Code of Conduct

Thread: Fresh fragrance

Default Fresh fragrance

I love Cool Water, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to last very long on me at all (not even 3 hours is my guess) Neither is the projection very good.

I'd like a fragrance which is as good as -or better- than Cool Water, but lasts longer. I don't want to spend too much on it either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Fresh fragrance

What do you guys think about Vetiver Guerlain compared to Cool Water?

Green Irish Tweed is what youre looking for!

Ah mate, I did say I didn't want to spend too much ;p GIT is like £100+

Blog Entries

Check out Acqua di Gio, Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, or L'eau D'Issey.

I've been looking at Acqua di Gio, seems quite popular. I've also been looking at Vetiver which is a little cheaper and has even more reviews. Which one do you reckon is better in terms of smell and longevity?

L'eau D'Issey is 8+ hours for longevity. I also recommend Versace Pour Homme.
    Last edited by remixx; 27th November 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Daniel + Jonny + Neurosis = The 3 BFF Amigos <3

L'eau D'issey is a beast and i tried Chanel Edition blanche 2day and its long lasting and im considering buying it myself

Get the Guerlain Vetiver. A classic fragrance you can wear all year, anywhere, anytime.

Unbound for men or Nautica Voyage, perhaps?

Blog Entries

If you have tried Guerlain Vetiver and like it, then go for it. It will likely give you the longevity you are seeking. I don't recommend blind buying anything though. But especially Guerlain Vetiver. Vetiver as a note takes some getting used to, and can be harsh smelling initially. Also I find Guerlains version to be quite mature smelling. I think it would be even more mature smelling compared to Cool Water. Definitely try it first if you can.

L'eau d'Issey Miyake pour homme

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    If you have tried Guerlain Vetiver and like it, then go for it. It will likely give you the longevity you are seeking. I don't recommend blind buying anything though. But especially Guerlain Vetiver. Vetiver as a note takes some getting used to, and can be harsh smelling initially. Also I find Guerlains version to be quite mature smelling. I think it would be even more mature smelling compared to Cool Water. Definitely try it first if you can.
    +1 on that. Try before you buy. If you like it, then by all means...

+1 on L'eau d'Issey - It is a really long lasting fragrance.

Acqua di Gio is pretty safe. You can often find it discounted in gift sets.

Sur la Plage

+++++ Guerlain Vetiver
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Like I said, I had some longevity issues with Cool Water ...which I wasn't expecting because the majority of people seem to get decent longevity out of it. I wonder whether these other fragrances will be any better? Has anyone else had longevity issues with Cool Water, but the opposite with Vetiver or the others here?

Thanks!

How does Carolina Herrera 212 compete with Vetiver, ADG and Issey? Any good?

It's interesting that you had a problem with longevity with Cool Water. I couldn't wash it off and still detected it the next morning.

Yeah strange ;/ I've had ok longevity with Paco Rabanne's 1 million... but I don't particular like the fragrance. Those are pretty much the only fragrances I've owned. I guess some fragrances just work better with different skin types? Iunno.

Azzaro Visit
    Solo Loewe

Blog Entries

I usually get good longevity out of most fragrances, and I would consider Cool Water average. This means I can get around a full 8-9 hour workday out of it. What bugs me with Cool Water is that the top notes (my favorite part) are even more fleeting than many fragrances. This can give the impression of poor longevity. But the base notes, and especially the lavender, do hang around for a while. I do really miss the original Vintage Cool Water.

As for 212 Men, it doesn't get much love on here, but I do like it. I think it may be a good move for a Cool Water lover. It is quite a bit spicier, but projection and longevity are better though. Give it a try.

I'll look into 212 a little more. It's going for £28.95 here for the 100ml... whereas ADG and Issey take you into the £40-£50s for 100ml.

Thanks mate

you could just buy an atomizer & top up throughout the day... you can get 5 for £3 on ebay...

If you want longevity and fresh these are that will suit your needs.

Chrome
    L'eau D'issey
    212 Men
    Allure Homme Sport
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

L'eau D'issey and allure homme sport, both get 8 hours easy on my skin.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

Quote Originally Posted by stinkfoot View Post
    you could just buy an atomizer & top up throughout the day... you can get 5 for £3 on ebay...
    I'd have to reapply like every couple of hours :O

I like the price of 212 men, and apparently it has great longevity. Has some decent reviews. My only concern is that perhaps it will be a little too feminine compared to CW? I don't want anything like Paco Rabanne's 1 Million that's for sure. And I want something I can wear everyday without breaking the bank.

What do you guys think? Is 212 going to be too feminine compared to CW?

Blog Entries

To me 212 is even more masculine than Cool Water. The lavender in Cool Water can give a feminine vibe to me at times.

Sur la Plage

I would recommend trying:

Guy Laroche Horizon
    Hugh Parsons Blue
    Aramis New West for Him

All are much better than 212 Men IMO.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th November 2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ok then, guess I'm going for 212! Fingers crossed I get some longevity out of it!

Just ordered it. Hopefully get it Thursday/Friday. Thank you guys.

+1 to Issey, in the same range as AdG but better and less common.

Just for discussion's sake i'll also throw Bvlgari Aqua out there.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hope you will enjoy 212 Men. I personally did not enjoy it and it smells like cut grass to me.
    Daniel + Jonny + Neurosis = The 3 BFF Amigos <3

I hope I enjoy it too If not, the last fragrance I'll try is Issey... I'm not fragrance mad I just want one fragrance which I like and lasts on me :P

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    Plus One.

@ OP - DEFINITELY SAMPLE first, with GV. If you're into old-world-smelling, GV is a gem. It is a dull fresh (oxymoron I know..). I finally hopped off the GV bandwagon when I grew out of trying to love it. Give Mugler Cologne a shot, when you're trying the GV, if you haven't already, either. Have fun!!

Have you tried Versace Pour Homme, its my favorite fresh scent and very much like cool water but last 6-8hrs on my skin
    My Current Fav List
    ---------
    1. Burberry - London
    2. Bvlgari - Man
    3. Bvlgari - AQVA pour Homme
    4. Gucci - Pour Homme II
    5. Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    6. John Varvatos - John Varvatos
    7. Burberry - Touch
    8. Versace - Pour Homme
    9. Armani - Code
    10. Jean Paul Gaultier - LE MALE
    11. True Religion - True Religion/For Men
    12. Halston - Z-14

PB, how long did CW last on your skin?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    +1 to Issey, in the same range as AdG but better and less common.

Just for discussion's sake i'll also throw Bvlgari Aqua out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parallel Bisector View Post
    Have you tried Versace Pour Homme, its my favorite fresh scent and very much like cool water but last 6-8hrs on my skin
    Both of these are great recommendations. Aqva is one of my favorite fragrances, and is a salty aquatic. It is probably one of the best representations of the ocean I've smelled. Versace Pour Homme I have always described as a mature Acqua di Gio. Some smell a resemblance to Allure Homme Sport, but I get more of a resemblance to AdG (only classier). Both have excellent longevity.

Blog Entries

What about

Escada pour Homme Light Silver Edition by Escada

212 men hasn't arrived yet, my guess is due to the weather in he UK at the moment. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Ok just sprayed it... not so impressed... but from the reviews I was expecting it to start off like that. Hopefully it will develop into something nice :P

I second Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey Pour Homme, last very long for a fresh scent, and is an AMAZING fragrance

Live Jazz - YSL

Yachting

if you love cool water but miss its longevity , probably you like egoiste platinum : a finest cool water with a very good longevity

Yeah so I haven't been very impressed with 212. I prefer Cool Water; much much better in my opinion. 212 lasts quite long though, I have to give it that.

212 sucks. Smells like grass.

Hah :P Well it's quite popular so I thought it would be a safe buy; so I guess I learnt something. Anyway, since I paid for it I'll wear it -- I don't HATE it... but I really do think Cool Water is so much better... shame it's longevity sucks on me though otherwise it would be the perfect fragrance for me.

My search is still ongoing guys... I want Cool Water but with better longevity and projection... there must be something out there surely?

Thumbs up Re: Fresh fragrance

+1 Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    I must agree, this is very cool so fresh fragrance!

Chanel Allure is a little too expensive for me. Hopefully will be getting L'eau D'issey this week

Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Chanel Allure is a little too expensive for me. Hopefully will be getting L'eau D'issey this week
    Bulgari aqua marine is cheaper than L´eau d´issey and smell very good.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    You are right, expensive scent for me also... it's only on my "wish list".

Chrome by Azzaro
    Challenge by Lacoste
    Play by Givenchy
    There is nothing better than getting compliments on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News