Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I just say 'Fuck Off' !
    I imagine not to their faces.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: How do you react when people tell you you're wearing too much fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I imagine not to their faces.
    No, I write them a letter

Why not to their faces? They are being ultra rude in commenting in the first place and should keep their stupid comments to themselves

It literally has happened once and I knew I did it so I was not exactly surprised when one person made that comment. I literally had doused myself in Oud Isphan because I didn't realize that it was actually strong.

It's never happened to me, but I remember a few instances in the 80s when it probably should have.

But with respect to the commenting itself, I think if they keep it polite I'd be fine with it, and use my own judgment whether they're being reasonable.

Also some people DO actually over-apply. My husband, who is not sensitive to fragrance in anyway (his norm was 3 sprays until I interceded) once told me a colleague over-fragranced himself to an extent where his (my husband's) eyes started watering whenever he was in the same room as the guy. So... it happens, sometimes we make mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    I'm general, you should react the same way as you would if someone told you that your fly was open or your shirt-tail hanging out: you blush a bit, thank the person descretely, and then fix the problem.
    Yeah this pretty much sums up what I would do but then try and make a joke out of the situation.

When someone tells me that I am wearing too much, I just reach for their hand and say "now that I have your attention, I think we should go someplace private"

I have cycled through 4 jobs in the last 4 months.

She just wants your attention.

Blog Entries

It is a good conversation starter. It could be a line.

Anyhoo, I would turn it into a conversation about perfumes in general, Basenotes, Forums, and sift out the opinion of the "attacker".
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Oh well, a SA in town the other day told me that "you should not be able to smell your own perfume". I politely said that I disagreed. She said "NO, if you can smell your own perfume, you are wearing too much". I said no, I don't agree with that. I like to catch my own trail or smell my fragrance from my skin, at which point she got very bossy and said with great emphasis, "well the experts say that if you can smell your own perfume you are wearing too much. *gasp*

I bet the experts in marketing don't agree with that one.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I bet the experts in marketing would prefer you empty the whole bottle any time you reach for a fragrance, just so you can go buy another bottle, and another, and another...

Blog Entries

The experts on marketing also put on a shampoo bottle as instructions to "wash your hair twice" as if one good wash wasn't good enough.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by scentgent View Post
    I have cycled through 4 jobs in the last 4 months.
    Is that perhaps because you do wear way too much fragrance and people keep dropping dead around you?

Sorry, no offense intended, this is a legitimate question - wasn't sure what your comment was meant to imply - the only thing I came up with was that getting fired four times in four months (!!!) was due to the overuse of fragrances in workplace. Otherwise, I don't see how this fits in with the topic of this thread...?

This is something I thought about after a local tea house opening where someone voiced a snide, "I know," when I said I love rose. Only then did I realize I'd stood spraying away that morning, lost in thought, perfume bottle in hand. I probably reeked of rose, but it hadn't bothered me one bit. Where does our right to enjoy perfume end? At another person's asphyxiation, I suppose. Since that's subjective, I say prepare a few graceful apologies in advance, just in case, then err on the side of pleasing oneself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Oh well, a SA in town the other day told me that "you should not be able to smell your own perfume". I politely said that I disagreed. She said "NO, if you can smell your own perfume, you are wearing too much". I said no, I don't agree with that. I like to catch my own trail or smell my fragrance from my skin, at which point she got very bossy and said with great emphasis, "well the experts say that if you can smell your own perfume you are wearing too much. *gasp*

LOL!

Never been told that I wear too much. Maybe I've been around some polite people though cause sometimes I can really douse myself!

OK, what's the point of wearing perfume if you CAN'T smell it yourself? LOL. *lame*.

:-) ... it was only once, it was some Tauer scent, it was a lovely moment back then. (So this post might be not for reference :-):
    I met my beloved one on a parking lot in deep countryside. Back then we didn`t meet each other every day. So she smelled me and said: "Hell, you`ve been bathing in this lovely scent, didn`t you. But hey, I don`t give a damn." And she kissed me. Great.

Otherwise I have never heard any complaints. I`d possibly ignore it for I know I don`t overdo it, even if I take one or two spitzes more from time to time. It`s only perfume. It`s certainly GOOD perfume. And depending on the situation maybe I`d ask: "Don`t we have more significant problems on this planet?"
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

I used to do 4-5 sprays when I started getting into perfume, but I can't anymore. I do 2 sprays max because ironically I found I'm very sensitive to scent and I get sick of myself by the end of the day.

Only once did this happen. The lady checking out my purchases at JC Penneys made a horrible sneering face and asked if I was wearing perfume. Even though I felt rather insulted, I pretended innocence and asked if she liked it. All I got in answer from her was a blank mean stare, after which I said I'd be happy to write down the name if she would like. She never said another word to me and I walked away with my package chuckling a little.

Just tell the person they are wearing too much ugly lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

never happened to me, but if it did probably something along the lines of what gollnick wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Just tell the person they are wearing too much ugly lol
    Ha! Reminds me of that Churchill quip to a woman who accused him of drunkenness, i.e., how he'd be sober in the morning but she'd still be ugly.

Start talking very loudly and wear ugly clothes, because why not go all the way in being an asshole.

Oh, and then call everyone else rude, because my special snowflake status puts me above reproach. So unfortunate there nearly 8 billion other people on the planet who don't know what they're talking about when they express an opinion about what they like. Must be the backwards societal norms they were raised with. Well, screw their entire communities and families for disagreeing with me.

Thankfully, I have never had it happen to me so far. But I can see some of my recent Amouage purchases could tip the scales some. Especially, Amouage Woman extrait just one spray is all that's needed on that one. Interlude Man projects like a beast to. I believe both bottle will last me a long period of time.

I've never been told that yet. I've told my coworkers to let me know if something is too strong or it bothers them. I spray conservatively though when I'm at work.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I spray them with it.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I spray them with it.
    That will teach them!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I tell them my armpits always smell really bad and this is the only way not to offend people.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.