Code of Conduct

Default Scents with which you have an on/off relationship?

Are there any scents which you love enough to wear daily, but then you suddenly lose interest in them as you try other scents?

This has happened to one of my best loved scents, Concentre D'Orange Verte. I thought I would never go without it, but I recently decided I would take a break from it in favor of trying other scents. I know I'll go back to it eventually, as it remains one of my all time favorites, but I find myself surprised that I was able to run out and not hurry to order more. (Instead, I just bought a bunch of other stuff.)

I hope this isn't the olfactory equivalent of "let's see other people." Because I love CDOV! I just want to try other things.

Anyone else have this type of on/off relationship with a scent? I'm curious to know if this has happened to others, and if so, what was the outcome.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Scents with which you have an on/off relationship?

Actually this happens to me all the time. I get tired of over-worn favorites and switch off to other favorites for a while, but eventually I come full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Actually this happens to me all the time. I get tired of over-worn favorites and switch off to other favorites for a while, but eventually I come full circle.
    I have to agree with Roses on this. I go for a period of wearing something (or a particular note, such as orange blossom or tobacco) and then get tired of it, then I rotate around, also coming full circle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes, I am guessing that this is quite common. I'm mostly curious as to which scents, and whether you have fallen out of love with any completely.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Too many to mention, misscasey...in fact seasonal rotations are part of this phenomenon.

As to whether I have ever stopped wearing a beloved scent, yes, but for specific reasons, such as associating a scent too closely with poignant memories. JC Coriandre is one such, but I still have some of it, and dab it on now and then to smell it. But I don't really wear it any more.

And of course there are those that belong to a certain phase of our lives. I don't still wear most of the fragrances from my teens and early 20s.

There are other fragrances I have bought and then realized I did not care much for after all, but that is different.

Hm. I know what you mean about the close association with memories. That's a good point to bring up- that and the seasonal aspect.

Well, I appreciate your input.

This is very normal dear.

Does one eat Chinese cuisine everyday without tiring?

Variety is the spice of life.

for swap/sale:

queen of the universe

This for me is most noticeable with L'Heure Bleue. Sometimes I can barely stand the thought of it, and other times nothing else will do. I think it is because LHB is such a distinctive fragrance, and some of its notes must be emotionally resonant for me. otoh, Antilope has become my go-to fragrance. Its drydown is pure perfection on my skin.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Mitsouko and I have a bit of an on/off relationship. I still don't quite like vintage Mitsouko but the new extrait. It's all about this glorious peach set against a modernized green chypré background, but then, sometimes the peach is a bit much for me... Either way, I like/appreciate her a lot, but I will never love her from the bottom of my heart, I think.

Blog Entries

Well for me, i usually go through this love/hate thing. When I buy a new fragrance, i'll wear it for two weeks straight without wearing anything else. At the end of that time, i will be absolutely sick of the fragrance. Later I will visit it again, rediscover it, wear it again str8 for two weeks, and then repeat the cycle LOL. I think u get the picture.

No. 5 and Shalimar over half my life now, and Angel in more recent years. It isn't just getting tired of wearing the same fragrance often, but a love/hate thing. In the case of no.5 and Shalimar I know by now that love will always return. I'm not as convinced about Angel.

For most of my life, I bought only one bottle at a time and used it until it was gone. Then, if I loved it, I bought the same again. Signature Fragrance. But once I changed, I left the old SF behind and rarely revisited. White Linen was my SF for a long time, and I currently don't own any. But I may buy some someday for old time's sake.

Its not so much a particular scent as it is a collection. Niches - sometimes i cant get enough but there are times (like now) that i cant stomach the idea/ It is a very weird phenomenon.

This happens a lot - I think it's unavoidable when you have more than a handful of fragrances you personally love to bits. I'm always asking myself "why don't I wear this much anymore?" and the answer is never "because I don't like it anymore" but "because I've been enjoying these others that I asked the same question about last week!"

There are a handful in my collection about which I do seem to be rather fickle, and they all seem to be the super-sweet ones, like Pink Sugar, Keiko Mecher's Loukhoum, or Jessica Simpon's Fancy. I suppose they scratch some itch I occasionally get, but not often enough for me to want to wear them on a very regular basis. I think Insolence falls into this category too - it's just too much for me to wear consistently, but I'd never get rid of it - I really do love it, most of the time. I suppose "too rich" or "too dense" might be another thing that keeps my from reaching for something. Une Rose is like this for me, so I wear it less frequently than I had imagined I would when I was still coveting a bottle of it, but when I'm in the right mood nothing else will do.

But for true on again/off again relationships, maybe some of my old favorites that I tend to revisit for a while before I move on to another old favorite ...so I'm really trying to keep them in a rotation, but they're not, for the most part, really ever part of my regular rotation for more than a few weeks. Halston is one of these. Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue are also in this group, come to think of it. VCA's First, Patou's 1000 and Sublime, Rive Gauche, Paris, Vivre, (okay, now I'm on a roll, lol!) Azurée, Chloé, Miss Balmain, Pavolva, Ivoire, Rose Cardin, Jolie Madame, Youth Dew, Lauren, Safari, Tuxedo, Loulou ...and many others, each of which I once had a "relationship" with, but have been neglected because there are simply not enough days in the week to give them the attention they deserve.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Definitely most scents associated with my high school years became a turn off to me, though I really have nothing against them, lol! White Linen went from constant application to nothing over the course of a year (8th grade-freshman year, lol) then Knowing, then Youth Dew... (I guess I hung out at EL counter, too much!) A tiny bit of Opium was a fave for years too, and I still love it, but I don't reach for it often.

Seasons and memories are interesting influences, as others have noted. I also wonder if body chemistry can affect our desires and perceptions and possibly the way something smells on the skin? I have read that some don't believe body chemistry alters scents, but at one point in college, Chanel No. 5 rather suddenly started to smell like Raid bug spray on my skin. I even got a new bottle thinking the other had gone bad. It was awful. At a party, some guy actually complained that someone smelled like Raid. It was me! I've only recently tried it again and found the Raid went away, thankfully! I had some health problems in college and now I wonder if that had anything to do with changing the scent on my skin. I certainly avoided No. 5 for years! lol...

Thank you folks for sharing- I think I asked a hard question about something very common and also quite complicated. It's interesting to hear others' experience with this, though. Sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing "liking" or "not liking" with "I'm just not in the mood for this," or "this just isn't working for me right now." It can be a little confusing, as I change my mind constantly. But I guess that's a lot of the intrigue of fragrance- if we always responded the same way to a certain scent, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

I went back and forth constantly on YSL Paris Jardin Romantiques, as well. Sometimes it was cheery and nice, and other times unpleasantly bitter. I too suspect that our perception depends on body chemistry and stuff like that.

I'm still not sure about roses ... I have an on/off relationship with rose scents. But I'm guessing I just haven't found the right one, because I do enjoy the smell of fresh roses. I just find this note to be a challenging one in perfumes, which like I said, can seem unpleasantly bitter to my nose.

Anyway, thanks! Would be glad to hear from others on this.

SL fleur d'oanger - bought it over a year ago after obsessing on it. Then after about 5 wears never wore it again though I like to sniff it from the bottle all the time. It's just too big for me to actually wear.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

Does one eat Chinese cuisine everyday without tiring?
    Umm.... yes? Approximately 1.500.000.000 people do just that, if I am not wrong.

Hillaire

To answer your question Miss Casey, there are some that, in very general terms, I really never tire of (a couple for some thirty years and counting). That is not to say they don't get 'shoved to the side' a tad while I revel in some new fascniation. But their standing in my 'heart' does not change. Like family members, they are ensconced in my world of devotion.

A few of those scents (I know those aren't the ones you asked about, but I am trying to separate myself from the fickler perfumistas above ), Y, Jil Sander Woman III, Jil Sander No. 4, First, Amouage Gold, and Amouage Dia.

But I have certainly fallen out of love with some others, only to rediscover their charms months or years later; a few of those I can think of are:

(most recently) Laura Ashley Dilys
    Valentino Vendetta
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit -- loved it, hated it, love it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Umm.... yes? Approximately 1.500.000.000 people do just that, if I am not wrong.

Ummmmmm no lol. Even Chinese break the routine and eat different cuisines. I know. I saw them eat Arabic and Italian food.

for swap/sale:

Mmmmmm. I love me some Arabic food. Now I'm hungry.

for swap/sale:

L'anarchiste is one of them. I don't reach much for it for a while, forget how good it is, and whenever I use it after a long while, it's a treat.

Paco Rabanne La Nuit -- loved it, hated it, love it again!
    I recently got a bottle of it with high expectations, and while it's certainly good, I expected bigger balls from it.
    Is it a case of great expectations, or one of those reformulamations.

I recently got a bottle of it with high expectations, and while it's certainly good, I expected bigger balls from it.
    Is it a case of great expectations, or one of those reformulamations
    Hm, Idunno. Perhaps you can try get ahold of the "old" version? It happened to me with my once beloved Samsara- missed it, ordered a new bottle, received reformulated version. Was epically disappointed. However, I've ordered what I hope to be the original version and am hoping to fall in love all over again. We'll see ... Once in awhile, I sniff the empty bottle of the original version, and more recently, every day. So yes, I still love it. I can't wait to wear it again! It's been too long.