Code of Conduct

Default YSL M7, new vs. old formula, need some help

I read the old topics about the M7 reformulated, but I'm still not sure if I will blind buy the new formula (the only one available in my country) .I've tested the old formula and my questions are:

The new formula its the water-down version of the old M7 (projection and longevity issues)?

The new formula smell different to the old one (the cherry vibe its toned down)?

It's still the new formula of M7 a great fragrance, or the geniuses from P&G destroy this true classic?
    Last edited by Lucian; 27th November 2010 at 04:57 PM.

Default Re: YSL M7, new vs. old formula, need some help

I have tried M7 vintage, and I have purchased bottles of the current formulation. I think M7 is still an excellent fragrance with good longevity and projection. There may be some changes in the current formulations notes, but it is still worth purchasing. It is one of the better designer fragrances available. Enjoy it!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
    I read the old topics about the M7 reformulated, but I'm still not sure if I will blind buy the new formula (the only one available in my country) .I've tested the old formula and my questions are:

The new formula its the water-down version of the old M7 (projection and longevity issues)?

The new formula smell different to the old one (the cherry vibe its toned down)?

It's still the new formula of M7 a great fragrance, or the geniuses from P&G destroy this true classic?
    Well, if you're fanatic about M7, you won't be satisfied with the new formula.
    I had a chance to try it on skin, and i found the projection ok. The longevity is good, but not like M7, which on me lasted from on day to other and sometimes didn't go out of my clothes even washign them.
    The new formula of M7 seems more woodier for me and less sweet i think. I have an impression that they changed something in the musk and amber that supported the oud note at the base. What bothers me in the new one is that i detect sometimes a plastic note at the opening that i cannot stand.
    If you love the old M7, you can still get some at the net.

Only have the one that first came out and I find it has great longevity.

Im curious too about the difference. I have only smelled the new one, and it's not what I expected from many old reviews or comments. I expected a strong oudy fragrance, but the oud is pretty much in the background. To me, the new one is more sweet than woody, with almost candied fuits, like egoiste. At least to my nose, a cherry note is still pretty much in evidence. Not bad at all, but it's definitely not the dark monster I was led to expect.

But perhaps, it's just that now we have become much more acquainted with oud perfumes.

I would not buy perfumes without smelling them first - even if they're very good, they may simply not suit one's taste. Unless of course money is no issue.

cacio

old or new they're still both good!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

comparable to any other fragrances? I've been wanting to sniff this but I can't find locally to try. what else does it smell similar to?

Thanks all for the help, I think I will give a try to the new M7.

Is there any way of telling old from new from just the box? Does anyone know a source for the old stuff?

I'm trying to find some but it's almost impossible to tell from the stock photos. eBay sometimes has photos of the actual item, but it's usually sealed in a box.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
    Thanks all for the help, I think I will give a try to the new M7.
    Both are great.Enjoy life now!

I don't believe there is. I was in a store this past weekend and had them open the box up as I was uncertain, only to find it was the newer style bottle inside. They sprayed a bit on a blotter and I couldn't detect too much difference, though I didn't have the original to compare it to either. Aside from the possible change in fragrance, one thing is for certain: the newer bottle is f'ugly compared to the original's amberish, transparent hue.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Well, if you're fanatic about M7, you won't be satisfied with the new formula.
    I had a chance to try it on skin, and i found the projection ok. The longevity is good, but not like M7, which on me lasted from on day to other and sometimes didn't go out of my clothes even washign them.
    The new formula of M7 seems more woodier for me and less sweet i think. I have an impression that they changed something in the musk and amber that supported the oud note at the base. What bothers me in the new one is that i detect sometimes a plastic note at the opening that i cannot stand.
    If you love the old M7, you can still get some at the net.
    I can't agree more with Rickbr !!! Had it when it came out and bougth another bottle last year.....won t buy another one again... defenetly not the same...

ath

Because there has been more than enough said about the infamous M7 in reviews and comparisons between formulations, I would like to write my point of view, as I have been wearing them both (reformulated and original formula) since they were released. The reformulated version has the same longevity but is less powdery and has a more sharp, woody accord to it. Women actually preferred the reformulated version rather than the original formula-which was described many times as a grandmas purse.

edit-this is said by testing them both, side by side.
    Last edited by ath; 16th January 2013 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Because there has been more than enough said about the infamous M7 in reviews and comparisons between formulations, I would like to write my point of view, as I have been wearing them both (reformulated and original formula) since they were released. The reformulated version has the same longevity but is less powdery and has a more sharp, woody accord to it. Women actually preferred the reformulated version rather than the original formula-which was described many times as a grandmas purse.
    This was actually constructive and helpful post. I agree totally about the sharpness. M7 reformulated is less refined or to say more accurately - less polished.

My 2 cents, after many attempts side-by-side: the "reformulated" version is, in one word , "sweeter" than the vintage one..

(please note that "reformulated" version does NOT mean automatically "clear glass bottle")

M7 oud absolu is still a great scent, the cough syrup note has basically gone, is a bit less loud but sillage and duration are quite good and together with rive gauche ph and pour homme was not destroyed like they did with jazz!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon