Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Received samples of Guerlain Derby today !

Whaddya know. On Thanksgiving day, I stop by the Post Office to mail back my netflix movie and lo & behold, in my box is samples from my friend Oaksbluff that weren't there yesterday when I stopped by to pick up mail.

Dan was kind enough to send me both renditions and after sampling the current formula, I am in awe of how much it is similar to Gucci Pour Homme original (1976). Trust me when I say I am not disappointed. On the contrary, it's as terrific as I expected and leaves no doubt about getting a Bee Bottle as soon as the Holidays are past.

What I'd like to know is who else smells the distinct similarities in these two leather chypres?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Received samples of Guerlain Derby today !

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    .....Trust me when I say I am not disappointed.....

...What I'd like to know is who else smells the distinct similarities in these two leather chypres?
    I knew you would not be

Having been recently re-united with both Derby and Gucci pH (original), yes, being leather chypres they do have similarities, with Derby being the darker.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I knew you would not be

Having been recently re-united with both Derby and Gucci pH (original), yes, being leather chypres they do have similarities, with Derby being the darker.
    I'm inclined to agree with you perfaddict. The Gucci has amber in the drydown compared to a bit more leather in Derby. Aside from that though, they seem like first cousins to me.

I have only smelled the current formula and it's gorgeous! Very luxurious! One in the wishlist.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I have only smelled the current formula and it's gorgeous! Very luxurious! One in the wishlist.
    I'm wearing the current again tonight ( along with Gucci PH )in order to review it better. It most definitely is an excellent chypre.

I still like the similarities of both and after doing 2 side by side wearings today, Derby is superior. The disparity isn't much, but it's enough to warrant owning Derby alongside the Gucci. My wife chose Derby both times in blind sniffs.

Im pleased you like this one Aromi
    Do you get the flash of peppermint in the topnotes of Derby that is not present in the Gucci?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Im pleased you like this one Aromi
    Do you get the flash of peppermint in the topnotes of Derby that is not present in the Gucci?
    Hi Dimi. I can't say I did, but it may be I didn't recognize it. Then again, there are other frags that have it listed in their accords and I frequently don't identify it in them either. I just may be mint deprived.

A few minutes ago, I sampled the vintage Derby for the first time and it is definitely related to the heavier chypres made back in the day. Both are different and both are so damn good that it's going to be difficult to choose one.

My wife likes the lighter, current formula better than the vintage whereas the denser florals in the vintage are right up my alley. I have a dilemma.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

To be honest, in the absence of a side-by-side, i do not really detect the difference between the new version and the original (which, ironically, used to be commonly available when it first came out). The new one retains the main "Derby" character based on my memory, which is enough for me.

Grab all versions available to you now. You can then wear whichever Derby you are in the mood for at any time ;o)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    To be honest, in the absence of a side-by-side, i do not really detect the difference between the new version and the original (which, ironically, used to be commonly available when it first came out). The new one retains the main "Derby" character based on my memory, which is enough for me.

Grab all versions available to you now. You can then wear whichever Derby you are in the mood for at any time ;o)
    Hi perfaddict. I am going to get the Bee Bottle rendition. Both versions are terrific and it really doesn't matter which one. They are both "Derby" and it may be the only release I have sampled that has 2 renditions and each one is just as good as the other.

I must concede that I had not acknowledged the connection between Gucci Pour Homme and Derby,but testing them side by side,they are clearly close cousins. Gucci feels more herbal, greener and with a a slightly sharper version of leather. Derby is smoother, slightly more floral in the middle, and probably the slightly better balanced. In a previous thread someone mentioned a similarity between Equipage and Derby, but I see the Hermes being closer to Gucci Pour Homme.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 27th November 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Whaddya know. On Thanksgiving day, I stop by the Post Office to mail back my netflix movie and lo & behold, in my box is samples from my friend Oaksbluff that weren't there yesterday when I stopped by to pick up mail.

Dan was kind enough to send me both renditions and after sampling the current formula, I am in awe of how much it is similar to Gucci Pour Homme original (1976). Trust me when I say I am not disappointed. On the contrary, it's as terrific as I expected and leaves no doubt about getting a Bee Bottle as soon as the Holidays are past.

What I'd like to know is who else smells the distinct similarities in these two leather chypres?
    I always got curious about the old gucci pour homme, and now you activated this curiosity again. If it's close to the derby, in any of the versions, i'll love it.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I always got curious about the old gucci pour homme, and now you activated this curiosity again. If it's close to the derby, in any of the versions, i'll love it.
    Rick.....I can't remember if I put Gucci in your sample package. If, for some reason. it's not in there, I'll make sure you get some next swap.

Basenotes Institution

I never really thought of comparing GPH and Derby, because I don't really smell the chypre effect in the Gucci...whereas it's immediately evident in the Guerlain. Plus the Gucci has just SO much cedar to my nose.

Interesting you bring this up, Mike. I just pulled my decant of GPH from Aromi actually (thanks D!) based on this thread In terms of superiority I must confess that Derby has it, hands down... just my opinion.. but I know I'm not the only one who'll be rushing out after the holidays to get a bee of Derby. Our BN friend xmen has the GPH for sale and I believe MJF does as well but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I never really thought of comparing GPH and Derby, because I don't really smell the chypre effect in the Gucci...whereas it's immediately evident in the Guerlain. Plus the Gucci has just SO much cedar to my nose.

I have this haunting fantasy of finding a bottle of Derby from the '80s, at its original, affordable price, just sitting on the shelf in some old pharmacy. Or maybe at a garage sale at some bargain price, even though I never go to garage sales.

My question to the basenoters: has this actually happened to anyone on BN? Or am I doomed to buying decants, or a costly new bee bottle, if I want to own some? I'm afraid only a bottle would do, since by all accounts it's a must-have.

I am still dreaming on getting a bottle of Derby. Don't know yet when that dream will turn to reality. =( Hopefully next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I have this haunting fantasy of finding a bottle of Derby from the '80s, at its original, affordable price, just sitting on the shelf in some old pharmacy. Or maybe at a garage sale at some bargain price, even though I never go to garage sales.
    My question to the basenoters: has this actually happened to anyone on BN?
    Well, not a pharmacy or a garage sale, but I've kinda lucked out with a similar scenario... I found a foreign wholesaler with a small arsenal of Derby still in his inventory, selling them at waaaaaaaaay below current market value. I intend to buy out his stock completely (Im actually 2 bottles away from doing so).

So there is still hope mrcologneguy! Hang in there!

I know one person who this happened to... exactly what you described... and I hate him dearly for it The story is just that - a bottle of 100ml Derby in the Habit Rouge bottle for a ridiculously low price (under $50 I think).

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

My question to the basenoters: has this actually happened to anyone on BN? Or am I doomed to buying decants, or a costly new bee bottle, if I want to own some? I'm afraid only a bottle would do, since by all accounts it's a must-have.

I agree that Gucci PH is just Cedar overload whereas Derby is much more sophisticated
    at best Gucci is the teenage edition of Guerlains Derby
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I know one person who this happened to... exactly what you described... and I hate him dearly for it The story is just that - a bottle of 100ml Derby in the Habit Rouge bottle for a ridiculously low price (under $50 I think).
    I found one in the Habit Rouge bottle, with a blue label... it wasn't that cheap though. It was almost $100. But I was very happy with my find nonetheless.

Basenotes Institution

Be careful: I have smelled vintage Derby that has turned bad. Make sure you're buying from a reputable seller.

The carnation and moss accord in Derby drive me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I found one in the Habit Rouge bottle, with a blue label... it wasn't that cheap though. It was almost $100. But I was very happy with my find nonetheless.
    This is still a steal mrclmind Congrats!

Very good indeed! It sells for around $3/ml now in the 100ml sizes.. even more per ml for the 50ml. BUT.. that's not actually terrible for vintage, and Derby is potent stuff. By holding off on buying decants, especially from the L'Art et la Matiere series, the money could add up quickly.

... and now the beautiful Sous le Vent is also on my radar thanks to a wonderful gentleman here on BN who just happens to also be a terrible, terrible enabler!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post

Be careful: I have smelled vintage Derby that has turned bad. Make sure you're buying from a reputable seller.
    How awful!!! I bought mine over a year ago... so far it has remained quite good.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th December 2010 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    ... and now the beautiful Sous le Vent is also on my radar thanks to a wonderful gentleman here on BN who just happens to also be a terrible, terrible enabler!
    Ah, that's one of my very favorites!!

summer means fireflys

True that. And when it has turned bad, it's really bad.

A friend bought some from ebay ... it was horrible. The seller took it back and refunded his money, but then turned around and re-sold it to someone else!

I just tried re-issued Derby from a TPC sample before going to bed. The drydown is very similar to Mitsouko to me.