Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

I find that, most often when such comments are either made outright or even implied by someone's actions, they're right - it is too much; I overdid it.

There is a thing such as over spraying and according to the numbers mentioned by many people here, a lot of BNers over spray, frequently. I don't think becoming all self-righteous over it is the proper response, and those who mentioned they'd insult the person in return are merely stooping to (or below) the level of the person who confronted them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

It usually doesn't happen since I test scents before I go out into the world. I've only gotten one negative comment, but only that he didn't like it as much. I sat next to this guy for 3 years. One day, wearing Bond's So New York, he said that it wasn't as nice as my other perfumes. I wear perfume lightly, for myself. I never knew he noticed. He went on to say, it was nice sitting next to me, because I didnt over do it, but that one wasn't as nice. So New York is strong and doesn't evolve. All my other scents change over time.

It's never happened but if it did I'd just reply "No, I'm wearing enough for me."
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I find that, most often when such comments are either made outright or even implied by someone's actions, they're right - it is too much; I overdid it.

There is a thing such as over spraying and according to the numbers mentioned by many people here, a lot of BNers over spray, frequently. I don't think becoming all self-righteous over it is the proper response, and those who mentioned they'd insult the person in return are merely stooping to (or below) the level of the person who confronted them.

WOW this is deep...

u must be very sensitive...

Quote Originally Posted by electrorock View Post
    WOW this is deep...

u must be very sensitive...
    At least he doesn't act and type like a boy in junior high. Do U get it ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Well, I don't use heavy applications in the first place, but if I did, and someone told me about it politely, I'd probably thank them and reconsider my application next time I used that scent. Because honestly, most of the time when we overapply, we don't realize it. Feedback on sillage can be useful.

If they were rude about it, I'd probably say something snarky and walk away, but still reconsider my application later.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I very rarely hear that, and usually only from my somewhat fragrance-sensitive mother. I find it hard to take that without feeling a little defensive, since I know that I usually apply rather moderately (1-3 sprays on average) and since I usually can't do much about it once it happens.

Half the time the offending fragrance isn't actually my SotD either, since I know which ones work for her, but a scented grooming product of some sort - I generally avoid those, don't like the scents nine times out of ten, and even if I do I don't like them interfering with my chosen fragrances. It's difficult to go completely fragrance-free, though.

I really think it's rather rude to comment negatively on someone else's fragrance unless you are truly, genuinely sensitive and physically bothered by that particular fragrance, though, and I also think it's more a case of petty dislike nine times out of ten. If my allergic mother is anything to go by, the worst offenders are not perfumes, but fragranced grooming products, especially hairspray, fabric softeners and the like, which I'm willing to bet that many of those sensitive types wear quite happily themselves.

Exactly, and something we can all agree on, the vast majority of grooming products stink. I'm considering swapping to very, very light use of coconut soap as most normal soap smell truly gross and I have no idea what would be an affordable alternative.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

I have never had the experience of anyone saying anything negative about my fragrances fortunately.

Come on N_Tesla, what's the point of posting if you're not going to tell us some hilariously embarrassing and soul-destroying story about how you cleared a room with your stink bomb of a fragrance!?

Let's everyone get in on the action here....come on, confess! Tell us about the people you choked half to death with your impactful sillage fart!

And electrorock, you might be right, but it's fun insulting the people who insulted you in the first place. You aren't really stooping to their level, you're just keeping them on their toes. After all, there IS a chance they may stink themselves! Otherwise all parties involved are just taking things too seriously!

there were several instances when people either told me I was wearing a bit much or rolled down the car windows, but they were almost always right after I applied a fragrance.

while pleasing other people is not my main goal in wearing frags, I definitely don't want to bother them. If people in my proximity are bothered, I cut back, and I would expect the same from every decent person.

I was in a botanic garden filled with beautiful-smelling flowers which I commented on. My companion's reply was, "Well, right now I can only smell you." He didn't say it in a disgusted manner so I took it as a compliment on my fragrance. I was wearing L'Instant de Guerlain. That's the only time somebody implied that I was wearing too much perfume. Maybe there are fragrances you can wear "too much" of without offending anyone.

Good heavens. How could anyone be so rude?

The other day I was on one of those buses you take from the Park 'N Ride to the airport. As I passed by, an older lady with a sour-looking expression waved her fingers in the air. Of course she could have simply been dismissing a pesky fly. So I waved back and gave her a big friendly smile.

There will always be cranks. But life is too short to worry about them.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I have had to put up with so much body odor and over-the-top vanilla spritzes on women that I would welcome the opportunity to say something in reply to a derogatory comment about a fragrance. But I always try to be very considerate, and have never received much commentary, good or bad, about my (excellent) smell. Truth be told, I am probably too considerate to give a biting retort, however well-deserved, and that truth in itself might just be keeping some other mouths well shut.

No one has had the Audacity to ever say that to me. If anyone did ever have that much nerve, I would probably just look at them with disdain.
    I really do not care what others think of my fragrance, nor do I value their opinions. I ask neither friend nor stranger for their opinions when choosing something to buy, any item whether fragrance, clothing, etc... Why would I be bothered with a comment on something I own or wear already. Some people just need to be ignored or just remain invisible.
    But that is just me and my way

Also, 3 sprays is far from overkill...unless it were pure civet tincture. That is something only I would do
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

How I react depends on my level of familiarity.

I have a sensitive nose so I tend to go easy on the cologne, especially if it's an EDP and it's got something animalic in it like musk and/or civet. To be quite honest, I think I've only ever had three complaints--once from my father (who is notorious in my family as a scent-hater; in fact, I'm surprised we're related given my tendency toward olfactory hedonism), and once from an attractive young lady. In both cases it was because I had dosed right before getting out of my car. The third case was another chemist who had worked with some heavy duty aromatic chemicals (by that I mean polycylic) and had developed an allergy that would give her headaches!

As far as the attractive young lady goes, I apologized and asked if the smell was good or bad. She said it was a great smell, but a bit overwhelming. Regarding the PhD, I simply stand in the laboratory by the fume hood when i need to talk to her :-)

I think a lot depends on the fragrance--Kouros is a whole different animal than say John Varvatos Classic.

I finally managed to scare people, a bit on purpose to see how faces of disgust are when overwhelming sillage is around.
    I sprayed Incanto 10-12 times, that stuff lasts short but it's loud and not super pleasant.
    Haha, it was hilarious.
    I'm also reassured now my usual light hand wearing quality designer does have silent fans.

"Yeah, I kinda overdid it a little. Sorry." Mildly guilty look, shrug. Then I move on with my day.

For those of you that simply don't care what others think- have you ever had he table turned on you? ie, you are the one being choked out by someone who sprayed too much?

I remember my first time in an office environment and I was pulled aside by my manager within the first week, to let me know that my perfume was too strong- it was so embarrassing! I felt really crappy, knowing that I was causing unpleasantness to some people and they were talking about it with me being the last to know. I took it on board and wore much less after that. I felt like someone who had their skirt tucked into their pantyhose with a trail of toilet paper hanging out lol

Turned out, the complaint was actually from one old lady who was so precious about everything, that I couldn't even have a tester strip in my handbag from lunchtime perfume browsing that she couldn't sniff out with her bloodhound nose! She would start dramatically coughing and sticking her tongue out, and mumble under her breath about the "smell". The good news is, before I left that job, I ended up turning the other ladies in my work group into budding perfumistas I bet that gave her the rats!

In my experience, I have found that men are more likely to overdo it with fragrance, than women. Some of those colognes are just suffocating, they are so strong and acrid, like nuclear vapour that crawls up your nose and takes a toxic dump in there. It doesnt help that mens fragrances tend to be itchy, spicy, herbal-woody things. I once knew a guy that wore Kouros and my eyes would water whenever he came near. He insisted he only sprayed 2-3 times, but its like, dude, it doesnt matter how many times you spray, its how strong the stuff is. Sometimes half, or one spray is enough.

I can only do one half spray of Fracas and thats on the navel only- anything else and its too much!

Has not happened to me yet. I'd probably just say "yeah, it is quite strong, isn't it?"

Dependent

Luckily, I never got negative comments like this. The only person that ever says I'm wearing too much cologne is my father, and he's the kind of guy that thinks if he can smell it then you're wearing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    For those of you that simply don't care what others think- have you ever had he table turned on you? ie, you are the one being choked out by someone who sprayed too much?
    Agreed.

I have had to speak to one of my employees about this. She wears (I think) Poison and insists on re-applying it every two hours. She wears enough to stun a small horse, you can literally chew the air around her. I gently explained to her that just because she couldn't smell it after a while, it doesn't mean that others can't, it's a bit like how everyone's house has a smell to it but yours doesn't (basically anosmia), and she toned it down a bit.

Personally, my maxim is that if you can constantly smell your own fragrance, you've got waaaay too much on.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post
    I once knew a guy that wore Kouros and my eyes would water whenever he came near. He insisted he only sprayed 2-3 times, but its like, dude, it doesnt matter how many times you spray, its how strong the stuff is. Sometimes half, or one spray is enough.
    I believe 2.5 sprays of Kouros caused the 1982 Lebanon war.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    I have had to speak to one of my employees about this. She wears (I think) Poison and insists on re-applying it every two hours.
    Turns out that's a crime punishable by the death penalty here in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Has not happened to me yet. I'd probably just say "yeah, it is quite strong, isn't it?"
    Same here...with the only difference that it actually happened to me a couple of times.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My partner goes insane whenever I spray Givenchy Gentleman, other times he's quite inquisitive. When someone is reacting negatively I try to ignore them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Agreed.

I have had to speak to one of my employees about this. She wears (I think) Poison and insists on re-applying it every two hours. She wears enough to stun a small horse, you can literally chew the air around her. I gently explained to her that just because she couldn't smell it after a while, it doesn't mean that others can't, it's a bit like how everyone's house has a smell to it but yours doesn't (basically anosmia), and she toned it down a bit.

Personally, my maxim is that if you can constantly smell your own fragrance, you've got waaaay too much on.
    But, you know, the great thing was that she got this advice from a perfume lover. I can't think of anyone more likely to deliver such news with a bit of sympathy and understanding. Sounds like it was taken well. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    My partner goes insane whenever I spray Givenchy Gentleman, other times he's quite inquisitive. When someone is reacting negatively I try to ignore them.
    LOL! Sorry if I've been a bad influence by supplying you with the civet-laden vintage stuff! ()

OK - maybe not really.

Thank you RP. That's exactly what I set out to achieve.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL! Sorry if I've been a bad influence by supplying you with the civet-laden vintage stuff! () OK - maybe not really.
    I am so grateful to have a FB of vintage GG! Today it's just me and the dog at home, I gave myself 4 sprays!

I get embarrassed.

SMH at some of your replies.

Over-spraying is obnoxious and intrusive and I have always set myself to a classier standard.

If I break that standard, even if it's accidental, I feel embarrassed.

Just as I don't talk during movies, shout in the library, or pee on the toilet the toilet seat in public restrooms, I also try not to over-spray.

Allow others their personal space without imposing yours--it's common decency.

Blog Entries

On many many fragrances, I wear one (1) spray. And, my husband compliments me every day on my perfume...all 117 of them...except one. Portrait of a Lady, which makes him insane and he whines and complains...in which case, I ignore him. I mean you can't wear less than one spray...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    On many many fragrances, I wear one (1) spray. And, my husband compliments me every day on my perfume...all 117 of them...except one. Portrait of a Lady, which makes him insane and he whines and complains...in which case, I ignore him. I mean you can't wear less than one spray...
    You can always decant it and mix with perfumer's alcohol, or do the classic "spray in the air, and walk through"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    You can always decant it and mix with perfumer's alcohol, or do the classic "spray in the air, and walk through"
    Thanks for a great idea! Maybe I will try to dilute it...the "spray the air and walk through" method failed already.

He let me know tonight that "I can sell it if I want", and I said, "I know I can, I bought it because I like it."

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    ...my husband compliments me every day on my perfume...all 117 of them...except one. Portrait of a Lady, which makes him insane and he whines and complains...in which case, I ignore him...
    Hey Fleurine, I'll put on some Givenchy Gentleman, you spray on your Portrait of Lady, we'll go out to dinner together and leave the whiners home to fend for themselves.

Blog Entries

Hey Fleurine, I'll put on some Givenchy Gentleman, you spray on your Portrait of Lady, we'll go out to dinner together and leave the whiners home to fend for themselves.
    This is why I love New York City. There's a great story around every corner!

Blog Entries

After dinner, we can go smoke hookahs, and pick up a bottle of Fumerie Turque, just to be spiteful.

Truly, it is oddly funny how PoL transforms my otherwise sweet husband into a dramatic, whiner. Is it oud that is offending him?

This hasn't happened to me as I'm pretty restrained with the sprayer. I don't find too much fragrance on others particularly attractive, much like too much makeup or too much cosmetic surgery, so I spray accordingly. I want to enhance my presence not mark my territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozjon701 View Post
    This hasn't happened to me as I'm pretty restrained with the sprayer. I don't find too much fragrance on others particularly attractive, much like too much makeup or too much cosmetic surgery, so I spray accordingly. I want to enhance my presence not mark my territory.
    Very well put. Same here.

It depends on how they say it. My uncle and his family basically just attacked me the other day when I got into the car, having sprayed Burberry London on recently. Yes, it was a tad strong because I had put it on in the last 5 min, and it was cold out so the car was heated and if might have gotten sickly and cloying, but man were they rude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I kill them
    lmao this guy is unbelievable, oh man that made me laugh hard. Ok on topic, it doesnt bother me as long as its nice. Thanks.

I truly admire anyone who over-sprays, wears too much make-up, dresses in extreme fashion; they are the necessary dissonance that make day-to-day life less monotonous.

I receive final judgement, it only happened once where I oversprayed and it was noticeable because I was in a tiny meetingroom with a lot of people.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Ive had people say that they don't like a particular scent but I've never had someone say I was wearing too much

3 sprays of Aventus and it's too much? I'm relieved I bought 1 million just to collect the gold bar bottle.
    Me, I'd promptly say sorry for overdoing and walk away if complained directly. Otherwise, I don't know you are thinking LOL.

I kill them
    I find that just a tad extreme. Usually a good beating will suffice.

Perfume is my beautiful little secret and I enjoy being the only one who can smell it. Others can smell it if they hug me, and if they like what they smell perhaps I will get many more hugs. If they don't like it I'm happy to shake hands.

I'm going to try diluting Aventus, I have come to realize it IS too strong, even one spray can be too much. I have had mostly good reactions with Aventus, but a couple hints dropped that it is very strong.

I don't want to be smelled outside of my personal space unless it is just a whiff of sillage from moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    If this is just one reaction we're talking about, ignore it. If dozens of people give you that response, you might back off a little.
    Agree w/ this. There is a chance they are correct. It is easy to get carried away when you absolutely love a scent like many of us do on here.

Never had that problem

I kill them
    But, if they have the hots for you (as in the OP's post) you might re-think that position.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    I went to order some food at the local mexican place and some girl that works there(18 yr old) has the hots for me. Anyway before I got there I took a shower and used 3 sprays of Aventus(one on left wrist, then pressed wrists, one on neck and one t-shirt). So I walk in and they says "hey you smell nice..." then starts lightly coughing and blames it on 'allergies'. She then walks behind the counter, coughs again then takes my order. I pretty much just smiled and proceeded with my order. That was the first time someone(outside of my family) mentioned I was wearing too much fragrance(albeit indirectly).

How do you react? I mean I certainly don't want to EVER be a guy that wears too much fragrance. I'd rather have the majority of people not smell me at all then overdo it.
    i wouldn't argue or criticize them or justify. if someone says i'm wearing too much (which rarely happens) i will say "oh, i'm sorry. i'll remember that for next time" and just move on.

Only happened a couple of times and usually when testing a new fragrance, unfortunately I get a little embarrassed then heat up a bit so my already oversprayed cologne projects even more, exacerbating the problem. I can usually tell when I have oversprayed though and I'll try to not get too close to people for a bit until it dies down

The only two people who have said anything were both profoundly mentally ill. They can have great insight, but I was also wearing two loud fragrances in Kouros and Lauder for Men. :-) It just confirmed for me how strong they are. The Lauder perhaps not so much anymore since it has been reformulated.

I did not read the whole thread because just the title reminded me of the incident. I was young in the subway in my student days I was wearing one of my then favorite perfumes Cinnabar, Estee Lauder and some nutcase started screaming like real vitriolic verbal nasty complaints about how I smelled not some words I like repeating in print. Put me off wearing fragrance in public for years left me upset for a long time.
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

I just keep nice and quiet go to next room or excuse myself an head to laboratory for break and do ignore comment routine ...Cheerios

Mini RANT: Btw I want all my post added to my account please...Thx Grant

So far it always happened only in an indirect way; people come into a room where I'm not the only one to be in and shout "Someone used way too much perfume in here". I then turn red for a moment before I collect myself. If someone would address me directly like that I suppose my anger would prevail and I certainly would reply rudely that nowadays it needs a lot of perfume to cover up the common stink (of some public places, of some hardcore-only-fresh-soap-user and so on).

Furthermore, what makes me furious beyond the borders of the decent (and I even don't know why exactly) are those persons that believe their "own" skin scent is the best perfume in the world. From time to time you can watch these persons at work, when in some common, non-specialized magazine articles about fragrances appear. Then there are always some of those online commenters who state that the person who uses a fragrance had something to hide and that the "fragrance of the self" had a higher dignity than industrial products. Oh yes, I can imagine how these persons revel in their own stink and make life harder for those who have to be around them. So much about the resentment. Now, if people of such kind put me in the pillory for having oversprayed (which might happen unintentionally), my ire knows no limits.
    Last edited by Tristram; 30th October 2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add rant

I just say 'Fuck Off' !