Code of Conduct

Default Scent for graduate school interview.

Well, first off, I may opt for no scent (scary!) for the sake of politeness and what not. But I hope I can get away with a little somethin.

Does anyone have suggestions for a somewhat serious, yet light and inoffensive scent that I could pull off for an interview with graduate faculty? I've applied to a Master's in Mental Health Counseling Program (exciting!) and anticipate being called for an interview sometime in the near future. (Hopefully by March or April.)

Any suggestions??
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Default Re: Scent for graduate school interview.

As an ex-graduate-school interviewer, I'd say your first thought, though very scary indeed, may be the best - no scent. Because someone on the panel may be allergic to scent, feel uncomfortable, and decide they would rather not have a perfumed person around them in the future! Whereas, once you're in, you can wear whatever you like.

But if you do go ahead and wear some, I'd suggest something very light and citrussy. Vintage Ma Griffe comes to mind, don't know what the equivalent would be today, though.

Good luck!

A light, inoffensive scent that's really inoffensive is Pure DNKY. I think there are at least two versions of this, drop of vanilla and the drop of verbena. I would go with the drop of vanilla. Not sure if there is a third choice for this scent, meaning I'm not sure if there is an original Pure DKNY along with the drop versions. But any version but the drop of the verbena I would go for I think. I wouldn't wear the verbena for this. If I were going to go for inoffensive, good to wear in a professional setting scent..that would be my choice. It's light, and like I said, can be easily worn at work or work setting. I'd go for a pretty light scent, like the DKNY one, or no scent at all. Good luck!
    Last edited by kalli; 25th February 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Soap and water. Nothing else. Don't take risks. Make sure they focus on the right things

I'd also advise you to go without scent for your interview. The way I figure the cost-benefit analysis, the potential benefit of wearing a scent is tiny, even in the best-case scenario. On the other hand, the potential cost is huge: as others have mentioned, if an interviewer is allergic to your scent, or for whatever reason is really put off by it, then you've made a bad impression. (And even the best, supposedly most inoffensive scents can cause problems for some people. Eau d'Orange Verte, for example, gives me a headache.) And because memories associated with scent are so powerful, it will be hard for an interviewer to separate his/her impression of you as a candidate from you as the wearer of the offensive scent.

Good luck with your applications, and hopefully with your interviews!
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

Good luck with your interview ,Miss Casey. I think I would opt for no scent too -or if you must ...something like Pure Grace by Philosophy.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

If, like me, your confidence level improves with a little scent and make up, then I'd suggest Clinique Wrappings. Fresh, herbal, gentle and not "perfumey". Failing that a classic cologne applied very lightly or my fail safe clean, soap scent, JLo Glow, the olfactory equivalent of a great smile showing well cared for teeth... Sort of smells of good health

queen of the universe

OK, apologies in advance to redrose for the ensuing snark—it's moi being moi:

Mental Health Counseling + Academia. There's a > 50/50 chance you will walk into a room populated by tenured head cases NOS, at least one of whom will be sure they are anaphylactically sensitive to anything that smells, to say nothing of the reality of actual sensitivity, or someone who just plain doesn't like perfume, so nothing is you best option in terms of your interviewers. For yourself, spray or daub your favorite on a handkerchief or even a small piece of paper, put that in your purse and take a little sniff before you are called in. Indulge wildly after.

Good luck with your interview. Wishing you much future success, misscasey.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thanks for the advice and the well wishes, all! You have some really good points. I don't think I'll wear a scent after all. And besides, it could be distracting to myself as well. I may ending up thinking about my scent, wondering how others are responding to it. (Especially after your responses to this thread! LOL.) The scent could even affect my own mood. So I think you're right, that scent free is probably the best option.

Thanks!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I'm glad you aren't using a scent for the interview. It's a very delicate situation to be in and fragrances are so objective. Good luck sweetheart

queen of the universe

I'm sure fragranceman88 meant subjective
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I vaguely recall wearing Allure Homme in copious amounts for my graduate school interview. They were bookworms allergic to everything, but I still got in.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I vaguely recall wearing Allure Homme in copious amounts for my graduate school interview. They were bookworms allergic to everything, but I still got in.
    I love people who can admit to faux pas in public. But it turned out for the best, right? May I ask what you went to school for?

Thanks, fragranceman.

I'm sure you are right, Jujy.