Code of Conduct

Default suggestions for girlfriend

OK everyone, so since I am new here I didn't realize there was such an art to selecting the perfect scent. I had asked for a replacement scent for my girlfriend( Glamourous) but am learning that according to what I have read the scent should match the look and personality so I am going to start over and just ask for suggestions. First a little about her, she is about 5' 1" about 120 pounds, with shoulder length dark brown hair, with gorgeous hazel eyes. Her dress is usually office type wear, pant suits, dresses. She is almost always upbeat with a smile and very outgoing personality. I know I am asking a lot but from what I have read here there seems to be an abundance of experts to help me out so Thank You in advance.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: suggestions for girlfriend

Welcome to Basenotes, Glenn!

One that I have bought recently and really like is First Love by Van Cleef & Arpels. If she really liked the Ralph Lauren Glamourous she might like another of his called Love, Ralph Lauren. Other favorites would be 24 Faubourg by Hermes, Hypnotic Poison or Miss Dior Cherie both by Dior, Idylle by Guerlain, Elle or Young, Sexy, Lovely both by Yves Saint Laurent, Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel.

I'm sure you'll get alot of suggestions. I hope you find the perfect one for your girlfriend!
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

If you're looking for a gift, we generally discourage buying a whole bottle blindly. Whether as a present or a personal project, sampling proves both fun and more fruitful in turning up a couple fragrances that will make everybody happy.

For mainstream fragrances, you can order samples from shops such as: http://www.perfume-worldwide.com/try-before-buy
    For the most brilliant niche scents, samples can be ordered from: http://www.luckyscent.com/
    For the greatest variety of options, shop from professional decanters such as: http://theperfumedcourt.com/
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

She seems bright and cheerful but dressy, so I'm thinking citrus is good. And looking at Glamourous, I see that she must like white flowers and musk. I agree with Kiliwia about Miss Dior Cherie - which I think is a really bright and cheerful scent, and Idylle by Guerlain, which is a nice floral and musk combination that I was going to recommend as well based comments about Glamourous. Also make sure that she tries my favorite citrus feminine, Chanel no.5 Eau Première.

I agree with Quarry - a box of samples or an afternoon out sniffing around is more likely to yield something she'll really love. I don't know about your gal, but many women would love being taken out for a day of fragrance shopping, with a nice lunch in the middle to mull over the early results. A sniffing and sample-collecting excursion can be a lot of fun, too. I'm sure you'll get a nice list of things to try very shortly.

Good luck, and welcome to Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

I agree with Quarry - a box of samples or an afternoon out sniffing around is more likely to yield something she'll really love. I don't know about your gal, but many women would love being taken out for a day of fragrance shopping, with a nice lunch in the middle to mull over the early results. A sniffing and sample-collecting excursion can be a lot of fun, too. I'm sure you'll get a nice list of things to try very shortly.
    From a feminine perspective, this is one of the nicest gifts you can give - the gift of your time and attention. Plus, you can find something that you both will enjoy. I would highly recommend this method of selection!
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    according to what I have read the scent should match the look and personality so I am going to start over and just ask for suggestions.
    Where did you read that? What a load of .... rubbish.

I might remind people that you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    ... I am trying to find a replacement for Ralph Lauren Glamourous for my girlfriend. As far as I know it has been discontinued and I absolutely LOVE that on her, I'm not real good at describing scents but it is so rich and sexy. Anyhow any suggestions would be appreciated ...
    I think we've established that you love the smell - you didn't say "ooh, it's such a great match with her looks and personality" - because that would be a load of ....rubbish.

Seriously, get down to your local perfume retailer and try these:

Estee Lauder: Pleasures
    Dior: Lily
    Gucci: Eau de Gucci
    Elizabeth Arden: 5th Avenue or Splendor
    Vera Wang: Sheer Veil
    Acqua di Parma: Magnolia Nobile
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 27th November 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thank you for the suggestion. didn't know I could do that, just get samples. Just might give that a shot.

I think what Dr Rudi was trying to say is that there are all sorts of reasons people pick out scents and I really don't think any one way is the right way. There are theories of course based on skin tone or hair color or personal style, but when it comes down to it, it is really all about what is pleasing to your nose.

I think sephora offers a gift certificate w/ samples where you pick like 5 samples and then you apply the gc to any fragrance in the store. Glamourous is a bit citrusy with lots of floral notes. Some others you might want to test are: Burberry (original), Chopard Mira-bai, Chanel Allure. There are so many great scents out there. It's nice to get a surprise, but you two could have fun going out testing together. Plus it makes it easier the next time because you'll have a good idea of the sorts of things in fragrances that she really likes. good luck with your search!

Thank you jacona. I think I was trying to over complicate things. After trying several I bought Viva La Juicy for now, I might be completely off base but to me it smelled a lot like what I think she will like. I'm not real good at describing things like that but there was a certain scent in Glamourous that I can best describe a pearlecsent, think maybe someone said may be the jasmine but was a real smooth silky scent. But anyway thank you foe the help.

Glenn