Code of Conduct

Default ambergris tincture

Hear my plea, oh wise ones!! The self-same woman in pursuit of Snuggle ordered natural ambergris tincture from www.profumo.it. 16ml was 68 USD. I don't know what got into me. I've just read so much about it and how irreplaceably wonderful it was.... I just ordered it in a fugue state. Theoretically, I want to use it in combination with fragrances I have and see the difference it makes. But...but...blubber...but...I don't really have any idea which fragrances it would actually enhance. I'd appreciate any feedback, ideas, comments, laughter at what an idiot I can be sometimes, etc.

;D :P ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P ;D :P ;D
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: ambergris tincture

Shycat, besides using it in perfume composition I am not sure there is any use for it. It more valuable for bringing out the smell in other things rather than on its own. Especially florals. If you have floral absolutes or oils (i.e.: rose otto or absolute, jasmine absolute, neroli, etc.), you can try blending some together.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

i guess something that you like but maybe find a bit too "sharp". the ambergris could serve to smooth and round it out a bit.

how about no. 22?
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

What I am saying, is that you need to mix it with the actual perfume to get the full effect. The chemisty wouldn't be as effective on your skin via layering. And it takes time for it to mature in order to get the full effect. Ambergris is most praised for its ability to bring out the beauty of florals while fixing their scent (being a base note and a fixative) so that it lasts longer.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Though Civet is meant to be the classic natural fixative for roses I love it with a bit of Rose Otto, though I really like it on its own it can become a bit like a "clean baby" sort of smell after a while (then fades quickly, paradoxically) which is pleasant enough, but a bit odd for a man to weardon't you think? Might attract a certain sort of woman I suppose!

It seems more intuitive that civet would become a dirty baby scent, which would attract an entirely different set of admirers, however I'll take your word for it.

I'm glad to hear that ambergris works with florals since I like them very much. I'm certainly not above ripping into my bond #9's to see what ambergris would do to a them. For #22 ?? I'd have to decant and pray to the great spirit of Chanel asking forbearance and forgiveness as I violate my lifetime fav. Hmmm...I'm not above that ,either! [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

Sorry for the confusion, the "it" was ambergris tincture, civet on its own initially smells a bit like Fart Spray from a joke shop then settles down to a concentrate of fried liver and kidneys - a million horrible miles away from the clean, sweet, creamyness of pure ambergris. Civet is great used sparingly, Ambergris is great full stop! Tastes good in sweets and spiced tea too!

Oh good! Thankyou!

What do diseased whales intestines actually smell like ???
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Since i'ts suppossed to be a rather salty , warm smell , I think it would layer well with anything too sweet or too high-pitched like intense florals (yalng ylang , rose , tuberose jasmine).
    You can have a little decanting bottle and mix both in varying degrees ( add some drops , let it mellow in the dark for a while, then check , add some more if it needs to - keep notes of the whole procedure though so you can do this again ).

Hope that helps...

Shycat. I recently bought some of the profumo ambergris and while it smelled right, it seemed like a very light tincture. My own tincture, which is much stronger, leaves a waxy coating on the skin when I apply it. The aroma is very similar to the profumo ambergris although my homemade absolute is a lot more complex. I'm now letting the tincture and the absolute age.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
    (being a base note and a fixative)
    Ambergris is not just found in bases, is it?!
    As I understand, ambergris and castorium
    are (or were) present in Poison's middle.

I continue to experiment. My "absolute" that I made by evaporating my tincture, has gone from a liquid oily state to a crystalized waxy one after exposure to sunlight. My hypothesis is that ambrein (which has a low melting point) is turning into ambrox (which has a higher melting point). But I've read that ambrox is more aromatic than ambrein and I haven't noticed a corresponding change in aroma. I think ambergris may be one of those scents that we smell without knowing it-it acts unconsciously. While I can certainly smell it--a kind of seaweed quality mixed with a leathery horseyness--the aroma is subtle, but very pervasive. I've read studies that show that rats have more sex when exposed to ambergris. As to your excellency's comment that it's not used in bases, I'm surprised because I always thought it was. I'm hopelessly ignorant of commercial scents, so I don't remember if I've ever smelt Poison.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    As to your excellency's comment that it's not used in bases, I'm surprised because I always thought it was.
    I thought so, too. Like aldehydes are topnotes only,
    I thought the animalics were sorely basenotes.
    But, studying for my Poison review, I learned,
    that ambergris should be in the heart of Poison.
    I cannot remember where I have it from?!
    Roja Dove?!

Mylord, you've never sniffed Poison?! Shame on you!