Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on their wardrobe

l just nicked this idea from the male forum (thanks ctran!) & thought it'd be fun to try it here. Have as many goes as you want! Maybe it'll encourage more people to fill out their wardrobes too.
    l'm thinking about trying a few musks next (Musc Ravageur is already on my test list) but would welcome any other suggestions.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on their wardrobe

Great idea, Teadrop!
    I would love to recommend you Montale Sweet Oriental Dreams and maybe Serge Lutens Miel du Bois.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend a fragrance for the person above you based on their wardrobe

Easy -- I've got Warum. Pity the person who follows me!!!

Warum likes sweet scents like Ambre Narguile, New Haarlem, and the orange of Poeme. Sweet scents to try would be Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir and Dark Amber & Ginger Lily.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

O.K.that was very hard!!
    I may be wrong but I would suggest you try Santa Maria Novella's EDC Classica
    and Baroque by Fragonard. Please don't tell me you've tried them too....
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I just took a look at Kewart's wardrobe, and it pleases me to no end to see quite a few of my favorites residing within. Kewart obviously enjoys a wide range of fragrances, from refreshing colognes (Escale a Portofino) to rich and bold wonders (think Narcisse Noir and Habanita), and a little of everything in between. I am tickled to see my adored Shaal Nur on her wish list! So let me give this a try:

There are several fragrances on Kewart's list that seem to reveal a taste for the Italian aesthetic, and she has given at least two neroli fragrances, Fragonard Fleur d'Oranger and Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia, a five-star rating. So, I am going to suggest that she try Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi. I tried it just recently, thanks to a Basenotes friend, and found it just beautiful! According to the Villoresi website, Dilmun's notes include Citrus, Rose, Neroli, Green Leaves, Petitgrain, Laurel, Opoponax, Incense, Floral Extracts, Elemi, Vanilla, Cedarwood, and Sandalwood.

I also think she just might want to try one that I had in mind for Quarry, DelRae Panache. It's a complex vetiver-based fragrance that just took my breath away. It had some qualities that reminded me of Shaal Nur, actually!
    Last edited by Haunani; 25th November 2010 at 04:06 AM.

Blog Entries

I know that Haunani likes Kyoto, so I'm thinking of places to go from there... Jubilation XXV adds dried fruit a'la Chergui, while L'Artisan's Aedes de Venustas adds the dried fruits as well as a sort of pie-spiced dessert vibe that you wouldn't think could work with the cedar and smokey incense, but it actually goes quite well.

On the creamier end of the incense spectrum, I see you haven't tried Costes yet, or Guerlain Bois d'Armenie. Both would be worth trying...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Rogalal - hm, Acqua di Parma Profumo perhaps? A round, voluptuous classic chypre that is still in great shape and doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves, I think.

Great, Pimpinett's scent preferences have quite some overlap with mine which makes it easier for me to give some recommendations. Here they are:

Micallef Gaiac
    Tokyo Milk Dead Sexy
    Millet et Bertaux Parfum Trouvee #1
    A. McQueen Kingdom
    Bois 1920 Vento di Fiori
    JHAG Citizen Queen
    Etro Dianthus
    Coromandel

I think you migt like Crystal Noir, Midnight Violet,Paris, L'instant de Guerlain and Bois des iles.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 25th November 2010 at 10:12 AM.

ineespenes, My Sin extrait (can be had for quite a steal on ebay at the moment), the older the better (but excellent condition!), came to my mind immediately.

Blog Entries

Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain, Scent Intense by Costume National, Ambre Fetiche by Annick Goutal or DK Black Cashmere.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    O.K.that was very hard!!
    I may be wrong but I would suggest you try Santa Maria Novella's EDC Classica
    and Baroque by Fragonard. Please don't tell me you've tried them too....
    Or maybe it wasn't that hard -- you just had to find two fragrances I haven't sampled … and you did! Haunani's spotlight on Panache piques my interest, too.
    What a fun thread.

(Now somebody needs to do blood orange, cuz I'm just posting a response to comments above)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quarry it ishard to recommend something for you !
    But here goes Tabu by Dana preferably vintage
    Gallimard Canaica
    Guerlain Samsara Shine
    and Urban Rituelle Siam Ginger

Sooo... blood-orange looks to lean towards sweet gourmands, certain aldehydic florals, and patchouli, so I'm going to recommend Chanel No. 22 & Fracas for the aldehydes end of it, Borneo 1834 for the patch (it's said to be a darker, rougher Coromandel type) and Bois 1920 Real Patchouly (a totally different smelling patch), and for the sweet, Pink Sugar (just do it! ) and Parfumerie Generale Aomassai (may it be kinder to you than it was to me! ).

Bookwyrmsmith is up next (or someone can tackle us both... I think mine will be pretty easy .)

Blog Entries

I'll try for Blood Orange:
    how about Parfumerie Generale Un Crime Exotique?
    and Serge Lutens Un Bois de Vanille (sp?)

Quarry, on my test list they go! Apparently, I do love sweet scents. Should I be embarrassed? In my defense, I'll say that I resisted them a long time

Sunnyfunny, you can include my recs in your post and I can remove mine to avoid confusion, sorry! I must have been thinking too long!
    Last edited by Warum; 25th November 2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: oooh recepient already taken

Bookwyrmsmith and then Sunnyfunny are up next. I just want to thank Rogalal for the thoughtful recommendations! I do have a sample of Jubilation XXV that I need to explore fully, and I've put the rest on my "to test" list!

And thanks to teardrop for starting this thread!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Bookwyrmsmith and then Sunnyfunny are up next. I just want to thank Rogalal for the thoughtful recommendations! I do have a sample of Jubilation XXV that I need to explore fully, and I've put the rest on my "to test" list!

And thanks to teardrop for starting this thread!
    You're welcome! And thanks to Warum for your recs, l obviously like sweet frags too!
    Anyway, Bookwyrmsmith has such a mind-boggling variety of frags, it was really hard to think of one, but here's a wild stab in the dark; Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia??

Sunnyfunny's turn next!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Sunnyfunny, how about Habit Rouge, Egoiste,Ayala Moriel's Autumn and possibly Musc Ravageur for you?

Basenotes Plus

Ineespenes, the thread I see in your wardrobe is a love of spicy, rose and Serge Lutens. My recommendations for you would be Lyric Woman by Amouage, Rose Kashmirie by Les Parfums de Rosine or Roses Elixir by Montale. You might like The Party in Manhattan by The Party too.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 27th November 2010 at 07:44 PM.

For Kiliwia I would suggest;

Calandre-Paco Rabanne

Parure-Guerlain

Ce Soir ou Jamais-Annick Goutal

Hopefully these are interesting, but you might already have/tried them.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Hillaire

Brielle, I think you'd love the rare vintage Perfume Sardonyx. From Russia. It's a sixties-vitnage aldehydic floral. Metallic, creamy....
    Chocked full of nitro musks, of course!

My, it is virtually impossible to recommend something for you, Hillaire... anyway, I'll give it a try: Tabacco by Odori or Absolue pour le Soir.

Hmmm... Larimar, I would recommend Memoir Woman by Amouage for you

Blog Entries

Mrs H, can you show your wardrobe so we can make suggestions for you? Or give us a list of your favourites? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Mrs H, can you show your wardrobe so we can make suggestions for you? Or give us a list of your favourites? Thanks
    Teardrop dont have any YSL, so i will recommend Paris or Cinema. And the best of the house, Opium

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Teardrop dont have any YSL, so i will recommend Paris or Cinema. And the best of the house, Opium
    Thanks, l have tried Paris & found the violet too sweet, & l tried Opium & found it way too spicy for me. Haven't tried Cinema though, l'll go look that one up!

For you l see you have no Guerlain or Chanel, so l'll suggest Habit Rouge & Antaeus.

Mrs H's turn!

Sorry guys, I've made my wardrobe visible now! Thanks

Mrs. H, I think you should try Knize Ten (aren't I smart? oh well, I still remember the other thread ). Rose de Nuit (Serge Lutens) came to my mind as well.

I agree Memoir Woman sounds as if it should be for me, but I did not like it, unfortunately.

Thanks Larimar, I'll check those out! I'll have another think for you.....

Another Histoire de Parfums perhaps- I tried a tester of 1740 Marquis de Sade, seems you might like that Larimar

I think you should try Lolita Lempicka L ,Toujours Moi, Nu,and Black Cashmere

I can't recommend anything for bookwyrmsmith
    I don't even think I even know any fragrance at all which she doesn't have in her wardrobe or tried....

But I am posting anyway because I would like to see if somebody has any good ideas for me!

This one goes to FrouFrou!
    you might like (or at least sample! hehe):

Wind Song by Matchabelli
    1000 by Patou
    Le De by Givenchy
    K by Krizia
    Laura Biagiotti's Laura Biagiotti
    Eau de Givenchy
    Calyx by Prescriptives
    Escape by CK
    Dalissime by Salvador Dalí
    Tendre Poison by Dior
    Aquaflore by Carolina Herrera

please tell us if you tried any of these!

cheers

Bookwyrmsmith should try Robert Piguet Baghari, current version, the newer Rochas Femme (which I think is a lovely fragrance in it's own right, and should be viewed as such) and my standard recommendation for those who have already tried everything; Acqua di Parma Profumo.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Sunnyfunny, how about Habit Rouge, Egoiste,Ayala Moriel's Autumn and possibly Musc Ravageur for you?
    Nice choices, Ine! I've been curious about three of those four for a while now, and Autumn sounds lovely... the cumin note makes it sound intriguing.

Pimpinett is next!

Blog Entries

Oops, we nearly missed out castorpollux! What to suggest for the man who's tried everything?? How about something by Teo Cabanel, Hilde Soliani, The Party in Manhattan, or some Montales; Velvet Flowers, Oriental Flowers or some of the Aouds?

l'll have a think about Pimpinett...

Blog Entries

Ok Pimpinett, l think you may just love Diva by Ungaro, possibly Sublime by Jean Patou, & maybe some rich, resinous ambers like Ambra Aurea by Profumum, or Tom Ford's Amber Absolute.

Sunnyfunny's turn!

teardrop, you have such a lush palette and I would like to recommend for you:
    Carnal Flower
    Songes
    Fifi Chachnil

then for something on the other side of the spectrum:
    Egoiste
    Chanel no 19
    and
    Third Man by Caron just for kicks
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Ok Pimpinett, l think you may just love Diva by Ungaro, possibly Sublime by Jean Patou, & maybe some rich, resinous ambers like Ambra Aurea by Profumum, or Tom Ford's Amber Absolute.

Sunnyfunny's turn!
    Nope, I was just responding to my recs. Thanks, though!

rtamara's turn!

Oops, we nearly missed out castorpollux! What to suggest for the man who's tried everything?? How about something by Teo Cabanel, Hilde Soliani, The Party in Manhattan, or some Montales; Velvet Flowers, Oriental Flowers or some of the Aouds?
    Thank you! I have yet to try the rest of the Cabenels (only tried Alahine), i haven't tried the party in Mhtan or the HildeS scents. I have tried all the Montales (i think!).
    There's so much more to learn...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Thank you! I have yet to try the rest of the Cabenels (only tried Alahine), i haven't tried the party in Mhtan or the HildeS scents. I have tried all the Montales (i think!).
    There's so much more to learn...
    You're welcome!

Daniel, l looked up Cinema, & l like the sound of the almond blossom note! l've smelled the real thing & it has a gorgeous honey-like scent, so l'll give that one a try.

Thanks rtamara for your recs, it's nice to know l have a "lush palette"! l love Carnal Flower & it's on my wishlist. l couldn't get past the pencil-shavings note in Songes, but Fifi Chachnil sounds nice. l used to own a bottle of Chanel No19, (when l was 19!) but l find it too green & sharp now. l'm intrigued by the masculine ones you mentioned, though!

rtamara's turn now people, l'm just responding to the other posts!

You're welcome!

Daniel, l looked up Cinema, & l like the sound of the almond blossom note! l've smelled the real thing & it has a gorgeous honey-like scent, so l'll give that one a try.

Thanks rtamara for your recs, it's nice to know l have a "lush palette"! l love Carnal Flower & it's on my wishlist. l couldn't get past the pencil-shavings note in Songes, but Fifi Chachnil sounds nice. l used to own a bottle of Chanel No19, (when l was 19!) but l find it too green & sharp now. l'm intrigued by the masculine ones you mentioned, though!

rtamara's turn now people, l'm just responding to the other posts!
    Im glad that you liked my suggestions, Cinema is really nice, and youthful.
    Following your recomendation, i get an Antaeus, this in my mail, tonight i will try it (i got a 100ml bottle).
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

Im glad that you liked my suggestions, Cinema is really nice, and youthful.
    Following your recomendation, i get an Antaeus, this in my mail, tonight i will try it (i got a 100ml bottle).
    Thanks!
    Wow, l do hope you like it! Let us know, won't you?

Rtamara, you have a luscious wardrobe with a nod towards classics. I think I would suggest for you:
    Lumiere Noire pour femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - a classic styled fragrance with a modern nod. Beautiful rose note, and a bite of cumin (you don't seem to be cumin adverse )
    Maybe also Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie for a rose incense.

Castor Pollux, thanks for your recommendations. I have just last week tried Tendre Poison a friend of mine had it, and I loved it!
    So hmmm, I must get my hands on the rest of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Rtamara, you have a luscious wardrobe with a nod towards classics. I think I would suggest for you:
    Lumiere Noire pour femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - a classic styled fragrance with a modern nod. Beautiful rose note, and a bite of cumin (you don't seem to be cumin adverse )
    Maybe also Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie for a rose incense.
    cello, I love how you describe my wardrobe and your suggestion sounds really good. I do have a very soft spot for rose, in particular. I have sampled Paestum Rose and like it very much, along with other scents from the same house.
    Thank you.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

rtamara41, how about Caron's Or et Noir? I personally prefer this over Malle's Une Rose. If you like Paestum Rose, maybe you could be interested in Amouage Lyric Man (I absolutely adore the Woman).

Blog Entries

Daniel, l tried Cinema today while out Christmas shopping; l think it's a very pretty Spring floral, it reminds me of Allure Sensuelle, very nice! Thanks again, l wouldn't have tried this without your recommendation! Have you tried Antaeus yet??

Cello's turn people!

I think Warum was skipped a while back up there, so here you go, my dear...
    Your wardrobe is big on modern florals, leaning towards the lighter side; some citrus, but you're real picky about those; lightly sweet and sparkling is what I'd generally call your collection, with the occasional knock-your socks off classic (like Narcisse Noir.) So my suggestions for you are Gres Cabaret, a light, pretty, easy to wear rose; Chanel Eau Premiere, a brighter, more sparkling take on No. 5 (in my opinion); Kelly Caleche, sweet florals atop a clean, elegant leather (I think you'd really like this one); and vintage White Shoulders, a complex, beautiful floral that is seriously glamorous without ever getting dark.

And I'm all prepared to do cello's but I just looked at the clock and I need to be at work in an hour!

So cello's still up!

For Cello ~

Kalimantan by Chantecaille
    Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain
    Angelique Noire by Guerlain
    Gotham by Neil Morris
    Putain de Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange
    Dior Addict (easy find - easy try!)

I recommend sampling these for Winter
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 2nd December 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    For Cello ~

Kalimantan by Chantecaille
    Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain
    Angelique Noire by Guerlain
    Gotham by Neil Morris
    Putain de Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange
    Dior Addict (easy find - easy try!)

I recommend sampling these for Winter
    I think ubuandibeme needs to have dinner with Bobo.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Petruccijc - not easy to recommend something with your fab collection (but maybe easier than ubu´s). But here comes two old chypres: Chypre de Coty and Guerlain Sous le Vent. I happen to try them both at the moment and I think you would enjoy them, especially if you like Sagamore And what the heck, try Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens too - I am seriously thinking of wearing it one whole week. It is that good.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Blog Entries

For Pelle Do you ever tried

PG02 Coze by Parfumerie Generale
    Field Notes From Paris by Ineke

Daniel, l tried Cinema today while out Christmas shopping; l think it's a very pretty Spring floral, it reminds me of Allure Sensuelle, very nice! Thanks again, l wouldn't have tried this without your recommendation! Have you tried Antaeus yet??

Cello's turn people!
    you're thinking in buy one?
    I bought Antaeus blind, and surprise, i liked. Its powdery, powerful, potent.
    I think im younger a little bit to wear this one (23) but for sure on the meetings at my job i cant go wrong with this one.
    Remind me the scent of my dad (Boss #1), wich i respect a lot.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Will try those Ubu, as I've not sniffed any of them yet. Thanks for the recs!

Blog Entries

you're thinking in buy one?
    I bought Antaeus blind, and surprise, i liked. Its powdery, powerful, potent.
    I think im younger a little bit to wear this one (23) but for sure on the meetings at my job i cant go wrong with this one.
    Remind me the scent of my dad (Boss #1), wich i respect a lot.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Woohoo, l'm so glad you like it! lt's certainly a classic fragrance, & l don't think you're too young to appreciate a classic!
    l would consider buying Cinema, maybe in the Spring!

Weimar's turn!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think ubuandibeme needs to have dinner with Bobo.
    You are evil!

For Weimar ~

Nuit de Tubereuse, by L'Artisan
    Feminite du Bois, by Shiseido/Lutens
    Womanity, Mugler
    Iris 39, LeLabo

For Ubuandibeme:
    DSH Quinacridone Violet
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Petruccijc - not easy to recommend something with your fab collection (but maybe easier than ubu´s). But here comes two old chypres: Chypre de Coty and Guerlain Sous le Vent. I happen to try them both at the moment and I think you would enjoy them, especially if you like Sagamore And what the heck, try Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens too - I am seriously thinking of wearing it one whole week. It is that good.
    I do like Sous le Vent. but not happy with it's longevity - or lack thereof. I have never tried Chypre de Coty, but would like to.

I have never tried Rose de Nuit either - damn non-exports! I will have to look into this one though. Thanks!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread