Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on wardrobe

Don't know if this has been done yet. Go on it'll be fun you can go as many times as you want. This will encourage people to fill out their wardrobe and give people suggestions at the same time on new purchases.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

Default Re: Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on wardrobe

ctran019: Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    Last edited by andym72; 24th November 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Spelling

For Mr. Ctran019, Serge Lutens Chergui. Looks to me like you're moving into a more spicy, adventuresome direction. A good addition to any wardrobe.

For Mr. andym72, I recommend Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille. It's a classic cologne that still remains fresh, high-quality, and fashion-relevant. It would play off the more modern elements in your wardrobe very well. Relatively inexpensive, too.

I don't post my wardrobe (it's too big, I'm too lazy to catalogue it), but you can take a look at some of my posts to get an idea of what I like and wear. I'm thinking I need another super/spicy/rich oriental, top of the line quality. What would you recommend?
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 24th November 2010 at 12:47 AM.

Jubilation XXV
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Jubilation XXV
    Right on! Exactly what I had in mind. Perfect. Thank you!

For Mr. SculptureOfSoul, you might want to try Roger Gallet Open. That would be a good fit. I heard it's been discontinued. You'll want to snatch up a vintage bottle anyway.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 24th November 2010 at 01:04 AM.

It's not the spiciest but it sure is super and rich! Another suggestion that is very sweet and yet spicy, very rich and truly indulgent, with gourmand tones throughout, is Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain. Absolutely amazing scent. Another that I've heard good things about that sounds like it might fit the bill is Back to Black by Kilian.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's not the spiciest but it sure is super and rich! Another suggestion that is very sweet and yet spicy, very rich and truly indulgent, with gourmand tones throughout, is Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain. Absolutely amazing scent. Another that I've heard good things about that sounds like it might fit the bill is Back to Black by Kilian.
    More good insights. I am dying to try TI Guerlain; about to buy blind, if I can find an acceptable price. It seems right up my alley. Back to Black - I'm beginning to like it. I've only sampled a few times, but yeah, I could see a little growing attraction there. There's a lot in Kilian that I'm temped by. Most likely one of my next lines to explore.

All good recommendations. Thanks!

Hit me up with a suggestion, someone. If you want, go off of my top ten list in my signature.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

l'occitane eau des baux
    a balanced spice incense thing. I think you will like at least.

oh, I have no wardrobe either. soo.. I'm thinking of getting a bitter green floral. maybe that helps?

Sculptureof Soul: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens, Vetiver Tonka by Hermes, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle =)

L'Essence Must de Cartier pour Homme for Mr. Volley2. You'll love Cartier's take on spicy Oriental. Seems like a good fit with the rest of your superb wardrobe.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 24th November 2010 at 02:17 AM.

Thank you mrcologneguy....will definitely check that one out!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    l'occitane eau des baux
    a balanced spice incense thing. I think you will like at least.

oh, I have no wardrobe either. soo.. I'm thinking of getting a bitter green floral. maybe that helps?
    I get some bitterness, almost like dandelion sap, in the development of the very green floral Fleur de Liane by L'Artisan. It's worth a sniff!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

DeepSilence

@All
    Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme. Very great opening. and drying down is similar to M7, IMO. but more exciting. Give it a try.

Drakkar Noir. A green spicy fragrance.
    Bijan Black. i like it
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 24th November 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    Kenzo Jungle Pour Homme. Very great opening. and drying down is similar to M7, IMO. but more exciting. Give it a try.
    You need some more niche mate =) Start with Montale - Black Aoud !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    You need some more niche mate =) Start with Montale - Black Aoud !
    Thank you.

OMG - how about a couple you can at least try locally:

Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche; and

Van Cleef and Arpel's Cologne Noir from their Collection Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Dr_Rudi: Chergui!

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Dr_Rudi: Chergui!
    I'm fond of Chergui - if only I could afford it!

Blog Entries

For Neurosis - It looks like you like your scents rich and sweet. I think you might be a great candidate for the legendary Musk Ravageur... I also thought of Creed Original Santal, but I see you've tried it but not rated it yet. OS is my favorite rich, sweet frag. You also may really like Guerlain L'Instant pour Homme - it's a good combination of sweet, spicy vanilla and rich green and tobacco elements.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Rogalal might find satisfaction in some of the Amouage line. Especially Jubilation XXV, which headlines my wishlist
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Hmmm - I'm not very good at keeping track, short attention span

SOS most definitely needs to try Cologne du Parfumeur (but you knew that already) and everybody needs to try Histoires de Parfums 1725 I reckon

I suspect HdP 1969 might also please those in more gourmand / oriental mode.

@ Mr Reasonable

It's tough recommending a fragrance to someone with such a diverse & impressive wardrobe but I'll try.

By Kilian - A Taste of Heaven

If you rate Nicolai pour Homme to be a 5 star frag (which it is IMHO) I assume you'd love this one.

@ Jathanas - Chanel Coromandel & Floris Vetiver

@ Mr. Reasonable - Boss Selections & Baldessarini Concentrate

@ SOS - Montale Black Oudh - open up your eyes to this creamy rose heaven. just get past the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    For Mr. andym72, I recommend Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille. It's a classic cologne that still remains fresh, high-quality, and fashion-relevant. It would play off the more modern elements in your wardrobe very well. Relatively inexpensive, too.
    Hahaha. Thank you. This is either incredible insight, or someone has been sneaking a look at my wish list

@ Jenson

OK I'll play.

Bois d'Iris (VC&A Extraordinaire Collection) - Iris & Woods
    Lumiere Noire - Patch & Rose

Hey, I'll play too

@andym72, after checking out your wardrobe, I'd reccomend you Givenchy Xeryus Rouge, Trussardi L'Uomo and Lalique Encre Noir

Hi, I'm really new to this, so hope the person beneath me can make a rec for whoever still needs one above.

I know my wardrobe is really limited (essentially gifts over the years), but I wonder which of the scents would be best for winter. I realize they are all more summery, and frankly I don't especially like any of them, but if you can give me an idea of what in my wardrobe would be least bad for the winter season while I'm working on trying out and buying a few new ones, that would be great. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    Hi, I'm really new to this, so hope the person beneath me can make a rec for whoever still needs one above.

I know my wardrobe is really limited (essentially gifts over the years), but I wonder which of the scents would be best for winter. I realize they are all more summery, and frankly I don't especially like any of them, but if you can give me an idea of what in my wardrobe would be least bad for the winter season while I'm working on trying out and buying a few new ones, that would be great. Thanks so much!

How does one recommend a fragrance for the person based on the wardrobe, if you don't have a god dam wordrobe or a list of the fragrances you've gotten as gifts ?

I recommend Acqua di Million ( Acqua di gio + 1 million ) mixed for winter as you get both aspects of the seasons all in one.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Good thread, ctran019.

Btw I see you have quite a no. of fresh scents. So I won't recommend another. Instead, perhaps you might wish to expand your wardrobe and build in a little more versatility with something more urbane and edgy like Bulgari Black.

Habanita or Habit Rouge, definitively, not only for alliterative reasons!

Acqua di Parma Profumo.

Pimpinett:

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's (Bertrand Duchaufour, 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Hahaha. Thank you. This is either incredible insight, or someone has been sneaking a look at my wish list
    No way! What a laff. Didn't see your wish list. Amazing.

I am now concentrating on winning lottery numbers. Shhhh, quiet, I'm concentrating. . . I'll let you know if it works.

Very nice thread. I have a big, but not too big wardrobe, so it'll be a tough job

Reminiscent, Xeryus Rouge, Lancome Hypnose

mrcologneguy, can't see your 'drobe

Zgb, maybe Havana Aramis?

Zgb has so much coincidences with my wardrobe. Check mine dude, i think we get about 15 or more coincidences.

So what i like you will like, and vice-versa.

So i will recommend 2 of my favorites that you not have:

Fleur du Male.
    Silver Scent.

Ops Larimar came before me, so i will recommend Larimar too.

Larimar looks like prefer classic ones, so i will recommend 2:

Bois du Portugal
    Green Irish Tweed

Reminiscent, I've been thinking of ordering a sample, that settles it. Thank you.

Youth Dew and Etro Gomma for Larimar.

Coco maybe, since you like angel and no 5.

No recommendations for me?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    No recommendations for me?
    Here you go... Chergui, because you love Le Male and that was my first step in the niche world

Coco is nice!

d4N13L , something a little quirkier, perhaps? Bvlgari Black.

Hmmm, Pimpinett... funnily, I concluded a few days ago that Youth Dew was probably not my style. I'll reconsider it
    How about Enslaved (because you love Habanita) and Portrait of a Lady (it was very spicy and quite woody-smoky on me) for you? Tabac Blond?

Youth Dew is a beast, especially the EdP, but it's a glorious animal. How about Keiko Mecheri Oliban, Diptyque Eau Lente and Rochas Femme?

Tabac Blond I know I should try - I suspect I could order that one blind without risking disaster - will have to try Enslaved and I'm curious about Portrait of a Lady, too. Thank you!

... >

Zgb has so much coincidences with my wardrobe. Check mine dude, i think we get about 15 or more coincidences.

So what i like you will like, and vice-versa.

So i will recommend 2 of my favorites that you not have:

Fleur du Male.
    Silver Scent.
    I gave a negative review on Fleur du Male but I've tried it only on paper. I might change opinion drastically if I try it on skin

Silver Scent, hear of it for the first time, went to check it here, it has quite a few negative reviews.

@Larimar, I'd really like to try Havana but alas they don't have it on cheapsmells. I'm very curious and if I like a hobby, as I do, I sometimes do blindbuys, so if fragrancex has Havana, I might blindbuy it, or mayhaps they have a sample

Yeah man, but Joop has more negative than positive, and we like it right?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNerd View Post
    ... >
    Seems that you like gourmands man.

Try Le Male Terrible, you will like it!

Seems that you like gourmands man.

Try Le Male Terrible, you will like it!
    You need some aquatics my good man!

Nautica Voyage
    Polo Blue
    Bulgari Aqua/Aqua Marine

Yeah man, but Joop has more negative than positive, and we like it right?
    well noticed!

maybe Hermessence Vetiver Tonka by Hermes

d4n13L: L'instant de Guelain Pour Homme, Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens, Silver Mountain Water by Creed

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNerd View Post
    ... >
    Rating that you gave to your fragrances was amazing! I confused a bit.
    Terre D'Hermes
    Must De Cartier
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 24th November 2010 at 03:41 PM.

For DeepSilence, I`d recommend:

Tom Ford Oud Wood (or Surrati Tom Oudh if you want an affordable alternative)
    Pascal Morabito Or Black
    Chanel Coromandel
    Dior Jules
    Eau de Guerlain
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

@rickbr, I was going to recommend Hermes Vetiver Tonka because you don't have much vetiver and you might enjoy the sweeter aspect of that particular vetiver - and because it is an Hermes that you don't own But I see you have tried it already.

So I say try PG Cadjmere - soft, creamy woods that sits right about semi-gourmand.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    @rickbr, I was going to recommend Hermes Vetiver Tonka because you don't have much vetiver and you might enjoy the sweeter aspect of that particular vetiver - and because it is an Hermes that you don't own But I see you have tried it already.

So I say try PG Cadjmere - soft, creamy woods that sits right about semi-gourmand.
    Hi Cello! Your vetiver recommendations was spot-on, since i love vetiver fragrances. I have already owned a 15ml size of vetiver tonka, now i only have a 4ml one. At this moment i have guerlain`s vetiver, a mini of vetiver carven and decants of sycomore and coeur de vetiver sacre. But i do have difficulties in updating my collection, so it`s not totattly updated here.

Cadjmere i have never tried, but semi-gourmand is something that i appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    You need some aquatics my good man!

Nautica Voyage
    Polo Blue
    Bulgari Aqua/Aqua Marine
    Hey, im already thinking in get a Polo Blue, but the lasting of RL is sooooo short....

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    d4n13L: L'instant de Guelain Pour Homme, Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens, Silver Mountain Water by Creed
    L'instant ive seen sooo many recommendations, maybe i will get it!
    And Anything from Creed i will try to get, i only own GIT (heavenly)

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Hi Cello! Your vetiver recommendations was spot-on, since i love vetiver fragrances. I have already owned a 15ml size of vetiver tonka, now i only have a 4ml one. At this moment i have guerlain`s vetiver, a mini of vetiver carven and decants of sycomore and coeur de vetiver sacre. But i do have difficulties in updating my collection, so it`s not totattly updated here.

Cadjmere i have never tried, but semi-gourmand is something that i appreciate.
    Its hard to recommend to rick, he already own A LOT!!
    But Amor Tentation Pour Homme by Cacharel deserves a try, veeeeery good!

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post

At look at yout wardrobe - loved your scents. You're almost my scent twin!

For you, i'd recommend more irises to your collection. Bois d'Iris from Van Cleef & Arpels is delicious. I have an impression that you'll enjoy traversee du bosphore, keiko mecheri paname, serge lutens fille en aiguilles, and so one. But you already have a nice collection

Its hard to recommend to rick, he already own A LOT!!
    But Amor Tentation Pour Homme by Cacharel deserves a try, veeeeery good!
    I almost bought this one a time ago at a sale, but then i saw the negative reviews and ended giving up.
    Well, i'd recommend you more annick goutals. They may not be so intense, but they are classy options for wearing at summer. I'd recommend you Vetiver, Duel and Les Nuits de Hadrien.