but it suggests it rather nicely without making you smell like you've been hugging telephone poles all day.

Gotta love those phenolic notes. Wish more perfumers used them.

Salvador Dali. Tarry, dark, smokey. It reminds of when I was a kid in the '70's. The jungle gyms at local parks were treated with creosote, as were railroad ties and telephone poles. On hot humid days, these things had such a high-pitched phenolic "whine", that it was literally nauseating. The smell always made me sick. Dali is a pretty close approximation, but a little tamer and not nearly as stomach turning. It has that coal tar "tang" like no other.

Something how they used to coat wooden structures, in public parks, with such a carcinogenic substance. I came through it with both testicles and a healthy lymph system.

Frankincense is another substance that can have that creosote feel.
    Last edited by stevolution; 14th May 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Although it is definitely a leather scent, this one is so strong and aromatic, it has always seemed very tarry to me as well and come to think of it, not too unlike creosote. Definitely not for the weak of nose.

Peau d'Espagne (Santa Maria Novella)

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123285.html
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Lonestar Memories is a good recommendation, though I find it difficult to wear comfortably...however, Tauer's L'air du Desert Marocain definitely also has a touch of that phenolic/smoky/tarry accord, and far more wearable. It's not a literal creosote, but it suggests it rather nicely without making you smell like you've been hugging telephone poles all day.

Gotta love those phenolic notes. Wish more perfumers used them.
    I've sent off for samples of Lonestar Memories and L'air du Desert Marocain. The former because so many people have been kind enough to suggest it might be the answer to my creosote-y prayers and the latter because even if it isn't quite what I'm looking for, it sounds so nice anyway.

And Zizanioides, in answer to your question about whether it has to be specific creosote or if other associated phenolic whiffs will do, I think I'm not quite sure. I intend to just work through the list of kind suggestions and see which one makes me go "aha! I have it!". andym72, I had a good go of Fahrenheit and whilst I could totally see what you mean, it reminded me a lot more of petrol than it did creosote. So I guess I learned from that that it's definitely the more unerfined, smokey tarriness I'm after.

Thanks for all the other suggestions too - I'll keep eyes out for them!

I've got Lonestar Memories beat; for an incredibly large amount of birchtar and cade, try Sonoma Scent Studio's Fireside Intense. Tons of tar dripped on top of a throat lozenge.Just too much tar even for a tar lover.

I realised when I was posting my thread about Shalimar that I never updated this one. Sorry! I couldn't find all the scents mentioned but I did find and try out L'air du Desert Marocain, Lonestar Memories and Fille En Aiguilles. (I can never find Fumerie Turque where other Lutens are sold - what's up with that?)

Of the scents mentioned that I could find, Lonestar Memories was definitely the closest. Truthfully, after my glee at first sniff, I did start to find it was wearing me a little rather than the other way around. I did persuade my housemate to give it a go in the hope he'd like it and start wearing it around the house but he rejected it after a test drive too. I do like sniffing the little sample bottle though!

I thought L'air du Desert Marocain was nice but in some ways seemed to my nose to be a less pure idea of Lonestar Memories. Also, I didn't find the drydown was to my taste. I utterly adored Fille En Aiguilles, though. It smelled like burning Chistmas tree! I intend to one day buy a bottle just 'cos it smells so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Promethea View Post
    ............For reference, the smokiest perfumes I already have are Bulgari Black, Shalimar (extrait) and Chergui. Probably the Shalimar comes closest with that beautifully complex smokey note but I'd really love to try out some more....
    Le Labo Patchouli 24

I've heard good things along these lines about Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia, too, although I haven't tried it myself yet. CdG Tar is very much worth a try too, as well as their Series Leaves: Tea, if you can find it - it may have been discontinued, not sure if they offed the entire series or just a few of them, but it's worth seeking out. Extremely smoky, tea as in Lapsang Souchong.

DeepSilence

Encre Noir !!

I can't really say I've ever smelled a creosote/tar dominated fragrance....but perhaps try Bvlgari Black and Lonestar Memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    LOL

A'men focused almost exclusively on the wafer thin chocolate mint...minimal creosote/tar. Plus bile, quail eggs....that's a task....

Under Control

I think Kolnisch Juchten by Regence has a distinct creosote type smell that becomes warm leather.
    Eau du Fier by Goutal also has this same creosote darkness but evolves into black tea and smoke.

I don't think I have ever smelled a close cousin even to the creosote that I am thinking of, Climbing on old stacks of telephone poles when I was a kid in Texas. That smell of all the wood logs soaked in dripping creosote baking in the hot Texas sun, hunting rattlesnakes with bb guns. That smell is very distinct in my head and never have smelled anything like it myself.

It would be pretty interesting I think to have something even close to that smell.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”