Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! Sorry if I've been a bad influence by supplying you with the civet-laden vintage stuff! () OK - maybe not really.
    I am so grateful to have a FB of vintage GG! Today it's just me and the dog at home, I gave myself 4 sprays!

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

I get embarrassed.

SMH at some of your replies.

Over-spraying is obnoxious and intrusive and I have always set myself to a classier standard.

If I break that standard, even if it's accidental, I feel embarrassed.

Just as I don't talk during movies, shout in the library, or pee on the toilet the toilet seat in public restrooms, I also try not to over-spray.

Allow others their personal space without imposing yours--it's common decency.

Blog Entries

On many many fragrances, I wear one (1) spray. And, my husband compliments me every day on my perfume...all 117 of them...except one. Portrait of a Lady, which makes him insane and he whines and complains...in which case, I ignore him. I mean you can't wear less than one spray...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    On many many fragrances, I wear one (1) spray. And, my husband compliments me every day on my perfume...all 117 of them...except one. Portrait of a Lady, which makes him insane and he whines and complains...in which case, I ignore him. I mean you can't wear less than one spray...
    You can always decant it and mix with perfumer's alcohol, or do the classic "spray in the air, and walk through"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    You can always decant it and mix with perfumer's alcohol, or do the classic "spray in the air, and walk through"
    Thanks for a great idea! Maybe I will try to dilute it...the "spray the air and walk through" method failed already.

He let me know tonight that "I can sell it if I want", and I said, "I know I can, I bought it because I like it."

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    ...my husband compliments me every day on my perfume...all 117 of them...except one. Portrait of a Lady, which makes him insane and he whines and complains...in which case, I ignore him...
    Hey Fleurine, I'll put on some Givenchy Gentleman, you spray on your Portrait of Lady, we'll go out to dinner together and leave the whiners home to fend for themselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Hey Fleurine, I'll put on some Givenchy Gentleman, you spray on your Portrait of Lady, we'll go out to dinner together and leave the whiners home to fend for themselves.
    This is why I love New York City. There's a great story around every corner!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    After dinner, we can go smoke hookahs, and pick up a bottle of Fumerie Turque, just to be spiteful.

Truly, it is oddly funny how PoL transforms my otherwise sweet husband into a dramatic, whiner. Is it oud that is offending him?

This hasn't happened to me as I'm pretty restrained with the sprayer. I don't find too much fragrance on others particularly attractive, much like too much makeup or too much cosmetic surgery, so I spray accordingly. I want to enhance my presence not mark my territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozjon701 View Post
    This hasn't happened to me as I'm pretty restrained with the sprayer. I don't find too much fragrance on others particularly attractive, much like too much makeup or too much cosmetic surgery, so I spray accordingly. I want to enhance my presence not mark my territory.
    Very well put. Same here.

It depends on how they say it. My uncle and his family basically just attacked me the other day when I got into the car, having sprayed Burberry London on recently. Yes, it was a tad strong because I had put it on in the last 5 min, and it was cold out so the car was heated and if might have gotten sickly and cloying, but man were they rude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I kill them
    lmao this guy is unbelievable, oh man that made me laugh hard. Ok on topic, it doesnt bother me as long as its nice. Thanks.

I truly admire anyone who over-sprays, wears too much make-up, dresses in extreme fashion; they are the necessary dissonance that make day-to-day life less monotonous.

I receive final judgement, it only happened once where I oversprayed and it was noticeable because I was in a tiny meetingroom with a lot of people.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

Ive had people say that they don't like a particular scent but I've never had someone say I was wearing too much

3 sprays of Aventus and it's too much? I'm relieved I bought 1 million just to collect the gold bar bottle.
    Me, I'd promptly say sorry for overdoing and walk away if complained directly. Otherwise, I don't know you are thinking LOL.

I kill them
    I find that just a tad extreme. Usually a good beating will suffice.

Perfume is my beautiful little secret and I enjoy being the only one who can smell it. Others can smell it if they hug me, and if they like what they smell perhaps I will get many more hugs. If they don't like it I'm happy to shake hands.

I'm going to try diluting Aventus, I have come to realize it IS too strong, even one spray can be too much. I have had mostly good reactions with Aventus, but a couple hints dropped that it is very strong.

I don't want to be smelled outside of my personal space unless it is just a whiff of sillage from moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    If this is just one reaction we're talking about, ignore it. If dozens of people give you that response, you might back off a little.
    Agree w/ this. There is a chance they are correct. It is easy to get carried away when you absolutely love a scent like many of us do on here.

Never had that problem

I kill them
    But, if they have the hots for you (as in the OP's post) you might re-think that position.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    I went to order some food at the local mexican place and some girl that works there(18 yr old) has the hots for me. Anyway before I got there I took a shower and used 3 sprays of Aventus(one on left wrist, then pressed wrists, one on neck and one t-shirt). So I walk in and they says "hey you smell nice..." then starts lightly coughing and blames it on 'allergies'. She then walks behind the counter, coughs again then takes my order. I pretty much just smiled and proceeded with my order. That was the first time someone(outside of my family) mentioned I was wearing too much fragrance(albeit indirectly).

How do you react? I mean I certainly don't want to EVER be a guy that wears too much fragrance. I'd rather have the majority of people not smell me at all then overdo it.
    i wouldn't argue or criticize them or justify. if someone says i'm wearing too much (which rarely happens) i will say "oh, i'm sorry. i'll remember that for next time" and just move on.

Only happened a couple of times and usually when testing a new fragrance, unfortunately I get a little embarrassed then heat up a bit so my already oversprayed cologne projects even more, exacerbating the problem. I can usually tell when I have oversprayed though and I'll try to not get too close to people for a bit until it dies down

The only two people who have said anything were both profoundly mentally ill. They can have great insight, but I was also wearing two loud fragrances in Kouros and Lauder for Men. :-) It just confirmed for me how strong they are. The Lauder perhaps not so much anymore since it has been reformulated.

I did not read the whole thread because just the title reminded me of the incident. I was young in the subway in my student days I was wearing one of my then favorite perfumes Cinnabar, Estee Lauder and some nutcase started screaming like real vitriolic verbal nasty complaints about how I smelled not some words I like repeating in print. Put me off wearing fragrance in public for years left me upset for a long time.
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

I just keep nice and quiet go to next room or excuse myself an head to laboratory for break and do ignore comment routine ...Cheerios

Mini RANT: Btw I want all my post added to my account please...Thx Grant

So far it always happened only in an indirect way; people come into a room where I'm not the only one to be in and shout "Someone used way too much perfume in here". I then turn red for a moment before I collect myself. If someone would address me directly like that I suppose my anger would prevail and I certainly would reply rudely that nowadays it needs a lot of perfume to cover up the common stink (of some public places, of some hardcore-only-fresh-soap-user and so on).

Furthermore, what makes me furious beyond the borders of the decent (and I even don't know why exactly) are those persons that believe their "own" skin scent is the best perfume in the world. From time to time you can watch these persons at work, when in some common, non-specialized magazine articles about fragrances appear. Then there are always some of those online commenters who state that the person who uses a fragrance had something to hide and that the "fragrance of the self" had a higher dignity than industrial products. Oh yes, I can imagine how these persons revel in their own stink and make life harder for those who have to be around them. So much about the resentment. Now, if people of such kind put me in the pillory for having oversprayed (which might happen unintentionally), my ire knows no limits.
    Last edited by Tristram; 30th October 2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add rant

I just say 'Fuck Off' !