Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

I went to order some food at the local mexican place and some girl that works there(18 yr old) has the hots for me. Anyway before I got there I took a shower and used 3 sprays of Aventus(one on left wrist, then pressed wrists, one on neck and one t-shirt). So I walk in and they says "hey you smell nice..." then starts lightly coughing and blames it on 'allergies'. She then walks behind the counter, coughs again then takes my order. I pretty much just smiled and proceeded with my order. That was the first time someone(outside of my family) mentioned I was wearing too much fragrance(albeit indirectly).

How do you react? I mean I certainly don't want to EVER be a guy that wears too much fragrance. I'd rather have the majority of people not smell me at all then overdo it.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

3 sprays is not "overdoing it", but if you had sprayed more or less immediately before entering, I can imagine that the topnotes were still strong.

Some people react like it's a personal insult if they catch a whiff of someone else's fragrance...

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

At first I usually get all defensive, and then after my bruised, fragile ego recovers, I try to wash some off.

Who cares, 3 sprays is far from overdoing it. North americans are over sensitive about perfume. How to react is simply to apologize and move on. Fragrances are still uncommon in north america, so people will feel you're invading their personal space with your scent quite often. Personally i'd just not care, how come i can't complain about people being too loud or wearing terrible outfits

While i personally don’t like Aventus i think it’s quite impossible to overdo it. But there seem to be people who are very sensitive to that one. My girlfried smelled the one spray on my wrist immediately and found it repulsive. So a cologne can be properly applied but gross people out nonetheless. Now you should decide if you like the girl more than the frag.

I cough this time of year as a result of allergies. Don't blame it on the Aventus.

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Some people react like it's a personal insult if they catch a whiff of someone else's fragrance...
    indeed, tott.

I get angry and self conscious, but then again you should probably know if you're wearing too much, or if you don't smell good. Women are more sensitive to it to. It can actually be quite soul destroying, because you want to lure in someone with your fragrance and watch the effect as it happens and they start melting in front of you. It's a hard thing to achieve!

3 sprays doesn't sound like much, but it could be. My front of house manager at the theatre I work for is an old hag who is ultra sensitive to perfume. It annoyed me every time she started making a big fuss and waving her hands and coughing. But then again she is very conformist and austere and quite annoying. I started loading up on it just to piss her off ;P

The other night I put on ONE spray of Kouros in hot, dry Perth (Western Australian) weather, and ordered a taxi. The Iranian taxi driver couldn't take it - he wound down the window - MY window. I thought he was doing it because it was hot but then I lifted my nose up & took a whiff to see if I smelt good. It was indeed a bit much, haha!

Did you consider she might have just started coughing for another reason entirely unrelated?

If she generally didn't think you smelled good she might have considered it a bit dumb to pay you a fake compliment and then start, ah, 'diplomatically' coughing after, & THEN say "Oh, it must be hay fever, etc." - in other words, making it OBVIOUS you smelled bad.

But what can I say? Choose a different one (or none) don't apply so much, and go back in there. Maybe Terre D'Hermes. And ask her the hell out, promptly!

Now, no more moping about being "that guy"

I also do get defensive. Whether light or over sprayed, people have different reactions, bad or good. Those people who react negatively, I don't care about it much. They just react first, because the frag that they smell is just not their personal taste, so say react negatively. Second, I don't care about those negative reactions because those people just don't have the nose for good perfumes! hahahahaha.

My reaction depends a lot on the person telling me this, on my respective mood, on the overall context and a lot more variable factors, ranging from total indifference and self-restraint to certain quite confrontational and offensive remarks

I never worry about wearing too much. I keep it fairly restrained, but now and then a fragrance just gets out of control, all by itself. Acier Aluminum in particular - it practically leaps off the shelf into your hands, and demands to be sprayed liberally. You must be strong in these situations, and take control. No more than one or two sprays. Ok, three then. But stop right there. Otherwise you'll be known as. . .

How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

I dont give a shit...

It's never happened to me, but if it does... I have the perfect response: make a sour face and say "I know, and I can *still* smell you".
    The Bark Bites Back.

Look 'em straight in the eye & say "oh, it can't be me - I'm not wearing any scent"

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    I mean I certainly don't want to EVER be a guy that wears too much fragrance. I'd rather have the majority of people not smell me at all then overdo it.
    + 1!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    ....how come i can't complain about people being too loud or wearing terrible outfits
    View echoed....

Sometimes, situations as the OP's tell us more about ourselves. All due application moderation observed, do i like wearing scents mainly for the validation of others, or for my own personal satisfaction?

If i am sure i applied moderately, then i would ignore negative comments. Not everybody appreciates the finer things of life
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm general, you should react the same way as you would if someone told you that your fly was open or your shirt-tail hanging out: you blush a bit, thank the person descretely, and then fix the problem.

It's never happened to me.

try to make any oneliner which is cocky and funny

thats not me, thats my awesomeness, she's really potent!
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

Some people are just frangrance haters. (Some, perhaps because of allergies, but I think that is way over played.) They never wear any frangrance and find it offensive if they get a whiff of anyone's cologne. They see people who wear frangrance as sleazy or uncouth. I have encountered such people personally. People like this really annoy me.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Tell them they don't smell that great either...so that sort of makes us 'even'.

Well, I do enjoy the occasional whiff but if a guy comes in reeking of cologne that 'assaults' the nose with neverending sillage, I'll be irritated. Same goes with anyone talking too loudly or listening to personal stereo at high decibels. I classify these under 'socially inconsiderate behavior' esp if situations do not allow me to simply walk away.

---
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 27th November 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Less than one month to Christmas

I live in an area with a high concentration of "all natural" types (charitably speaking), who get openly prissy about fragrances, but think nothing of either their own unwashed rank or that of their ilk.

Personally, I don't ever want to be the "cologne guy," but in all honesty, I can't possibly imagine that fragrance "sensitive" types would rather smell some dirty hippie's incredibly offensive funk. And I ain't talkin underarm BO, either. I might just have to get one of those Montale 20ml bottles to commando spray the offenders.

Oh, and to the OP: my friends openly tell me I smell like a whore if I'm wearing too much. It does happen sometimes.

: /
    Last edited by Hamp; 28th November 2010 at 02:33 AM.

If you are consistently getting that response, you might reconsider your application. Maybe your fragrance works too well on your skin.

It's funny to me that a person working at a Mexican restaurant would complain about smells--any smells. Can she not smell her enviornment and herself after she leaves work? I'm not even a Creed fan but I doubt 3 sprays of anything much less a Creed would be offensive to anyone. She was either suffering from something else or just didn't like the scent and was rude enough to express it.

3 sprays wasn't overdoing it.

I feel sorry for people who are ignorant about the joy of fragrances and I'm also sorry for those who are gunuinely allergic to them and can't enjoy them.

In my opinion, it IS rude to complain directly or indirectly about someone's scent especially if the person is near you for a short amount of time. "All natural" people don't hear complaints about their odors in such situations. Not even about their disgusting fabric softeners that makes them smell like every other person on the street. Everyone would think it's rude to say something. Why?

Personally, I'm much more tactful than that with people around me and don't want to make them feel bad so I'm offended by those who think they have the right to complain.

It turns into a scene that looks like a pro wrestling show and they better hope there are no folding chair available....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

There where some good comments; notably TheBark, Adonis, and morning star. However, I don't think it was Aventus. Three sprays is not danger of overdoing it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

nice
    Last edited by Hamp; 28th November 2010 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    It's never happened to me, but if it does... I have the perfect response: make a sour face and say "I know, and I can *still* smell you".
    this is perfect – using this one next time.

does anyone have a polite counterpart?

It happened to me only once so far (with Basala). It was at my workplace when my female boss came in and said "Who's that smelling like a perfumery?". "That would probably me", I replied and she said "Please don't use so much when you come here" and I said "Ok". That's it, end of story. Of course I felt a bit hurt in my pride for an hour or so but I'll be damned if I'd let them know that. She never ever complained about GIT though, even when I accidently used a bit much because I was in a hurry. I think it's because she didn't like Basala all that much.

Its only happened a few time and I'm usually shocked because I can't ever smell it when I am told so.

Before I knew what I was doing (over 20 years ago), I over-applied Bijan for men and Obsession. Both caused some major sneezing but thankfully no nasty comments.
    I now tend to notice such things. I tried 1 Million at a local store (1 spray), then went to a friends house. It was way too strong and I washed it off without comment.
    Some people are hyper-sensitive. If you are interested in this girl, ask her what she thinks of Aventus. Tell her it's new and you were trying it out. Most girls will be glad to give you their opinion and even some advice. It also will give you something to start talking about. Whatever you do, don't be embarrassed. Be straight-forward and open.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post

.....snip......How do you react? I mean I certainly don't want to EVER be a guy that wears too much fragrance. I'd rather have the majority of people not smell me at all then overdo it.
    If someone really said that straight on to my face, i would surely tell him/her very clearly to mind his/her own business. You don't have to be polite to someone who is offensive and unpolite to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    It turns into a scene that looks like a pro wrestling show and they better hope there are no folding chair available....
    First, this is a good thread. I tend to go heavy on Rive Gauche because it smells so good and I fatigue to it a little and then, well, you know. No-one has had any negative reactions yet!

Second, as I sit here alone at work closing up shop for the holiday week, I have to say that this post made me laugh aloud and I'm much more amused for it. Thanks, Pipsta, for easing up my stress some!
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I kill them

I usually spray fragrance 18 -27 times as well,I love when everybody smells my fragrance,and same time I dont care,what everybody thinks about my scent.I like to make people suffocate under my fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Hovo View Post
    I usually spray fragrance 18 -27 times as well,I love when everybody smells my fragrance,and same time I dont care,what everybody thinks about my scent.I like to make people suffocate under my fragrance

Not happened to me yet,. I will probably fire them.

cheers!

Hahahaha! Hamp, it really annoys the shit out of me too, and Diamond Flame, you're on the money there about throwing one back at them! I said once to someone, "Well, you see, you always reek of body odour, and not in a good way, so I decided to spray some fragrance on myself so I'd have the option of experiencing an alternatively pleasant stench to one. It's for me, not you). I was joking of course, but it shut them up!

Still, and I've been on the receiving end, sometimes people just reek of their cologne/perfume and because they've put so much on the smell becomes unpleasant. One time I went out with my Mum to watch a festival show and she had put on Gucci Rush. It was unbearable. I didn't say anything to her as I hate making people self conscious (and I hate others making me feel self conscious), either way I feel it's cruel to an extent, unless you're actually helping them in the long run. So I asked what she was wearing, and left it at that. She asked if I liked it, and I grit my teeth and said it smelled nice. My mum is fair, and surprisingly enough a while later I met a dark skinned transvestite wearing it and 'she' smelled very nice with it on.

Hamp - I think you are right about this. I find it is the same reaction some have to being nicely dressed, or just done up in a certain way. Because you're not common and casual, people think it's weird. But what they are really doing is showing how common and uncouth they are themselves by their comments - not that there is anything wrong with dressing casual, mind you. A lot of people say "Oh, I don't wear fragrance" like it makes them special or something. I can remember kissing a French girl in a friendly way on the cheek, noticing that she was wearing no perfume. I also noticed her body odour really didn't smell of much either. It actually bothered me. Maybe I met a reincarnation of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille in female form ;P

Lie. Tell them ' I know. The bottle spilled and I'd hoped I'd gotten most of it off. I hope the rest of my day goes better.' Laugh. Then ask if it would be rather a good smell if it were toned down, manipulating them into thinking you own something great and it was just an unfortunate day.

I've only encountered two types of people that overspray. A) the Brut guy, and B) the ADG/ Le Male guy. I have no problem with women's fragrance being loud, but it seems crude and immature when a man does it. The way women's fragrances create an aura around them, it seems more reasonable to have strong sillage, yet men's fragrances tend to attack instead of envelop and thus it's not something I care to encounter.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I've only encountered two types of people that overspray. A) the Brut guy, and B) the ADG/ Le Male guy....
    I think this is universal, because those are the 2 types of people I tend to run into from time to time. Well rather, I get stuck in their sillage. These incidences are daytime occurance's, of course. At night, I'm sure there are many Ed Hardy/Guess Jeans/Tap Out shirt wearing guys loading on whatever random fragrance they found on their shelf that evening.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I've never had it happen to me, but if I did I would thank them and silently judge their bad manners. It's only ever proper to comment on something that is immediately corrected: your fly is open or there's spinach in your teeth, and then they'd take them aside one would hope. Unless we're at someplace with a shower handy it's not cool to tell people they smell bad.

But I second the people who point out that perhaps she had a cold. Or was sick of smelling chilaquiles and was glad to smell you and had a cold. Don't grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

Take it with a grain of salt, then proceed to frown at the person followed by asking of the reason why and what their impression of it is. I'm mostly in closer quarters settings so I minimize sprays where possible.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

as mentioend above. North America is sensitive to perfume. I remember being the only student at my university to wear perfume on a daily basis. In fact, for a couple of semesters I stopped because I felt awkward, like the black sheep. Then I realized I smell good and they "dont get it".

Here in the middle east, there will be trails of scent behind each person walking.

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    Here in the middle east, there will be trails of scent behind each person walking.
    There's a neighbourhood close to mine with a lot of arab inhabitants, and I have to say that I enjoy those trails... Mostly. I don't love all fragrances, but I respect that others may like what I don't. They're just as entitled to wear what they like as I am to wear my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    There's a neighbourhood close to mine with a lot of arab inhabitants, and I have to say that I enjoy those trails... Mostly. I don't love all fragrances, but I respect that others may like what I don't. They're just as entitled to wear what they like as I am to wear my favourites.
    ofcourse anyway has the right to wear what they like. Luckily for me, I am mostly in upper class areas so the worst perfumes are those sickening commercial ones like givenchy, gucci (the newer ones), versace etc etc

well so far no but there was a funny incident:

i left some food in my bag which has got a strong smell, and it infected my keycard neck strap. I reached for my black orchid decant in the office and gave the strap a good 1-2 sprays.

When my assistant manage came in she instantly commented that today's perfume was too strong and she was getting a headache. I told her a bottle spilled.

I sprayed that at 8.30am and at 5pm she could still smell it.

i have worn black orchid a few times in the office and nobody said it was strong but when the thing hits the table in an airconditioned room...........

That response is a learned response. In particular, many people have learned to give that response when it is a man wearing the perfume. Because you see, it's only women that should wear perfume. There is an aspect of homophobia in this response towards men. Women will also get this response if they can be smelled across the room. Like I said, most people who complain have learned this from others.

Wear what you enjoy, but do keep in mind that you may get this response if you wear enough fragrance that is detectable at a distance.

Blog Entries

"You're wearing too much."
    "And...?"

That's my usual response. You gotta wear this stuff with confidence, it might even turn their impression of it around...or make you seem like a pompous ass. Regardless, I really just don't care if people think it's too much. This stuff used to give me awful headaches, now i wear 3 sprays of A*Men with no problems. So many people are too scared to test their own limits

I've only had it happen once, and it was with a friend. I was sort of embarrassed, but not really. I used to think anything over one spray was overkill, even though I wore really light fragrances. I have sort of changed a bit, and know when too much is too much. If I know I didn't put much on, and someone says something, I'll just act like I care about how they feel. The only time I'd feel sorry in that sort of situation is if they have allergy problems and it bothers their nose. Then that's something completely different. That's something they can't really help.
    Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quiet Innocence

3 sprays is quite strong. But I think it is the wrong environment. A man shouldn't wear a lot of perfume when he goes to a mexican or chinese restaurant. And definitely, never wear a woman's perfume when you enter a mexican or asian establishment. Show some respect for other cultures.

My usual response

would be well move away then

or something like that

Quiet Innocence

Thank God, we have no-smoking laws in our state.

I don't care, and btw that culture card is way overplayed, nobody is forcing others to come to this country (and I'm technically a foreigner in Brazil). Not that it seems very different from what you said about N. America, people around here are way too conservative and think men shouldn't wear anything or wear clearly manly scents, if there's even such a thing.
    I never overspray but there are some people who are sensitive and that's hardly my problem. Top notes also tend to be louder, but so what, I've got to put up with plenty of petty peeves from others all the time too, and those notes last 10 minutes if that long.
    As for that girl, my guess is she wasn't trying to piss you off in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by squatter View Post
    3 sprays is quite strong. But I think it is the wrong environment. A man shouldn't wear a lot of perfume when he goes to a mexican or chinese restaurant. And definitely, never wear a woman's perfume when you enter a mexican or asian establishment. Show some respect for other cultures.
    I'm Chinese and there is no problems with entering a Chinese restaurant with strong perfume. The moist towels that come after the Chinese dinner may very well be more scented than the average guy who bathe in his own perfume

Blog Entries

"Thanks!"
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

If this is just one reaction we're talking about, ignore it. If dozens of people give you that response, you might back off a little.