Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on their wardrobe

I love all the fabulous suggestions being thrown out there, very exciting. I am so intrigued by the one made for me, thanks Hillaire, but it seems impossible to locate. I did find out that it is named after this beautiful stone, which I am also coveting a necklace made from now.

I also have to comment on the longevity of Sous le Vent. Great re-edition, horrible wear; no sillage, fades away quickly, disappears in less than 1.5 hours on me. Should have been released in an extrait version.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Default Re: Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on their wardrobe

Hi brielle87!

There is probably very little you have not tried already, so I am going to recommend a french inspired fragrance from a perfume house in Galway, Ireland - Cloon Keen Atelier - Bataille de Fleurs.

http://www.cloonkeenatelier.com

According to the website Bataille de Fleurs is named after the French carnival along the Promenade des Anglais, which has been celebrated every year since 1876. At this Carnival, mimosas are thrown from flower adorned floats while the crowd battle for the precious bouquets. The perfumer is Stephanie Bakouche.

This is cloon keen atelier's first perfume. I love their candles and I am currently curled up on my sofa with their 'exotic woods' candle - heaven!

thank you all for the pretty game !

Galwaygirl for you some orientals with flower wood and spice :

Spellbound (Estee Lauder) - quite powerful but the drydown is worth waiting for imho.

and

Pepper Jasmine Gaiac wood (Korres) - this one is delicious and made with as many naturals as possible. as soon as it got here (from a blind online buy) I ordered a back bottle. I hope you get a chance to taste it.
    Last edited by Laureline; 9th August 2011 at 01:35 AM.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Hillaire

MB02 by biehl for Laureline...

Blog Entries

Wow Hillaire, with a collection the size of yours it's very hard to think of something, but...

l don't see Shalimar or Mitsouko on your "tried" list? l think you might like vintage Magie Noire if you get a chance to try it.
    Also, how about some more ambers; l recommend Tom Ford's Amber Absolute & Ambra Aurea by Profumum.

Thanks Laureline for resurrecting this thread, it's such fun!
    l wonder how many people tried the fragrances that were recommended for them? Thanks to Daniel, l purchased a bottle of Cinema & it's one of my "go-to" perfumes for cooler weather. l've got a sample of Sweet Oriental Dream (which l haven't tried yet) due to Warum's rec. l also tried to get a sample of Fifi Chachnil due to rtamara's rec, but for some reason it wasn't available when l made my last Luckyscent order. lt's still on my test list, though!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

thank you Teardrop but no, the honnor is not for me but for GalwayGirl who brought the game thread back !

it is so interesting indeed, one can learn a lot and it weaves a little bit (more) of interest for each other

thanks Hillaire for the recommendation : Marc Buxton hey (I wore CDG2 for a few years some time ago, when I owned only 2 scents at a time) and with the florals that I wear best and with a blending I must yet discover, that of Biehl ! wow I hope I can get a sample soon !!

now is Teardrop turn !
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laureline View Post
    thank you Teardrop but no, the honnor is not for me but for GalwayGirl who brought the game thread back !
    Oops! Sorry galwaygirl, my thanks to you!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

I recommend that Teardrop tries Bendelerious by Etat Libre d'Orange.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I wonder whether Candy Perfume Boy has ever tried Malle's Lipstick Rose.

I wonder if Larimar has ever tried Miss Dior?

Thanks Laureline!

I will try spellbound, it isn't one I'd ever have thought of by myself! Pepper Jasmine Gaiac wood (Korres) is one I had been looking for a sample of when I ordered such perfumed court samples, but it didn't seem to be listed on their site - you have inspired me to track it down elsewhere, it sounds lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Laureline View Post
    thank you all for the pretty game !

Galwaygirl for you some orientals with flower wood and spice :

Spellbound (Estee Lauder) - quite powerful but the drydown is worth waiting for imho.

and

Pepper Jasmine Gaiac wood (Korres) - this one is delicious and made with as many naturals as possible. as soon as it got here (from a blind online buy) I ordered a back bottle. I hope you get a chance to taste it.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Oops! Sorry galwaygirl, my thanks to you!
    You are welcome, Teardrop! I love these interactive threads - newbies like me can learn so much from the more experienced perfumistas like yourself!

ineespenes, I feel very much at home with your collection/WL/TL. I also saw you had Tubereuse Criminelle on your Test List, and all I can say is: get that sample now! I´m on my last drops of my decant and this is probably my next full bottle purchase. So weird and yet so wearable!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Hi pelle, I think you could possibly fall for Neil Morris' Gandhara and Caron's Pois de Senteur.

Blog Entries

Larimar, l notice you like a few leathers; l wonder if you might like Robert Piguet's Bandit?

Also worth trying just for fun; Antaeus & Kouros!

l also don't see any Tom Fords on your tried list; how about Black Orchid, or Black Violet which IMO leans more towards the "masculine" side?

Blog Entries

Wow teardrop! I just scrolled through the 219 fragrances that you have tried, so I see you have tried much of what I would suggest. First, I think you might want to take that Carnal Flower off your wish list and help it find it's way over to your wardrobe. Also based on your love of florals, I might suggest trying Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris (I have never tried it myself) which is supposedly like a modern Shalimar (!?!)...let me think about this for a minute...I'll think of another one. Have you tried Une Rose by FM?

ps it is very helpful that you have the ratings included on the Tried list. *very helpful*
    Last edited by Fleurine; 11th August 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

hi fleurine, noticed a few leathers there. Why not try: Lanvin Scandal, Cabochard or Diorling

And why dont you try chanel no 5's sunnier sister: Chanel no. 22?

I have coco too and I find comfort in it as I do in Annick Goutal Grand Amour

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Wow teardrop! I just scrolled through the 219 fragrances that you have tried, so I see you have tried much of what I would suggest. First, I think you might want to take that Carnal Flower off your wish list and help it find it's way over to your wardrobe. Also based on your love of florals, I might suggest trying Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris (I have never tried it myself) which is supposedly like a modern Shalimar (!?!)...let me think about this for a minute...I'll think of another one. Have you tried Une Rose by FM?

ps it is very helpful that you have the ratings included on the Tried list. *very helpful*
    Thanks Fleurine! Ah yes, Carnal Flower, some day soon it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.....
    l haven't tried Fleur Oriental or Une Rose, but both sound nice, thanks!

WhiteRoses, welcome to basenotes! Your turn next, can you show your wardrobe please so we can recommend something for you?

Hi Basenote parfumistas,

I'm a newbie and the only perfumes that I have liked so far are Amarige, and an old Dolce Vita and Paloma Picasso that belonged to my mother. I think my taste would be what's now old-fashioned classy, longlasting and intriguing.
    I know that you guys are pretty awesome, so, based on that, can anybody give me suggestions?
    I'm open to try anything (Except I'm not sure how I would get hold of vintage and that type of stuff?).

Okay angel -here's my suggestions for you .
    Based on Amarige-(Tuberose dominant fragrance) I suggest Kim Kardashian,Fracas,Oscar,Georgio, Poison (original not flankers),Coty Sand&Sable ,Guerlain's Mahora is nice too.
    Based on Dolce Vita -(Woodsy floral)you may like Midnight Poison,Elle,With Love Hilary Duff,Cabaret.
    Based on Paloma Picasso-(classic Rose Chypre)Estee Lauder Knowing,Paloma Picasso,Diva byUngaro,La Perla La Perla
    Edit : OOPs ! Nearly forgot -Aromatics Elixir by Clinique!

sorry for the trouble. made my wardrobe visible. Thanks =)

WhiteRoses, have you tried Chanel Bois des Iles? It sounds almost logical to me.

Larimar! Good morning!

I see you never tried any Dior fragrances (this can´t be true!?)? I recommend that you try Fahrenheit - to me it shares some aspects with La Myrrhe (that you love), especially a mushroom note in the beginning. I have only worn vintage Fahrenheit so I can´t speak of the newer ones...

Also try Diorama! I believe my sample is from the current (but still hard to get) release and it is pure heaven. It have some of Roudnitska´s trademark "dirty" spices, and that might not suit you(?) but still - it would sit nicely next to your other unisex female classics!

Pelle

My swap thread

pelle,

This is hard as you have much more experience than me, but looking at your wardrobe woody or balsamic fragrances seem to interest you, so here goes!

My first suggestion would be Absolue Pour Le Soir (2010) Infusion of benzoin from Siam, cumin, ylang-ylang, Bulgarian and Iranian rose honey, incense absolute, Atlas cedarwood and sandalwood.

Gloria by Cacharel. The opening is ambery floral, composed of hibiscus, Bulgarian rose, amaretto and amber. The warm heart blends white pepper, vanilla and amber. The end note is woodsy-balzamic with a gourmand touch of almond and cherry. I also get tobacco in it, but it isn't listed in the notes.

Have you tried Organza Indecence - A non-floral scent with notes of Cinnamon, Jacara Wood, Patchouli, Musk and Amber. Might be too vanilla orientated for you though.

Basenotes Plus

galwaygirl001 Wow- this is a lot tougher to do than it sounds!

ambers- Anne Pliska, Histoires des Parfums Ambre114,
    spice- Mauboussin
    a leather- Strass by Soprani, Cuir de Lancome
    try YSL Nu and Barbara Bui since you like Organza Indecence
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thank you knit at nite,

Nu & Ambre 114 have been added to my 'must sample' list.

As you are a Guerlain fan, and you enjoy Coco - have you tried Bois d’Arménie? Notes include pink pepper, iris, rose, coriander, benzoin, Indonesian patchouli, incense, precious woods, musk and balsams.

As you like fragrances with some animalic notes you might like le labo labdanum 18 - it's mix of animalic and powder notes over the resinoid base.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

galwaygirl001 you are going to get another go at it. I am going to recommend Jicky Edt to you as I see it isn't listed in your "Tried" category.

I find it to be a deliciously lavender, citrus, vanillic, animalic (et al) fragrance of superior composition that is an absolute show stopper. I personally think every Basenoter should wear it at least a few times in their fragrance life.
    Last edited by kbe; 14th August 2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Given the vastness of your wardrobe it's difficult to know what to suggest. I'm going to go for Parfumerie Generale's Corps Et Ames, given the number of classic and obscure chypres in your collections. It is an odd bird in the gourmandy PG collection; leathery, dry, slightly woody chypre with a touch of rose. Passes many classic-chypre lovers by, but it's great.

Hillaire

I have another one for you, Suga. It's Botrytis by Ginestet. It's a perfumey favorite gourmand, very rich but not cakey or too synth caramelly.
    Also, have you smelled Gaiac by M.Micallef?

Blog Entries

Oops, we missed out bookwyrmsmith (way back at post #80)! So, as l've already attempted some recs for Hillaire...

Bookwyrmsmith, your collection is huge & so varied, but l noticed you like quite a few florals. Therefore l'll recommend to you Beyond Love by By Kilian; IMO one of the very best tuberoses, & Tubereuse Couture by Parfumerie Generale; tuberose with a crisp, masculine edge. You may like Debut by Delrae; a complex & very green floral, & for a rose fragrance, Crystal Flowers by Montale.
    Oh & l just thought of Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder, & Jasmine White Moss (an elegant modern chypre-floral), both from the Private Collection series. Ok, l'll stop there!

I have a few recs, most of them niche, based on your wardrobe.

LezNez Manoumalia
    Miss Marisa Tropical perfume oil (this is a simple but well done/not cloying frag)
    Satellite Ipanema - I think you would love this
    Kai perfume - you've probably tried this but if not, you must
    Calvin Klein Escape

Thoughts?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    I have a few recs, most of them niche, based on your wardrobe.

LezNez Manoumalia
    Miss Marisa Tropical perfume oil (this is a simple but well done/not cloying frag)
    Satellite Ipanema - I think you would love this
    Kai perfume - you've probably tried this but if not, you must
    Calvin Klein Escape

Thoughts?
    Thanks, LedByMyNose!

l have tried, & loved, Manoumalia; there's a strong possibility l will be purchasing this at some point!
    l tried & liked Kai, but it couldn't compete with Tuberose Gardenia, my favourite gardenia fragrance.
    l haven't tried the Miss Marisa, but l considered it when l bought a few tropical samples from lndiescents recently. lt sounded just a little too fruity for me?
    l haven't looked into the Satellite one, l'll go look that up in the directory!
    l recall sniffing Escape back in the '90's; l remember it as a quite pleasant marine-aquatic scent. Perhaps l'll give it another sniff next time l'm in town!

LedByMyNose's turn, people!

Teardrop, I just looked for the Ipanema at Lucjyscent and they seem to have run out. I have a couple of bottles, if I can get my hands on some little empty vials (where can I get these? does The Perfumed Court sell them?) I can send you a sample. Given your tastes, I really think you need to sniff it! You have Virgin Island Water in your wardrobe, which I liked as well, but I liked Ipanema a lot more.

Manoumalia is also on my FB list right now, should be purchasing soon, I loooove it, very well done, not sickly or sweet but definitely humid and tropical.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

LedByMyNose, you could try Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris. I admit I haven't tried it though, but it seems like something you might enjoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Teardrop, I just looked for the Ipanema at Lucjyscent and they seem to have run out. I have a couple of bottles, if I can get my hands on some little empty vials (where can I get these? does The Perfumed Court sell them?) I can send you a sample. Given your tastes, I really think you need to sniff it! You have Virgin Island Water in your wardrobe, which I liked as well, but I liked Ipanema a lot more.

Manoumalia is also on my FB list right now, should be purchasing soon, I loooove it, very well done, not sickly or sweet but definitely humid and tropical.
    Thanks LedByMyNose, l have sent you a PM!

Will have a think about LadyDragonFire later if no-one else gets there first!

Blog Entries

LadyDragonFire, l just realised you have not displayed your wardrobe, please do so & we can make recommendations for you!

A belated welcome to basenotes, by the way!

I'm really sorry...I'm brand new to this site so I'm not sure why you can't see my wardrobe. I actually did list all my perfumes in there. (and hopefully just about everything I've ever tried. I may have missed some of those lol!) I checked my settings to see if my wardrobe was private but I can't see anything saying that so I assumed you should be able to see it.

Blog Entries

That's ok! Click on "settings" in the top right-hand corner of this page, then click "edit profile" on the left-hand side. Scroll down to "Show wardrobe in posts" & select "Yes", then click "save" at the bottom of the page. Et voila! You will then see a bottle symbol below your avatar in each of your posts, which we can click on to see your wardrobe.

Okay I fixed it. Sorry about that!

Blog Entries

Thanks, no need to apologise!

l see you've tried & liked a couple of Chanels, & you also like some white florals, so l recommend you try Allure & No.5 Eau Premiere.
    l also think you might like Dior Addict, & every girl should try Shalimar! lf you find you're not keen on it, consider the lighter Eau de Shalimar, or the new Shalimar Parfum lnitial.

Hope you love at least one of these!

Teardrop, for you I would suggest Le parfum de Therese, Nahema and Moksha.

Fracas
    Iris
    Angel
    Narcisso Rodriguez
    Opium

I accidentally posted my favorites. I would recommend to you Cartier Delices!!

Hi Leociccone, I would recommend Penhaligon's Endymion

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

Hillaire

jPhx, you must try Micallef's Mon Parfum!

But for a more 'ready' addition to your fabulous collection, I recommend Balenciaga Talisman.

And to the next kind soul, please overlook me and offer jPhx another rec.

Cheers

queen of the universe

for petruccijc????
    OKsoFine, how on earth am I to recommend a frag to the man who really does have everything???? And me such a novice?
    Do I go counterintuitive and recommend a jog in hot weather followed a most cursory shower with Zum's frankincencse and myrrh soap, just enough to get a one-and-only-you soap and sweat accord going?

Is that what I do?
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

jujy54 - I suggest Escada's 'Moon Sparkle'

For Debbborra...Violette in Love by Parfums de Nicolai/A la Nuit by Serge Lutens/Bois des Iles by Chanel

jPhx: I see Armani Privé Bois d´Encens already is on your to-test-list - now just let´s do it! I think you´ll love it based on your wardrobe ratings. Also try Czech & Speake Dark Rose - incense and rose blended to perfection and pretty different from Messe de Minuit and Parfum Sacré...

vintage*red - one word for you: Dior´s Diorama! Spicy, leathery, rosy and dark, but at the same time bright and oh so beautiful! Rather vintage and my favourite from the old time Dior Chypres, but beauty never goes out of style...
    Last edited by pelle; 4th October 2011 at 06:07 PM.

My swap thread

Basenotes Member

For vintage*red, I would suggest Azuree, a leather gem that inexpensive, widely available, and still not widely worn. Also Palisander from Comme des Garcons Red series is a beautiful woody scent.

**editing to add: I hadn't seen pelle's post before I posted mine - don't skip over him!**

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    jujy54 - I suggest Escada's 'Moon Sparkle'
    Floral fruity, eh? It sounds summery, so I will have to either wait until next year or pack my bags....
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Floral fruity, eh? It sounds summery, so I will have to either wait until next year or pack my bags....
    how about People of the Labyrinths A.maze?

adruebb99 - I suggest Bvlgari Eau De Vert. If you love Sur Le Toit I think you'll like this!

Thanks so much. I will give it a try!

Wow. (my collection is so little!) Vintage Red appears to enjoy spices, orange blossom and vanilla so the first thing that jumped to mind was Guess by Marciano. Not a classic perhaps, but comfortable to wear and elicets compliments from both sexes.
    ~ Leilah

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful." ~Agnes De Mille

Leilahdancer - may i suggest Marc Jacobs for Women and Escale A Pondichery by Dior. If you like Beyond Paradise/J'adore/Green Tea I think you'll love both of those!

Leociccone, according to your wardrobe, I ll sugest you to try CDG 8 88. Also, I ll encourage you to go for TF Tobacco vanille. I see that you like Hermes perfumes, the reason why I ll recommend Hermes Eau des Meveilles.

Sneki, if you enjoy Cuir de Lancome, you would really like Parfum D'Empire's Cuir Ottoman.

unregistered,

Looking at your wardrobe, I think you might like Ormonde Jayne tolu.

Galwaygirl, for the reason you love woods, I think you would fancy Shalimar (sandalwood), Dolce Vita (cedar) and Madness (rosewood).